Do I need these?

I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the
following.  I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3.  I use VB 6.0
(Classic).

The MSXML KBs stacked up?  The .NET updates?  Do I really need
these?

-- Windows Live OneCare Scanner
-- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686
-- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables
-- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1
-- Memory Key Boot Utility

Ed
0
Ed

Ed from AZ wrote:
> I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the
> following.  I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3.  I use VB 6.0
> (Classic).
>
> The MSXML KBs stacked up?  The .NET updates?  Do I really need
> these?
>
> -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner
> -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686
> -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables
> -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1
> -- Memory Key Boot Utility

-- Maybe - if you have nothing else.
-- Leave alone
-- Leave alone
-- Leave alone
-- What is that?

It's not like it has been hurting you and/or you won't gain much in
performance or space getting rid of them and chances are they got installed
because you told them to install (either knowingly or unknowingly - but in
any case they could have all been knowingly if you had paid attention) - so
what is it you are hoping to accomplish should you get rid of those things
as opposed to things you know you don't need? ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/26/2010 10:47:56 PM
Thanks for the response.

I have an older laptop, and it often runs very sluggish, especially
when booting.
As I'm working through implementing a new program (AlacrityPC), the
first bits of advice are to peruse the Add/Remove Programs list as see
what's there that you don't know about or remember, and see if you
might no longer need them.  Less to initialize at boot and keep tabs
of shile running, yes?

So I'm hoping to accomplish a leaner, cleaner system that boots faster
and runs better.
(Is that the Holy Grail???  8>/  )

I was especially wondering (not necesarily concerned) about the
multiple MSXML and .NET updates stacked on top of each other.
Especially when I saw the MSXML version jump from 4 to 6.  And the
Visual C++ Redistributables??  Don't even know what those are for.

But you're right - they're not taking up all that much space.
Don't know what they eat in terms of running memory or time to boot.
(My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
boot up!  Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
touching everything as it boots, though.  I used CClean once and got a
blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged down
again.)

Thanks for the help.
Ed

On Jul 26, 3:47=A0pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ed from AZ wrote:
> > I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the
> > following. =A0I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. =A0I use VB 6.0
> > (Classic).
>
> > The MSXML KBs stacked up? =A0The .NET updates? =A0Do I really need
> > these?
>
> > -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner
> > -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686
> > -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables
> > -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1
> > -- Memory Key Boot Utility
>
> -- Maybe - if you have nothing else.
> -- Leave alone
> -- Leave alone
> -- Leave alone
> -- What is that?
>
> It's not like it has been hurting you and/or you won't gain much in
> performance or space getting rid of them and chances are they got install=
ed
> because you told them to install (either knowingly or unknowingly - but i=
> any case they could have all been knowingly if you had paid attention) - =
so
> what is it you are hoping to accomplish should you get rid of those thing=
> as opposed to things you know you don't need? ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> =A0 =A0 =A0MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que=
stions.html

0
Ed
7/27/2010 2:11:59 PM
Ed from AZ wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have an older laptop, and it often runs very sluggish, especially
> when booting.
>
> As I'm working through implementing a new program (AlacrityPC), the
> first bits of advice are to peruse the Add/Remove Programs list as
> see what's there that you don't know about or remember, and see if you
> might no longer need them.  Less to initialize at boot and keep tabs
> of shile running, yes?
>
> So I'm hoping to accomplish a leaner, cleaner system that boots
> faster and runs better. (Is that the Holy Grail???  8>/  )
>
> I was especially wondering (not necesarily concerned) about the
> multiple MSXML and .NET updates stacked on top of each other.
> Especially when I saw the MSXML version jump from 4 to 6.  And the
> Visual C++ Redistributables??  Don't even know what those are for.
>
> But you're right - they're not taking up all that much space.
> Don't know what they eat in terms of running memory or time to boot.
> (My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
> boot up!  Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
> touching everything as it boots, though.  I used CClean once and
> got a blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged
> down again.)

Please give the specs of your 'older laptop'.  For example...

Dell Precision M2400 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz processor, 8GB
memory, Nvidia Quadro FX 370M video card with 256MB (non-shared) memory and
a Seagate 320GB hard disk drive with Windows XP Professional Edition
(32-bit) with Service Pack 3 and all current security patches installed.

Use something like Belarc Advisor to obtain that information for free.

As for AlacrityPC...  I would hesitate to use anything last updated in April
2009.  I am more of a 'do it myself' type - I am not telling you what to do.
I do not really know much more about it than what I read on their web page.

Seems to me it probably just stops a bunch of running services for you (that
are unlikely to be needed while playing a game) and probably can start them
back up for you later.  Not a bad plan - but really - probably only squeezes
out a few more FPS on medium-end games.

You'll want to be sure you have the latest hardware drivers (video and
network in particular for online gaming.)  Those can make some difference in
performance.  And it is not how much you have installed for most people that
makes the difference - but how much you haveing running at a given time
using resources other than disk space.  Most modern computers have so much
disk space - they are not going to lose much until 100s of GBs are used...

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
7/27/2010 7:03:18 PM
Ed from AZ wrote:
> (My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
> boot up!  Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
> touching everything as it boots, though.  I used CClean once and got a
> blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged down
> again.)

Is a Version of Office installed ? It creates a huge amount of temp files.
What is " Spyware " ... Perhaps you meant SuperAntispyware ?
Open the System Configuration tool by going to Start > Run > type in
msconfig
Press Enter or click OK.
Click the Startup tab.
UNcheck the boxes next to any superfluous programs that are loading.
EX: QuickTime/Office
There's little time to be saved by having superfluous programs loading
on boot. Just open them when you want to use them.
After you've pared down the Startup programs, click the Apply button,
then OK. You'll be presented with a notice that the system must be
restarted. Do so. Put a check in the box in the message box next to
" Do not show this message again " (or similar verbiage),
Click OK.

If running CCleaner sped up the system then it's most likely an
accumulation of Temp files and, perhaps, "Spyware" loading on boot that
causes the system to boot slowly and then bog down. The latest editon of
AVG contains an anti-spyware component and it may be conflicting with
"Spyware", if it's actively monitoring the system.

If all software recently installed was followed by a reboot, then it's
safe to delete the contents of Temp. Go to Start > Run type in
&temp&
Push Enter or click OK
The User Account's Temp folder that you are logged in as will open.
Delete all contents of Temp and empty the Recycle Bin.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
7/27/2010 10:46:06 PM
Shenan Stanley:

Not sure of all the specifics of the laptop - it's a stock standard
Dell Latitude D600 (hardware-wise, anyway).
I'm running XP Pro SP3 (32-bit).
Dell stopped putting out driver updates a long time ago.
I might need to roll back to SP2; I know at least my video driver
wasn't updated for SP3.
But that might be more trouble than it's worth.

AlactrityPC was recommended to me by one of the MVPs ("John John") and
it will do what I need once I get it configured.
(I've got a couple of threads on what I'm trying to do in shutting
down some stuff to run a VB program in a certain environment.)

MowGreen:

Yes, I am running Office 200 Professional.
And I just installed the latest AVG Free update.
The "Spyware" is Spyware Terminator - don't know why I dropped that
from the name!
Hadn't thought of AVG and ST conflicting.
Probably ought to use MSCONFIG and turn off each one in turn and see
what difference it makes .....
Didn't know about the &temp& trick - I'll have to do that.
I do occasionally clean out 'most everything.

Thanks for all the input!
Ed
0
Ed

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

need help! very urgently needed
i am using an Activex control in a dialog based applicaton(VC++). created an member variable for that(myportcontroller). In a non-stati function i am able to call the Activex control methods using the membe variable and worked fine. But i need to call the activex control method in an static function. Here i cannot use the member variable as it is static function. So, i declared an object for Activex control class Using that object i called the methods. I had no compile time error But i am getting run time assertion error as "winocc.cpp line:345". Ca anybody help? I need very urgen...

need to get my mail
how can i get my hot mail from here You can't, this is a newsgroup, it has nothing to do with email. -- -- "carlos" <bartlett_1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$yffBZiKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > how can i get my hot mail from here Windows Mail doesn't support HTTP mail, which for a long time was the=20 only allowed access method for free Hotmail accounts. Earlier this year Microsoft enabled POP access for free Hotmail/Live/MSN accounts. Follow the settings given here: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!4...

Need Help Creating Directory
I am creating a membership directory for our church. When I try to do two columns it sets it up going left to right instead of down one column then the other. How do I get this done. I'm not sure how you managed that. Any chance you'd send it over to me and let me look at that? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Steve Cook" <SteveCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7DAB8B4-680E-4D46-A614-BB2FEC4ED35C@microsoft.com... >I am creating a membership directory for our church. When I try to do two > columns it sets it up going left t...

Need Char Comparer Help
Greetings, I'm writing some text-parsing code. I need to compare individual System.Char variables but need the option of ignoring case in the comparison. I need help in two areas. First, does anyone know a good way to compare characters ignoring case? I found a case insensitive comparer at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1394877/what-is-the-correct-way-to-compare-char-ignoring-case/1394909 but I'm not sure that's the best approach. Basically, he converts both characters to upper case (with every comparison). But I don't know if this is reliable and it was...

Do I need these?
I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. I use VB 6.0 (Classic). The MSXML KBs stacked up? The .NET updates? Do I really need these? -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686 -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 -- Memory Key Boot Utility Ed Ed from AZ wrote: > I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the > following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP...

Web Outlook & Exchange Setup need ideas
I currently have Server: Windows 2000 Server, Exchange 5. Clients: Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook 200 I am planning to install Outlook Web Access. I want to upgrade Exchange Server 5.5 to 2003. People say Ex 2003 does has installation probles with Win 2000 Server. Is this true Does Outlook Web Access have to be installed on the same box that is running the Exchange Server? If it has to be, will it work if I install Exchange Server on a different box and have its information store point to the information store of my original Exchange Server. And then install Outlook Web Access on the new box I a...