copy utility

Hi

The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it cannot
read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error message and
skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have been copied
unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount of files. Is there
any utility can solve this problem?

0
wu

"wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it
> cannot read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error
> message and skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files
> have been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount
> of files. Is there any utility can solve this problem?

The copy/paste facility in Explorer is a GUI: Nice and easy to use, not a
great deal of flexibility. If it is flexibility you're after, e.g. having a
proper action/error report then a batch file based on xcopy (now deprecated)
or robocopy is your answer. Either will give you as much or as little
feedback as you require. Either can stop at an error or continue after
logging it. Time to become familiar with batch files!

0
Pegasus
4/23/2010 8:41:14 PM
thanks, I downloaded a copy of Robocopy and will give a try

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it
>> cannot read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error
>> message and skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files
>> have been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount
>> of files. Is there any utility can solve this problem?
>
> The copy/paste facility in Explorer is a GUI: Nice and easy to use, not a
> great deal of flexibility. If it is flexibility you're after, e.g. having
> a proper action/error report then a batch file based on xcopy (now
> deprecated) or robocopy is your answer. Either will give you as much or as
> little feedback as you require. Either can stop at an error or continue
> after logging it. Time to become familiar with batch files!

0
wu
4/23/2010 9:05:26 PM
> Hi
>
> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it
> cannot read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error
> message and skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files
> have been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount
> of files. Is there any utility can solve this problem?

Try undo after the failed operation.
It's on the right click menu in an explorer window.

It's not perfect I know but it's a help in this kind of situation.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk

0
Brian
4/23/2010 9:23:27 PM
wu wrote:

>Hi
>
>The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it cannot
>read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error message and
>skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have been copied
>unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount of files. Is there
>any utility can solve this problem?

You should consider moving the files instead of copying them.  This way
any files that are unreadable, are left as they are.

The process is as follows:

1) Select the files you want to move using Windows Explorer;
2) Now on the Menu bar go to Edit, Move to Folder
3) You can now choose where these files are to be moved
4) Click on Move button

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.

0
LD55ZRA
4/23/2010 10:22:26 PM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> �crivait

> "wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it
>> cannot read one file during the copy process, explorer just give
>> error message and skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how
>> may files have been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I
>> copy huge amount of files. Is there any utility can solve this
>> problem?
>
> The copy/paste facility in Explorer is a GUI: Nice and easy to use,
> not a great deal of flexibility. If it is flexibility you're after,
> e.g. having a proper action/error report then a batch file based on
> xcopy (now deprecated) or robocopy is your answer. Either will give
> you as much or as little feedback as you require. Either can stop at
> an error or continue after logging it. Time to become familiar with
> batch files!

I've never understood why MS didn't implement a "Skip this file" feature in
the file copy function.

In 1987 when I copied a bunch of files on my Atari ST, if there was an
error on one file, I could click "Skip" and the process continued. No batch
file and a GUI environment.

This was a huge 1 megabytes memory machine with a 256 kb OS on a ROM chip.

I'm sure someone at Microsoft has already used an Atari ST since they have
developped at least one program on it (Flight Simulator).
0
Doum
4/24/2010 12:28:12 PM
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:32:32 -0700, "wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it cannot
>read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error message and
>skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have been copied
>unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount of files. Is there
>any utility can solve this problem?

I know just what you're saying.  When I copy an entire hard drive
partition to my backup drive (external USB drive), it often chokes on
the Windows folder because of system files, and that one file that
serves as the swap file in the root.  I finally learned to copy
everything except the windows folder and that swap file.  Then I fight
with the windows folder later. But I have to agree that MS was really
not smart when they implemented the way "copy" works.  It could just
skip that file, continue on, and leave a message saying xxxxx.xxx was
skipped.  But MS is not so bright at times.

I will try some of the other programs mentioned in this thread too.

To the person who said use the "MOVE" function, that would not work
too well for a backup.
0
catatonic
4/27/2010 11:55:39 PM
catatonic-state@today.com used his keyboard to write :
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:32:32 -0700, "wu" <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good enough. If it cannot
>> read one file during the copy process, explorer just give error message and
>> skip all remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have been copied
>> unless to compare. It is painful when I copy huge amount of files. Is there
>> any utility can solve this problem?
>>

> I know just what you're saying.  When I copy an entire hard drive
> partition to my backup drive (external USB drive), it often chokes on
> the Windows folder because of system files, and that one file that
> serves as the swap file in the root.  I finally learned to copy
> everything except the windows folder and that swap file.  Then I fight
> with the windows folder later. But I have to agree that MS was really
> not smart when they implemented the way "copy" works.  It could just
> skip that file, continue on, and leave a message saying xxxxx.xxx was
> skipped.  But MS is not so bright at times.
>
> I will try some of the other programs mentioned in this thread too.
>
> To the person who said use the "MOVE" function, that would not work
> too well for a backup.

These will work perfectly, same author.

XXCOPY
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/XXCOPY.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/XXCOPY-Screenshot-14055.html
http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
http://www.xxcopy.com/download/xxcopy.zip

XXCLONE Freeware Package (for personal use only)
http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

0
Johnw
4/28/2010 4:39:40 AM
I'd call this post a little OT but none the less have added a few caveats
for the unwary since most don't RTFM before expecting everything to work
exactly as they 'think' it should work. xxcopy is an excellent application
that is command line driven and xxclone is BETA with recognized issues
remaining. Note the date and revision of the software.

See inline:

In news:hr8e6p$nhh$1@news.eternal-september.org,
Johnw <johnmattmel@gmail.com> typed:
> catatonic-state@today.com used his keyboard to write :
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:32:32 -0700, "wu"
>> <fqwu2003@126.com.discuss> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The copy/paste function in windows explorer is not good
>>> enough. If it cannot read one file during the copy
>>> process, explorer just give error message and skip all
>>> remaining files. Then I have no idea how may files have
>>> been copied unless to compare. It is painful when I copy
>>> huge amount of files. Is there any utility can solve this
>>> problem?
>>
>> I know just what you're saying.  When I copy an entire
>> hard drive partition to my backup drive (external USB
>> drive), it often chokes on the Windows folder because of
>> system files, and that one file that serves as the swap
>> file in the root.  I finally learned to copy everything
>> except the windows folder and that swap file.  Then I
>> fight with the windows folder later. But I have to agree
>> that MS was really not smart when they implemented the way
>> "copy" works.  It could just skip that file, continue on,
>> and leave a message saying xxxxx.xxx was skipped.  But MS
>> is not so bright at times.  I will try some of the other programs
>> mentioned in this
>> thread too. To the person who said use the "MOVE" function, that would
>> not work too well for a backup.
>
> These will work perfectly, same author.
>
> XXCOPY
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/XXCOPY.shtml
> http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/XXCOPY-Screenshot-14055.html
> http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
> http://www.xxcopy.com/download/xxcopy.zip

XXCopy.exe can NOT back up an operating system because it doesn't use Shadow
Copy Services. It will skip all active OS files when it backs up.
   The BEST source for XXCopy, complete with Help articles & all information
needed, is available at www.xxcopy.com/ .  Take the free version to begin
with if you're going to try it out; it's an outstanding application but
command line driven (runs fine in batch files) with several hundred switches
available.

> XXCLONE Freeware Package (for personal use only)
> http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

Note the version is 0.58.0, and dated 2007: It might be better to wait to
see if this BETA product is going to get anymore updating; it does have
bugs, a few of which are noted in the FAQ, which is necessary reading for
anyone planning to use it for serious work. TEST, test, test, before you
need it! Do not depend on it unless you have tested it in your own
application before you end up needing it.
   Disk cloning programs are avalable from just about every disk mfr there
is. There are excellent reasons for that.  An excerpt from xxclone's FAQ:
  After a successful XXCLONE operation, I rebooted the system using the
newly cloned disk.  Then, I discovered that my Office-XP says it needs a new
installation.  What should I do?

  It is best that you re-install the application as required.
  Although the cloned volume created by XXCLONE is capable of booting up the
system to a Windows operating environment very much like the original
environment, it just cannot be 100% the same.&nbps; In virtually all cases,
the hardware characteristics of the disk drives are differnt.  Even if you
choose an idenical model from the same manufacturer, the serial numbers of
the disks are differnt.

  There are a number of software products that are sensitive to minute
differences in the environment.  Typically, it is a result of deliberate
design by the software vendor.

  XXCLONE has just one provision to handle such chases.  The Cool Tools >
Duplicate Vol. ID function allows you to copy the volume serial number from
the source volume to the target volume.  For certain products (e.g., some
popular anti-virus products) that are finicky with the volume serial number,
the problem will go away with the change in the serial number.  But, in our
view, the fundamental issue is that XXCLONE can only do so much within its
design parameters.  It is our opinion that if a software product issues a
warning and suggests a specific solution, you should follow the instruction.
The duplication of the volume ID will not cure all such problems.

Q:
  Why won't XXCLNOE recognize my D: drive (CD/DVD) so I can make a bootable
copy ?

  Frankly, we are puzzled by the frequency of questions like this one.  As
the name implies, XXClone "clones" the Windows system disk to another.  We
mean a "faithful" duplication of a volume by "cloning".  The target volume
must be a local disk drive.  Currently, the target volume cannot even be a
remote computer, nor a subdirectory.
  For us, "cloning" is not a synonym of backup.
  ==========

  Here's a list of the basic XXCLONE features that are supported by *ALL*
packages of XXCLONE.

    1.. makes a self-bootable clone of the system volume. <--- Might, not
does. Often further work is necessary. See FAQs.
    2.. makes a full backup of a non-system volume. <--- Works GREAT! FAST!
    3.. restores (repairs) the self-bootability. <---- Well, sorta
    4.. makes a Quick Boot Diskette (QBD). <--- can be made to be useful
    5.. makes a batch file for repeated operations. <--- Mostly works. ymmv
    6.. may show an alternate wallpaper for distinct look.
    7.. may shut down the system after its job is done. <--- or even before
IME
    8.. may throttle down its CPU usage. <--- good option; allows use of
computer to continue during a backup.
    9.. can save log and debug files.
    10.. can add an entry in the boot menu for testing. <--- never figured
that out.
    11.. can duplicate the Volume ID. <--- See FAQs
    12.. can be run with command line options (batch file).
    13.. can be invoked in minimized/hidden modes.
    14.. provides a convenient button for the DiskMgmt tool.
  All in all, ntbackup.exe requires less futzing and hoop jumping in my
xperience. I've always thought they'd get there but the product appears dead
and unsupported IMO; nothing since 2007.
     IMO the drive mfr's clone utils are much better; there's a reason why
one mfr's cloner doesn't work for other mfr's and this is where xxclone hit
the wall, I think. I didn't think they were insurmountable problems, but
maybe they were.

  HTH,

  Twayne`

0
Twayne

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

I'm looking for the import utility for RMS
There is a third party import utility. I have downloaded it in the past but for some strange reason, probably stupidity, I can't find it. Please help. Bill, What is the name of the third party tool and where are you trying to import the items into, HQ or SO? If you know the name try seraching it in your operating system. -- Kind Regards, Shawn Ezhaghi Retail Systems Project Manager www.bspny.com Business Solution Magazine's Annual Channel Innovator POS Winner http://www.businesssolutionsmag.com/Articles/2006_02/060220.htm "Bill Cunningham" <BillCunningham@discu...

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Copy info from one workbook to another?

BadMail Utility #2
Hi! Will the utility mrntion below works with Excahneg 2000 too. The download window says Exchange 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=782aaf0f-6239-40ad-adda-97863d852ff7&displaylang=en Thank you. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO "JoeCL" <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Will the utility mrntion below works with Excahneg 2000 too. The download >window says Exchange 2003. It'll run with E2K SP2. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

subtotal copy and paste

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

everything I copy from explorer end up green in Excel How can I c.
How can I change this to copy the actual colors from the html file ??? "Sacs" wrote: > ...

copy of treeview
Hello, I have to copy information from a treeview to another treeview... The first TreeCtrl is in a dialog and the second it's in another dialog. The application is Dialog Based and I use my oen solution of property sheet. So if I want to call something from another dialog i make i this way: CResultsPageDlg resDlg((CMyAppDlg*)theApp.GetMainWnd()); resDlg.CopyTreeview(m_TreeView.GetRootItem(), m_TreeView.GetRootItem()); useing the solution from http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/dragdrop/article.php/c657/ Somebody knows how to do that? Alex What is CopyTreeview method...

When copying an item, quantity should not be copied
Whan an item is "copied" to make a new item, the Quantity should not be copied (just like "Balance Due" is not copied when a customer is copied) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/New...

Copy to Clipboard from Excel 2003
Hi, I run Office 2003. In Excel, I consistently have problems with copying information from cells. The following happens: - I select a numeric cell and do a ctrl+c, message from Excel "cannot empty the clipboard". Item does not appear on clipboard " - I select a text cell and do a ctrl+c, message from Excel "an error occured while trying to retrieve information from another program. Try working with your message again". When I OK this message, it appears one more time and when I OK a second time, the item is placed on the clipboard. I do run a very useful app call...

backup type "copy"
I am backing up my Exchange 2003 server daily using the "full" backup type. I am backing this up to tape. As another layer of protection, I was thinking about creating a backup job that was the "copy" backup type so I could backup exchange to another server or network attached storage. This wouldn't interfere with my current backup strategy, and it would give me another copy of the database stored somewhere. In the scenario where I need to restore from tape, and the tape was bad, I could then turn to this "copy". What caveats do I need to be aware of ...

copy between worksheets
Hello, I want to copy part of workskeet to another worksheet, but after i do copy and paste, the format of the worksheet is changed. For Example, I want to copy a cell area (A3 to C10) to another sheet. And it contains images and text. After i paste to another worksheet, the position of images are changed. Also the cell width and format are changed too. How can i do copyand paste a celll area contains images into antoher worksheet with original format and position? Thank you Mooscar -- mooscar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mooscar's Profile...

Copy Sales Order documents does not copy user defined fields. #2
When a Sales Order document is copied the process does not copy the user defined data if there is any on the original order/invoice. Where user defined fields are used for specific business requirements, then it is appropriate to have a choice to copy these user defined fields as well when a document is copied. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion ...

How do I copy fiies to a cd?
Like it says, I have a large number of files I need to store somewhere other than on the hard drive, so how do I get to copy them to a cd? I have tried but they don't seem to finish on the cd. Alan Outlook Express files? DBX files? Why exactly? A CD-R only has a 700MB capacity. How large are the files? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "alan.holmes" <alan.holmes27@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:Sp0an.226260$Jg5.4385@newsfe02.ams2... > > Like it says, I have a large number of files I need...