Diagnostic Utilities

Hi,

Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for
motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you
think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance.

Thanks.

"mturus" <mturus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for
> motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you
> think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance.
>
> Thanks.

Since you're not asking for specific troubleshooting tips and software,
Google can be your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=free+pc+diagnostic+utilities&aq=4&aqi=g7g-m2&oq=free+pc+diagn

--
SC Tom

0
SC
2/1/2010 11:32:47 PM
mturus skrev:
> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for
> motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you
> think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance.
>
> Thanks.
Hi,

Give Sisoft Sandra a try...

http://www.sisoftware.net/?d=&f=downandbuy&l=en&a=

Kindly

Mac
0
mig
2/2/2010 12:13:39 AM
On 2/02/2010 09:46, mturus wrote:
> Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for
> motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you
> think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance.

The most useful diagnostic tools are already part of the XP operating
system:

   - Event Log
   - Performance Monitor
   - Task Manager
   - netdiag (from the Support Tools on the XP CD)
   - Notepad (for reading *.log text files)
   - systeminfo (at a command prompt)

Many users overlook these extremely useful and powerful tools, which are
already installed by default and ready to use in XP!

Process Explorer and Process Monitor are also very useful tools,
available for free from SysInternals, now part of Microsoft:

   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/default.aspx

To understand network behaviour and troubleshoot network problems, the
canonical Windows tool is Network Monitor, aka NetMon:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en

(NetMon is supplied with Windows Server, but it's a download for
Workstation).

The Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit has many useful diagnostic
utilities, most of which work equally well on XP. Again it's a free
download from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

The Windows Debugging Tools can show you *exactly* what the system is
doing on the inside; although, they do require a little skill and
knowledge to use effectively:

   http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

For hardware-specific diagnostics (motherboard, hard disks etc) many
vendors supply troubleshooting utilities via their website. In any case,
even vendor-supplied drivers will log significant events in the Windows
Event Log (this is required to get their drivers Microsoft-certified).
Many vendor drivers also provide ETW (Event Tracing for Windows), which
can be turned on using the Debugging tools:

To detect what hardware is installed on an unknown machine, I have had
great success with SIW, written by Gabriel Topala:

    http://www.gtopala.com

SIW is pretty much the only non-Microsoft or vendor-specific tool I use
for working on Windows issues.

Many 3rd party utilities downloaded from the web only repeat the same
information (sometimes incomplete or inaccurately) that you can get from
the OS itself. Sometimes they also let you directly manipulate system
data (eg disk blocks) in very dangerous ways, instead of going through
documented OS APIs. Occasionally, they're also vectors for viruses and
malware. So I'd recommend you avoid them; unless you have a really
specific purpose in mind.

An oscilloscope could be useful for the really tricky problems; but
hopefully you won't hit too many of those! :-)

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--
amclar at optusnet dot com do au
0
mturus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for
> motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you
> think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance.
>
> Thanks.

memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

Prime95 (stress test option only) from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft
Running the stress test, with no errors detected, tells you
the CPU and RAM are good.

Hard drive diagnostics can be downloaded from the manufacturer.
For example, seagate.com has SeaTools for DOS as a floppy based
test for your Seagate brand hard drive.

You can run 3DMark2001 as a check that the graphics card can
handle some DirectX 3D activity. http://majorgeeks.com/3Dmark_d99.html
I use that version, because compared to more modern versions, it
is a relatively small download.

HTH,
      Paul
0
Paul

Import Utility
Does anyone out there use an import utility that provides consistent results? I have been using SMS and sometimes get suprises I don't care for. -- billr Bill, We have written a data management utility that enables you to import data from a CSV specifying the exact RMS fields you wish it to populate. This utility also enables you to export data tidy/manipulate and re-import. This utility also comes complete with an attributes module enabling you to record unlimited number of attributes against an Item, Customer and Supplier record. If you would like to discuss this further please...

Error found while running "Perform Special Upgrade" in Utility
After installing HR and Manufacturing into my GP 8.0, I got missing Stored Procedure error message. Therefore I went to GP Utility program to perform special upgrade for trying to add additional stored procedure. However; after I clicked on "Process" and "Update" button, I got the following error messages, does anyone know how to solve it? Error message 1: The following SQL statement produced an error: GRANT SELECT , UPDATE , INSERT , DELETE ON [dbo].[IVR10015] TO [DYNGRP] Error message 2: ERROR [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object n...

Utilities
Hi to all, I decided to publish some of my small tools (for free). They are collected at http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/utilities_en.html I use them for my daily work, may be others find them useful too. They are somewhat programmer centric (especially regarding their GUI :-)) At the moment only a color selector tool is there, but more will follow. Its rather tedious to write a meaningful description, so be patient with me :-) -- Ulrich Korndoerfer VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/ ...

Corrupt Database does not show in database utility
There have been several reports of users not seeing their database when trying to rebuild. Please reply to this thread on the Entourage newsgroup with results. Thanks! BASIC: Entourage 2008 rebuild utility will only show the 2008 databases. Possible reasons why database is not seen: 1) Database didn't finish upgrading to 2004. The last thing during an upgrade is to set the version number. Thus the rebuild tool could think it is still 2004 or perhaps the part of the file that stores this info might be damaged? (Pretty unlikely) 2) There are some permission issues opening the file,...

Store at 100% utilization
This problem cost me $245. MS Product support knew it immediately. An automatic download from McAfee GroupShield Exchange conflicted with the Exchg 2K store, causing 100% CPU Utilization within the store.exe process. The link for the fix is http://a64.g.akamai.net/7/64/2015/2004-01-07-1-52-44-300/download.nai.com/products/licensed/superdat/engine/intel/4320/4320eng.exe . You would think Mr.McAfee would test before releasing a bug ridden piece of code. Has anyone else had this problem? I think McAfee should pay for this screwup.....Programmers are not exempt from malpractice and/or incompeten...

Diagnostics Logging
Some email to some domains can't be delivered showing as "The connection was dropped by the remote host" What type of logging should I enable to troubleshoot this? THanks also, where does it log too be default? "James" <fake@email.com> wrote in message news:uxUhWt9eEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Some email to some domains can't be delivered > showing as "The connection was dropped by the remote host" > > What type of logging should I enable to troubleshoot this? > > THanks > > ...

Database Utility fails to rebuild corrupted database: NOW what?
Mac 10.5.8 Entourage 2008 Entourage fails to open. I'm told "Your Office Database is damaged." I tried to use Database Utility, as suggested, but it hung up on step 5 and I had to Force Quit. I replaced the Microsoft User Data file with a backup made a month ago -- long before problems started. Again Entourage fails to open and I'm told "Your Office Database is damaged," and AGAIN, Database Utility hangs up on Step 5. (I gave it 3 hours before a Force Quit.) NOW what? On 1/7/10 3:37 PM, in article 59bb0492.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "SG"...

Diskpar utility ?
Where can I find and download this utility? diskpart.exe under Windows 2003 is under c:\winnt\system32. Under 2000 I think it's part of the resource kit. "Dan" wrote: > Where can I find and download this utility? I found the diskpart but have not found the diskpar. I wonder if it's only on the resource kit? "Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote: > diskpart.exe under Windows 2003 is under c:\winnt\system32. Under 2000 I > think it's part of the resource kit. > > > > "Dan" wrote: > > > Where can I find and download ...

what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions?
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? I am not sure what the precise permission set it. That it runs on XP and not on Win2003 could certainly be a permissionset issue, but if you (an authenticated domain user?) have a different permission set on an XP domain-joined machine vs a Win2003 domain-joined machine within the same domain - and are therefore seeing this stuff while developing your app - that's just hokey and your ...

Exchange Utility
I was looking for a utility that allows me to extract mails based on certain criteria (like date range, from, to etc) and move them in to another mailbox within or another server mailbox. We have a mailbox that has about 800k (not a typo) emails and the size of the mailbox is approaching 50G. I need split that mailbox in to reasonable size and I am not sure there are such server based utilities that I can run that allows me to extract mails out of that mailbox and into another smaller size mailboxes. Outlook Export/Import basically hangs and ExMerge is not sufficient Can you help? Reply at dd...

Which utility does this?
There was an Exchange utility in EX2000 that would analyze an Exchange install and recommend which disk resources should be used for various Exchange storage requirements. It would also reconfigure Exchange to move the resources where it recommended them to be. Where is this utility in Exchange 2003? Thanks. It was the performance analyser. If you work out the ideal place to put the files, you can use ESM to point at the new places and ESM will do the move for you. "Tom C." <nospam@nospam.nul> wrote in message news:O0%236EhfSGHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > The...

Locking Diagnostics
Would anyone have the source to sp_blockinfo stored procedure? Thanks in advance On Tue, 25 May 2010 07:44:40 -0400, "RG" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote: >Would anyone have the source to sp_blockinfo stored procedure? > >Thanks in advance > Try mhtml:http://grumpyolddba.co.uk/sql2000/KB703_SQL Server 2000 P&T Survival Guide.mht#_Toc53370361 John You are too kind. I found a lot of goodies there. Thanks again "John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:q5lnv5pk6cflo90dpg08kkrshmqqgbno7t@4ax.com... &...

Error trying to run GP utilities.
When I open a company DB I get the error: "Files for this company have not been updated". So I goto GP Utilities, but for some reason I can't get to run the GP utilities. Everytime I run it I get there error message: "there was a problem ascertaining product version information. Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities will now exit" I search the Newsgroup and the closedt to the error I'm getting is in the thread "GP10 Upgrade Fails in Dynamics". There was a recommendation to change a value so GP utils can update the module, but I dont think thats my pr...

Norton Utilities Detects Crash
Every time i close outlook 2002 (running windows 98) Norton Utilities tells me it just crashed and to terminate the program..I once fixed this on another computer but i forgot how thanks Are you talking about the really old CrashGuard that came with NU *before* version 2002? This was a flaky program even when it was new and appropriate only for the Windows version it supported. Maybe you're trying to run CrashGuard on a version of Windows or with a service pack level that it no longer supports. Did you find any support articles at http://www.symantec.com/ on your version of NU for Cr...

Diagnostics Logging Files
When you turn on the Diagnostics Logging on, for example, MSExchangeMU, where are located subsequent the log files? What I did was: under Exchange System Attendant, right-click on MYEXCHSERVER, and then Properties, Diagnostics Logging tab, set MSExchangeMU at maximum logging level. And then stop/start the Exhange services. Did I miss something? Help appreciated. Nicolas On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:49:43 +0200, "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> wrote: >When you turn on the Diagnostics Logging on, for example, MSExchangeMU, >where are located subsequent the log files?...

Office Diagnostics issue ...
Today a display box appeared with a suggestion to run Microsoft Office 2007 Diagnostics Tool because it detected that my Office was crashing frequently. I allowed it to run as suggested, and other than one part that couldn't complete because of something being missing, it detected no problems with memory or compatibility, etc. The crashing it detected I suspect is caused by an installation of software from Avanquest called Lightning PDF. Ever since I installed it, Word does not close correctly 99% of the time, and Avanquest tells me I am the only person with this problem (...

Utility to change resolution in Win XP
I have poor eyesite and have my resolution set at 640 x 480 most of the time, however when I run Photoshop Elements 7, I need to have it set at 1024 x 768 in order to see all of the program on the screen. I know that there are utilities that set in your tray that you can change the resolution manually. Is there any way to have the resolution change automatically when ever I would open PSE and then change back to 640 x 480 when I leave PSE? http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm 12noon :: Display Changer John bigbuck98 wrote: > I have poor eyesite and have my resol...

can users utilize a remote site access private store data on their local node Exchange 2003 Virtual Server?
Scenario: Exchange 2003 Enterprise clustered using Majority Node Set in two geographically dispersed sites. Active/passive configuration. Is Exchange or the clustering smart enough to utilize private store data from the passive server at the backup site? In other words, is there a way so when users log on to the domain at the backup site for them to download their mail data from the local Exchange server node at their facility rather than getting it across the WAN at the primary site? or does this require active/active (which is strongly discouraged I read). I haven't implemented any...

ToDo utility in Excel VBA?
Hi, Does anybody know of an Excel utility that would scan all code in a VBA project, and come up with a list of ToDo items? I know such utilities are available for many programming languages/tools. The rationale behind this request is to, for example, insert ToDo statements in a project while coding, so that I do not forget to complete some task later on. Thanks, Amit How about MsgBox("Don't forget to do this thing!") I frequently use MsgBox as a debugging tool. Hi A quick solution is to declare a public string variable "ToDo" in a standard module and then...

InterOrg Replication Utility #4
In working with the InterOrg Replication Utility, I successfully synchronized my Public Folders from Exchagne 5.5 to Exchange 2003 in a different organization. I failed to synchronize all the settings, so I created a new new config file using exscfg.exe utility. This did not update the permissions, so I deleted the public folders on the target 2003 server and tried to synchronze again. Unfortunately, I am receiveing unable to import folder marked for deletion error messages. Does anyone know how to unmark these public folders so that I can synchronize again? The error is "unab...

Diagnostic Utility
Does anyone know of a diagnostic utility to run that would verify the integrity of the data in CRM? ...

Diagnostic Utilities
Hi, Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you think could be helpful for troubleshooting and maintenance. Thanks. "mturus" <mturus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BBED43F-C76C-48D7-835C-1A3921930EAC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Can you recommend any free diagnostic utilitly please? That could be for > motherboard, graphic card, hard disk, etc.. and plus any other utility you > think could be helpful for troubleshooting and...

Welcome to OutlookFreeware.com: more than 70 free Microsoft Outlook Add-ins, Tools and Utilities
1. Export Messages to EML Format Exports messages to EML format using a specified folder. It is possible to retain the original Outlook folder structure. http://www.OutlookFreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookMessagesExportEML 2. Add Attachments Attaches files from a specified folder to messages. It is possible to skip files with identical names. http://www.OutlookFreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookAttachmentsAdd 3. Pack Attachments Packs attachments using specified file mask to one or more ZIP archives. Attaches resulting archives and deletes source attachments. Thus it becomes possible to ...

Import utility for .csv/.xls data into RMS?
Hello: I have recently been tasked with administering the database of several systems at work including Microsft RMS. I see there is a native export feature in the admin utility to draw data out of the SQL DB, but no such Import feature. I have a csv of several hundred Customer's I would like to bulk import into RMS. Is this QS import utility able to do that? If so, where would you get it? thanks! Mark, If your company is on a Maintenance program you can login to the CustomerSource website and download it from there. And yes it can import your csv file. Rob "Mark" <...

How to use diagnostic logging to track attachments
Hello The environment is SBS 2003, I have someone who is complaining about not receiving attachments from external senders. Intelligent message filtering is not enabled for the virtual smtp server, there are no anti-spam or antivirus applications installed on the server. I checked the logs and message tracking and I see evidence of the email, but how do I see when an attachment is included? I tried diagnostics logging and turned smtp to maximum but I still don't see a record of attachments. I need a way to see what the mail server is doing with attachments. Can this be done with diagnosti...