Chasing Windows

Would anyone know of a way to keep new pages from stealing the active page
upon opening? It is terriably frustrating to have to keep chasing the active
page as new pages open. I'm running XP on an ACER and our systems tend to be
slow because of our hardware combinations. It is not unsual for me to be
working in one docu and decide I need info from another docu or docus or web
site, go start those pages opening and go back to my active page, all without
loosing my train of thought - until the other pages finally start opening and
stealing my active page. After I have chased my active page and brought it
back a couple times it is not unsual for me to have lost my train of thought.
As if that isn't bad enough, reopening my active page is not simply clicking
its icon on the toolbar. Even though my active page's icon is still lit up on
the tool bar, the new page has replaced my active page and is open on the
screen. To get back to my active page I must first click and open some other
page then click back to my active page. It is a long, drawn out, train of
thought busting process. Perhaps it would be smarter to simply start the new
openings and go get a cup of coffee, but that is about as antiproductive as
chasing my active page all over the place. Everything would be so much less
complicated (and a whole bunch less frustrating) if opening pages simply did
not steal the active page. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks K.

On 1/12/2010 8:34 AM On a whim, K pounded out on the keyboard

> Would anyone know of a way to keep new pages from stealing the active page
> upon opening? It is terriably frustrating to have to keep chasing the active
> page as new pages open. I'm running XP on an ACER and our systems tend to be
> slow because of our hardware combinations. It is not unsual for me to be
> working in one docu and decide I need info from another docu or docus or web
> site, go start those pages opening and go back to my active page, all without
> loosing my train of thought - until the other pages finally start opening and
> stealing my active page. After I have chased my active page and brought it
> back a couple times it is not unsual for me to have lost my train of thought.
> As if that isn't bad enough, reopening my active page is not simply clicking
> its icon on the toolbar. Even though my active page's icon is still lit up on
> the tool bar, the new page has replaced my active page and is open on the
> screen. To get back to my active page I must first click and open some other
> page then click back to my active page. It is a long, drawn out, train of
> thought busting process. Perhaps it would be smarter to simply start the new
> openings and go get a cup of coffee, but that is about as antiproductive as
> chasing my active page all over the place. Everything would be so much less
> complicated (and a whole bunch less frustrating) if opening pages simply did
> not steal the active page. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks K.

Are you talking about a browser?  If so, which browser?  In Firefox,
Tools, Options, Tabs, check "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to
it immediately". I also use the Tab Mix Plus extension and it has a "Tab
Focus" tab so you can select how you want the focus of opened tabs.

But if you're not talking about just a browser, how about Alt-Tab?

Terry R.
Terry
1/12/2010 6:52:45 PM
In news:3FF676DA-DDAF-433C-915D-9834A34DD179@microsoft.com,
K <K@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Would anyone know of a way to keep new pages from stealing the active
> page upon opening? It is terriably frustrating to have to keep
> chasing the active page as new pages open. I'm running XP on an ACER
> and our systems tend to be slow because of our hardware combinations.
> It is not unsual for me to be working in one docu and decide I need
> info from another docu or docus or web site, go start those pages
> opening and go back to my active page, all without loosing my train
> of thought - until the other pages finally start opening and stealing
> my active page. After I have chased my active page and brought it
> back a couple times it is not unsual for me to have lost my train of
> thought. As if that isn't bad enough, reopening my active page is not
> simply clicking its icon on the toolbar. Even though my active page's
> icon is still lit up on the tool bar, the new page has replaced my
> active page and is open on the screen. To get back to my active page
> I must first click and open some other page then click back to my
> active page. It is a long, drawn out, train of thought busting
> process. Perhaps it would be smarter to simply start the new openings
> and go get a cup of coffee, but that is about as antiproductive as
> chasing my active page all over the place. Everything would be so
> much less complicated (and a whole bunch less frustrating) if opening
> pages simply did not steal the active page. All ideas, comments, and
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks K.

Try ALT-TAB or* right* click an open area on the TaskBar and choose to
either Cascade or Arrange vertically or horizontally from the choices. Then
you can click directly on the window you want and/or move things around at
will.
   As for stealing focus, I'm afraid there isn't much to be done about that;
when you open a program it assumes you want to work in that program, so puts
the focus there. Don't start the program until you need it.
   OR, and this is the one I use: turn on the TaskBar menu (again, right
click an open area on the taskbar and select it), then Toolbars; Desktop.
Then you'll get a popup menu of your entire desktop without having to expose
it in your taskbar then.

Also, IE8 has a neat feature: it'll show you all the places you're recently
visited, arranged on the screen and you can choose the one you want.

If that doesn't cover it, then you'll have to be more precise with your
question as it's a tad vague for a specific answer.

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne

Chase Bank not in the list
Hi. I just installed money2004 Delx editioin. I try to add "Chase Freedom Credit Card " and "Chase Manhattan Credit Cards" to my acccout list. However, MS Money do not have these two credit card listed in the program. What should I do to set up these two credit card? Why MS money is missing "Chase" as one of the bank. I think Chase is a major bank in US. It's in as "JPMorgan Chase Bank" because of various mergers. Be forewarned, though: They used to charge for automated Money downloads over some ridiculously low number per month....

Excel 2003 Slowness problem in Windows XP
Dear expert, I wish to get your help to solve the problem happened in our organization. A group of users who are heavy user of Excel, complaint that after computer upgraded to Windows XP SP1 (Pentium 4, 256MB Ram) and Office 2003 STD SP1, excel file tend to be slower when the computer running Winnt, office 97. After study and find out not all the excel file opening are slow in their PC. These most frequently access excel files that causing slowness are either too many formula, macro enable or too many sheet. File side about 2MB-4MB. I have advised them to reduce number of sheet, form...

Is office 2003 compatible with windows 7 professional 32 bit?
Hi every body I was wondering whether office 2003 is compatible with windows 7 professional 32 bit or not? Cheers Al Yes Al wrote: > Hi every body > > I was wondering whether office 2003 is compatible with windows 7 > professional 32 bit or not? > > Cheers > Al Yes it is -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:179EE989-334A-41D5-9D5F-2247F6A8EB67@microsoft.com... &g...

How to know if a window is shown (not hidden)?
Hi, To know if a window is shown (i.e. not hidden), should I use SW_SHOWNORMAL like the code below, or SW_SHOW? Besides, do I also need to check SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED and SW_SHOWMINIMIZED too? WINDOWPLACEMENT placement; pWnd->GetWindowPlacement(&placement); if (placement.showCmd == SW_SHOWNORMAL) { ... } Thanks for any help. Regards. Tony Take a look at the IsWindowVisible() ( or CWnd::IsWindowVisible() MFC member function ) API. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "May Young" <tony@srac.com> wrote in messa...

AfxMessageBox problem in Windows 98?
I have this strange problem. I developed an application in Windows 2000 where you enter some data in a editbox and then press enter and if it is the wrong data a message box pops up with a message. This works fine in Windows 2000, but in Windows 98 the message box does not popup and there is no error reported. I have never had this problem before and the message boxes have always worked just fine when going from Windows 2000 to Windows 98. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Roger Show the line of code. My first guess would be some sort of style flag that is incompatible, ...

Fonts and Windows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am somewhat visually impaired and the windows/fonts are too small. I am new to Apple and the sizes of both are so small I may have to go back to a PC. Need help. Welcome to the Mac! Which Office program are you asking about? You can resize windows in any app by dragging the lower right hand corner. In Word, go to View | Zoom to enlarge the font size you see but still print it at a standard size for others to read, etc. You'll need to be more clear about what you want to do in Office to get more specific help....

Chasing Windows
Would anyone know of a way to keep new pages from stealing the active page upon opening? It is terriably frustrating to have to keep chasing the active page as new pages open. I'm running XP on an ACER and our systems tend to be slow because of our hardware combinations. It is not unsual for me to be working in one docu and decide I need info from another docu or docus or web site, go start those pages opening and go back to my active page, all without loosing my train of thought - until the other pages finally start opening and stealing my active page. After I have chased my...

parent window?
hi, Im trying to display bmp image using static control.I have created a pointer as cstatic stc; when i use stc.Create(NULL,SS_BITMAP,pos,?); what shall i give for the parent window of static control? i used getactivewindow(),but i was not able to display bmp when setbitmap(Hbmp) is used. thanks in advance susi ...

What is this window type ?
Hi there, I couldn't find any info on google about this because I don't even know how you call that type of window. It's pretty basic, I have my active window and I want to use a second window but still be able to use the first one. When I create a dialog using the DoModal() I can't give control back to my main window... Can someone maybe only point out the type of window it is so I can check some info on the net how to use them ? Thanks, Max. Maxime Savard wrote: > Hi there, > > I couldn't find any info on google about this because I don't ...

How to hide Disassembly Window?
I prefer to step through my source code, not the assemby code. Is there anyway to prevent it from popping up each time I hit F5? Thanks hi debugger shows the assembly code only when it unables to load the pdb files. If the debugger step into the system dlls, it dont have any way to load the pdb files, except u install the symbol files. make sure that all the symbol files(.dbg or .pdb files) available for the debugger naren "Mike Makuch" wrote: > I prefer to step through my source code, not the assemby code. > Is there anyway to prevent it from popping up each time I ...

Syncronizing Windows Live Mail with Windows Live Hotmail
One one computer, running XP and IE-8, I have a Windows Live Mail account. On another computer, running Windows 2000 and IE-6, I have a Windows Live Hotmail account. For some reason, when I try to syncronize my Live Mail account on the XP unit with the Hotmail server, I can't. I've eliminated almost all of the excess email records from the Live Hotmail account on the Win 2000 unit, with was a lot of them, but can't get the Windows Live account purged of these by using the syncronizing. Two questions: How do I sync these accounts? Which of these programs, Live Mail...

Pdf file on windows 7 mail
Pdf attached to emails are comming out scrambled. see example... begin 666 Invoice-2010-Feb-10 16.57.48.pdf M)5!$1BTQ+C0-)>+CS],-"C(@,"!O8FH-"CP\#2],96YG=&@@,C4Y-@TO3B S M#2]&:6QT97(@+T9L871E1&5C;V1E#2]!;'1E<FYA=&4@+T1E=FEC95)'0@T^ M/@US=')E86T-"GB<G99W5%/9%H?/O3>]4)(0BI30:VA2`D@-O4B1+BHQ"1!* MP) `(C9$5'!$49&F"#(HX("C0Y&Q(HJ%`5&QZP091-1Q<!0;EDEDK1G?O'GO MS9O?'_=^:Y^]S]UG[WW6N@"0_(,%PDQ8"8 ,H5@4X>?%B(V+9V '`0SP``-L M`.!PL[-"%OA&`ID"?-B,;)D3^!>]N@X@^?L...

CRM and ServicePack 1 for Windows 2003 server
who know anthing abot any problems with CRM after installation of this sp ? thanks there were a number of issues reported by people going up to server 2003 sp1 go to the archive of this group at groups.google.com and search for server 2003 sp1 "jag" <jag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:326EE9CB-A523-4635-BA7A-D3E1DE712023@microsoft.com... > who know anthing abot any problems with CRM after installation of this sp > ? > thanks ...

windows in taskbar and windows 2000
Hello, I am using excel 2003. And wondering about the options dialog windows in taskbar checkbox. I thought this would group all open excel documents in the taskbar, to one button (whatever you want to call it?) however it does not seem to do anything? is office 2003 relying on windoes xp to do this? and windows 2000 is out of luck? thanks I use win98 and xl2002 at home and win2k and xl2k at work. But if you're trying to get to have only one icon in the windows taskbar, make sure you leave that option "windows in taskbar" unchecked. It kind of sounded like you enabled th...

Windows 7
What experiences are you all seeing with GP 10, PDK, and FRx with Windows 7 32- bit? - Install issues? - Daily operations issues? Stories, gotchas? ******* We use GP 10.00.1400, PDK 10.00.27 and FRx 6.7.10343. Personally I have no problems. -- Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 mohdaoud@gmail.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "DavidM" <DavidM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EEADA25-E15E-49E9-80FF-F054E17B3133@microsoft.com... > What experiences are you all seeing with GP 10, PD...

play a wav in Excel 2000 under Windows XP
Hi, I tried to play a wav in Excel 2000 under Windows XP. I am using API playsound() and the code works fine in my PC + VB6 + Windows XP and in another PC + Excel 2000 + Windows 2000 However not works in my PC + Excel 2000 + Windows XP. Do you know why? Thank you in advance. ...

Auto-chase up?
I've had a quick hunt-around, and I can't find a Microsoft Outlook feature wish-list site. So I thought I'd post it here, you never know. I am sick of sending folk e-mails who don't get back to me. Therefore when I create a new e-mail I would like an option to request Outlook to notify me if the respondent hasn't replied within a specified time period. Anyone else out there think this would be useful? Chris I think both Sperry software and mapilab have addins that do it. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach You...

Reduced window with OE6?
I'm using OE 6 for ng reading. I've selected the Basic View layout, so I'm not using a preview pane. When I open a message, in a newsgroup, it always opens to a reduced window. I would like it to open to a maximized window, but I don't recognize the option in my toolbar selections. Any help? And Merry Christmas! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5....

Conflicts with Front page 2003 sp3 (Windows XP)
I made one change on one page. Went to publish and I found "Conflicts" on every page. They were "Unchanged" the last time I opened FP. Help does not address this. What would cause this to happen. How would I correct it? Any direction would be appreciated. -- BB Engel BB Engel wrote: >I made one change on one page. Went to publish and I found "Conflicts" on >every page. They were "Unchanged" the last time I opened FP. Help does not >address this. What would cause this to happen. How would I correct it? >Any direction would be...

Windows Live Signin
I have 2 windows live accounts that I use to seperate the contacts in the windows live mail. Is there any way to make one of these the default when I sign in to mail. It seems the last one used is picked up on a new signon. On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:33:03 -0700, Ed in DC wrote: > I have 2 windows live accounts that I use to seperate the contacts in the > windows live mail. Is there any way to make one of these the default when I > sign in to mail. It seems the last one used is picked up on a new signon. You don't have to "sign in" to Windows Live Mail. B...

unable to open properties window
The problem I've encountered is that the properties window does not open. For example, if I open a dialog, right click on an edit control and select "Properties", normally the properties window would open. Now, it no longer does. I use to be able to view the properties window - now I cannot. I tried to reset the windows layout by clicking on [Tools][Options][General][Reset Window Layout]. This does not work. I've deleted solution several files with the extension 'ncb', 'aps' and 'suo'. I've deleted the file 'devenv.xlm'. None of...

importing from windows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel how do i import my excel files from my old pc to new mac excel Shoe leather :-) Save them onto a USB stick and carry them over. Mac and PC use the same file format for Excel, so you do not need to (Must not!) do anything else. Put them in the correct folders within your Documents folder on the Mac. "Documents" on the Mac is the same thing as "My Documents" on the PC, that's where you should put all your work so your indexing, searching, and backup all work correctly. Che...

Constant Windows Installer pop-up windows
Pop-ups are evil. Online or off. I love Outlook 2003. It's fantastic. But for goodness' sake, how can I prevent/alleviate/mitigate/stop/kill/end the constant interruption of Windows Installer pop-up windows and ensuing system hangs that repeatedly launch (for no good reason)? Thanks. Jason Z jmwz@REMOVEhotmail.com P.S. I'm more interested in solving the problem than knowing about it, but if you do know of the "reasoning" of why this happens, do tell... :) Where are you seeing them/what are you doing at the time? Is Outlook/Office fully installed (complete in...

Launching file from Windows Exploer problem
I am always able to launch an excel file by double- clicking in the file name within Windows Explorer. But when I save an excel file as an HTML format, and keep the original .xls file, for some reason, when I double click on the .xls file, it will not launch Excel and open the file automatically. When I double click on the .html file, it does launch Internet Explorer and displays the file as expected. Any ideas why I can't get the .xls file to launch? ...

Keyboard does not start after Windows XP starts up
Hello! A computer had a really bad virus with lots of pop-ups. I performed a completed hard drive format and clean install of Windows XP Professional. When the computer boots up, the keyboard comes on and the computer goes to windows. The computer does not have a PS/2 port, only USB ports. The USB mouse works, the keyboard does not work. I have tried using a different keyboard, plugging the keyboard into different USB ports, including the port the mouse was using. Nothing. I tried logging into safe mode, nothing. I reset the board by pulling up the little pin and...