Constant Registry access in XP?

Hi all,
Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on my
PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides with
the light flashing, so my questions are:
Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?

TIA


-
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
-
0
Steve
3/14/2010 7:34:11 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

20 Replies
690 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so this 
could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too will show 
such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft monthly patches 
are the biggest cause of such things because your old files are replaced 
with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of Microsoft thinks these files with 
new dates will keep your system secure!.  This is balderdash and one should 
switch off Automatic Updates immediately because these patches are the cause 
of serious problems to people's computers.

hth

"Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message 
news:ejdqp5pmd890qpr149an95btq03nf5jtmr@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on my
> PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
> Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
> traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
> Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides with
> the light flashing, so my questions are:
> Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
> What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?
>
> TIA
>
>
> -
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
> - 


0
LD55ZRA
3/14/2010 8:07:54 PM
On Mar 14, 3:34=A0pm, Steve Evans <l...@my.sig> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on my
> PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
> Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
> traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
> Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides with
> the light flashing, so my questions are:
> Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
> What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?
>
> TIA
>
> -
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
> -

We don't know anything about your system, perhaps you have some
malicious software and we can't see your screenshot.  Without more
information you can only get guesses as a response.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name) or whatever appears to be only your business that you can delete
from the paste.

If you want use to see your screenshot here, you need to do something
like this:

To create and email/post/print a screenshot:

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows
clipboard.

Press Alt Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows
clipboard.

Open MS Paint:

Start, Program Accessories, Paint

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, save the new
Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember.  JPG files
take up less hard disk space than BMP files and just as readable.

Make as many screenshots as you need.  Practice makes perfect.  Be
careful your screenshot does not contain any personal information.
Practice viewing your images before you upload them to be sure they
are okay.

Some sites will let you attach a file directly to your post.  If the
site has some kind of attachment/upload function it is usually easiest
just to use it.

If there is no such function in your message board to upload files,
then use a free third party image hosting WWW site.

Create a free account on some free picture hosting web site.  You can
always remove your account later if you want.  Here are some free
image hosting sites:

http://www.imageshack.us/
http://photobucket.com/

Using your free account, upload your screenshot(s) (the JPG or BMP
files) to the site and it will return to you a URL web address (a
Direct Link) for your new image(s) which you can paste the Direct Link
in a message post, email, etc.

When you are done, what you post for others to use should look
something like this:

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9074/processexplorer.jpg
0
Jose
3/14/2010 9:42:21 PM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:42:21 -0700 (PDT), Jose <jose_ease@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 14, 3:34�pm, Steve Evans <l...@my.sig> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on my
>> PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
>> Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
>> traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
>> Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides with
>> the light flashing, so my questions are:
>> Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
>> What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> -
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
>> -
>
>We don't know anything about your system, perhaps you have some
>malicious software and we can't see your screenshot.  

My apologies - I forgot to paste the screenshot!
http://www.steveevans.org/photos/registry.jpg

As for malware, I ran MBAM, SAS and Spybot, all of which indicated a
malware free system.


-
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
-
0
Steve
3/15/2010 12:29:02 AM
Go into Services and stop the Indexing Service and see if that is the cause. Post 
back with result

-- 
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message 
news:ejdqp5pmd890qpr149an95btq03nf5jtmr@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on my
> PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
> Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
> traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
> Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides with
> the light flashing, so my questions are:
> Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
> What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?
>
> TIA
>
>
> -
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
> - 

0
Peter
3/15/2010 12:35:01 AM
LD55ZRA wrote:
> Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so
> this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too
> will show such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft
> monthly patches are the biggest cause of such things because your old
> files are replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of
> Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your system
> secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch off Automatic
> Updates immediately because these patches are the cause of serious
> problems to people's computers.

Steve Balmer is the CEO of one of the largest companies in America. That 
company has more CASH in the mattress than the total public debt of 
California.

If you post your bona-fides, we can make an intelligent judgment as to whose 
advice to follow. 


0
HeyBub
3/15/2010 1:55:56 AM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:35:01 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Go into Services and stop the Indexing Service and see if that is the cause. Post 
>back with result

Indexing service was set to manual a long time ago and isn't running
at the moment, so it isn't that.

Here's the services that are running after a reboot.
http://www.steveevans.org/photos/services.jpg


-
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
-
0
Steve
3/15/2010 2:18:26 AM
HeyBub wrote:

>LD55ZRA wrote:
>  
>
>>Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so
>>this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too
>>will show such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft
>>monthly patches are the biggest cause of such things because your old
>>files are replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of
>>Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your system
>>secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch off Automatic
>>Updates immediately because these patches are the cause of serious
>>problems to people's computers.
>>    
>>
>
>Steve Balmer is the CEO of one of the largest companies in America. That 
>company has more CASH in the mattress than the total public debt of 
>California.
>
>  
>
Are you sure about it?  How did that company make all that money?   Or 
what exactly is your point here?  Are you suggesting that piracy on a 
grand scale does pay if this article is anything to go by:

<http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176223.asp>

Please clarify!!!  Or just forget it if you have no solution to OP's query.

hth
0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 2:29:08 AM
HeyBub wrote:

>LD55ZRA wrote:
>  
>
>>Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so
>>this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too
>>will show such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft
>>monthly patches are the biggest cause of such things because your old
>>files are replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of
>>Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your system
>>secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch off Automatic
>>Updates immediately because these patches are the cause of serious
>>problems to people's computers.
>>    
>>
>
>Steve Balmer is the CEO of one of the largest companies in America. That 
>company has more CASH in the mattress than the total public debt of 
>California.
>
>  
>
Are you sure about it?  How did that company make all that money?   Or 
what exactly is your point here?  Are you suggesting that piracy on a 
grand scale does pay if this article is anything to go by:

<http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176223.asp>

Please clarify!!!  Or just forget it if you have no solution to OP's query.

hth
0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 2:29:26 AM
Set it to Stop not Manual

-- 
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message 
news:fs5rp5htcb6mhfn9vtibrirp4egp45tgd7@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:35:01 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Go into Services and stop the Indexing Service and see if that is the cause. Post
>>back with result
>
> Indexing service was set to manual a long time ago and isn't running
> at the moment, so it isn't that.
>
> Here's the services that are running after a reboot.
> http://www.steveevans.org/photos/services.jpg
>
>
> -
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
> - 

0
Peter
3/15/2010 2:34:17 AM
What a useless and idiotic response....or are you trying to make sure 
the poster does not have updates installed so he can more easily become 
infected?  Unpatched systems are the easiest target.
-- 
Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+
http://dts-l.net/

"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:hnjfmp$6f4$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>
> Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so 
> this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too 
> will show such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft 
> monthly patches are the biggest cause of such things because your old 
> files are replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of 
> Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your system 
> secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch off Automatic 
> Updates immediately because these patches are the cause of serious 
> problems to people's computers.
>
> hth
>
> "Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message 
> news:ejdqp5pmd890qpr149an95btq03nf5jtmr@4ax.com...
>> Hi all,
>> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD light on 
>> my
>> PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the time.
>> Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process monitor and
>> traced it down to the registry access shown in the screenshot below.
>> Process monitor doesn't show any hard drive access that coincides 
>> with
>> the light flashing, so my questions are:
>> Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
>> What do those registry values do and can I stop the constant access?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>
>> -
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
>> -
>
> 

0
glee
3/15/2010 2:53:28 AM
glee wrote:

>
> What a useless and idiotic response....or are you trying to make sure 
> the poster does not have updates installed so he can more easily 
> become infected?  Unpatched systems are the easiest target.

Show me the evidence?  I can show you ample evidence to suggest that 
patches are crippling people's systems!  this evidence is there for 
everybody to see on Microsoft newsgroups!

hth

0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 3:00:28 AM
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:00:28 +0000, LD55ZRA <LD55ZRA@MAIL.COM> wrote:

> glee wrote:
> 
> >
> > What a useless and idiotic response....or are you trying to make sure 
> > the poster does not have updates installed so he can more easily 
> > become infected?  Unpatched systems are the easiest target.
> 
> Show me the evidence?  I can show you ample evidence to suggest that 
> patches are crippling people's systems!  this evidence is there for 
> everybody to see on Microsoft newsgroups!


The mark of a troll--continually changing the name and e-mail you post
under to escape people's kill files.

But no big deal. I can killfile you again even more quickly than you
can change how you post.


-- 
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
3/15/2010 3:40:33 AM
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message 
news:nuarp5t5bnr2auu324cubqt78grbta72js@4ax.com...

> But no big deal. I can killfile you again even more quickly than you
> can change how you post.

Ah but you failed the test this time!  The proof is there for everybody to 
see.  I am trying my level best to stop my messages reaching you but for 
some reasons you get them before I can stop them.  You are a cleaver little 
pig it seems.

hth


0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 4:21:53 AM
"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA@MAIL.COM> wrote in message 
news:hnk7se$egi$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> glee wrote:
>
>>
>> What a useless and idiotic response....or are you trying to make sure 
>> the poster does not have updates installed so he can more easily 
>> become infected?  Unpatched systems are the easiest target.
>
> Show me the evidence?  I can show you ample evidence to suggest that 
> patches are crippling people's systems!  this evidence is there for 
> everybody to see on Microsoft newsgroups!

No, you can't.
So long! 

0
glee
3/15/2010 4:49:32 AM
"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message 
news:OwQ7pr$wKHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> No, you can't.
> So long!

Did I ask you anything?



0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 5:11:11 AM
"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message 
news:OwQ7pr$wKHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> No, you can't.
> So long!

Did I ask you anything?



0
LD55ZRA
3/15/2010 5:11:11 AM
In news:hnjfmp$6f4$1@speranza.aioe.org,
LD55ZRA <LD55ZRA@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on
> the HDD so this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is
> very old then it too will show such symptoms due to wear
> and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft monthly patches are the
> biggest cause of such things because your old files are
> replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of
> Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your
> system secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch
> off Automatic Updates immediately because these patches are
> the cause of serious problems to people's computers.

YOU are the cause of problems with people's computers. I don't recall ever 
having a problem attributable to an update although I'm sure a few have been 
thought to have happened. Your myopic view is hurting you.

>
> hth
>
> "Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message
> news:ejdqp5pmd890qpr149an95btq03nf5jtmr@4ax.com...
>> Hi all,
>> Despite keeping a lean, mean and clean XP install, the HDD
>> light on my PC briefly flashes once per second, all of the
>> time. Being slightly bothered by this activity, I ran process
>> monitor and traced it down to the registry access shown in
>> the screenshot below. Process monitor doesn't show any
>> hard drive access that coincides with the light flashing,
>> so my questions are: Why is the light flashing for non HDD activity?
>> What do those registry values do and can I stop the
>> constant access? TIA
>>
>>
>> -
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
>> -



-- 
-- 
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue. 

0
Twayne
3/15/2010 5:36:30 PM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:34:17 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Set it to Stop not Manual
>
>-- 
>Peter
>
>Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
>
>"Steve Evans" <look@my.sig> wrote in message 
>news:fs5rp5htcb6mhfn9vtibrirp4egp45tgd7@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:35:01 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Go into Services and stop the Indexing Service and see if that is the cause. Post
>>>back with result
>>
>> Indexing service was set to manual a long time ago and isn't running
>> at the moment, so it isn't that.
>>
>> Here's the services that are running after a reboot.
>> http://www.steveevans.org/photos/services.jpg


Stopped and disabled. The HD light flashing continues......


-
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
-
0
Steve
3/15/2010 8:21:11 PM
On 3/15/2010 3:21 PM, Steve Evans wrote:
>>>> Go into Services and stop the Indexing Service and see if that is the cause. Post
>>>> back with result
>>>
>>> Indexing service was set to manual a long time ago and isn't running
>>> at the moment, so it isn't that.
>>>
>>> Here's the services that are running after a reboot.
>>> http://www.steveevans.org/photos/services.jpg
>
>
> Stopped and disabled. The HD light flashing continues......
>
>
> -
> steve<AT>  steveevans<DOT>  org
> -

So what does the processes tab in the task manager show?
You should install Spybot S&D and enable teatimer, it will ask you for 
permission for all registry changes before they are made and then you 
will know what is accessing the registry.
0
The
3/15/2010 9:27:17 PM
LD55ZRA wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>
>> LD55ZRA wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Windows have the tendency to keep indexing your files on the HDD so
>>> this could be the cause.  Also, if your disk is very old then it too
>>> will show such symptoms due to wear and tear of your HDD.  Microsoft
>>> monthly patches are the biggest cause of such things because your
>>> old files are replaced with the new ones because Steve Ballmer of
>>> Microsoft thinks these files with new dates will keep your system
>>> secure!.  This is balderdash and one should switch off Automatic
>>> Updates immediately because these patches are the cause of serious
>>> problems to people's computers.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Steve Balmer is the CEO of one of the largest companies in America.
>> That company has more CASH in the mattress than the total public
>> debt of California.
>>
>>
>>
> Are you sure about it?  How did that company make all that money?

Through a willing exchange of cash for product.

> Or
> what exactly is your point here?

That I'm tempted to take a successful company's - and it's CEO's - 
evaluation over yours. I can, however, be persuaded differently if your c.v. 
demonstrates compelling characteristics.

> Are you suggesting that piracy on a
> grand scale does pay if this article is anything to go by:
>
> http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176223.asp

Oh, poo! The judgment after appeal is a piddly $240 million. Microsoft has 
that much in the coffee shop till.

>
> Please clarify!!!  Or just forget it if you have no solution to OP's
> query.

I wasn't responding to the OP; I was responding to those who maliciously 
slander a successful enterprise. 


0
HeyBub
3/15/2010 9:52:08 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

constant trouble
i am having real difficulty with office publisher, it wont open the wizard saying it is missing a pro11.msi file . Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot james Open help, click detect and repair What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "James" <fatistuta2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1b95101c44ff7$6f6b5cc0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > i am having real difficulty with office publisher, it > wont open the wizard saying it is missing a pro11.msi > file . Any h...

MS Access encountered an error ....
Hello, I can no longer use access. XP SP2 french, Office 2003 pro SP3 (access 11.8204.8172 SP3) I open the MDB file, this is OK. I can edit table columns too. But as soon as I try to edit data, this is wrong. The edit data window open, I have the navigation bar bottom and scroll bar. But the working space of the window is white. There is then some blinkings/display quirks in Access toolbar, and then I have the crash "Microsoft Office Access has encountered ..." AppName msaccess.exe ModName msaccess.exe. This also happens when I try to create a new database. I have remo...

Access 2003 to Access 2000 or XP
I need some help urgently! I have done a database for a client in Access 2003; he now tells me that he has either XP or 2000 - he's not sure which!!! How do I convert it to either of these formats? I have tried opening the database in Xp and 2000 and they will not open. Thanks If you want to be backwards compatible you can't use the newer features. What feature in A2003 did you use that was nor present in A2000 or 2002? The file format must also be compatible - which is why it defaults to A2000 format. Did you change it? Why can't you convert to A200 format, and then open in...

Defining Registry Setting Automatically
I am creating an application and was wondering how you can define the registry settings for the hooks automatically when the application is loaded. For example - increasing the hook count by 1 and using the value to set my hooks for my application TIA John "John" <John@microsoft.discussions.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:uwsZYMYqFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I am creating an application and was wondering how you can define the >registry settings for the hooks automatically when the application is >loaded. > For example - increasing the hook count...

Outlook Web Access for dummies?
We have just finished configuring a FE - BE configuration on our Exchange 2003 - Windows 2003 server... Very cool! Here is my question: Is there a way that I can set up IIS so that the user does not need to type the /EXCHANGE in our url (https://webmail.ourdomain.net/exchange) in order to login to OWA? Remembering to type HTTPS is about all some of our users can be expected to remember. :-) There is no other web site at this URL or on the FE server. I am sure I can probably do it in IIS if I knew how... Any input would be appreciated by this OWA challenged, admin. TIA... If you also want...

Conversion of MySQL to Access Through ODBC Not retaining autonumber
Trying to convert a mysql database into access for a client, and some problems arise by selecting get external data -> import from ODBC connection IE: The database structure and data is imported fine, but the columns which should be Autonumber shift to Numeric and Access is unable to change a column to autonumber after data has been put in it Is there any way to 'force' convert a numeric column to an autonumber.. i could repopulate the rest of the data and let the autonumber column fill itself in.. but the problem is that the values in the autonum column are referred to in other...

Accessing other's e-mail accounts in Exchange 2003
I have 2 basic questions for Exchange 2003 and I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The message is long as I have to explain the scenarios. :) 1. We have some e-mail accounts that are no longer used (e.g. old employees, etc.) that we need to access. I can certainly access the with the user's credentials. Is there a way to access someone's mailbox as an "Administrator" instead of as the user? For example, can Administrator access John Doe's mailbox using Administrator's credentials? This is of course assuming the Administrator has permissions to do. If s...

Accessing Version Info
Does my MFC application have access to its own VS_VERSION_INFO resource, or does it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any other file? Yes, it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any other file. Victor "AVee" <AVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AF2DAB7-3ABE-4804-AF07-BA7846BB988C@microsoft.com... > Does my MFC application have access to its own VS_VERSION_INFO resource, > or > does it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any > other > file? I just use GetFileV...

Access 2003 DB to Access 2007 DB Issue
It ran fine under MS Access 2003, but now I’m using MS Access 2007 and I’m having a bit of a problem getting it to initially load. When I launch Access and select the acronym database (db1.mdb), I’m getting the following error message: “Your Microsoft Office Access database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file ‘dao2535.tlb’ version 3.5. * To ensure that your database or project works properly, you must fix this reference.” At the bottom of that error message window, there is a “Show Help” button, and an “OK” button. “Show Help” provides me little h...

Rearrange data in a column, Access 2003
I have a column that is for Page Numbers, and this particular table contains a letter in addition to the page number. Here are examples: 1A 3A 10A 1B 13B I would like to do 2 things: I would like to move the letter to the front formatted as "A- " and I would like to make one-digit numbers 2-digits so they will sort in the proper order. These letters are meaningful to the users. I would like to end up with: A- 01 A- 03 A-10 B- 01 B- 13 Can I do this? I've tried a few things that I found in other questions, but have not been able to get it to work. I assume I would use ...

accessing email.
I have windows live messenger and I have a problem with accessing my hotmail through it. When i right click on the messenger icon and select "email inbox" nothing happens. When i first installed Windows live i was using google chrome when i un-installed chrome and went back to explorer i could no longer access email through messenger. i had to actually launch explorer and go msn hotmail then log in. is there a way around this? Greetings Charlie, There's lots of reasons this could be broken. To see what's going on and a possible workaround/fix, run my ...

constants
How to you keep a number constant in a formula on the next cell? Example: Formula on line A5 =sum(A1*20) and I want the 20 to remain the same in the formula on the next cell. Thanks! Hi try =$A$1*20 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:68E23F17-70D6-45F0-AE23-536E49E78D67@microsoft.com... > How to you keep a number constant in a formula on the next cell? > > Example: > Formula on line A5 > =sum(A1*20) > and I want the 20 to remain the same in the formula on the next cell. &...

OWA, access meeting labels
Hello: We are looking for a way to modify meeting labels (the color of the meeting entry in the Outlook Calendar) in Outlook Web Access. We have been looking around for 3rd party products that may support this, but so far we have not found anything. Does anybody know of any products, that will give users access to the "label" attribute for meetings in Outlook Web Access? Thanks in advance.... -- Chris If you're adventurous, you can pretty much modify whatever you like through the CSS files somewhere under the exchweb/ directory. If you have E2K3, you might find them under P...

How the heck do I find tables, views, forms etc... in Access 2007
Can Access 2007 navigation be any more convoluted? I've been spending close to an hour trying to find a single table, query form, etc... now that the navigation has been changed. Is there a way to get the old style back? It does take some time - more than an hour :-) - to become familiar with the new interface in A2007 (NavPane, ribbon, ...) Suggestions: - The title bar at the top of the Nav Pane includes a tick box for: All Access Objects - Set Category to: Object Type - The categories (Tables, Queries, ...) collapse. - Show and use the Search Bar. It filters objects as...

Great Plains Access
No network clients are able to access Business Portal after doing an iisreset. The error is Server Error /n/ Application. Unable to access datasource. I can only open it on the server. Once it has been accessed from the server it will allow others to connect. Any ideas? ...

can i use office 2000 on windows XP and what is the pricing of 20.
Hi Sherree. (1) Yes (2) Check Ebay, perhaps. --- Regards, Norman "Sherree" <Sherree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AC7EC94-F748-4014-BED0-D87DA24DDF74@microsoft.com... > thanks, youve been very helpful "Norman Jones" wrote: > Hi Sherree. > > (1) Yes > > (2) Check Ebay, perhaps. > > --- > Regards, > Norman > > > > "Sherree" <Sherree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:3AC7EC94-F748-4014-BED0-D87DA24DDF74@microsoft.com... > > > > > ...

Change way attachments show up in XP Office
In Office XP Pro, my attachments, both received and sent, are now showing up just under the "Subject" box as file names. I want to change attachments back so that they appear as an icon down below the body of the message as they did in previous versions of OutLook. Any suggestions are most welcome. If you have a solution, please email me at: rweeks@cableone.net anytime. Thanks It all depends on your message format. HTML puts the attachment in the header. Rich Text puts it in the body. Plain Text puts it below the message body in a separate window. --� Milly Staples [MV...

Registry Cleaners Affecting the Ability to Boot
I am in the same camp as most regulars here who wouldn't advise someone to use a registry cleaner in order to boost a PC's overall performance/speed. No one has ever been able to provide solid evidence to back up such a claim. That being said, whenever I caution people not to use these programs, I normally add that sometimes these cleaners have been known to cause a situation where the PC becomes unbootable. I seem to remember reading a number of posts in these XP newsgroups from people who have reported this behavior. But now I wonder. (Memories often are not relia...

Get External Access data
Hello, I am using Office 2007 on XP SP2. I am trying to get external Access data from a database. When I do a window comes up with Access Tables and Queries (referred to in the window as View) in it. However, not all the queries are listed. What determines whether a query is listed or not? There is one I need that is not listed. Bob Not sure about 2007, but prior versions worked like this: Generally, queries are of 2 types: "Action" queries and Select queries Action queries are those that change data: Update, Append, Delete, MakeTable, etc. These do not "...

denying access to certain Public Folders Ex 2003 Win2003
Help, I need a way to deny access to certain public folders for some groups and allow for others. for example department A has access to marketing PF but not merchandising and visa versa, these users would not be able to create top level PF's but would be able to create lower level ones, my head is exploding "tom howarth" <tom.howarth@thinstore.net> wrote: >I need a way to deny access to certain public folders for >some groups and allow for others. Okay. Then grant/deny permission to the group. >for example department A >has access to marketing PF b...

Outlook 2003 upgrade killed the Office XP office asst.
After a recent upgrade from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003 on a WinXP Pro system, the office asst. stopped working in other Office applications (OfficeXP Pro). I assume this is due to the Version 10 verses Version 11 folders in the office directory. How can I make the office assistant work again in office XP for the user. By the way, the user is NOT a administrator to the box. If I log on everything seems to work fine, I believe it has to be a permissions issue but where can I fix the permissions for this issue? ...

Dataease to Access
Can anybody please advise me as to how I can transfer a Dataease database to Microsoft Access 2000? I read that you can change the Dataease format to Lotus 123, which Access will be able to import, but I'm afraid that I'm a bit fuzzy on this transformation. If anyone can give me an idiots guide, step by step, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you Trish Thanks Peter, My new problem, is that the Dataease seems to be a Front End - if thats possible! I can't get into the workings of it i.e. with Access, if you hold shift while opening a Database, you can gain access to the t...

Access 2007 SP1
After installation of SP1, the size of database is not reduced by compact function in Access. is it bug? Thanks. Tony "Tony WONG" <x34@netvigator.com> wrote: >After installation of SP1, the size of database is not reduced by compact >function in Access. > >is it bug? Thanks. No, I wouldn't expect a Service Pack to reduce the size of an MDB after compacting. Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting ...

What has been apparent among all of the Bvlgari Company's watches is its amazing ability to constantly be ahead of its time. It constantly is producing timepieces that are amazing designing and new
What has been apparent among all of the Bvlgari Company's watches is its amazing ability to constantly be ahead of its time. It constantly is producing timepieces that are amazing designing and new features that no other watch company has displayed. And because of this, it has stayed in the light of the public and is growing every year in popularity. at$B!'(Bsalereplicawatch.com Today, Bulgari Time in Neuchatel, Switzerland has a staff of around 500. It is one of the only companies in the world that is capable of providing assembly and its own production as well. Because of its car...

Access querry
How do I tell the querry that my criteria is in the value of a global verable On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:06:02 -0800, Belcredit <Belcredit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I tell the querry that my criteria is in the value of a global verable You can't, as stated. The JET database engine has no knowledge of VBA constants or variables. You'll need to create a dumb little function, GetVal, like Public Function GetVal() GetVal = glbMyGlobalVariable End Function and use =GetVal() as the criterion in your query. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...