formatting completely/irreversibly a hard drive

Hello:

I'm looking to a utility (free if possible) who can format/delete completely
a hard disk, so it's impossible to recover data with any software doing
unformat or undelete.
In the past, using debug it was possible to do low level format.

any help is appreciated.

thanks
Maurice

0
Maurice

http://www.google.com/products?q=sledgehammer&hl=en&aq=f

Maurice wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm looking to a utility (free if possible) who can format/delete
> completely
> a hard disk, so it's impossible to recover data with any software doing
> unformat or undelete.
> In the past, using debug it was possible to do low level format.
>
> any help is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Maurice

0
PA
5/16/2010 6:12:17 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:02:50 +0300, "Maurice" <morisaab@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm looking to a utility (free if possible) who can format/delete completely
> a hard disk, so it's impossible to recover data with any software doing
> unformat or undelete.

There are many such programs. You can do a search for one or wait for
a recommendation.

But with any of them, I would be wary about the word "impossible."
Although there are those who claim that this kind of program makes it
impossible, there are others who claim that sophisticated techniques
can get around what they do.

They certainly make it extremely difficult to recover anything, but
you'll have to decide for yourself whether you believe their claims
that it's impossible.

> In the past, using debug it was possible to do low level format.

A true low-level format would destroy any modern drive. What some
people call a low-level format these days is generally just writing of
zeros to the drive.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
5/16/2010 6:22:38 PM
Maurice wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm looking to a utility (free if possible) who can format/delete completely
> a hard disk, so it's impossible to recover data with any software doing
> unformat or undelete.
> In the past, using debug it was possible to do low level format.
>
> any help is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Maurice

http://www.dban.org/

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

The Secure Erase project, uses an erasing capability built into
the hard drive itself. Secure Erase is not available on SCSI.
Before using Secure Erase, read *all* the documentation.
There is some topic material about "passwords" you should read.

DBAN has the issue, that it can erase all the drives connected
to the computer. Unplug any drives you don't want erased. A few
people managed to erase their backup drive (and then asked on
the DBAN forum, whether the data could be recovered or not :-) ).
So don't repeat that mistake. Be absolutely sure you know what
is it going to erase, before pushing the button.

If the drives use a HPA (Host Protected Area), that can complicate
erasure. If you didn't put user data up there, there is nothing to
worry about. There won't be too many instances, where an HPA is
involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

    Paul
0
Paul
5/16/2010 6:23:15 PM
"Maurice" <morisaab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I'm looking to a utility (free if possible) who can format/delete
> completely a hard disk, so it's impossible to recover data with any
> software doing unformat or undelete.
> In the past, using debug it was possible to do low level format.
>
> any help is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Maurice

Thanks, all!!

0
Maurice

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Change HTML Format to Plain Text Format
We would like to change 500 Outlook XP and 2003 clients to use Plain Text for emails rather than Rich Text or HTML. Is there a registery key I can modify, save and email out to all clients to automatically change the settings If you have any suggestions please let me know Thank Kevin ...

Formatting / Formula
Hi, Not sure if I need conditional formatting or a formula for the following: If I put a date into a spreadsheet I'd like it to change colour after a set number of days to warn me that it's now time expired. ie 01 Dec should turn RED after 90 days to show that time's up! Any help will be gratefully received Telford Tom 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional ...

Conditional Format if cell value is odd
Hi all, Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks a bunch, Michele Please state your question in the body of the message, not in the subject. =ISODD(A1) Tyro "mjones" <michele@quality-computing.com> wrote in message news:c6bc0e02-00c7-4d33-b85b-0c8ce728d3b9@l16g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > Does anyone know how to do this? > > Thanks a bunch, > > Michele If the cell value you want to check is A1, then: formula is =3Dmod(A1,2) =3D 0 hope that helps Carlo On Feb 12, 10:05=A0am, mjones <mich...@quality-computing.com> wrote: >...

Exch 5.5 is stripping off html formatting
The only place I know of in exch admin I have html turned on.. But it is still stripping the html formatting off the email messages.. Does anyone have any type of solution or work around or something I'm not seeing.. thanks for your help. Scott And that one place would be...? "tazdog" <tazdog8@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ebecdefc.0405110736.4e8f0bc0@posting.google.com... > The only place I know of in exch admin I have html turned on.. > But it is still stripping the html formatting off the email messages.. > > Does anyone have any type of solution or ...

Conditonal Format with a date format
I have a page with colum A1:A365 date formatted I would like all stat days to turn red Conditional format I am trying to use is, … =OR(A1:A365=”DECEMBER 25, 2004”, A1:A365=“JANUARY 1, 2005”) ect ect I If I type December 25 2004 in column any cell in column A without a date format, it works. As soon as use a date format in column A1:A365 the conditional format does not work. Can anyone help?? Thank you Kevin Kevin, This works for me. Select all the cells and then use this formula =OR(A1=--"2005-12-25",A1=--"2006-01-01") -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the ...

XP DVD Drive.
Just a pefunctory query, New XP computer with "Western Digital" super ritemaster DVD drive Used the drive to install XP OS but the drive will not read my CDRom data discs I burnt in 2007 they read on an old clunker. Would that be an XP software or activation issue or DVD issue, and if so what suitable NG please? thanks in advance. It could be the media just isn't compatible. That happens now and again, especially if it's cheap. "rodney" <pookiethai@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message news:4bb94dc2$0$56415$c30e37c6@exi-reader.telstra.net... :...

How do I format a cell to blink
I need to format a cell to blink as a reminder Hi there's (fortunately) no such format. This would require using VBA (using the OnTime method for example). If you really want such code search Google for 'Blinking cell' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ahmed Al-BAnna" <Ahmed Al-BAnna@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0C383129-C08B-4235-A639-D162A9266002@microsoft.com... >I need to format a cell to blink as a reminder ...