DirectX on Win/XP

I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.

I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.

I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.

Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?

David
0
David

David wrote:
> I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>
> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>
> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>
> David

It's in the C:/Windows/System32 folder.

<David> wrote in message news:q22tg5hjbj3qrp5pu0p1jj65uesugeopor@4ax.com...
>I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>
> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>
> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>
> David

DirectX is a non-uninstallable (sp?) program. If you want to see what
version you're running, and the associated files, go to Start, Run, type in
DXDIAG, and press enter.

SC Tom

0
SC
11/26/2009 2:31:49 PM
<David> wrote in message news:q22tg5hjbj3qrp5pu0p1jj65uesugeopor@4ax.com...

> I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>
> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?

This appears normal.  You will probably find DirectX has installed
itself in default location c:\windows\system, i.e. the software
identifies itself as part of the Operating System rather than an
independent application.  You can test/adjust DirectX by
running c:\windows\system\dxdiag.exe

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
11/26/2009 2:32:01 PM
David wrote:
> I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>
> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>
> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>
> David

There are a few things to learn about DirectX. You
can't "go backwards" in release numbers. If you needed
DirectX 8 and installed DirectX 9 for example, you
can't install DirectX 8 over top of DirectX 9. You'd
stay at 9.

You can install the same DirectX file over and over
again, without apparent side effects. At least, I've
done it and can't see a difference.

There are some other issues with DirectX, which is
the versioning information. Microsoft keeps offering
downloads with later dates, but claims they're all
"DirectX 9c". But there is one file in each download,
which is different, and appears to accumulate. And
some software appears to search for a specific version
of that file, not accepting one with a later number
on it. Check and see how many of these you've got for
example.

d3dx9_24.dll
d3dx9_25.dll
d3dx9_34.dll

And when you use DXDIAG.exe and look at your config, those
files don't seem to be mentioned in any way that I can
tell. A certain Lifecam software update, looks for
only d3dx9_35.dll for example.

If you happen to run Win2K, and want to try the latest
games, Microsoft has been careful to add some "WinXP only"
features into DirectX. This just seems to be carelessness,
done on purpose to get people to dump Win2K. Well done,
Microsoft. (In some cases, you can use a hex editor and
patch around it, that is, if someone figures out the
recipe. I've tried that for one game in Win2K, and got
it to run just fine. Which shows, if it wasn't for
embedded stupidity, there is no actual issue with the
game running. At one time, Win2K and WinXP were considered
to be very similar, so that it shouldn't have been much
work to support both.) There is a difference between
"not supporting" something, and willfully breaking it.

I don't play that many games, and I suspect some gamer
sites will have a lot more quirks for you. On the one
hand, since DirectX is usually bundled on the game
CD, chances are few people will see these issues. But
stuff like the Lifecam, means it may bite you when
you least expect it. For the Lifecam, the DirectX
thing seems to be related to placing animations
on top of your webcam feed (goofy special effects).
Most people would never suspect they'd have need
of something like that, to be able to chat with
grandma.

    Paul
0
Paul
11/26/2009 4:41:49 PM
I read all the responses and found some interesting stuff on my pc

There is a c:\windows\syatem32\DirectX\Dinput directory with lots of
files dated back in 2004.  They appear to be files related to a
variety of human interface peripherals.  The files seem to have been
installed by the PC mfg.

DXDIAG system tab     shows that I have v9.0c
DXDIAG Files Tab       all dated 4/14/2008
No files on my PC are in the form d3dx9_??.dll  I used File Mgr Search

My version of Direct X appears over 18 months old.  Should I update?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:05 -0500, David wrote:

>I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>
>I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
>program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
>with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>
>I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
>DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>
>Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>
>David
0
David
11/27/2009 3:35:31 PM
David wrote:
> I read all the responses and found some interesting stuff on my pc
>
> There is a c:\windows\syatem32\DirectX\Dinput directory with lots of
> files dated back in 2004.  They appear to be files related to a
> variety of human interface peripherals.  The files seem to have been
> installed by the PC mfg.
>
> DXDIAG system tab     shows that I have v9.0c
> DXDIAG Files Tab       all dated 4/14/2008
> No files on my PC are in the form d3dx9_??.dll  I used File Mgr Search
>
> My version of Direct X appears over 18 months old.  Should I update?

Ask Microsoft using their search feature at www.microsoft.com Use the
key word DirectX and compare the version available there to the one you
have.

Personally, I think you're making mountains out of mole hills.

David wrote:
> I read all the responses and found some interesting stuff on my pc
>
> There is a c:\windows\syatem32\DirectX\Dinput directory with lots of
> files dated back in 2004.  They appear to be files related to a
> variety of human interface peripherals.  The files seem to have been
> installed by the PC mfg.
>
> DXDIAG system tab     shows that I have v9.0c
> DXDIAG Files Tab       all dated 4/14/2008
> No files on my PC are in the form d3dx9_??.dll  I used File Mgr Search
>
> My version of Direct X appears over 18 months old.  Should I update?

There is no reason to panic. I gave the little details I've run into,
so you'd be prepared for future situations.

You don't have to "update daily", and simply update when a new game
or game demo (or webcam software) requires. My version of DirectX is
stale as well, and I currently don't have need of an update. All the
games on the PC play fine with what I've got. A new game will tell you
if there is a problem. Most of the time, the game is bundled
with DirectX Redist, to cover the game requirements. And it shouldn't
have side effects, unless you're trying to get a DirectX 5 game to
run again. Chances are, any DirectX 7,8,9 game should co-exist nicely.

    Paul

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:05 -0500, David wrote:
>
>> I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>>
>> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
>> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
>> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>>
>> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
>> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>>
>> David
0
Paul
11/27/2009 4:11:29 PM

"David" wrote in message news:5urvg5l6p7026pvbotnrid00o23psosgb3@4ax.com...
> I read all the responses and found some interesting stuff on my pc
>
> There is a c:\windows\syatem32\DirectX\Dinput directory with lots of
> files dated back in 2004.  They appear to be files related to a
> variety of human interface peripherals.  The files seem to have been
> installed by the PC mfg.
>
> DXDIAG system tab     shows that I have v9.0c
> DXDIAG Files Tab       all dated 4/14/2008
> No files on my PC are in the form d3dx9_??.dll  I used File Mgr Search
>
> My version of Direct X appears over 18 months old.  Should I update?
>

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:05 -0500, David wrote:
>
>>I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>>
>>I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
>>program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
>>with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>>
>>I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
>>DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>>
>>Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>>
>>David

9.0c is the latest available version for XP, so you're good to go. Like
someone else said, you may be making too much ado over nothing.

SC Tom

0
SC
11/27/2009 5:14:07 PM
You are probably right.  I am probably making a mountain out of a mole
hill.  But, my reason for the post and inquiry is merely curiosity.  I
like to know how things work.  I found it curious that ADD/Rem Pgms
had no DirectX.  However, I will take your advice and let things go as
they are until a game doesn't work because of DirectX.

Thanks, David

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:43:17 +0100, C <nospamming@please.com.invalid>
wrote:

>David wrote:
>> I read all the responses and found some interesting stuff on my pc
>>
>> There is a c:\windows\syatem32\DirectX\Dinput directory with lots of
>> files dated back in 2004.  They appear to be files related to a
>> variety of human interface peripherals.  The files seem to have been
>> installed by the PC mfg.
>>
>> DXDIAG system tab     shows that I have v9.0c
>> DXDIAG Files Tab       all dated 4/14/2008
>> No files on my PC are in the form d3dx9_??.dll  I used File Mgr Search
>>
>> My version of Direct X appears over 18 months old.  Should I update?
>
>Ask Microsoft using their search feature at www.microsoft.com Use the
>key word DirectX and compare the version available there to the one you
>have.
>
>Personally, I think you're making mountains out of mole hills.

>> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:05 -0500, David wrote:
>>
>>> I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc.
>>>
>>> I have installed a game that requires DirectX.  The installation
>>> program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along
>>> with the game.  Everything seems to work fine.
>>>
>>> I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for
>>> DirectX.  There is no entry for DirectX.
>>>
>>> Am I misunderstanding something?  What happened to DirectX?
>>>
>>> David
0
David

Win nt 40 dns / wins issu
Hi There, Had a network card go on a secondary dns server running both wins and dns, the problem is after replacing the nic card I cant get server manager to see the backup contoller, its greayed out in the list. If I clear all the wins entires I cant start to brows the network neighborhood again , but that is only temporary. After a shout while I loose the brows to feature in the networkneighborhood . There has got to be a simpler was to replace a nic card without having this kind of problem. Any suggestions to get this thing back in the network. The backup server also wants to become the m...

office xp
i have been using office xp 2002 on my computer for over a year. all of a sudden my pull down menus do not show up. there is a outline of the pull down, but no text. i removed & reinstalled office, down loaded all the updates, ran virus scan and still no luck. this only happens on microsoft office programs. other programs like note pad work fine. ...

cannot create profiles in win 7 mail 32 bit
I upgraded to WIndows 7 professional 64 bit and still cannot get my MS Office 2003 to work properly. All the programs except Outlook seems to work fine. I am totally unable to open outlook without mail profiles. I click on mail in control panel and I get low memoery or resources too low. That's impossible. I have 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM. In addition, I noticed to night that while I created a profile for myself as Admin, I do ot have admin permissions EVEN IF I say 'run as admin" If I open my profile, it syas Admin under my name yet shows up as standard user. I...

FRx 6.7 compatibility Win 2008 x64 SQL2008
Hi Everyone, I have a client who is intending to upgrade their GP to V10, and FRx 6.7. They want to replace their existing Windows 2003 32-bit server SQL 2000, with a Windows 2008 64-bit server with SQL2008. This is all fine (apparently) for GP 10, but not for FRx, which is "not supported" on either Windows 2008, SQL2008 or X64. I can't even keep the old 2003 server for FRx, because the GP databases are running on the Win 2008 x64 SQL2008 machine. Has anyone been faced with this scenario? If so, how did you get around the problem? I'm surprised that I have to recommen...

Behavior of winodws xp zip files
Hi All! When I search files(filter: "*") using windows xp's search companion, I found that if it has zip files under the searching path, the result maybe isn't correct. That means, when you search several times using same setting, you'll got severals result. I know windows Xp has built-in zip files surpport, and it's done by component zipflder.dll,but I want to know more about how it is implemented. Where can I find reference about this problem? When zipflder.dll is triggered, does it add new entries to FDT or FAT? How could this impact a program which do ...

Hanging outlook express on XP
I have windows XP and whenever I change identities in outlook express, it hangs for about 5 to 7 minutes then works as usual. I found an article to fix this problem with all versions of windows before XP and it includes editing the registry under Identities. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274017 I went thorough and deleted all the registry items that had the DWORD type and it still ocurred. I've imported them back in now. Any ideas? Nick wrote: > I have windows XP and whenever I change identities in > outlook express, it hangs for about 5 to 7 minutes then > wo...

Can I install MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 for Win XP?
I am trying to install Microsoft Dynamics in Win xp, it gives an error saying MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 has to be istalle first Can I go ahead and install SP1 for win XP ( THIS IS AN OFFLINE INSTALLTION RIGHT NOW I am not using Exchange server to get my Email) Let me know how to install the same and teh precaution I have to take Most of the errors expected are given for WIN 200 SERVER & 2003 SERVER IN TECHNET HENCE THIS QUESTION TO TYE COMMUNITY Regards Harish Sorry - not even a hint of an Outlook related question. Try a forum for = Microsoft Dynamics. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP ...

HTML Source Edit in Outlook XP
How can I do this? With Outlook Express there is a tab at the bottom that lets you switch from preview to source view. Is this option available on Outlook XP? Thanks No, outlook doesn't support source editing. You'll need to edit it in another program and paste the code into outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:...

Problem with attachments
Suddenly when one of my co-workers sends me a Word doc. my Outlook 2000 blocks it, saying it blocked the potential unsafe .lnk file? What is a .lik file and what is happening for it to show up this way? Thx for any info. Gary *.LNK is a shortcut to a file. Double check with your co-worker to make sure they mean to send you a shortcut. (Shortcuts can be construed as a program and might be a worm/virus.) They may say "oops" and send you the actual word document and not a shortcut to something. "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:vl70d.35...

EXCH 5.5 SP4, Win NT4 SP6a --> Win 2K
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/upgrading/path/winnt4351serv.asp I never realised you could upgrade from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server As anybody ever done this and left Exchange 5.5 SP4 running okay? Or is there some adverse aeffects? ...

Recalculations Excel 2002 (xp)
I am curious to how others are hangling the following problem. I have number of users that are unable to perform a recalculation on ther spreadsheets (via shift + F9 or tools\optionscalculations\calc sheet) When you have a spreadsheet set up for manual calculations( ie Tools\options\calculations\manual) the worksheet does not recalculate. Using F9 from that point will not recalculate the spreadsheet either (of course all this is dependent on cell changes / updates) . Now, this being said, if you use F9 to recalculate the spreadsheet fro the beginning then the spreadsheet recalculates prope...

XP and Outlook 2000
Greetings: New box with XP Pro. I installed Office 2000. When I launch Outlook, everything works fine for about three minutes. Then, I get one of those "Sorry for the inconvenience. Have to shut down Outlook 2000." It's that error message that gives me the option to send the error to MS. When I send the error to MS, it tells me that a fix is available for download. I follow the instructions and go to the Office Updates site. It scans my box and tells me that my Office installation is up to date and no updates are available. Whether or not I choose to send the error to MS or n...

Outlook and Firewall Issues (XP's ICF)
Hi I have a problem whereby when working from home and connecting to the Office Exchange server, Outlook will only work if ICF is switched off. Does anyone know why this is the case? I'm running Windows XP SP1 and Outlook 2000. Ragrds Martyn ...

Outlook XP (2002) cannot find reply address
When I reply to an email, Outlook does not find the address of the person I am replying to and instead asks me to tell it using that fun little dialog that creates a new address book entry. I don't need or want everyone that sends me an email in my address book, and want it to stop checking for an entry there and just use the one on the email I am replying to - like all previous versions of Outlook (97 & 2000) did. ...

Viewing Current Appointments
Hi there I'm trying to customise the Outlook Calendar View so that I only see a list of my appointments from today onwards. I have changed the view to Active Appointments. I almost have what I want however Outlook lists the recurring appointments first (which start prior to today's date, such as birthdays). I have set the Group By and Sort By options to (none) and have applied the advanced option "to start on or after today" in the Customise Current View window. Any help much appreciated Michelle ...

Installing Windows XP on new Hard drive
Hi, I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive? Thanks Gerald "Gerald Bramwell" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I > have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just > disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive? > > Thanks > > Gerald > . > I&#...

DirectX + MFC
Hi, Has anyone got around integrating DirectX in MFC. I need Help!!! Cheers;-), Vicky On 27 Feb 2006 01:33:01 -0800, ashleyransoo@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Has anyone got around integrating DirectX in MFC. I need Help!!! > > Cheers;-), > Vicky I recently saw a project at codeproject that integrates directx and MFC. Hi Ash...Check out the link below...hope it'll be helpful: http://www.moon-labs.com/resources/IntegratingDirect3D9.0WithMFC.pdf ...

Windows XP Pro startup problem
Hi, I have a customer that is running Windows XP Pro. Their PC was working fine and they claim that they did not change any hardware or software. All of a sudden, however, Windows XP will not start. After being powered on, the PC gets stuck either at the "Microsoft Windows XP" screen with the progress meter or at "Loading Personal Settings". This happens every time they try to start the PC and they eventually have to force it off with the power button. They have tried booting to "Normal Mode", "Safe Mode", and "Last Known Good ...

Win 7 look
I'm running WinXP Pro and have made it *look* like Win98SE. Will it be possible to make Win 7 *look* like Win98SE? Henry Henry wrote: > I'm running WinXP Pro and have made it *look* like Win98SE. > > Will it be possible to make Win 7 *look* like Win98SE? > > Henry XP can easily be switched to classic mode http://www.ahinc.com/wxp.htm#classic Win7 can not quite be switched to the classic look but you can get it to do this http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/turn-windows-7-taskbar-back-to-classic-mode/87.html Sure, just pull the p...

KB978542 (win 7)
After installing KB978542 - Windows mail doesn't work no more. (KB890830 came with the above update) Tech guy wrote: > After installing KB978542 - Windows mail doesn't work no more. > > (KB890830 came with the above update) Have you tried uninstalling KB978542 from Programs and Features > Installed updates ? Windows Mail is not supposed to work in Windows 7 unless you've hacked it or upgraded from Vista. Suggest you contact MS for **no-charge support** in resolving this issue. From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978542 " How to obtain he...

How can Outlook be reinstalled on XP
Working with XP Pro. User was using only Outlook Express and deleted every file relating to Outlook. Now they want to install Outlook and there is nothing to be found. How can Outlook be reinstalled? Thanks Outlook or Outlook Express? For Outlook; insert the Office CD For Outlook Express; reinstall Internet Explorer 6 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Robert" <Robert@donotspam.com> wrote in message news:u4ckZYyfEHA.904@TK2MSFTN...

DirectX on Win/XP
I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc. I have installed a game that requires DirectX. The installation program for the game installed the latest version of DirectX along with the game. Everything seems to work fine. I expected to see an entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs for DirectX. There is no entry for DirectX. Am I misunderstanding something? What happened to DirectX? David David wrote: > I have Win XP Pro/SP3 on my pc. > > I have installed a game that requires DirectX. The installation > program for the game installed the latest version of Dir...

Outlook updated to XP erroneously
Apparently during an automatic Windows update, my Outlook 2000 got upgraded to Outlook XP. Now Outlook says it can't open for the user name that is running. ( I don't understand that) Then it says run set-up. I don't have an XP set-up disc and when I use my Outlook 2000 Pro CD it does not fix the problem. Help!!!! Impossible - Updates NEVER upgrade your software. Are you sure you didn't just get a PDA with Outlook 2002 on it? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) vi...

MailMerge loosing format from XL/Xp DS
I am trying to run a mail merge using an excel Data Source. The data in the amount column is typed in, and is formatted as currency. when the mail merge is performed my data is changed from $300.26 to 300.259999999 on the letter. I have tried to format the data column with anything that accepts a decimal; and receive the same results. Can you help? I am running everything on the xp office disk, and service pack 2 After you select your Excel file as a data source, you should see a 'Confirm Data Source' dialog box. From that list, choose 'MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)...

Directx Version With XP Pro
What is the latest version of DirectX I should be running with XP Pro/SP3. I'm currently running 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) "Rangerhgm" wrote: > What is the latest version of DirectX I should be running with XP Pro/SP3. > > I'm currently running 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT video card also "Rangerhgm" wrote: > What is the latest version of DirectX I should be running with XP Pro/SP3. > > I'm currently running 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) I'm also running a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT video ...