HELP!! Windows Explorer Hangs on Startup!

Hi all,

I've had this Presario 2195US laptop for 4-5 years; running XP from SP1 to
(now) SP3... no problems.  2-3 weeks ago, I tried to connect a 160gb
USB-encased hard drive with no luck... proceeding along I pretty much hosed
my windows.

Anyway, I decided to reformat/install a copy of XP Pro w/SP3 (thought XP
Home didn't like 160gb) and, after a few MS updates, every time I boot the
system it shows the DESKTOP, the bottom left of the TaskBar and NOTHING on
bottom-right.  Cursor moves, I can Ctrl-Alt-Delete and, when I move cursor
to TaskBar area... cursor turns into the old hour-glass.

I then reinstall with the original Compaq QuickRestore CDs (started with
HOME SP1 and updated thru SP3)... and somewhere along in the MS Updates...
same symptom... boot ends up with SHOWING DESKTOP, half TaskBar, moving
cursor but can't do anything else.  Again, this setup worked for last 4-5
years.

I found that booting to Safe Mode and System Restore to the last CheckPoint
gave me my system back... which worked as long as I did NOT reboot.
Googling for a last week or so... I saw someone would Ctrl-Alt-Delete to
TaskManager, kill EXPLORER and then do a NEW TASK and manually start
EXPLORER... Works like a champ... but does get old after every reboot.

So... SafeMode works... tried going thru MSCONFIG list but with a huge list
and constant rebooting take hours.  Killing/starting Explorer works... but I
don't understand why Explorer hangs when Windows starts up but then works
when manually started??

Has anyone seen this before... and resolved it??  Sure could use some
help... going crazy now!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

0
Steve

On 8/3/2010 2:41 PM, Steve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had this Presario 2195US laptop for 4-5 years; running XP from SP1 to
> (now) SP3... no problems.  2-3 weeks ago, I tried to connect a 160gb
> USB-encased hard drive with no luck... proceeding along I pretty much hosed
> my windows.
>
> Anyway, I decided to reformat/install a copy of XP Pro w/SP3 (thought XP
> Home didn't like 160gb) and, after a few MS updates, every time I boot the
> system it shows the DESKTOP, the bottom left of the TaskBar and NOTHING on
> bottom-right.  Cursor moves, I can Ctrl-Alt-Delete and, when I move cursor
> to TaskBar area... cursor turns into the old hour-glass.
>
> I then reinstall with the original Compaq QuickRestore CDs (started with
> HOME SP1 and updated thru SP3)... and somewhere along in the MS Updates...
> same symptom... boot ends up with SHOWING DESKTOP, half TaskBar, moving
> cursor but can't do anything else.  Again, this setup worked for last 4-5
> years.
>
> I found that booting to Safe Mode and System Restore to the last CheckPoint
> gave me my system back... which worked as long as I did NOT reboot.
> Googling for a last week or so... I saw someone would Ctrl-Alt-Delete to
> TaskManager, kill EXPLORER and then do a NEW TASK and manually start
> EXPLORER... Works like a champ... but does get old after every reboot.
>
> So... SafeMode works... tried going thru MSCONFIG list but with a huge list
> and constant rebooting take hours.  Killing/starting Explorer works... but I
> don't understand why Explorer hangs when Windows starts up but then works
> when manually started??
>
> Has anyone seen this before... and resolved it??  Sure could use some
> help... going crazy now!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Check to make sure that your hard drive isn't set to PIO. You can check
in System Properties where you should go to Hardware/Device Manager/IDE
ATA/ATPI controllers/Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to
Properties/Advanced Settings tab. The setting under Transfer Mode should
be DMA and the Current Transfer Mode should be Ultra DMA Mode

--
Peter Taylor
0

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I checked and it's set
to "Ultra DMA Mode 5"... Steve

"Peter Taylor" <fakeemail@fakeemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On 8/3/2010 2:41 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've had this Presario 2195US laptop for 4-5 years; running XP from SP1
>> (now) SP3... no problems.  2-3 weeks ago, I tried to connect a 160gb
>> USB-encased hard drive with no luck... proceeding along I pretty much
>> hosed
>> my windows.
>>
>> Anyway, I decided to reformat/install a copy of XP Pro w/SP3 (thought XP
>> Home didn't like 160gb) and, after a few MS updates, every time I boot
>> the
>> system it shows the DESKTOP, the bottom left of the TaskBar and NOTHING
>> on
>> bottom-right.  Cursor moves, I can Ctrl-Alt-Delete and, when I move
>> cursor
>> to TaskBar area... cursor turns into the old hour-glass.
>>
>> I then reinstall with the original Compaq QuickRestore CDs (started with
>> HOME SP1 and updated thru SP3)... and somewhere along in the MS
>> Updates...
>> same symptom... boot ends up with SHOWING DESKTOP, half TaskBar, moving
>> cursor but can't do anything else.  Again, this setup worked for last 4-5
>> years.
>>
>> I found that booting to Safe Mode and System Restore to the last
>> CheckPoint
>> gave me my system back... which worked as long as I did NOT reboot.
>> Googling for a last week or so... I saw someone would Ctrl-Alt-Delete to
>> TaskManager, kill EXPLORER and then do a NEW TASK and manually start
>> EXPLORER... Works like a champ... but does get old after every reboot.
>>
>> So... SafeMode works... tried going thru MSCONFIG list but with a huge
>> list
>> and constant rebooting take hours.  Killing/starting Explorer works...
>> but I
>> don't understand why Explorer hangs when Windows starts up but then works
>> when manually started??
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before... and resolved it??  Sure could use some
>> help... going crazy now!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Steve
>>

> Check to make sure that your hard drive isn't set to PIO. You can check in
> System Properties where you should go to Hardware/Device Manager/IDE
> ATA/ATPI controllers/Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to
> Properties/Advanced Settings tab. The setting under Transfer Mode should
> be DMA and the Current Transfer Mode should be Ultra DMA Mode
>
> --
> Peter Taylor

0
Steve
8/3/2010 4:18:59 PM
On 8/3/2010 6:18 PM, Steve wrote:
> Hi Peter...
>
> I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I checked and it's set
> to "Ultra DMA Mode 5"... Steve

Hmmmm, sounds bad. Try doing a chkdsk /f to make sure the hard drive
isn't screwed. Does the BIOS also say Ultra DMA?

--
Peter Taylor
0

Ran chkdsk/f thru with NO errors... checked BIOS and it only has 3-5 user
settings... none are "drive related".  Pretty simple BIOS

> On 8/3/2010 6:18 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Hi Peter...
>>
>> I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I checked and it's
>> set
>> to "Ultra DMA Mode 5"... Steve
>
> Hmmmm, sounds bad. Try doing a chkdsk /f to make sure the hard drive isn't
> screwed. Does the BIOS also say Ultra DMA?
>>

>> "Peter Taylor"<fakeemail@fakeemail.com.invalid>  wrote in message

>>> Check to make sure that your hard drive isn't set to PIO. You can check
>>> in
>>> System Properties where you should go to Hardware/Device Manager/IDE
>>> ATA/ATPI controllers/Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to
>>> Properties/Advanced Settings tab. The setting under Transfer Mode should
>>> be DMA and the Current Transfer Mode should be Ultra DMA Mode
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Taylor
>>

> --
> Peter Taylor

0
Steve
8/3/2010 6:36:45 PM

"Steve" wrote:

> Hi again...
>
> Ran chkdsk/f thru with NO errors... checked BIOS and it only has 3-5 user
> settings... none are "drive related".  Pretty simple BIOS
> Steve

Have you checked the Compaq website for updated drivers? This sounds like it
could be driver related if the machine works in Safe Mode when drivers aren't
loaded.

> "Peter Taylor" <fakeemail@fakeemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > On 8/3/2010 6:18 PM, Steve wrote:
> >> Hi Peter...
> >>
> >> I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I checked and it's
> >> set
> >> to "Ultra DMA Mode 5"... Steve
> >
> > Hmmmm, sounds bad. Try doing a chkdsk /f to make sure the hard drive isn't
> > screwed. Does the BIOS also say Ultra DMA?
> >>

> >> "Peter Taylor"<fakeemail@fakeemail.com.invalid>  wrote in message

> > --
> > Peter Taylor
>

> .

Hey Peter...

Finally figured it out... one of the latest Windows Updates did "something"
and it caused some sort of grief with the SERVICE named "Windows
Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)".  Now that I've disabled that
service... system boots up just fine... however... I've lost the Windows
Firewall capability!?!!!

I really don't understand why a common/necessary "Firewall Service" update
is now screwing up my machine... especially when I can kill EXPLORER.EXE;
restart it and system boots up just fine from there!????  And that's WITH
the "Firewall Service" running??

Steve

"Mark Adams" <MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Steve" wrote:
>
>> Hi again...
>>
>> Ran chkdsk/f thru with NO errors... checked BIOS and it only has 3-5 user
>> settings... none are "drive related".  Pretty simple BIOS
>> Steve
>>

> Have you checked the Compaq website for updated drivers? This sounds like
> it
> could be driver related if the machine works in Safe Mode when drivers
> aren't
> loaded.
>

>> "Peter Taylor" <fakeemail@fakeemail.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Hmmmm, sounds bad. Try doing a chkdsk /f to make sure the hard drive
>> > isn't
>> > screwed. Does the BIOS also say Ultra DMA?

>> > --
>> > Peter Taylor
>>

>> .

0
SteveK50
8/4/2010 11:02:38 PM
On 8/5/2010 1:02 AM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Hey Peter...
>
> Finally figured it out... one of the latest Windows Updates did "something"
> and it caused some sort of grief with the SERVICE named "Windows
> Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)".  Now that I've disabled that
> service... system boots up just fine... however... I've lost the Windows
> Firewall capability!?!!!
>
> I really don't understand why a common/necessary "Firewall Service" update
> is now screwing up my machine... especially when I can kill EXPLORER.EXE;
> restart it and system boots up just fine from there!????  And that's WITH
> the "Firewall Service" running??
>
> Steve

Just a shot in the dark but do you have another firewall installed that
perhaps came with an anti virus suite?

--
Peter Taylor
0

Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP built-in
Firewall turned OFF.  Since running into this problem last week; I have
since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO (on
second)... NO AV at all.

Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
25-30 updates and then it hung.  So I figure Windows Firewall was turned ON
right after SP2 and I didn't change that.  Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which I
put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook to
read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
APPS AT ALL.

I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out and
see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.

It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).

Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do... are
VERY WELCOME.

Steve

"Peter Taylor" <noemailspam@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On 8/5/2010 1:02 AM, SteveK50 wrote:
>> Hey Peter...
>>
>> Finally figured it out... one of the latest Windows Updates did
>> "something"
>> and it caused some sort of grief with the SERVICE named "Windows
>> Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)".  Now that I've disabled that
>> service... system boots up just fine... however... I've lost the Windows
>> Firewall capability!?!!!
>>
>> I really don't understand why a common/necessary "Firewall Service"
>> update
>> is now screwing up my machine... especially when I can kill EXPLORER.EXE;
>> restart it and system boots up just fine from there!????  And that's WITH
>> the "Firewall Service" running??
>>
>> Steve
>
> Just a shot in the dark but do you have another firewall installed that
> perhaps came with an anti virus suite?
>>

>> "Mark Adams"<MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in message

>>> Have you checked the Compaq website for updated drivers? This sounds
>>> like
>>> it
>>> could be driver related if the machine works in Safe Mode when drivers
>>> aren't
>>> loaded.

> --
> Peter Taylor

0
SteveK50
8/5/2010 12:39:33 PM
On 8/5/2010 2:39 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Morning...
>
> Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP built-in
> Firewall turned OFF.  Since running into this problem last week; I have
> since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO (on
> second)... NO AV at all.
>
> Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
> downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
> 25-30 updates and then it hung.  So I figure Windows Firewall was turned ON
> right after SP2 and I didn't change that.  Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which I
> put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook to
> read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
> APPS AT ALL.
>
> I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out and
> see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.
>
> It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
> up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).
>
> Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
> Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do... are
> VERY WELCOME.
>
> Steve

After you installed SP3, did you reboot twice? Did you install the chip
set drivers, video drivers, USB drivers and audio drivers and were the
latest ones or the ones on a CD?

--
Peter Taylor
0

Not sure what you mean...

  1. XP Home w/SP1... came from Compaq QuickRestore CDs... so all drivers
came directly from manufacturer's CDs
  2. XP Pro w/SP2... was an actual Microsoft CD... but only Compaq drivers I
loaded were... video, WLAN, TouchPad and HP-special key drivers... hotkeys
to IE, mail, mute sound, etc.

In BOTH cases... installed OS, then (XP Pro) loaded extra drivers and THEN
"forced" updates (with Windows Update App)...  SP3 came down BUT I only
rebooted ONCE (??) and all was still ok.  It was the next Update Set where
things went to hell-in-a-handbasket... I'd guess about 30-40 downloads in
that "single" download.

Oh yeah... I did go back (2-3 days ago) and RE-INSTALLED the ATI video
driver... I think I was looking for the "update driver" part (of Device
Manager) and saw the Compaq version number was changed to "Windows Update"
(or Windows Download)... so I did reinstall THAT one.

> On 8/5/2010 2:39 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
>> Morning...
>>
>> Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP
>> built-in
>> Firewall turned OFF.  Since running into this problem last week; I have
>> since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO
>> (on
>> second)... NO AV at all.
>>
>> Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
>> downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
>> 25-30 updates and then it hung.  So I figure Windows Firewall was turned
>> ON
>> right after SP2 and I didn't change that.  Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which
>> put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook
>> read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
>> APPS AT ALL.
>>
>> I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out
>> and
>> see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.
>>
>> It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
>> up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).
>>
>> Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
>> Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do...
>> are
>> VERY WELCOME.
>>
>> Steve
>
> After you installed SP3, did you reboot twice? Did you install the chip
> set drivers, video drivers, USB drivers and audio drivers and were the
> latest ones or the ones on a CD?
>
> --
> Peter Taylor

0
SteveK50
8/5/2010 7:08:47 PM
On 8/5/2010 9:08 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Hi Peter...
>
> Not sure what you mean...
>
>    1. XP Home w/SP1... came from Compaq QuickRestore CDs... so all drivers
> came directly from manufacturer's CDs
>    2. XP Pro w/SP2... was an actual Microsoft CD... but only Compaq drivers I
> loaded were... video, WLAN, TouchPad and HP-special key drivers... hotkeys
> to IE, mail, mute sound, etc.
>
> In BOTH cases... installed OS, then (XP Pro) loaded extra drivers and THEN
> "forced" updates (with Windows Update App)...  SP3 came down BUT I only
> rebooted ONCE (??) and all was still ok.  It was the next Update Set where
> things went to hell-in-a-handbasket... I'd guess about 30-40 downloads in
> that "single" download.
>
> Oh yeah... I did go back (2-3 days ago) and RE-INSTALLED the ATI video
> driver... I think I was looking for the "update driver" part (of Device
> Manager) and saw the Compaq version number was changed to "Windows Update"
> (or Windows Download)... so I did reinstall THAT one.
>
> Steve
>

> "Peter Taylor"<noemailspam@please.com.invalid>  wrote in message
>> On 8/5/2010 2:39 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
>>> Morning...
>>>
>>> Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP
>>> built-in
>>> Firewall turned OFF.  Since running into this problem last week; I have
>>> since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO
>>> (on
>>> second)... NO AV at all.
>>>
>>> Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
>>> downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
>>> 25-30 updates and then it hung.  So I figure Windows Firewall was turned
>>> ON
>>> right after SP2 and I didn't change that.  Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which
>>> put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook
>>> read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
>>> APPS AT ALL.
>>>
>>> I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out
>>> and
>>> see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.
>>>
>>> It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
>>> up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).
>>>
>>> Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
>>> Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do...
>>> are
>>> VERY WELCOME.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> After you installed SP3, did you reboot twice? Did you install the chip
>> set drivers, video drivers, USB drivers and audio drivers and were the
>> latest ones or the ones on a CD?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Taylor

Try it again and reboot twice after installing SP3. MS says rebooting
twice is a requirement for a good install which may be the reason the
subsequent updates went to hell. I personally use the SP3 CD and it's
the first thing I install after Windows loads for the first time. Check
at the video card manufacturer's web site for video drivers. Video
drivers have surely been updated since that Compaq CD was made.

You can download the .iso file to make an SP3 CD from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

--
Peter Taylor
0

Reply window size
Whenever I reply to a message, the window always maximizes, and the fonts change. I'm more concerned about just having the reply window stay teh regular size as the e-mail I am reading and replying to. Thanks. ...

sumifs help

Help !

Forms, tables, etc. open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar
Dear All How can I set Access 2007 up in order to have the windows (forms, tables, etc.) open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar? In short, I would like to have Access 2007 behaving likewise Access 2003, regarding opening windows. Thanks in advance, Paul Hi Paul, I don't believe this capability exists in Access 2007. You can have the objects open in separate windows within the object workspace by doing this: - Click the Office button - Click Access Options (bottom left corner) - Click Current Database category - Under the Application Options section for the r...

Publisher 2003: Windows Installer error 1635
Publisher 2003 and the rest of Office 11 is also installed, Windows XP Home SP1 In Publisher > New Publication > Business forms > Invoice > I get several choices, but when I try to load one of them, I get the error alerts: "Publisher cannot run this wizard. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" When I try to install even with the Office CD inserted . "Publisher cannot run this wizard. Microsoft Office Publisher cannot install the necessary files due to Windows Installer error 1635." It seems I used to have no problem ins...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Powerpoint viewer 2007 on windows embedded standard 2009
I had trying to install powerpoint viewer 2007 to my windows embedded system, but it cannot open pptx file and get an error message "This file requires the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system to view its contents". After i installed fileformatconverter.exe i get another error message "The converter failed to save the file". The powerpoint viewer does run 2003 ver file only for 2007 ver having this problem. ...

exch 5.5 help

C#.net windows application
Since I am new to c#.net 2008 but I have worked a little with visual basic.net 2005, I have the following questions I would like to ask: 1. When I am looking at a .sln file that I will be maintaining a work, I can see there are lots of static void Main() methods in a file called program.cs throughout the solution in separate folderts. Can you tell me the purpose of this kind of code? Does this instantiate an object, is this a class libary member? 2. When running the C#.net 2008 professional version windows application, how do I know which 'main' method is being called? ...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Windows XP 64bit Movie Maker
Hi, Currently i'm using some 32bit Windows Movie Maker filters (*.ax / *.dll) as effects in a project i'm building, and i have to port my project to 64bits. Because 32bit filters don't work on a 64bit system, my question is : does it exist a Windows Movie Maker 64Bit for Windows XP 64bit? Thanks, Alex. ...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

Windows Live Mail sync
Where is the setup information for: Windows Live Mail Desktop Calendar sync with Calendar.live.com calendar. -- Arne Garvander (Happily unemployed professional Geek) Just log in with your Windows Live Id.... at the right end of the toolbar. "Arne Garvander" <ArneGarvander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83D3B881-97B4-4C58-9084-6B0D53DF85FF@microsoft.com... > Where is the setup information for: > Windows Live Mail Desktop Calendar sync with Calendar.live.com > calendar. > > > -- > Arne Garvander > (Happily une...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Cached Outlook 2003 hangs "waiting to update"
Running Echange server 2003. Laptop client Win XP PRO and Office 2003 (Outlook 2003)using "cached exchange". Network connection 100MB/s hardwired, fixed IP. Upon startup the message "waiting to update folder" for inbox stays up several minutes. When updating finally starts, a few Kb may take more than an hour to update. Have check the various KB articles and found no solution. Curious: If I run detect and repair (even without closing Outlook) the update recovers and continues at full network speed once the D&R process completes. If I am lucky, it will sti...