Help with batch file

I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that have
the same icon, let's call it icon A.  I would like to change icon
A to a different icon, icon B.  I know I can make the changes
individually, shortcut by shortcut, but am wondering if a batch
file might do the trick in one full sweep.  If anyone can tell me
how to create such a batch file, in other words, the various lines
needed, I would be most grateful.

T.i.a.
George

P.S.  Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file.

0
George

George wrote:
> I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that have
> the same icon, let's call it icon A.  I would like to change icon
> A to a different icon, icon B.  I know I can make the changes
> individually, shortcut by shortcut, but am wondering if a batch
> file might do the trick in one full sweep.  If anyone can tell me
> how to create such a batch file, in other words, the various lines
> needed, I would be most grateful.
>
> T.i.a.
> George
>
> P.S.  Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file.

Change one, copy to the other locations/replacing the existing file.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/12/2010 7:11:15 AM
"George" <null@null.net> wrote in

> I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that
> have the same icon, let's call it icon A.  I would like to
> change icon A to a different icon, icon B.  I know I can
> make the changes individually, shortcut by shortcut, but am
> wondering if a batch file might do the trick in one full
> sweep.  If anyone can tell me how to create such a batch
> file, in other words, the various lines needed, I would be
> most grateful.
>
> T.i.a.
> George
>
> P.S.  Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file.

You have to get a few programs and be prepared to spend some
time - but the results are well worth it.

First, you need an icon extractor. I use an oldie freebie but
goodie called Iconjack32 (from PC Magazine year 2000).

Then you need a program like Axialis Icons (which I use) or
Michelangelo (which is mentioned all the time) to make/edit and
then combine icons into a DLL or exe file.

You need to assemble all the icons you like from wherever, and
create a DLL file to be put in your system32 directory. I call
mine "__2010.DLL", so it appears /first/. Whenever you right-
click and get to "change icon" on any icon on the desktop (or in
start menu shortcuts or wherever) it will (usually) start with
the program exe file and then the program directory etc. Many
programs' icons are stupid or butt ugly. So you click down to
win\sys32 and see the icon DLL file. You click on that and you
choose the icon you want.

You have to do that for every icon and doing it once in the
start menu will NOT change the icon for other shortcuts, on the
desktop, etc.

If you have a great program with unbearable-to-look-at icons,
there are other tools, one is resource hacker, one is resource
tuner. There may be more. They will let you change icons (and
other things like dialog boxes text) without actually changing
the /program/.

There are sites devoted to icons which may have links for all
this stuff.

If you have further questions, ask me.

(There is no batch file way to do it, the only other way to do
it is to go inside the registry, FIND the key for each program's
icon, and put in what in my case might be value "default" the
data "__2010.DLL,73" which will give you the seventy FOURTH icon
from the DLL file. But an additional problem is not all programs
(that I've noticed anyway) store their main icon {let alone all
the other icons} in the registry. {For *those* you /need/
resource tuner.})

--
The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
plays with time.

"George" <null@null.net> said this in news item
> I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that have the same
> icon, let's call it icon A.  I would like to change icon A to a different
> icon, icon B.  I know I can make the changes individually, shortcut by
> shortcut, but am wondering if a batch file might do the trick in one full
> sweep.  If anyone can tell me how to create such a batch file, in other
> words, the various lines needed, I would be most grateful.
>
> T.i.a.
> George
>
> P.S.  Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file.

It's fairly easy to automate the creation of icons - the VB Script file
further down will do it. However, in your case this is probably not the
answer. Since your shortcuts reside in different folders and require
different icons, it is difficult to create an automatic process. By the time
you've finished creating, debuggin and testing it, you've probable used ten
times as much time as if you had done it manually.

'Create a shortcut with VB Script
sName = "d:\Test.lnk"
Set oFSO   = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
if oFSO.FileExists(sName) then oFSO.DeleteFile(sName)
Set oShortcut = oShell.CreateShortcut(sName)

With oShortcut
  .TargetPath   = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\Excel.exe"
  .arguments    = ""
  .Description  = "Excel Launcher"
  .IconLocation = "e:\Technical\Icons\progman15.ico"
  .HotKey = "Alt+Shift+A"
  .Save
End With

0
Pegasus
2/12/2010 11:46:21 AM
"George" <null@null.net> wrote in

> I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that
> have the same icon, let's call it icon A.  I would like to
> change icon A to a different icon, icon B.  I know I can
> make the changes individually, shortcut by shortcut, but am
> wondering if a batch file might do the trick in one full
> sweep.  If anyone can tell me how to create such a batch
> file, in other words, the various lines needed, I would be
> most grateful.
>
> T.i.a.
> George
>
> P.S.  Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file.

The simpler way, and if you only have a few icons to deal with,
is this:

Search in the registry for the types of files using icon A. (I
will /assume) they are all the same kind of file, although it
does raise a variety of questions, like HOW did they all end up
the same. IME, most icons which are the same are basic system
icons and changing them might not be a good idea.)

Change the icon data for that file extension to "c:\windows\SOME
DIR OR JUST ROOT\iconB.ico" (or somewhere else, or even one of
the few icons in a small DLL file as described in my previous
post).

Still has to be done manually. Making even a small DLL file has
the advantage of keeping most of it in one place. Anytime you
reinstall the system or some (usually) MS program messes with
it, you MAY have to do it again.

--
The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
plays with time.
Karel Capek
0
thanatoid

sumifs help

Help !

Practice Files
Hi. I just purchased a used copy of "Step by Step Microsoft Excel 97 Visual Basic" by Reed Jacobson. Unfortunately, the practice files seem to be corupt on the accompanying CD. Does anyone have access to these file that they might send to me or know where I can download them? Thanks, Mike. mdemos@REMOVETHISattglobal.net ...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Uplaod file / Image file grater that 3mb.
Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. What to Do? I am using WINHTTP. You could try WinRar to break the file into smaller chunks Les <shrikant.gurav11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9cccc88a-a554-47ff-866f-c394295483ac@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. > What to Do? > I am using WINHTTP. ...

exch 5.5 help

Problems sharing a file
I'm running Excel 97 SR2 and Win98SE. When I share the workbook Excel wants to save the book. OK. It then notifies me that it contains macros & VB code ... OK. I then get an illegal operation message and it closes Excel without saving. When I open the file again, sharing is not enabled. Did I miss something? Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Oscar ...

Can't load old .PST files
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000 and have saved my .PST files before reformating. After installing Outlook 2000, I tried to get all my mail/calendar/contacts back by using the .PST files I had saved but it doesn't work. I have a file named outlook.pst and one caled archive.pst. How can I use them? If trying to 'read' frm a cd you cannot OL requires read/write access. Copy frm cd to hd, ensure read only flag is off, then in OL File/Open/Personal Folders.... browse to location David "Louise" <pou@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:064201c36b45$9136f7c0$a101280a@p...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Publisher (PUB) file viewer?
How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having the actual software? You don't. You can't. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Steezy20" <Steezy20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75144304-0B4C-4EED-B4F7-614D6085FD65@microsoft.com... > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having > the > actual software? Steezy20 wrote: > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without > having the actual software? Look, you l...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

Looking for control to browse files
Hi, I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I amworking with) I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such. I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item. I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good. What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file, something like a simple Open dialog Can someone point me to the right documentation, please ...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

CFile::GetLength error in processing HUGE file.
Hi�� I have a question about my VC6 app. I read a huge binary file, which is >4GB. An exception will throwed when I run to the code below: .... CFile fileSrc(strSrcFilePath,CFile::modeRead); dwSrcLen = (unsigned long)fileSrc.GetLength(); <--- this row of code results in error! .... My app hangs in EINCORE.CPP, and the debug message is: CFile exception: generic, File Unknown, OS error information = 87. Any helps? Thanks. David, You do know that the largest integer that can be stored in a 32- bit unsigned long is 4 gig, right? So, clearly you are not going to get the value you w...