Changing default icons associated with .exe program files

Am using Windows XP SP3 and have the following two media players installed
in the Program Files folder:

1) Media Player Classic (mplayerc.exe)
2) Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc.exe)

Both of these .exe program files are being assigned the same default icon by
WinXP.

I would like to assign a different icon to say, mpc-hc.exe, such that it is
clearly identifiable in the right click context file menu such as Open
with...   At this time, both of these media players are being identified by
the same name i.e. "Media Player Classic" and the same default Win XP icon.
Is there a way within Win XP, without installing a 3rd party
free/share/adware utility, to reassign a different icon to it?

I have already been able to change the icons assigned to all shortcuts on
Desktop and Start Menu that point to these two media players and those are
looking and working rather cool.

With thanks,
Richard
Surrey, BC, Canada.

0
Richard

You can only do that using a shortcut.

ju.c

"Richard Roseweir" <richrose@telus.net> wrote in message news:#jHsngNxKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Am using Windows XP SP3 and have the following two media players installed
> in the Program Files folder:
>
> 1) Media Player Classic (mplayerc.exe)
> 2) Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc.exe)
>
> Both of these .exe program files are being assigned the same default icon by
> WinXP.
>
> I would like to assign a different icon to say, mpc-hc.exe, such that it is
> clearly identifiable in the right click context file menu such as Open
> with...   At this time, both of these media players are being identified by
> the same name i.e. "Media Player Classic" and the same default Win XP icon.
> Is there a way within Win XP, without installing a 3rd party
> free/share/adware utility, to reassign a different icon to it?
>
> I have already been able to change the icons assigned to all shortcuts on
> Desktop and Start Menu that point to these two media players and those are
> looking and working rather cool.
>
> With thanks,
> Richard
> Surrey, BC, Canada.

0
ju
3/16/2010 8:22:29 AM
Richard Roseweir wrote:
> Am using Windows XP SP3 and have the following two media players
> installed in the Program Files folder:
>
> 1) Media Player Classic (mplayerc.exe)
> 2) Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc.exe)
>
> Both of these .exe program files are being assigned the same default
> icon by WinXP.
>
> I would like to assign a different icon to say, mpc-hc.exe, such that
> it is clearly identifiable in the right click context file menu such
> as Open with...   At this time, both of these media players are being
> identified by the same name i.e. "Media Player Classic" and the same
> default Win XP icon. Is there a way within Win XP, without installing
> a 3rd party free/share/adware utility, to reassign a different icon
> to it?

No, not with XP, only with a resource editor.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
3/16/2010 11:07:30 AM
dadiOH wrote:
> Richard Roseweir wrote:
>> Am using Windows XP SP3 and have the following two media players
>> installed in the Program Files folder:
>>
>> 1) Media Player Classic (mplayerc.exe)
>> 2) Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc.exe)
>>
>> Both of these .exe program files are being assigned the same default
>> icon by WinXP.
>>
>> I would like to assign a different icon to say, mpc-hc.exe, such that
>> it is clearly identifiable in the right click context file menu such
>> as Open with...   At this time, both of these media players are being
>> identified by the same name i.e. "Media Player Classic" and the same
>> default Win XP icon. Is there a way within Win XP, without installing
>> a 3rd party free/share/adware utility, to reassign a different icon
>> to it?
>
> No, not with XP, only with a resource editor.

        - OR -

with a program such as Microangelo.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
3/16/2010 11:15:28 AM
Thank you for confirming my suspicions in respect of a 3rd party utility
program like Microangelo.  I will just live with the limitations of Win XP
for the meanwhile.

Richard,
Surrey, BC, Canada

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
> dadiOH wrote:
>
> No, not with XP, only with a resource editor.
>
>        - OR -
>
> with a program such as Microangelo.

0
Richard
3/16/2010 2:33:53 PM
You could try Icon Changer
http://www.shelllabs.com/change_exe_icon.htm

The free trial version can change no more than 3 icons and is limited to
finding a maximum of 3000 icons.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

> Thank you for confirming my suspicions in respect of a 3rd party
> utility program like Microangelo.  I will just live with the
> limitations of Win XP for the meanwhile.
>
> Richard,
> Surrey, BC, Canada
>
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> dadiOH wrote:
>>
>> No, not with XP, only with a resource editor.
>>
>>        - OR -
>>
>> with a program such as Microangelo.

0
glee

External data link change

Getting the Information out of the program
Is there a way to get all the information out of the item database and into a spreadsheet? I am trying to create a item catalog for some of our customers and instead of re-entering all the information that we have spent weeks and weeks putting into RMS, there has to be a way to get that out easily. Thanks for all your help There are so many ways you can get the information out of the database. Below are a few. 1. Run a report and click the Export button on the top of the report page, choose File and CSV Comma Delimited.**Easiest 2. Run a SQL Query from SO Admin and export from the Fil...

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Default Company at Login
What determines the default company that is displayed to the user at login? Is it simply alphabetical or is there somewhere to set as the default? i.e if we have 3 companies ABC-Company, 123_Company and All Other Company, Inc., can All Other Company, Inc. be forced as the default presented to the user? Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_70567BB1 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit If there is only 1 company in the list, the list will default to that company. If there is more than 1 company, nothing will default. You could do this trivially with Dexterity if you are o...

Why does the change change to a number?

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

File lockout update
Redmond, July 28, 2004, 23:15 PDT Here is the current status on the lockout issue. We are working to restore the original locks on these files. (See my earlier posting for a more detailed description.) It is our expectation that, when fixed, this will not require any downloads (or uploads), but the solution may require a connection to our web site. This was not caused by any download of Money software, and we don't think that a download will be necessary to fix it. We are not sure whether every user will be fixed automatically, or if some manual steps will need to be done. If there are ...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

HELP ME
What type of file is sent in the confirmation of received or read. Thank you, The responses use TNEF so they can be processed by your outlook. This creates a winmail.dat. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you use? http://forums.slipsti...

OWA as default web page
I have a front end server I'm using for OWA. I would like to configure IIS to default to the login prompt when the user hits the web server, without having to type "/exchange". For example: https://webserver.domain instead of https://webserver.domain/exchange Is there a way to configure this? Thanks The article below describes how to redirect the Default Web page to point to the Exchange virtual directory. 319878 XWEB: How to Make Outlook Web Access the Default Web Site http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319878 >-----Original Message----- >I have a front end server...

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Problem sending the command to the program
Just recently when trying to open an excel document the message of "problem sending the command to the program" pops up. Any solution? ...

some replies come from default account
Some email replies from me come from the address to which the email was sent and others come from my default address. For example if I reply to a message that came to kozmo@thisaddress.com, the reply comes from kozmo@defaultaddress.com. I can change it manually for each reply but that's a pain and if I forget to it's a problem. Not all messages behave this way. Some come from the correct "reply from" address. I can't figure out what the difference is for those that come from the correct address. I'm using OL2000 on XP, Internet Mail Only. Any ideas what'...