Dirty Bits?

When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying that
"The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive.
What the $%^& does this mean?  And more particularly, must I do something
about whatever is "dirty" about that drive?  When I did a google search I
found a reference to "setting the dirty bit," terminology which, I must
admit, seems to have more to do with connubial delights than with my
computer.  of course, I also found ads hawking software which assuredly
(yeah, sure) would fix this and any other problems I might have.

0
Joe

Joe McGuire wrote:
> When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying that
> "The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive.
> What the $%^& does this mean?  And more particularly, must I do something
> about whatever is "dirty" about that drive?  When I did a google search I
> found a reference to "setting the dirty bit," terminology which, I must
> admit, seems to have more to do with connubial delights than with my
> computer.  of course, I also found ads hawking software which assuredly
> (yeah, sure) would fix this and any other problems I might have.

Run a chkdsk on the drive in question.

John
0
John
3/23/2010 2:04:30 PM
On Mar 23, 9:50=A0am, "Joe McGuire" <mcguir...@comcast.net> wrote:
> When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying th=
at
> "The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive.
> What the $%^& does this mean? =A0And more particularly, must I do somethi=
ng
> about whatever is "dirty" about that drive? =A0When I did a google search=
> found a reference to "setting the dirty bit," terminology which, I must
> admit, seems to have more to do with connubial delights than with my
> computer. =A0of course, I also found ads hawking software which assuredly
> (yeah, sure) would fix this and any other problems I might have.

It is not so bizarre.  It is XP doing it's job.

When XP starts, it checks to see if any volumes have the dirty bit set
and if they do, it will run chkdsk on them to try to clear up the
problem.  The dirty bit can be set manually, it may have been as a
consequence of a power interruption, or something set it for you.

The best thing to do is let XP run the chkdsk when your system
restarts and clear the dirty bit for you.

You cannot clear the dirty bit manually and you should not want to.
It means there is a problem somewhere and you need to fix it.

You can query the dirty bit on any volume from a command prompt.

To query the dirty bit on drive C, type:

fsutil dirty query C:

Sample output:
Volume C: is dirty
Volume C: is not dirty

You can set the dirty bit on any volume to force a chkdsk on the next
reboot.

To set the dirty bit on drive C, type:

fsutil dirty set C:

If your system continues to exhibit this behavior you have another
problem.  If the dirty bit will never clear because of a hardware
problem, you can tell XP not to run chkdsk on the volume when it
restarts and it will stay dirty.  That is up to you but I would not
recommend it.

When chkdsk runs automatically on a reboot, the results are shown in
the Event Viewer Application log.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Look in the Application log for an event sourced by Winlogon,
something like:

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Winlogon
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	1001
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

  39070048 KB total disk space.
  25151976 KB in 78653 files.
     48256 KB in 10264 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    237080 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  13632736 KB available on disk.

      4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
   9767512 total allocation units on disk.
   3408184 allocation units available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
0
Jose
3/23/2010 2:26:23 PM
"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote:

>When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying that
>"The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive.
>What the $%^& does this mean?

All it means is that your last shutdown didn't go quite as planned.
"Dirty" just means that a change has been made to the drive, and it
hasn't been completed. In a normal shutdown, all i/o would be
completed before the machine turned itself off.

I'm more familiar with the term in the context of an application. You
open a document in some app, then edit it. When you make a change, the
document becomes "dirty". When you save it, it's clean again. When you
close the app it checks the "dirty" bit. If it's set it asks you
whether you want to save your changes.

In this case, it would be a good idea to run chkdsk.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying
>>that
>>"The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive.
>>What the $%^& does this mean?
>
> All it means is that your last shutdown didn't go quite as planned.
> "Dirty" just means that a change has been made to the drive, and it
> hasn't been completed. In a normal shutdown, all i/o would be
> completed before the machine turned itself off.
>
> I'm more familiar with the term in the context of an application. You
> open a document in some app, then edit it. When you make a change, the
> document becomes "dirty". When you save it, it's clean again. When you
> close the app it checks the "dirty" bit. If it's set it asks you
> whether you want to save your changes.
>
> In this case, it would be a good idea to run chkdsk.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
> http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

0
Joe

Converting a 24-bit bitmap (with 256 unique colors) to an 8-bit bitmap without changing the colors???
I carefully constructed a 24-bit bitmap to have exactly 256 unique colors. I converted this bitmap to use an optimized 8-bit palette retaining the exact same 256 colors using an image editor. I compared all of these images to the original using the BeyondCompare diff tool, they all has identical pixels. CImage image; image.Load("256colors.bmp"); // 24-bit image.Save("test.gif"); The colors now have been changed by several shades. To fix this I have to create my own color index table precisely defining the colors that I want to use, and then copy the ...

need a bit of help.....
I have generated a form that shows money amounts. yet i want two colums that separates the dollar amount from cents. I have for example colum *H* as the dollar amount and colum *I* as the cent amounts. Now i have tried Format Cell to set it up but it doesnt work. for example i tried the custom format for the dollar amount and it rounds it. and if there's an amount of 1108.83 the cell will show 1109. so it does not show the true value amount. i also tried the same approach with the =RIGHT(H1,2) but with the left and Mid but still didnt work, because i would have to enter the same amount o...

Music tracks not playing (192 bit)
Hello I recently got a new computer. All my music tracks worked on the old one . To transfer my files over, I used a portable hard drive as the middle man. All the files were successfully copies over to the new computer, but annoyingly a lot of my music tracks do not work. They will play for about 2 seconds, although in a scratchy broken way, similar to the old dial up tone. I have noticed that the tracks that are not playing are all 192 bits. I have updates the sound driver, updated Windows, Windows media player and still no luck. In addition, I am using Vista 64 bit. ...

sharing files between win7 64 bit and wireless xp laptop
is there a set procedure for sharing files between my win7 desktop and my xp laptop which has a wireless connection to the desktop? The first link is to an article about networking XP and Win 7 http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1402336&seqNum=4 This link is about the LLTD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120 The link in the upper left hand side of the page is to the page to request the v6 LLTD Hotfix And this is the page to request it http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=922120&kbln=en-us On 2010-02-22 09:53, Del wrote: ...

Me.Dirty
Okay, Here is the setup of this monster database that we're using. We have an Access frontend with SQL server backend. We have about 14 tables that all link to one main table via main table's PK. To present this data, we have forms that have 14 sub-forms on them (long story, but in order to get what we needed, this was how we got it to work). We have the SQL server residing on one server and then six laptops connect to that server via wireless router (again, due to the mobility of the laptops, it has to be wireless). So at one time, there are six users entering data, but never ...

Form Dirty Property
I am having difficulty in exploiting the ‘On Dirty’ property of forms. Sometimes it works as expected but, more often than not, changes to controls bound to table fields fail to trigger the On Dirty event. I am then forced to associate each amendable control with an After Update event. That invariably works but, with a dozen or more amendable controls on a form, the resulting code can look pretty clumsy. There is something that I have clearly not understood. Can anyone enlighten me? I just want to take appropriate action when any control on a form is updated or amended. -- Peter ...

Forcing an optimized pallette when converting a 24-bit bitmap to 8-bit using GDI+
I want to save 24-bit BMP images as 8-bit PNG files, where the number of unique colors <= 256. I don't want windows to automatically screw up the colors and use its own selections. I want to keep the original unique 256 colors, exactly as they are in the original. How do I force windows to not screw up the colors? Why isn't NOT screwing up the colors the default? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message news:Z9-dndJfg-fVGxDWnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@giganews.com... > I want to save 24-bit BMP images as 8-bit PNG files, where the numbe...

Error when drawing grid, grid lines a bit too short
Hello, as I've mentioned in some other post I'm making a simple "Game of Life" with a small, fixed-sized grid. Anyway, the function I used for drawing the actual grid was written ages ago when doing some pure Win32 programming and it was full of magic numbers, assuming a 16*16 grid. I tried to rewrite it without magic numbers and to take the actual size into consideration. Right now each cell in the grid is 20*20 and I have horizontal and vertical bars that are four pixels wide. The x and y offset is 20 pixels. Hope I explained it properly, here's the code: voi...

How To Talk Dirty
Hi, Really cool to learn, but it's true for all dudes. 'How To Talk Dirty' (http://www.howtotalkdirty101.com) Talk Dirty -- womenops ...

24-bit bitmap with transparency on a button. How to?
I have to freshen up a UI on an app that I wrote few years ago. I managed to put 24-bit and 32-bit images on toolbars. It was not that difficult because I could simply override Create() and set image lists with whatever I wanted based on the current display settings and/or OS. I then moved to buttons with bitmaps and got stuck. I can't find a clean way of putting 24-bit bitmaps on buttons. The app has to run on W2K and up. Initially I thought that I could use custom draw when the app is run on XP and fallback to the default handling of bitmaps on W2K. The XP side with custom dr...

Datatype BIT problem with Access front-end AND SQL back-end
This is the first time i post something on this forum, so i'm not sure if this tread is on the right place. I am having trouble with a BIT field when migrating an Access database to an SQL database. I will try to explain the situation: We were working with an Access database combined with Access forms. Because the database was getting to big en everything started to work very slow i decided to migrate the access database to microsoft SQL server. On first sight everything worked fine en fast but i discovered a problem with the conversion from a yes/no table in access to a BIT table in s...

Dirty Bits?
When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying that "The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive. What the $%^& does this mean? And more particularly, must I do something about whatever is "dirty" about that drive? When I did a google search I found a reference to "setting the dirty bit," terminology which, I must admit, seems to have more to do with connubial delights than with my computer. of course, I also found ads hawking software which assuredly (yeah, sure) would fix this and any other...

Install Money 2007 on Vista 64 bit
I downloaded Money Premium 2007 to install on Vista Ultimate, 64 bit. When running the downloaded executable I get a loading... dialog box. After a second or two an unhandled exception occurs - 'Microsoft Money 2007 Premium Setup has stopped working...' Clicking the debug button show a 'Just-In-Time Debugging' dialog - An exception 'Unhandled Win32 Exception' has occurred in Stp6F0F_TMP.EXE. However, a debugger that cannot handle the exception type is already attached to the process.' I have tried running as administrator with the same results, and setting ...

dirty (?) footer
I have a form with several unbound field in it's footer (they will, after verification, be added to the recordset); I thought it would be nice to keep the "ADD" button disabled until the user has entered info into all of the fields... is there a simple way to add a check for this condition (all fields have data entered) on dirty... if len(field1 + field2 + field3 + ...) > 0 then me.add.enabled = true else me.add.enabled = false end if thanks in advance, -mark On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, "mark kubicki" <m...@tillotsondesign.com> wrot...

32 bit or 64 bit
I have Windows XP on my S10 netbook. How do I determine whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit? Thanks much This has nothing to do with Word, but Control Panel > System should tell you the Windows version. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Hank" <Ha...

Import 24-bit bitmap as an icon
I have a 24-bit bitmap of size 32 x 32, which I would like to use as the application's icon. I have two questions: 1. Can an icon have more than 256 colors? VStudio and some other icon editor applications (which I downloaded from web) do not allow more than 256 colors for icon files. 2. If #1 is not correct (i.e. if icon CAN have more than 256 colors), how do I use my 32 x 32 bitmap for application icon? Thanks in advance Abhijit Abhijit, The way to test this is to create a 24-bit icon and test it. Do this by creating an application with an icon, physically replacing the icon in the r...

Windows 7 HP upgrade 32 to 64 bit?
I have recently upgraded Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit. My desktop has 3.37 GB usable RAM and I am now considering doing a clean install to 64 bit. Is this possible using the Microsoft upgrade CD, please? -- plod A clean install is the only way you can go from 32-bit to 64-bit. Boot with the 64-bit disc and let it find the current installation then delete the partition with 32-bit Win 7 and proceed from there. On 2010-02-27 16:00, plod wrote: > I have recently upgraded Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 7 > Home Premiu...

Form Dirty not firing
I have a form that I enter and with the Load event I disable the Save button. I want the button to appear as soon as the form is dirty. I have done this before with no problems even with other forms in this same application. When I type in the first field, the Form Dirty event is not firing. I have a msgbox statement in the Form_Dirty event and it never appears. I have an AfterUpdate event on the first field and I test Me.Dirty in that code. Me.Dirty is true in that test of the first field. Why doesn't Form.Dirty fire? What do I need to look at that will help me trace this issue? How can...

Dirty Question
Dirty Question Hello, I have a question about the Dirty property/event=85 The following code will evaluate to False (which makes sense) when the record changes: ----------- Private Sub Form_Current() Debug.Print Me.Dirty Call IsRecordDirty End Sub The following code will evaluate to True (which does not make sense to me) when the record changes: -------------- Private Function IsRecordDirty() 'tied to the on dirty event of all text/combo boxes Debug.Print Me.Dirty End Function In the Immediate Window I see: False True Next Record: False True Why is me.d...

GP 10.0 64 bit
We currently run GP 9 with our data in a SQL 2000 server (Win 2003 R2 OS) Our VAR has set up an installation of SQL 2005 64-bit, transferred our company data and installed GP 10 (Win 2003 R2 64 bit OS). The SQL server seems to run fine. I have run several test scripts. No problems. The GP 10 install has some issues. I am receiving errors such as "Sales Module not installed". Our VAR is saying there are issues with the 64 bit install and we will have to go to 32bit. I am wondering: 1. Is there a KB article out there on this? (I have searched). 2. Has anyone else had positi...

Windows 7 64 bit and IO.Ports.SerialPort
Hi all - Is anyone using the IO.Ports.SerialPort object successfully under Windows 7 64 bit? My PC crashed and in the rebuild I moved to 64 bit Win7, and now an app I had running successfully for quite a while (probably a year) on 32 bit Vista now does not work on Win7 64 bit. I get various random errors, like stack overflows in mscorlib, uninitialized objects, all in mscorlib. Twice while debugging I stepped through some comm code, and it actually blue screened Win7 with a page fault. I have other apps that do not use the serial port, and they work fine on 64 bit, it seems th...

Database Classes for 64 bit
hi fatal error C1189: #error : DAO Database classes are not supported for Win64 platforms please tell me which classes are supported for DAO Database Manoj Jangid ...

OnNcHitTest() from 32 bit to 64 bit
Hi, When I am converting a program from 32 bit to 64 bit, I have a compile error for OnNcHitTest(). To make the program compilable in both 32 bit and 64 bit, is the following way normally people do? I wonder why Microsoft makes such a prototype change as for OnNcHitTest()? Please help. Thanks. #ifdef x64 afx_msg LRESULT OnNcHitTest(CPoint point); #else afx_msg UINT OnNcHitTest(CPoint point); Tony Tony Young <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in news:#O$4c0jQGHA.2496 @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl: > Hi, > > When I am converting a program from 32 bit to 64 bit, I have a compile &...

Office 2007 Small Business 32 Bit & 64 bit On disk?
About 4 months ago I bought MS Office Business 2007 for my current desktop - XP Professional 32 bit OS. I am buying a new laptop Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Can I use the same disk or is there an upgrade? Thanks, There isnt a 207 64bit version If its a retail version you can install on your Laptop using your cd, having first uninstalled any Trial and its Activation Assistant, and rebooted (Ensure MSUpdate has run for critical updates first) "Dryway" <Dryway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E33B006-2346-4E6C-BA8F-5B3F748AFCA2@microsoft.co...

Dirty Tricks
You dirty bastards. I clicked on the "check for banks supported" by my money product installed and i get this... Banking Direct Services* are the fastest, easiest way to connect with your financial institution and have your statements automatically downloaded into Money directly from your financial institution. * This service is only available if you have Microsoft Money 2005. You will need to use Microsoft .NET Passport in order to access your account information. Your financial institution may offer an alternative means of downloading statements and transactions from their web...