concatenate files...

Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party
tool.  Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7?  TIA, Paul

0
Paul

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party
>tool.  Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7?  TIA, Paul

Yes, the same way you did before:

copy file1.txt + file2.txt  fileboth.txt

Type

copy /?

at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
Paul H wrote:
> Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third
> party tool.  Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7?  TIA, Paul

At the Command Prompt with the Copy command:

copy file1+file2+file3 newfile.txt

John
0
John
4/7/2010 4:23:58 PM

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Paul H wrote:
>> Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third
>> party tool.  Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7?  TIA, Paul
>
> At the Command Prompt with the Copy command:
>
> copy file1+file2+file3 newfile.txt
>
> John

This works fine for text file (as your example suggests) but for binary
files the /b switch is required:

copy /b file1+file2+file3 newfile.bin

0
Pegasus

save excel file formatted as f12.3
I have an excel file with 14 columns. I want to save this as a text file with all columns 12 characters wide and those columns which are numeric to 3 decimal places. All other columns if empty should contain 12 spaces. Columns which contains alphas should be left justified; colmns containing numerics should be right justified. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Chris I'd use 15 helper columns. Say your data is in A1:Nxxx I'd put this formula in O1: =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),TEXT(A1,"00000000.000"),LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",12),12)) And drag to cell AB1. Then in th...

Lost files #2
The motherboard on my system was fried and I had to replace it. The harddrive was intact and it is used as a slave. I never archived Outlook emails and need to recover them. I have searched high and low on the old drive to no avail. I'm sure I could cut and paste the file if I knew where to look. Can anyone please help me. My new mailbox is clean so I'm not worried about replacing anything. Thanks, Greg Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Repl...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...

Rules Wizard with large files
I setup the Rules Wizard to move certain files from my INBOX to another folder. It works great with files that are 0 Kilobytes to approximately 50 Kilobytes. But when the file size is approximately 300 Kilobytes to 500 Kilobytes, the files stay in the INBOX. I setup a rule that looks for a specific sender and a keyword in the body of the email. Is there a size limit for Rules that look for specific words in the body of the email? Chuck ...

When concatenating concatenates don't concatenate...
Hi List, Can anyone help? When concatenating already-concatenated cells, th result displays perfectly well in the Excel spreadsheet, but truncate when the cell is pasted into a .txt file. It doesn't seem to be due t Data Validation limits (having said that, selecting the entir worksheet and doing Alt > Data > Validation > Validation criteria Allow = Any value" did seem to solve the problem once, but only to com back next time round). The truncation occurs sometimes after 8 or 1 chars, and sometimes after 20 or so, always at the same spot. If I cop the cell into a fresh Excel...

Transfering Outlook Files
I'm trying to transfer Outlook files from one computer to another I did it successfully exporting as a personal.pst file from Outlook 2000>2000 but since I've upgraded one computer to Office XP and the other is still Office 2000 I can't upload the files exported from XP to 2000. After I export the files as a pst, I get an message that says "Can't copy file; parameter is incorrect" when it tries to upload on the other computer. Anyone one help or know what should be the best format file to export the information to and from. Thanks All versions of Outlook...

Trouble importing backed up files into Money 2005???
My system crashed a couple weeks ago and I'm trying to load my Money 2005 files that I backed up prior to the crash. The system I am trying to use was running an older version of Money, but I upgraded to Money 2005 so it would be easier to import the Money 2005 files. So now the system I'm trying to import this data back into and the system I was able to back up from were/is using the same Money 2005 version. I've tried to import the data back into Money 2005 two ways (as I'm no expert to this stuff) and haven't been able to accomplish this. 1.) I tried to use the i...

How to delete most recently used file list
Can someone please tell me how to delete a file from the most recently used file list in Money 2003? The file is already physically deleted so I don't want it in the listing. I am talking about the "File" pull- down list. Thanks!! On Feb 6, 3:50=A0pm, bajpd <ba...@peak.org> wrote: > Can someone please tell me how to delete a file from the most recently > used file list in Money 2003? =A0The file is already physically deleted > so I don't want it in the listing. I am talking about the "File" pull- > down list. Thanks!! Nevermind, i figu...

Convert .pdf file to a workable excel file?
I have an excel file that was revised and sent back to me as a pdf file in adobe...How can I save it as an excel file so that I can use it? Hi very diffcult and it would involve a lot of manual work. So best to ask for an original XLS file -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "exceller" <exceller@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4B702772-CA27-491F-A512-324CAC3A4B39@microsoft.com... > I have an excel file that was revised and sent back to me as a pdf file in > adobe...How can I save it as an excel file so that I can use it? ...

Concatenate function
Hi, How can I concatenate these 2 cells: one is time and the other is text: 9:00 and AM and I want the result to be 9:00 AM =CONCATENATE(AD2, " ", AE2) I have tried different formating cells but it doesn't work, this is what I get: 0.375 AM Thanks for your help. NSNR - You must format the time (which is a number) to text: =TEXT(AD2,"H:MM") & " " & AE2 -- Daryl S "NSNR" wrote: > Hi, > How can I concatenate these 2 cells: one is time and the other is text: 9:00 > and AM and I want the result to be ...

File Formate
I have five Excel files which contain the records of my previous 4 years Business matters. Suddenly yesterday when I opned one of my files I received the following messege. --------------------------------------- The file is not in recognizable formate. if you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Excel, click Cancel, then open the file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the file is damaged, click help for more information about...

Preprocessor symbols ignored in .RC file
(I posted this question in another group that is related to resource talk, but there's SO little activity I had to post it here too. Sorry to those who might be annoyed by that.) Hi, I am trying to set up the version info so that the exe file has different info in the version fields, depending on one of my preprocessor values. I created a configuration that has the string _W98 in the Configuration Properties C/C++ Preprocessor tab. Then I tried using the following inside the .rc file -------------------------- #ifdef _W98 VALUE "FileVersion", "0.74 W98" ...

Sending a publisher file as an email attachment
When sending a publisher file as an email attachment and is opened, it does not look like the original. Any suggestions why and how to fix it? Thanks El wrote: > When sending a publisher file as an email attachment and is opened, it does > not look like the original. Any suggestions why and how to fix it? Thanks Different fonts are installed on different computers. Create a PDF and send that instead. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Ed, Its not just the fonts, words are added, hyphens are added, and graphics are upside down. Any other thoughts? &quo...

exchange 5.5 export to csv file with smtp addresses
anyone help me export exchnge 5.5 to a csv file. Ive used admin /e parameters which i can get to export email addresses but they have everything in one field like SMTP:user@domain.com%FAX:user@faxmaker%x400=.........etc I have used a facility to remove the % and replace with a comma (,) but the addresses when opened in excel are not all in the same order. Some will appear like SMTP, FAX, X400 and some will be SMTP, X400, FAX or X400, FAX SMTP. This does not help if they are inconsistent. Does anyone have a script/program that just produces the STMP parts in a CSV format which will includ...

Attach file to draft message
Hello, I just switched from OE6 to Outlook 2007. In OE6 one could attach a file to a draft message. I do not see that option in Outlook. It appears one can only attach a file to a NEW message. Can someone tell me how I might attach a file to a draft message? Bob To Outlook, all unsent messages work the same, whether they are drafts = or completely new messages (or replies or forwards). The Attach File = command should be available in the Include group on the Message tab of = the ribbon, as well as on the Insert tab. =20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Micro...

Excel file recovery
I have an important Excel file on floppy disk which has become corrupted. How can I recover as much of the data as possible? The file tries to load - bar moving on bottom left of screen - but fails to load anything. I have tried ExcelRecovery 3.0 Demo which can retrieve the data but as it is a demo, does not show the data (it overwrites cells with "demo"). The alternative of sending the file to a file fix service does not appeal as it is personal data. Can I find a "free" Excel file recovery program anywhere, or can I "edit" the file myself so that it can be o...

Path for file
I am trying to show the entire path for a file in a footer but have had a difficult time finding information on this in the help file. Normally it will show &[file] which only will show the filename. Unfortunately I don't have my Excel Book with me right now. Can you help? Hi troy http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip22.htm See John's tip on this for Excel 97-2000 Excel 2002/2003 have this option build in -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:864a0...

how to change directory for .pst file for outlook 2003
Hello I have Outlook 2003. How can I point Outlook to find the .pst file at some location other then the default one. I can do this with Outlook 2000 by just locating the file where I want it. The next time I bring up Outlook, it allows you to browse the file when it can't find it anymore. Outlook 2003 does not do this. It looks for the file in the default location, and then shuts down when it can't find it there Appreciate any suggestions K With Outlook closed, got to "Control Panel" then double click on "Mail". At the "Mail Setup" dialogue,...

Concatenating Cells
I have spent hours this afternoon in Excel 2003 trying to concatenate two adjacent text columns into a third column defined as Text format. It doesn't work, the result cell just displays the formula you enter {e.g. =A1&B1 or =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)}. I discovered after a great deal of frustration that this will only work if the cell containing the formula is formatted as '*General'*. All the MS command help refers to the data being concatenated as 'text' data as does the command help that displays as you type. I found no help on this on the MS site and trawling the w...

Disable password protection on .pst files
Just wondering if there is a registry key change or something I can do using the orktools that will prevent users from applying passwords to their .pst files. This is at the request of our legal department who is concerned that users may leave and their case files and such are now inaccessible to everyone. Thanks! Mary Patricia <rodgers.patricia@> wrote: > Just wondering if there is a registry key change or something I can > do using the orktools that will prevent users from applying passwords > to their .pst files. This is at the request of our legal department > who is ...

Why has file size jumped in an Excel workbook?
I have an excel workbook that started as 148kB and is now 2.6MB, but the size increase is for no apparent reason, I'm not aware of doing anything other than forwarding it by email to a colleague. When I check one of the sheets it shows the last cell to be at row 27364 even though there is nothing beyond row 26, but I can't seem to clear the range. There are no spurious characters that I can see, what have I done? I had this happen when I accidentally applied a format change to the entire worksheet. Try selecting the entire worksheet, select edit/clear.../formats. Good luck,...

import .QIF-file with category information
I'm trying to import a QIF-file with transaction-information. The import completes succesfully, but I cannot find any category information. Does anyone knows a solution ? Regards, Arthur ...

Unable to send 5MB Powerpoint File!!!
I'm working with Outlook 2002 SP-1. Can somebody help me with this! What error do you get in return? Contact your administrator or ISP to ask whether there is an attachment file size limit. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscor...

IF and Concatenate
Hi I have a following chart which list out delivery dates arcross the top with items and units on the body of the chart (dashes are spaces) On the right column is the results that I need. What kind of formula can I use to return such results? I thought that I can use IF and Concatenate formula (IF, ordered units, then seek out date....). Not even sure I can use IF, since in my real chart, I have more than 20+ dates going across. Any help would be much appreciated! Style---7/30---8/13----8/14----8/15---8/17--------Wanted-Result 66106-------------------------------9--------5--------9 DUE ...

Publisher File locked
Running a small 12 user network, using Publisher 2002 on XP Pro PC's, 2003 Server. When trying to open a shared publisher document, the first user is succesful the others fail with a message saying that the file is locked by another program. The only way round this at the moment is to save the file as a Web Page and then everyone can open it and then save as a publisher file in thier own folders. Would have expected Publisher to act in the same way as Word, which gives you the option to open the file as 'Read Only' The publisher documents, and all other user files, are hel...