Error Disabling Connection

Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
and found drivers off the net.

As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
to my DSL modem. That part works ok.

But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
by another user or the system account."

WTF ... Over.

What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
to be able to disable this connection???

Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
adaptor??
0
chuck

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message
> Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
> Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
> and found drivers off the net.
>
> As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
> the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
> to my DSL modem. That part works ok.
>
> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
> by another user or the system account."
>
> WTF ... Over.
>
> What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
> to be able to disable this connection???
>
> Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
> adaptor??

  See if this helps:
http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/disablenic.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Brian
12/31/2009 1:20:02 AM
Brian A. wrote:

>> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
>> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
>> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
>> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
>> by another user or the system account."
> See if this helps:
> http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/disablenic.htm

Thanks for the link. Tried them all. Even disabled the MoBo
LAN and added a LAN adapter. Still cannot disable. Have
used Task Mgr to shutdown most of what's running. Still cannot
disable the LAN.

Gonna yank the cable when not on!

0
chuck
12/31/2009 6:24:08 PM

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> said this in news item
> Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
> Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
> and found drivers off the net.
>
> As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
> the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
> to my DSL modem. That part works ok.
>
> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
> by another user or the system account."
>
> WTF ... Over.
>
> What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
> to be able to disable this connection???
>
> Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
> adaptor??

It's a long shot but you could try the batch file below. It relies on
devcon.exe which you can download from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe.
Do not retype the code - use copy & paste, then set the correct name of your
NIC.

@echo off
goto Start
Use this batch file to enable or disable a device
from the Command Prompt.
16.4.2006 FNL
:Start
SetLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
set Adapter=Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet

if /i "%1"=="enable"  goto go
if /i "%1"=="disable" goto go
echo Syntax: Device  enable / disable
goto :eof

:go
set HWID=x
set count=0
set found=no

devcon hwids "PCI\*" > c:\device.txt
for /F "tokens=*" %%* in (c:\device.txt) do (
  set /a count=!count! + 1
  if /i "%%*"=="Name: %Adapter%" set found=yes& set count=1
  if !found!==yes if !count!==3 set HWID=%%*
)
if %found%==yes (
  echo HWID=!HWID!
  devcon %1 "!HWID!"
) else (
  echo Device "%Adapter%" not found.
)
endlocal
del c:\device.txt

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 6:34:34 PM
Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.
0
chuck
12/31/2009 11:26:52 PM

> Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
> fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.

Let's see your solution for the benefit of other posters with a similar
problem!

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 11:35:38 PM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> said this in news item
>> Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
>> fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.
>
> Let's see your solution for the benefit of other posters with a similar
> problem!

@echo off
:: Batch file that tries to remedy error # 800710D9
:: "Unable to read from or write to the database".
:: Author: Torgeir Bakken
:: Date: 2004-08-30

cls
echo This batch file will now try to remedy the error 0x800710D9.
echo To abort and not run it now, hold down Ctrl and press C.
echo Otherwise press the space bar to continue.
pause

:: Stop the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\System32\net.exe stop CryptSvc

:: Rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\Security folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\Security\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old

:: Rename the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
move /y %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2old

IF not exist %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 GOTO CONT01

:: In case the folder rename failed because of locked files
:: rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old
SET catroot2locked=True

:CONT01
cls
echo.
echo Please wait, this might take some time...

:: Unregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
CD /D %SystemRoot%\System32
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u cryptdlg.dll

:: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll

:: Configure and start the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
:: Start the Cryptographic Service
%SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
cls

echo.
If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
again...

GOTO END
:CONT02
echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try
echo to install SP2 again)...
GOTO END

:END
echo.
pause
0
chuck
1/1/2010 1:22:00 AM

> [...]
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
>
> :: Configure and start the Cryptographic service
> %SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
> :: Start the Cryptographic Service
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
> cls
>
> echo.
> If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
> echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
> again...
>
> GOTO END
> :CONT02
> echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
> echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try

Fascinating stuff. What baffles me is how you could make a connection
between your inability to disable a network adapter and the cryptographic
services. The two subjects seem totally unrelated to me.

0
Pegasus
1/1/2010 10:10:36 AM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
> Fascinating stuff. What baffles me is how you could make a connection
> between your inability to disable a network adapter and the
> cryptographic services. The two subjects seem totally unrelated to me.

According to the one that made the script: "it seems that this error is
caused by corruption in the db or problems with registered DLL files
required by the service"

0
chuck

Frequent disconnection of Internet Connection.
Frequent disconnection of Internet Connection. I have a desk top PC and use Win XP as operating system. The problem I am facing since a few days is that of internet frequent disconnection. My ISP is Reliance Broadnet and the connection is a high speed wired one. Of late the connection works for 5 to 8 mins and then hangs for 1 or 2 mins. before restarting. The Tech guy from Reliance says that there is no problem from their side even though the ping report clearly shows the intermittent starts and stops. The Reliance Tech guy is going to bring his Lap Top tomorrow and test this...

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

How can I disable outgoing email being sent as attachments?
When I send email I am being told from the person receiving it that it has been sent as an attachment that they have to open to read. How do I disable that feature? JERMAINE <JERMAINE @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I send email I am being told from the person receiving it that > it has been sent as an attachment that they have to open to read. How > do I disable that feature? Try sending your message in plain text. -- Brian Tillman ...

error, chkdsk

error 0x800CCC0F

4.4.7 error

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004

Troubles connecting to CRM3.0 with Office Client
Hello all. I have some serious troubles connecting to our hosted CRM3.0 service by using the new updated CRM Client 3.0. First I install the client that I download from Microsoft/download, and then I try to install it. The first issues is that when being asked for the address to this CRM server you wanna connect to to install application tells me that it cannot connect to the CRM system. I can login to the system using the webinterface. Im using the new client for Windows Vista and Office 2007, and im using Vista + Office2007. Our CRM3.0 Server is behind a ISA firewall and is usi...

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

Typing message error

hide sys files from ODBC connection
Hi everyone, I have an ODBC connection in Microsoft Access to download data from a SQL server. One problem is that the Import Object window will display not just the databse tables that I want to download, but it also lists all the Information_Schema tables and the sys tables. I would like to disable the display of the Information_Schema and sys tables because this ODBC connection will be used by users that do not need to know the system information on SQL. The SQL login of this ODBC connection currently is in the "guest" group, and have a "public" checked...

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911829 Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...