Ghost typing

Windows XP running on an older Dell PC.

Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some
Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior.

When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar,
notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or
two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is
disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural
Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse.  I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet
that has worked flawlessly for several years.

I researched this phenomena online and have tried every suggested cure
including:

--Checking Keyboard for stuck key by removing key and cleaning underneath
--Replacing Batteries in the wireless keyboard & mouse
--Updating the Microsoft Keyboard Drivers
--Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard plugged
in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)
--Disabled Speech Recognition in Windows XP
--Updated Drivers for WACOM Tablet
--Removed Drivers and Tablet from system
--Ran multiple types/brands of virus, malware, spyware, hijacking scans
--Performed System Restore to point before Updates and initiation of problem
(problem exists)
--Repeated virus, spyware scans

This behavior appears in SAFE MODE as well.

Any other suggestions?

"RMH7069" <RMH7069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP running on an older Dell PC.
>
> Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some
> Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior.
>
> When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address
> bar,
> notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one
> or
> two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is
> disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural
> Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse.  I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics
> tablet
> that has worked flawlessly for several years.
>
> I researched this phenomena online and have tried every suggested cure
> including:
>
> --Checking Keyboard for stuck key by removing key and cleaning underneath
> --Replacing Batteries in the wireless keyboard & mouse
> --Updating the Microsoft Keyboard Drivers
> --Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard plugged
> in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)
> --Disabled Speech Recognition in Windows XP
> --Updated Drivers for WACOM Tablet
> --Removed Drivers and Tablet from system
> --Ran multiple types/brands of virus, malware, spyware, hijacking scans
> --Performed System Restore to point before Updates and initiation of
> problem
> (problem exists)
> --Repeated virus, spyware scans
>
> This behavior appears in SAFE MODE as well.
>
> Any other suggestions?

When such a phenomenon (!) occurs then the first trouble-shooting step is to
borrow and try someone else's keyboard. This is a very quick test that tells
you immediately if you have a hardware or a software problem. If it's a
software problem then booting the machine into Safe Mode and/or into the
Recovery Console would give you additional information.

0
Pegasus
12/4/2009 5:04:46 PM
On Dec 4, 11:51=A0am, RMH7069 <RMH7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Windows XP running on an older Dell PC.
>
> Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some
> Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior.
>
> When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address ba=
r,
> notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one =
or
> two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is
> disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural
> Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. =A0I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics ta=
blet
> that has worked flawlessly for several years.
>
> I researched this phenomena online and have tried every suggested cure
> including:
>
> --Checking Keyboard for stuck key by removing key and cleaning underneath
> --Replacing Batteries in the wireless keyboard & mouse
> --Updating the Microsoft Keyboard Drivers
> --Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard plugge=
> in and configured. =A0(Same behavior and disabled W key)
> --Disabled Speech Recognition in Windows XP
> --Updated Drivers for WACOM Tablet
> --Removed Drivers and Tablet from system
> --Ran multiple types/brands of virus, malware, spyware, hijacking scans
> --Performed System Restore to point before Updates and initiation of prob=
lem
> (problem exists)
> --Repeated virus, spyware scans
>
> This behavior appears in SAFE MODE as well.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Before your list of troubleshooting efforts you say that the W is
disabled - how did the W get disabled?

Were the suggested cures you tried specific for repeating W or general
purpose cures?

Windows 7 has been "out" for over a month now - have you been having
this problem for that long?
0
Jose
12/4/2009 7:04:23 PM

"Jose" wrote:

> On Dec 4, 11:51 am, RMH7069 <RMH7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Windows XP running on an older Dell PC.
> >
> > Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some
> > Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior.
> >
> > When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar,
> > notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or
> > two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is
> > disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural
> > Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse.  I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet
> > that has worked flawlessly for several years.
> >
> > I researched this phenomena online and have tried every suggested cure
> > including:
> >
> > --Checking Keyboard for stuck key by removing key and cleaning underneath
> > --Replacing Batteries in the wireless keyboard & mouse
> > --Updating the Microsoft Keyboard Drivers
> > --Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard plugged
> > in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)
> > --Disabled Speech Recognition in Windows XP
> > --Updated Drivers for WACOM Tablet
> > --Removed Drivers and Tablet from system
> > --Ran multiple types/brands of virus, malware, spyware, hijacking scans
> > --Performed System Restore to point before Updates and initiation of problem
> > (problem exists)
> > --Repeated virus, spyware scans
> >
> > This behavior appears in SAFE MODE as well.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> Before your list of troubleshooting efforts you say that the W is
> disabled - how did the W get disabled?
>
> Were the suggested cures you tried specific for repeating W or general
> purpose cures?
>
> Windows 7 has been "out" for over a month now - have you been having
> this problem for that long?
> .

Thanks for the replies, as aforementioned I have tried an alternate wired
(known working) keyboard with the same results.  When I say the "W" is
disabled, I mean that once this started, striking the W key produces no
character on the screen. W's only appear if the computer displays them on its
own without human input. This obviously sounded like a keyboard problem or
stuck key as suggested by the previous poster and various posts across the
net.  However, it repeats on a wired keyboard and once plugged in, configured
with proper drivers and settings the W key no longer works on that keyboard.
I guess I could try a 3rd Keyboard.

The list of suggested cures were gathered off the Internet from people who
have apparently experienced this phenomena over the past few years.  It is
not letter specific.  Others have experienced multiple ghost typing of
EEEEEEEE or other characters.

Yes, the problem appeared about a month ago.  I have tried various solutions
on and off since then and relied on a laptop at home and my work PC to gain
computer usage.

> [...]
> its
> own without human input. This obviously sounded like a keyboard problem or
> stuck key as suggested by the previous poster and various posts across the
> net.  However, it repeats on a wired keyboard and once plugged in,
> configured
> with proper drivers and settings the W key no longer works on that
> keyboard.
> I guess I could try a 3rd Keyboard.
>
> The list of suggested cures were gathered off the Internet from people who
> have apparently experienced this phenomena over the past few years.  It is
> not letter specific.  Others have experienced multiple ghost typing of
> EEEEEEEE or other characters.
>
> Yes, the problem appeared about a month ago.  I have tried various
> solutions
> on and off since then and relied on a laptop at home and my work PC to

Strange - I could see no mention  in your original post of you trying a
different keyboard. Did you really? And what about the Safe Mode and/or
Recovery Console tests I recommended?

0
Pegasus
12/4/2009 10:54:36 PM

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "RMH7069" <RMH7069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Before your list of troubleshooting efforts you say that the W is
> >> disabled - how did the W get disabled?
> >>
> >> Were the suggested cures you tried specific for repeating W or general
> >> purpose cures?
> >>
> >> Windows 7 has been "out" for over a month now - have you been having
> >> this problem for that long?
> >> .
> >>

> > Thanks for the replies, as aforementioned I have tried an alternate wired
> > (known working) keyboard with the same results.  When I say the "W" is
> > disabled, I mean that once this started, striking the W key produces no
> > character on the screen. W's only appear if the computer displays them on
> > its
> > own without human input. This obviously sounded like a keyboard problem or
> > stuck key as suggested by the previous poster and various posts across the
> > net.  However, it repeats on a wired keyboard and once plugged in,
> > configured
> > with proper drivers and settings the W key no longer works on that
> > keyboard.
> > I guess I could try a 3rd Keyboard.
> >
> > The list of suggested cures were gathered off the Internet from people who
> > have apparently experienced this phenomena over the past few years.  It is
> > not letter specific.  Others have experienced multiple ghost typing of
> > EEEEEEEE or other characters.
> >
> > Yes, the problem appeared about a month ago.  I have tried various
> > solutions
> > on and off since then and relied on a laptop at home and my work PC to
> > gain
> > computer usage.
>
> Strange - I could see no mention  in your original post of you trying a
> different keyboard. Did you really? And what about the Safe Mode and/or
> Recovery Console tests I recommended?
>

> .

Pegasus,

As mentioned in the line above in my original post:

 "--Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard
plugged in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)"

That should read PS/2 connected keyboard. Let me add that this is a known
working keyboard, and YES I did "really" try it.  Also as mentioned in my
original post, the behavior exists in SAFE MODE as well.  What do you suggest
I do in the recovery console?  Reinstall or repair the Windows Installation?

Problem there is about a year and half ago, the PC crashed via some
virus/trojan?? and a clean and repair wouldn't suffice, so I reinstalled
windows in another directory C:\WINDOWS2 and deleted the original. (And yes
all programs and peripherals have ran properly since then until this problem.
However, Now a repair and/or reinstall from the Windows XP disc that came
with my Dell requires I go and manually edit the locations in the registry in
order for the disc to locate the installation.  Obviously this is hard on a
machine that insists on typing strings of W's after a couple user inputed
keystrokes.

I'm trying to avoid wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS and all
software (again), but it is looking like that or another computer is going to
be the solution.

> "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> "RMH7069" <RMH7069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the replies, as aforementioned I have tried an alternate
>> > wired
>> > (known working) keyboard with the same results.  When I say the "W" is
>> > disabled, I mean that once this started, striking the W key produces no
>> > character on the screen. W's only appear if the computer displays them
>> > on
>> > its
>> > own without human input. This obviously sounded like a keyboard problem
>> > or
>> > stuck key as suggested by the previous poster and various posts across
>> > the
>> > net.  However, it repeats on a wired keyboard and once plugged in,
>> > configured
>> > with proper drivers and settings the W key no longer works on that
>> > keyboard.
>> > I guess I could try a 3rd Keyboard.
>> >
>> > The list of suggested cures were gathered off the Internet from people
>> > who
>> > have apparently experienced this phenomena over the past few years.  It
>> > is
>> > not letter specific.  Others have experienced multiple ghost typing of
>> > EEEEEEEE or other characters.
>> >
>> > Yes, the problem appeared about a month ago.  I have tried various
>> > solutions
>> > on and off since then and relied on a laptop at home and my work PC to
>> > gain
>> > computer usage.
>>
>> Strange - I could see no mention  in your original post of you trying a
>> different keyboard. Did you really? And what about the Safe Mode and/or
>> Recovery Console tests I recommended?
>>

>> .
>>
> Pegasus,
>
> As mentioned in the line above in my original post:
>
> "--Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard
> plugged in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)"
>
> That should read PS/2 connected keyboard. Let me add that this is a known
> working keyboard, and YES I did "really" try it.  Also as mentioned in my
> original post, the behavior exists in SAFE MODE as well.  What do you
> suggest
> I do in the recovery console?  Reinstall or repair the Windows
> Installation?

Sorry, I did not realise that "cold booting with a PS Keyboard" meant that
you used a PS/2 keyboard.

If the problem does not exist in the Recovery Console then you will know for
sure that it is not caused by some hardware-related issue. Malware appears
to be the most likely culprit and if your various anti-virus or anti-malware
programs cannot detect it then a clean installation seems the only answer.
Since this has happened before, I recommend you invest in an imaging program
(e.g. Acronis TrueImage) so that you can quickly restore a damaged
installation when it happens again.

0
Pegasus
12/5/2009 8:16:49 AM

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "RMH7069" <RMH7069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >> "RMH7069" <RMH7069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Strange - I could see no mention  in your original post of you trying a
> >> different keyboard. Did you really? And what about the Safe Mode and/or
> >> Recovery Console tests I recommended?
> >>

> >> .
> >>
> > Pegasus,
> >
> > As mentioned in the line above in my original post:
> >
> > "--Removing the Wireless Drivers, & cold booting with a PS Keyboard
> > plugged in and configured.  (Same behavior and disabled W key)"
> >
> > That should read PS/2 connected keyboard. Let me add that this is a known
> > working keyboard, and YES I did "really" try it.  Also as mentioned in my
> > original post, the behavior exists in SAFE MODE as well.  What do you
> > suggest
> > I do in the recovery console?  Reinstall or repair the Windows
> > Installation?
>
> Sorry, I did not realise that "cold booting with a PS Keyboard" meant that
> you used a PS/2 keyboard.
>
> If the problem does not exist in the Recovery Console then you will know for
> sure that it is not caused by some hardware-related issue. Malware appears
> to be the most likely culprit and if your various anti-virus or anti-malware
> programs cannot detect it then a clean installation seems the only answer.
> Since this has happened before, I recommend you invest in an imaging program
> (e.g. Acronis TrueImage) so that you can quickly restore a damaged
> installation when it happens again.
>

> .

Thanks.  I'll try the Recovery Console.
Input at the prompt in Recovery Mode yields the same result:  two characters
humanly inputted and then a string of WWWWWWWWWWW automatically entered by
the PC.

Thus, I assume this IS a hardware problem despite my trying both the
Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard and a standard wired PS/2
keyboard with the exact behavior (including both keyboards 'W' key not
functioning).

I'm also assuming that means it is internal as in the Motherboard or the USB
and/or PS/2 connectors?  I'm going to try another wired USB keyboard (in all
the USB slots) before writing this PC off.

Thanks again for the help.
> Input at the prompt in Recovery Mode yields the same result:  two
> characters
> humanly inputted and then a string of WWWWWWWWWWW automatically entered by
> the PC.
>
> Thus, I assume this IS a hardware problem despite my trying both the
> Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard and a standard wired PS/2
> keyboard with the exact behavior (including both keyboards 'W' key not
> functioning).
>
> I'm also assuming that means it is internal as in the Motherboard or the
> USB
> and/or PS/2 connectors?  I'm going to try another wired USB keyboard (in
> all
> the USB slots) before writing this PC off.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Two more suggestions:
- Boot the machine with a Win98 boot diskette or CD from www.bootdisk.com.
Since it does not use any of your WinXP files, it will give you the ultimate
confirmation that you have a hardware or a BIOS problem.
- Before writing off the PC, ask the boys in a hardware newsgroup for
advice.

0
Pegasus

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

CRM 4.0 -- New Activity Type?
I know the issue of creating new activity types has been dealt with and swatted down regarding CRM <= 3.0, but anybody know if it's finally possible in 4.0? Microsoft, if you're listening, why isn't this happening? I've seen posts requesting the ability to create new Activity types since 1.0...? Thanks! -Gus Nope - still the same If you think about it it isnt really as easy as you might think. "Gus" <gwelter@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e58820c9-988f-4f1d-870c-4ce7945b5676@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I know the issue of creating new activi...

List Fields and Data Type
This may be very basic, but I can't find the answer in the help section. I have an access database and I want to show each table as it's own graphic; including the table name, fields in the table, and the data type for each field. I can link the graphic to the data, but I can only assign 1 field to a graphic. Is it possible to summarize a table in Visio? The database modeling is a visio add-in that uses an internal (i.e. not visible) data structure. You're pretty much limited to the reporting that is in the tools menu. al "shepa006" <shepa006@discussions.micros...

pos 2009 vb.net get reference to tender types
Can anyone help me with this. I have created a addin for the new pos2009 but i need to see what tender type the user has paid with. Can someone help in pointing me in the right direction to get a reference to the payment types. Many thanks Dave ...

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

typing a church bulletin
I am looking for a format in typing a church bulletin. I type our bulletins at church & would like a format if you have any did you look at the existing templates to see if any could work for you? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "church bulletin information" <church bulletin information@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6C7EE07-AB9E-4A2A-9E38-160BDBCD157B@microsoft.com... > I am looking for a format in typing a church bulletin. I type our > bulletins at church & would like a format if you have ...

hiding cells with a certian type of formatting #2
How do I hide cells that has not been formatted in a row or colum that I applied a formatting condition to? ...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Fixed Asset Property Type
Anyone know if the field for the Fixed Asset Property Type can be modified? I need another field in FA for classifying assets & thought this field since we don't use it would be a good one to use. Thanks FA Property Type drive some tax depreciation settings so modifying it will probably make a mess. Are you using up all of the user defined fields already? Mark On Jan 21, 2:48=A0pm, Merle <Me...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Anyone know if the field for the Fixed Asset Property Type can be modifie= d? =A0 > I need another field in FA for classi...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

Ghost brackets
Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this? jpmcewan, Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you go to Tools - Options - View - under view section unc...

DataGrid support for XML with different node types

Ghost Recipient
I have a user name Jonh Doe in my contact list, and when I type in John in the "To" box two options for John Doe come up, one with the correct address and one wiht the incorrect address. I have searched my contact list for this second conact, but can't find it. Where would Outlook be finding this contact? If you right click it, and select find contact, Outlook can't, but it does give you the option to add it. I thought Outlook only searched designated contact info for address, where is this Ghost coming from? Autoresolve doesn't do lookups to any contacts l...

How to add a file types in the Exchange 2003 blocking list
Enviroment: SBS 2003 or How to disable attachment blocking from Exchange 2003 "Ted Li" wrote: > Enviroment: SBS 2003 ...

Transfers
Hi I am still using Money 2001. There seems to be two ways of posting a transfer between accounts: 1) Using the 'Transfer' page on the data entry form 2) Doing a deposit or withdrawl and choosing 'Transfer' under SPECIAL in the category for the transaction. Both seem to work, why are these a bit different, and when should I use each way? Many thanks for any help. They aren't different. A Transfer is a Transfer. "Rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:053801c3c45d$d8aa7c00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > I am still using M...

Ntext Data Type
How can I declare a NTEXT parameter within a sproc? The @newsstory parameter is a ntext data type and I can't get the syntax right. The table column it represents is ntext 8000 data type and being used for a fairly decent size news article. If anyone has a better idea for what data type would be better, I'd appreciate the advice. The db is on SQL2K, but I'm going to move to SQL2K8 soon. CODE ======= @NewsSummary varchar (750) OUTPUT, @NewsStory ntext OUTPUT, On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:01:04 -0500, "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote: ...

Link error, module machine type conflicts with target machine type?
Hi! I hope I am not posting to the wrong group (in that case please tell me which group is correct.) I would be most grateful if someone could help me with this. I am trying to convert my mfc code, which is an in-proc COM server, to x64. After fixing numerous errors I am stuck with this one. The error I am receiving is Linking... Starting pass 1 ..\x64\Unicode Debug\Registry.obj : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64' Obviously something is still set to x86, but how can I tell what? Registry is one of my own classes, p...

Can not figure out the code for the chart layout type I want
I am trying to select a specific chart layout in my macro/VB code but can not tell what to use. When I use the macro record to record the chart layout type I want to use, it looks like this: ActiveChart.ApplyLayout (5) ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.DataTable.Select but ApplyLayout (5) does not work when I try to run the macro. I get an "item with specified name wasn't found" error. I hope someone can help?? Thanks! -- mfg2529 ...

banks that type check payees onto statements?
My church has a checking account in which a bank clerk actually reads what is written in the Payee and Memo fields of the check and types this information onto the montly statements. Unfortunately the church has special arrangements with that bank and people off the street can't simply open an account with similar features. Also, I don't believe they offer this in an online format. Does anybody know if there is a bank out there that will do the following?: 1. Provide scanned copies of checks online. 2. Have a clerk actually type the payee and memo fields from each cleared check into ...

Ghost accounts won't stay deleted!!!
Hi, I have an MBNA CC, and I've been unsuccesful in connecting to their server. In the process, I have tried twice to delete the account and recreate it. Now each time I try to update my accounts, the deleted accounts come back as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2". Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it? Thanks, JD JD, I'm also having problems downloading data for my MBNA CC. I am receiving "your last call encountered an error" message. I'm also having problems with Tropical Finacial Credit Union. One night I could...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

"Type a Contact to Find" field never finds any contact
There's a search field in outlook 2003 just for contacts. It says "Type a Contact to Find". But it never ever finds anything and keeps saying "outlook could not find the requested contact" How do i get this to work? I want to find contacts in the same pstther file that is open in outlook. I know it is not pointing to the correct pst file but instead to something called "address book". Could you please tell me how to set this straight? You must configure the Outlook Address Book correctly. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...

Fixed-Asset types for a DB?
Hi There, I'm trying to put together a fixed-asset tracking system database and I'm trying to imagine all the different fixed-asset types (aka "categories") that a user might want to see in a 'typical' system, i.e. chairs, desks, tables, computers, projectors etc etc etc. I'm looking for someone who might have set up a system who has already created a list of the sub-category types one might find at a 'typical' large office, that would have all their assets typed into a database i.e. Computer Accessories Other Computer Monitors LCD Computer Monitors CRT...

Ghost font
I use the previous month's newsletter as a template each month. Whenever I open the file, there is a mystery font that is not being used called MS Shell dig. I click okay and ignore it. Is there any way to locate where the font is and remove it? This article can help http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/ui_font.html This may give insight too. http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/V6/D/D403.html -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dandyman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4...