HD problem

A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
"Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
same message.

Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
get a new HD before it dies?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0

Jan Philips wrote:
> A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
> "Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
> Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
> later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
> problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
> same message.
>
> Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
> get a new HD before it dies?

It does seem to be time for a new drive, but you could first download
run the diagnostic software from the disk manufacturer.
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem
11/19/2009 4:46:10 PM

"Jan Philips" wrote:

> A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
> "Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
> Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
> later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
> problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
> same message.
>
> Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
> get a new HD before it dies?
> --
> Replace you know what by j to email
> .

Sounds like your hard drive is going South. Buy a new one and use the
cloning software that comes with it to clone your installation on the old
drive to the new drive while you still have a chance. Then use the diagnostic
utilities provided by the maker of the failing drive to test it. Even if it
tests OK, you will now have peace of mind that you are not about to have a
failure. New hard drives are pretty cheap these days.
Jan Philips wrote:

> A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
> "Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
> Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
> later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
> problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
> same message.
>
> Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
> get a new HD before it dies?

You never mention HOW you ran chkdsk.  So what command-line parameters
did you specify?  To see them (other than using Windows' own help via
Start -> Help and Support to read up on them), open a command shell
(cmd.exe) and run "chkdsk /?".  So did you use the /f parameter?
Probably better (but only when you won't be using the computer for
awhile because it takes much longer) is to use the /r parameter.  If it
reports any sectors got reallocated (the reserve space on the hard disk
masks to the replacement sector), I run it until it says the disk is
clean.  If it doesn't go clean after 5 runs then it's time to use more
robust diagnostic & repair software (see below).

Did you end up running chkdsk on the wrong drive because you didn't
specify which one to check?

Since it runs against partitions, I would suggest running against every
partition (drive) on the hard disk.  When using the /f or /r parameters,
you will need to reboot your host so the partition isn't inuse when
testing is performed on those partitions.

If using the /r parameter doesn't eliminte the problem then it's time to
use stronger 3rd party utilities.  Some hard disk manufacturers have
diagnostic software you can download from their site.  Alas, these are
marginally better than "chkdsk /r" and some not at all.  SpinRite ($89)
is probably still the best program for fixing bad sector and
misalignment problems in hard drives; however, at its cost, you could
probably buy a replacement hard disk so it makes sense to get it to put
in your software toolbox that you will employ against many hard disks at
once or over some time (i.e., it's cost effective when used against
multiple hard disks).
0
VanguardLH
11/19/2009 6:20:05 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:46:10 -0500, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

>It does seem to be time for a new drive, but you could first download
>run the diagnostic software from the disk manufacturer.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I got SeaTools for Seagate and am running
tests now.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/19/2009 6:40:47 PM
Personally this all comes down to money and time.   If you can afford to,
the best thing to do is buy a new hard drive; costs money but may save time
(ie.  backing up, formatting, installing OS, programes, etc one time) then
what I might do is make the old hard drive your second drive OR you could
reformat current hard drive (after backing up of course), reinstall then
chance the drive being totally inoperable either during the reformat or
worse yet shortly down the road.

From personal experience (and i've done this on quite a few computers) I've
had both happen.  I've reformatted Hard drives and they pretty much lasted
with no problems until the computer itself was obsolete and I've had them
completely crash during a reformat.

As long as you backup the second option isn't as risky but can be a major
inconvenience and a complete waste of time.

So bottom line is time versus money.  Cheap in comparison or not $50 is $50.
If my sons HDD gave such errors on his older computer I'd reformat and
reinstall his old HDD and see what happens versus dumping any money into an
old computer.

If it were mine..........really depends on the mood I was in and if i had
the time. If there were 3 foot of snow outside on a weekend I probably would
opt to reformat as well.

"Jan Philips" <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote in message
>A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
> "Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
> Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
> later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
> problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
> same message.
>
> Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
> get a new HD before it dies?
> --
> Replace you know what by j to email

0
Dan
11/19/2009 7:29:42 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:22:01 -0800, Mark Adams
<MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sounds like your hard drive is going South. Buy a new one and use the
>cloning software that comes with it to clone your installation on the old
>drive to the new drive while you still have a chance.

I think that is my best option.  It is a 500GB which doesn't cost much
these days.  It is the second HD in this computer, so it won't be hard
to replace.

> Even if it
>tests OK, you will now have peace of mind that you are not about to have a
>failure.

The peace of mind and potential aggravation make it worthwhile.
Strange thing, though, it is my youngest HD, only 2 years old.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/19/2009 8:20:24 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:20:05 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>You never mention HOW you ran chkdsk.  So what command-line parameters
>did you specify?

I went to Properties/tools and checked both boxes.  Then I rebooted so
it would run CHKDSK and fix any problems.

>clean.  If it doesn't go clean after 5 runs then it's time to use more
>robust diagnostic & repair software (see below).

I've got Seagates SeaTools running on it right now (the second HD in
this computer).

>Did you end up running chkdsk on the wrong drive because you didn't
>specify which one to check?

No, I checked.

>Since it runs against partitions, I would suggest running against every
>partition (drive) on the hard disk.

It only has one partition.

>diagnostic software you can download from their site.  Alas, these are
>marginally better than "chkdsk /r" and some not at all.  SpinRite ($89)
>is probably still the best program for fixing bad sector and
>misalignment problems in hard drives; however, at its cost, you could
>probably buy a replacement hard disk

Yes, I used SpinRite many years ago.  I looked at it yesterday, and it
hasn't been updated in 4 or 5 years.  And, as you say, I can buy a new
HD for that amount of money.

Thank you for your reply.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/19/2009 8:24:22 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:34:37 -0500, Jan Philips
<youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote:

The Seagate SeaTools diagnostics finished after several hours but
showed no problem.  But with the error occurring 3 times in about a
week, I don't feel comfortable so I plan to replace the drive
tomorrow.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/20/2009 3:54:50 AM
Are the fans working?

An overheating problem could cause erratic behaviour.

teabag

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:34:37 -0500, Jan Philips
> <youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> The Seagate SeaTools diagnostics finished after several hours but
> showed no problem.  But with the error occurring 3 times in about a
> week, I don't feel comfortable so I plan to replace the drive
> tomorrow.
> --
> Replace you know what by j to email

0
teabag
11/20/2009 9:30:26 AM
Jan Philips wrote:
> A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
> "Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
> Chkdsk and it found no problems.  The software worked until three days
> later and it had the same problem.  I ran Chkdsk again, still found no
> problems.  Then it worked again until two days later, when I got the
> same message.
>
> Is the HD about to go bad?  Will formatting it help?  Or it is time to
> get a new HD before it dies?

Just for chuckles, download HDTune and use the Error Scan tab. Each block on
the screen, will represent many megabytes of data. See if any blocks
are non-green, implying something happened within that chunk. Since
the disk is scanned raw, every block should be tested. It is not a
partition based scan. I like the fact I get visual feedback while
it is running, and that it can be stopped if all I wanted to see
is the health of the first gigabyte of the disk.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html            (ver 2.55 is free)

Everyone else seems to be quite comfortable with your symptoms,
but "sector 63" bothers me. The CHS geometry of my disk, uses
what looks like 63 sectors per track. Sector numbers start at
zero. "Sector 63" is the first sector of the second track.
My partition table shows, sector 0 is the MBR, and the rest
of the first track is not used (at least, I don't know what is
hiding in there). My very first partition starts at sector 63.
That may not contain actual user data or a file. The partition
boot sectors are stored up in the front of the partition. There
is a primary and a backup boot sector in there. In fact, that
might be the primary boot sector. If that was unreadable, wouldn't
your OS be un-bootable ? I don't know whether the OS is smart
enough to access the backup boot sector or not. When I looked
at mine, what impressed me about my setup, is it doesn't look
like the backup boot sector is valid.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-sector-damaged.htm

The program TestDisk, has the ability to "dump" the boot sector
section of a partition. I'm running the Windows version at
the moment.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

To navigate there, start the program. Use "Create" to create
a log file (a don't care for now). Select the disk to be
examined (I have two, and I'm looking at the first one.)
I used "Proceed" at this point. Then "Intel" for the partition
setup type.

That brings you to the main menu. Select "Advanced".

Cursor down to the partition you want to examine the partition
boot sector on. If you have only one partition, there should
be just one entry showing. At the bottom of the screen, "Boot"
should be highlighted, if there is a boot sector present (maybe
it detects the signature bytes). Hit return to go to the Boot
sub-menu.

The right-most option at this level, is "Dump". This will show
the primary and backup boot sectors. When you hit return while
selecting "Dump", that will read the partition boot sectors.
In your case, I'm expecting the sector shown on the left of the
screen, will be the contents of sector 63. If sector 63 was
really busted, then that sector should not be display-able.

You can select the Quit options, and Quit all the menu levels until
the TestDisk program closes, or press control-c to just make
the program quit completely. The control-c option is good for
levels of the program that don't seem to have a quit option.

If you just use the "Dump" option, that shouldn't do anything
to your disk. The above sequence should only have been reading
things.

The amount of data shown, is 0x600 hex. That is 1536 decimal or
three 512 byte sectors worth. So the "boot sector" area displayed,
is actually two chunks of three sectors each. But offset zero on
the left hand side, could well be the "sector 63" your backup
program is complaining about. And I can't help but feel that is
no coincidence. It is a pretty funny sector to be reported as
being fried, of the millions of sectors on your disk.

This might not make any difference to your desire to replace the
disk. I frequently replace my disks, before they show signs of
being on their last legs, so I don't have a problem with you
changing out the disk. It makes your current disk the "backup"
or "snapshot" in a sense, which is a good thing. I'm just
curious why the backup program chose to complain about sector 63,
and nothing else.

To examine your primary partition table (stored in sector 0),
you can use this. That will show the same kind of info that
TestDisk was showing, but with a little less cursor based navigation.
This tool is part of some older version of Partition Magic. Unzip this.
Then double click the PTEDIT32.exe to run the program. What you're
looking at, is the place where the up-to-four primary partition
entries are stored.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/PTEDIT32.zip

(Screenshot of PTEDIT32 viewing a Dell boot disk)
http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/vista-installation-setup/7308d1224108918-hidden-partiton-recovery-dell-xps-420-dell-tbl.gif

    Paul
0
Paul
11/20/2009 11:42:22 AM
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:30:26 -0000, "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>An overheating problem could cause erratic behaviour.

I ran Speccy which gave the temp as a little higher than normal, but
at that time the diagnostics had been running for several hours. Right
now it is at 47C, which is OK.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/20/2009 11:56:53 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:34:37 -0500, Jan Philips
<youknowwhat.mccranie@comcast.net> wrote:

>A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
>"Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
>Chkdsk and it found no problems.

The problem has now happened 4 times.  So 4 times in 8 days it has
prevented my automated daily backup from running, which is
unacceptable to me.  I've bought a HD to replace it and I will use
this one in a non critical situation such as additional backups.

Thanks for all the help.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
0
Jan
11/21/2009 12:00:05 AM
don't junk that drive!

a google search of the string "Failed to read from the Sector 63 of the hard
disk 2" suggests that as a pretty common error, this is not your drive - it
is acronis (that is where the error message always comes from)

this was confirmed here (at bottom):

saying:

"...Finally got it working, following advice from Acronis. I had to tick the
"Do not load CD-ROM drivers" box in Tools -> Options -> Startup.

(Pretty disappointing that the manual says absolutely nothing about this
option. But then the manual's pretty weak on the whole subject of setting up
multi-boot systems.)

I asked Acronis what was going on here, and got this reply:

"Such issue could happen because sometimes (it depends on certain hardware
configuration and some other parameters) it becomes possible, that OS
Selector confuses hard disk drive with CD-ROM drive. As a result, he cannot
read necessary information required to boot and displays this error message...
."

so either do that or click ignore all, but it is a problem with acronis (i
got it on two separate systems, both with WD external drives attached that
otherwise checked out perfectly fine) - and fwiw, i am using acronis v12, so
it hasn't been fixed in two versions since the guy reported in v10

acronis backup software is not too reliable, unfortunately, not much else is
either

Ian Philips wrote:
>>A few days ago my backup software wouldn't work, it gave a message:
>>"Failed to read from the sector 63 of hard disk".  I ran Windows
>>Chkdsk and it found no problems.
>
>The problem has now happened 4 times.  So 4 times in 8 days it has
>prevented my automated daily backup from running, which is
>unacceptable to me.  I've bought a HD to replace it and I will use
>this one in a non critical situation such as additional backups.
>
>Thanks for all the help.

0
dued

Date problem #3
Hi All, I have a problem with the cell display if a dependant cell is empty. I have a date tracking spreadsheet. It tracks the date visits were made to clients. At the top, I have Week of (cell A2) to (cell C2) to display the week start and end dates. The week runs Mon to Sun. The first blank is cell A2 and the user must enter a date, the second blank, cell C2 contains =A2+6 to display the end of the week date. I then have 7 columns, one for each day of the week. Monday thru Sunday. I am trying to get the date to display below each day of the week based on the entry in cell A2. So I have enter...

I'm having problem open up Excel files
I'm having problem open Excel files (Using Office 97) by double clicking the excel file icon. I'm getting a message say "Windows cannot find C:\windows\destop\test.xls, you may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the start vutton, and then click search" "OK button". I have tried to create a new excel file and save it in another dirctory and try to reopen the file by double clicking the file icon. The above message pops up. I have also tried upgrade to Office 2000...

Printer problem
I am running a Brother HL-1230 printer from a computer under Windows XP Professional. Nearly every time I send something to print, the lights flash as it receives data and then the lights go out and nothing happens. The second attempt is always successful. I have re-installed the Brother printer driver. Any ideas what is going on and how to get over the problem please? Bill R Bill R wrote: > I am running a Brother HL-1230 printer from a computer under > Windows XP Professional. Nearly every time I send something to > print, the lights flash as it receives d...

Exchange 2003 newsgroups/public folders problem
Hello, Recently I tried to add newsgroup functionality to my Exchange 2003 installation. I followed instructions, added newsfeed as suggested. Newsgroups that I selected appeared under Newsgroups, public folders were created in Public Folders\Internet Newsgroups just as you would expect. And then... nothing. No articles appear in the public folders :( I checked the dates, I even traced network communication between Exchange and news server - I can see all articles being downloaded. It appears that NNTP part works perfectly - there is even SUCCESS reported in the Event Log. But still ...

Problems with Outlook 2003 to form Microsoft Mail
Hello. My problem is that when forming outlook 2003 does not appear to me the " Microsoft Mail" of type "Mapi" in the mail accounts, to form the mailbox of mail, I have executed the msmail patch. I have everything formed with the account pop3 for Internet without problems, and with the account pst which the post office must enter. Any idea or solution would be helpful. Thank. Excequiel The old MS Mail is no longer supported but can be hacked. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/msmail.htm MSMail doesn't use a pst - it uses the ms mail post office. -- Diane Pore...

Schema update problems
After i run forestprep and domain prep, and installed exchange 2003 software. I can only see the exchange attributes in one domain controller. I'd let it replicate throught the night but there are no changes. Is there any way to force the replication of the schema or update every DC in the network. Thanks in advanced Leandro http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232072 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Leandro Amore" <Leandro.amore@prisma.cc> wrote in message news:%23E7GTdiFGHA.208@tk2m...

outlook has encountered a problem
and cannot continue". I get this message after 1-5 minutes, usually when a message is open, but not always. then the program closes and immediately re-opens. It's Outlook 2002,svc pk 2 and completely updated. I''ve tried repair and reinstalled to no avail. Im using Imap with DSL. Any help will be greatly appreciated I have the identical problem with Outlook 2000 under Windows XP Professional. It works find on the XP Home machines, as well as the 98 machines. Are you noticing this on a Windows XP Pro machine? A response would be appreciated. >-----Original Messa...

Installing a new HD in a Dell that doesn't have a HD. Was: Who has the license for XP, he or I?
As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600 without the hard drive. It has the Product Key on the side, and it came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original OEM Dell reinstallation CD. I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1. Will it still work? Thanks for your help. **For some reason I thought it had had XP Home on it. BTW, I learned a lot in the previous thread about the ease and difficulties of taking a Dell Ccomputer without a hard drive and fixing it up. New questions and possible proble...

Problem in installing file system driver
Hi, I am not able to install my .sys file filter driver.I have written .inf file and while installing this inf file its not giving any error also.Plz help me in solving this. my file filter driver file name is : *****************Here is My .inf file ******************************* [Version] Signature="$Chicago$" Class=MyDriver ClassGuid={286E934F-962E-4e1c-9729-1F65205A094F} Provider=%ADITI% DriverVer=01/22/2004,1.11.1111 [ClassInstall32] Addreg=MyDriverReg [MyDriverReg] HKR,,,,%DisplayClassName% HKR,,Icon,,"-5" [Manufacturer] %ADITI%="Aditi" [SourceDisk...

Problems with Deployment Manager
We are a MS Action Pack subscriber and I've been to hell and back doing a clean install of CRM1.2 on SBS2003 (sp1). I've been through the DEP problem, the KDC problem and now i'm stuck with deployment manager that doesn't deploy. When i try and add a user, it reports, "An error occurred while retrieving the list of users in Active Directory. For more information, contact your System Administrator" I've given up on this, as i can add and administer users via the web interface. But, when i customize forms and try and publish via the DM, it hangs on locating IIS w...

System Restore problems
Windows XP Home SP3 Dell Dimension 2350 computer HP Officejet J3680 printer =============== I was checking System Restore and found the following: In the right window: "FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2010 "9:00:28 pm Printer Driver Officejet J3600 series fax installed" This message keep repeating about every 5 munutes more or less, for the whole day and everyday. Please let me know if you can help me. Thank you. [cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=43426] rocasan wrote: > Windows XP Home SP3 > Dell Dimension 2350 computer > HP Officejet J...

A PUBLIC FOLDER PROBLEM
I HAVE POST THE SAME QUESTION TO OTHER GROUP BUT I DIDNT TOOK ANY ANSWER . WE HAVE EXCHANGE SERVER 2K SP3 , I CREATE ONE PUBLIC FOLDER I HAVE CHECK THE PERMISSIONS AND ARE OK. A USER POST IN THIS PF A EXCEL FILE ,AND HE UPDATE IT ONCE EVERY DAY , SOME TIMES WHEN HE HAS MUCH DATA TO PUT IN THE FILE ,AFTER HE SAVES THE FILE ,WE SEE THAT NO NEW DATA HAVE BEEN SAVE IN THE FILE .ALL THE PROCCES TAKE PLACE IN OUTLOOK 2000 SP2 AND ON WINDOWS 2K SP3 AFTER I SAW THAT ON THE USERS PC IT KEEPS A COPY OF THE FILE IN TEMP WITH THE KNEW DATA . I HAVE CHECK AND THE PERMISSIONS OF PF ONTHE OUTLOOK ...

outlook 2003 scrolling problem... (very annoying)
hi people, i'm trying to figure out how to enable what i would call 'real time scrolling' in outlook 2003. when i click and hold the scroll bar in the MESSAGES pane (you know, where the emails are listed), and i drag it down, the list doesn't move along while i'm dragging. and when i release the mouse button, the list pops to where i released the button. i just can't find a setting to fix this. any help?? thankx a bunch. DV I can't imagine there being a setting for that. (I happen to like it the way it is) I can recommend, instead of dragging the scroll bar...

About Memory release Problem in c++
How can i use the delete operator outside the Dll to release the memory which is being alloced using new operator in dll. thanks for your attention or help. >How can i use the delete operator outside the Dll to release the memory >which is being alloced using new operator in dll. The only way that will work is if both EXE DLL are built with the same version of the compiler, and both use the DLL version of the 'C' run-time, and you don't mix debug & release components. Dave I have sloved this problem by using member function to release the memory. alloc in dl...

Word 07 language selection problem
I use Word 07 SP2 in a powerful PC running Windows 7 Ultimate in 64bit mode. I have a US keyboard. In MS Word I go to Word Option Under personalise your language for Microsoft Office, I set Language settings to English UK as default. I also delete English US from the list of languages. when I open Word the language is still English US. I go to the document, click on Review, click on set language, select English UK as default. I get asked do you want to set the default language to English UK despite the fact that I had already set this as the Office default. I then uncheck detect...

Countif problems
I am currently trying to write a formula that looks up a centre eg Boston and then, from another column, how many 'Bostons' appear between two given dates. Is this possible? Although I am writing this formula other people will have to use it and change the date ranges regularly so it can't be overly complicated. -- Drew C With data arranged as below try the below formula. Query dates are in cells C1 & D1 =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A7>=C1)*(A1:A7<=D1)*(B1:B7="Boston")) Col A Col B Col C Col D 1/25/2010 Boston 1/25/2010 1/28/2010 1/26/2010 NY 1/27/...

CRM Administrator Account Lockout problem
Hi There, In short, I relocated the system admininstrator to a different business unit and subsequently the roles for that user have been removed and I am now locked out of the entire CRM system. No other use has Administrative priviledges/the ones I have set up have yet to be assigned licenses and roles. Please help. Many Thanks, Richard. If you don't have removed your user from A.D. also, you can try to restore database. "Richard Sharp" wrote: > Hi There, > > In short, I relocated the system admininstrator to a different business unit > and subsequentl...

Problems with IE8 and .js files
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and IE 8 (8.0.7600.16385). Had been working with IE8 on Vista Enterprise for some time with no problem. Installed Windows 7 and after a few weeks now I am experiencing problems with some pages that use Javascript. I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything was ok, after a few hours problem is back. Seems like an update is messing up things. I get messages like: 'objName' is not null or not an object. or Object doesn't support this property or method. I have tried using compatibility view and no luck. Any comment or suggestion will be hi...

Import problems
I am trying to import an Excel spreadsheet. The headers in the spreadsheet match the same thing that is in my Access table, name and order. Everytime I try to import, it gives me an error message. Is there something I am doing wrong? Shari, there are a number of things that could be wrong. What was the text on the error message? Without knowing any more about the error, I suggest you try importing into a new table and observe if you still get the error, or if the import is successful. This can give a clue as to what the problem with the excel sheet could be. Jeanette Cunningham "...

Realtek HD sound problem with XP
Hi, I have a problem on my PC now which I cannot solve. I am running XP Pro x64 on my ASrock/AMD rig with Realtek HD 5.1 sound. All was working OK, I had just solved how to get the mic working on the front panel so my old 5.1 speaker system worked fully from the rear 3 sockets. A few days later it booted with three error messages for Realtek system programs that load at startup. ALCMTR.EXE, RTHDCPL.EXE, and ALCWZRD.EXE. All have a message 'Failed to initialise properley (0x0000005)' I have de installed Realtek, re installed the latest copy from their site etc but I ca...

Problem with Public Folders
I am creating a Public Folder to hold a form that users can access, fill in, and then email to the designated user. When I go to Design a Form, I choose to create a Message form (this way, I can have the recipient fields for delivering the form), I modify the form to my custom fields, and then I publish it to the public folder I want the form to be used in. Then, when I try to set the default form of that folder to my custom form, I get a message from Windows: "You cannot create an item of this type in this folder." How can I get my custom (message) form to be used for t...

Large excel file problems?
I have a very large Excel file, about 6mb. The main cuase of that siz is about 20 columns by 8192 rows of data and formulas analyzing tha data (yes..I am afraid that is as compact as I can get it). The othe causes for the size are a lot of formatting, color, text, etc, but I a sure most of it is all the formulas. With the file size being 6mb, i there anything to worry about as far as expecting Excel crashes, o anything of that sort? I am using Excel 97, by the way. Thank you -- gkast ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gkaste's Profile: http://www...

Repost:Problems with external references
Hi, I have a worksheet full of external references to other worksheets on network drives. I have recently updated to excel 2003 and now when I open the workbook, the links point to somewhere on my harddrive (c-drive). How do I get the sheet to point to the network when I open the workbook?.. I still have access to the files on the network. It changes the links on old as well as new files.. any time I set up an external reference, it changes it next time I open the workbook. I have previously used synchronization on my files, which might affect the links, as they are copied down on my ha...

HD trouble?
My computer has been giving me fits reseting itself all the time. I removed all partitions and reformatted everything so it can't be malware. I have SMART enabled in the bios and don't seem to be getting HD failure from it or windows. I get the "blue screen of death" though quite abit and I see codes in the registers. I don't know HD failure codes so I don't really know what's going on. My model number is st300021a. I don't know how to run a HD diagnostic online. Bill "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> screv i...

Outlook form cache problem
In the company where I work, we use custom forms without code. The custom forms are used as a forced form when a new appointment or meeting request is made in a resource calendar (in a public folder). When an existing appointment is opened, most of the time the form is showed. However several times a week there is a problem with the form cache and the default appointment form is displayed instead of the custom form. The problems occur when the user has opened multiple appointments in the same resource calendar. The custom forms in other resource calendars are still available for this u...