BlazeFind loop Recovery Console wrong drive letter

Hi:  When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C: drive.
When I installed XP or did a recovery, don't remember, my main drive changed
to F: Drive by itself.  I can't get the repair to work to get me out of the
log on loop to do a repair of USERINIT.  How can I change my choice to F:
Drive.  thanks...Gene

"Wolverine Gene" <Wolverine Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
news item news:F09C4180-85D0-469B-893E-9325B1AE21D5@microsoft.com...
> Hi:  When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C: drive.
> When I installed XP or did a recovery, don't remember, my main drive
> changed
> to F: Drive by itself.  I can't get the repair to work to get me out of
> the
> log on loop to do a repair of USERINIT.  How can I change my choice to F:
> Drive.  thanks...Gene

Do you have a problem while in Recovery Console mode or while in Normal
mode? Also - what is the recent history of this machine?

0
Pegasus
1/28/2010 6:54:34 AM

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "Wolverine Gene" <Wolverine Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
> news item news:F09C4180-85D0-469B-893E-9325B1AE21D5@microsoft.com...
> > Hi:  When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C: drive.
> > When I installed XP or did a recovery, don't remember, my main drive
> > changed
> > to F: Drive by itself.  I can't get the repair to work to get me out of
> > the
> > log on loop to do a repair of USERINIT.  How can I change my choice to F:
> > Drive.  thanks...Gene
>
> Do you have a problem while in Recovery Console mode or while in Normal
> mode? Also - what is the recent history of this machine?
> I go into Recovery Console mode without any problem.  I don't know what you mean by Normal mode.  I built this machine maybe 6 years ago and it preformed flawless until I got Netsky and Rootkit virus's plus whatever else in it.  After I ran Spybot, I got in the log on log off cycle
mode?

"Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news
item news:54FBC572-6052-4777-B4F2-2FC23CF2106E@microsoft.com...

> "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> "Wolverine Gene" <Wolverine Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
>> news item news:F09C4180-85D0-469B-893E-9325B1AE21D5@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi:  When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C:
>> > drive.
>> > When I installed XP or did a recovery, don't remember, my main drive
>> > changed
>> > to F: Drive by itself.  I can't get the repair to work to get me out of
>> > the
>> > log on loop to do a repair of USERINIT.  How can I change my choice to
>> > F:
>> > Drive.  thanks...Gene
>>
>> Do you have a problem while in Recovery Console mode or while in Normal
>> mode? Also - what is the recent history of this machine?
>> I go into Recovery Console mode without any problem.  I don't know what
>> you mean by Normal mode.  I built this machine maybe 6 years ago and it
>> preformed flawless until I got Netsky and Rootkit virus's plus whatever
>> else in it.  After I ran Spybot, I got in the log on log off cycle
> mode?

With "Normal Mode" I meant the way Windows normally boots up, i.e. not Safe
Mode and not Recovery Console.

To me an infected machine is a compromised machine. I never try to fix them
because I no longer trust them.

You can modify the System drive letter back to C: by booting up normally,
then running regedit.exe and renaming this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\F:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
If the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: already
exists then you can delete it safely.

Whether this will solve all of your problems is another question - see
above. Remember that virus scanners are here to keep viruses out. They
cannot possibly fix all the damage done by viruses.

0
Pegasus
1/28/2010 6:35:38 PM

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news
> item news:54FBC572-6052-4777-B4F2-2FC23CF2106E@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >> "Wolverine Gene" <Wolverine Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
> >> news item news:F09C4180-85D0-469B-893E-9325B1AE21D5@microsoft.com...
> >>
> >> Do you have a problem while in Recovery Console mode or while in Normal
> >> mode? Also - what is the recent history of this machine?
> >> I go into Recovery Console mode without any problem.  I don't know what
> >> you mean by Normal mode.  I built this machine maybe 6 years ago and it
> >> preformed flawless until I got Netsky and Rootkit virus's plus whatever
> >> else in it.  After I ran Spybot, I got in the log on log off cycle
> > mode?
>
> With "Normal Mode" I meant the way Windows normally boots up, i.e. not Safe
> Mode and not Recovery Console.
>
> To me an infected machine is a compromised machine. I never try to fix them
> because I no longer trust them.
>
> You can modify the System drive letter back to C: by booting up normally,
> then running regedit.exe and renaming this value:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\F:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
> If the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: already
> exists then you can delete it safely.
>
> Whether this will solve all of your problems is another question - see
> above. Remember that virus scanners are here to keep viruses out. They
> cannot possibly fix all the damage done by viruses.

I have no Normal Mode, all I get is a log on screen and then it instantly
goes to log out screen.  Can't even run safe mode.  I was just hoping to run
this crippled until I put in a new drive and a new reload.  You are 100%
right about fixing a compromised machine, they always have problems and never
run as fast as they should.  thanks for helping...Gene

"Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news
item news:8A0D5EB8-DD96-4823-99AA-6D0E1BE8F800@microsoft.com...

> "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> "Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
>> news
>> item news:54FBC572-6052-4777-B4F2-2FC23CF2106E@microsoft.com...

>> > mode?
>>
>> With "Normal Mode" I meant the way Windows normally boots up, i.e. not
>> Safe
>> Mode and not Recovery Console.
>>
>> To me an infected machine is a compromised machine. I never try to fix
>> them
>> because I no longer trust them.
>>
>> You can modify the System drive letter back to C: by booting up normally,
>> then running regedit.exe and renaming this value:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\F:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
>> If the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
>> already
>> exists then you can delete it safely.
>>
>> Whether this will solve all of your problems is another question - see
>> above. Remember that virus scanners are here to keep viruses out. They
>> cannot possibly fix all the damage done by viruses.
>>
> I have no Normal Mode, all I get is a log on screen and then it instantly
> goes to log out screen.  Can't even run safe mode.  I was just hoping to
> run
> this crippled until I put in a new drive and a new reload.  You are 100%
> right about fixing a compromised machine, they always have problems and
> never
> run as fast as they should.  thanks for helping...Gene

You now need to edit the registry in off-line mode. Here is how it's done:
1. Get yourself a 32-bit Windows 7 Repair CD from
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/.
2. Boot the machine with it and select Repair, then Command Prompt.
3. Locate your WinXP drive C:. It's probably drive E: or F:. I shall call it
Q:.
4. Launch regedit.exe.
5. Load the System hive (Q:\Windows\System32\config\System) and modify the
system drive letter as previously described.

0
Pegasus
1/28/2010 8:23:10 PM
Pegasus, I'll give it a try and really thanks for the help...Gene

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news
> item news:8A0D5EB8-DD96-4823-99AA-6D0E1BE8F800@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >> "Wolverine Gene" <WolverineGene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
> >> news
> >> item news:54FBC572-6052-4777-B4F2-2FC23CF2106E@microsoft.com...

> >> With "Normal Mode" I meant the way Windows normally boots up, i.e. not
> >> Safe
> >> Mode and not Recovery Console.
> >>
> >> To me an infected machine is a compromised machine. I never try to fix
> >> them
> >> because I no longer trust them.
> >>
> >> You can modify the System drive letter back to C: by booting up normally,
> >> then running regedit.exe and renaming this value:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\F:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
> >> If the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
> >> already
> >> exists then you can delete it safely.
> >>
> >> Whether this will solve all of your problems is another question - see
> >> above. Remember that virus scanners are here to keep viruses out. They
> >> cannot possibly fix all the damage done by viruses.
> >>
> > I have no Normal Mode, all I get is a log on screen and then it instantly
> > goes to log out screen.  Can't even run safe mode.  I was just hoping to
> > run
> > this crippled until I put in a new drive and a new reload.  You are 100%
> > right about fixing a compromised machine, they always have problems and
> > never
> > run as fast as they should.  thanks for helping...Gene
> >

> You now need to edit the registry in off-line mode. Here is how it's done:
> 1. Get yourself a 32-bit Windows 7 Repair CD from
> http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/.
> 2. Boot the machine with it and select Repair, then Command Prompt.
> 3. Locate your WinXP drive C:. It's probably drive E: or F:. I shall call it
> Q:.
> 4. Launch regedit.exe.
> 5. Load the System hive (Q:\Windows\System32\config\System) and modify the
> system drive letter as previously described.

Text Recovery Converter
Is there a way to convert documents written in Works(99, I think) to Office 2003? lgastin@msn.com ...

DOS Console and Setting It Up for Text Completion, etc.
I'd like to set up the console, so the default properties allow me to use text completion, 120 character with by 200 deep lines, allow text completion and allow me to copy from the black window? What do I need to do? Some part of this has to do with Quick Edit, which is probably to turn it off. Have you checked the "Layout" tab in Properties? -- JS http://www.pagestart.com "W. eWatson" <wolftracks@invalid.com> wrote in message news:hevd9u$3ft$1@news.eternal-september.org... > I'd like to set up the console, so the default propertie...

Journal recovery
I have a client who I moved from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 6 months ago. I was just told that they have been using the Journal function in Outlook for case management, logging all calls and contacts for over 5 years. I was under the impression that they were using it for much less critical purposes and have strongly recommended that they get an application that is meant for this purpose. Anyway, one person needed to look at his journal entries from 2 years ago and they don't go back that far. I found a backup from 18 months ago and extraced the person's PST file from the information store u...

A looping condition was detected
Good morning. I have Exchange 2003. Lately we have had a lot of failed delivery notifications. The last one put an error in the application logs that said "A looping condition was detected" (3017). When I clicked on the link for more help I was told: "If you have multiple SMTP virtual servers configured on your Exchange server, make sure that they are configured with a unique incoming port and that the outgoing SMTP port configuration is valid. Make sure that all of the connectors are correctly configured. For example, make sure that no connectors have the address sp...

DVD-RAM DRIVE(D:) changes to CD DRIVE (D:)
When I put in a blank DVD of any kind my DVD drive changes to CD drive. I am unable to burn any to a DVD. This is a new problem for me. I have been able to burn in the past with no problem.Everything in my device manager is fine. Can someone please help me. Can it read DVDs? Also XP didn't come with DVD burning software, it would be added by the PC manufacturer if the burner came with the system. Is that software still functioning? Amanda wrote: > When I put in a blank DVD of any kind my DVD drive changes to CD drive. I am > unable to burn any to a DVD. This is a ...

Excel macro "loop"
To avoid several hand mader starts (400 x) of a macro I want to edit the VSB macro in a loop. I am not familiar with VSB but do have some experiance with other database languages. What is the exact way / commands to write down (edit) the macro? Someting like this. --------------------------------------------------------------- Start loop if n < 401 n = n+1 {a macro workaround with move, copy and past} endif end loop --------------------------------------------------------------- -- Vr.groet - regards, L´┐Żon Obers The code is: Do While n < 401 n = n ...

VBA Loops
Im trying to create a loop statement that moves onto the next cell once the loop has finished and then continues with the loop, and so on. I need help ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** Hi Chris something along the lines of Sub testloop() For Each cell In Range("A1:A10") If UCase(cell.Value) <> "OK" Then MsgBox cell.Address & " - not ok" End If Next End Sub Cheers JuieD "Chris" <ChristoherNichol...

Moving ALL Data From C: To Another Drive: Utility?
I've got the part about MyDocuments.Properties. And I've stumbled though the RegEdit settings for Favorites. But it seems to me like the registry changes are pyramiding and user RCI on my part looks inevitable. So, bottom line: is there a utility out there that will automate the process of moving all that stuff to another drive where it won't get hammered if/when the system is re-imaged? I'm thinking about all the "Local Settings" and "Application Data" pointers for starters. -- PeteCresswell (PeteCresswell) wrote: > I've got the...

Why CListctrl block message loop?
Hi all, I encounter a problem in my project.below is the detail information: I create a single-documentview project ,and create a listctrl on the view. At the same time,I create a thread which call PostThreadMessage to post message to the main thread. In CMyPorjectApp::PreTranslateMessage(MSG* pMsg),I write a TRACE macro to output the message sent from the thread. Everything looks fine except when I press left mouse button on the listctrl and hold on.When I press the left button on the listctrl,the PreTranslateMessage() will not be called anymore and all the messages sent from the t...

Drowning in Loops
Hi, Im at my wits end with this - I am trying to test a frame on my form and if the value is (1), I test three fields on my main form against three feilds on my (unlinked sub form). If these three fields test true, then an error message is displayed advising the user that the the same record already exists, and exits. If anyone of them are false, then SQL is executed to add the new record. If the frame = 2, then the SQL is executed. I have tried several different ways of doing this and each way (including case statements) fail with various errors, would someone kindly ad...

Using the Recovery Storage Group
I want to restore using the Recovery Storage Group, but i get the following error when i try Add Database to Recover: There is no such object on the server. Facility: LDAP Provider ID no: 80072030 Exchange System Manager. More info... Exchange is running in a cluster, has been for about a year without any problems. I use Veritas Backup Exec, and use the Agent for Exchange. The cluster works perfectly, no problem. I right-click the Recovery Storage Group, select Add Database to Recover, in the search results i click the the Mailbox Store i want, (there is only one), and click ok. This i...

Exchange recovery #2
Hi there, I need to complete a full restoration of Exchange 2003 on a Win 2000 server as part of a recovery test procedures. The Exchange 2003 is part of the windows 200 DC and the data is backed up fully every night, including all Exchange data files. Can anyone recommend the 'best practice' for completing this procedure? Any help would be appreciated D this really says it all: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/MRFME2KS. mspx <dave.c.rogers@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126532700.139704.6530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi th...

Some users cannot use ActiveX controls, what is wrong?
Hello, - I designed some Excel sheets using some ActiveX controls. - We have been using them for years. - Some of the Excel documents have Macros, some not. The users are having this issue even is there is no macro. The behavior is as following: - The user cannot even select the control, for example, clicking on a check box does not do anything. Trying to pick up a value in a DropDownList does nothing, the list do not even open. - This is like all controls are static pictures. Environment - Office 2007 under Vista - It works for me Office 2007/XP - I compared the various ...

HELP ME! Exchange has gone wrong
My Server went offline for some reason but I have now got it back onto the internet (looks like my router messed up). I can browse the Internet, but I cant recieve email. I have checked my Domain name MX record is pointing to my Dyndns address which is showing my current IP address. I have sent email to my Hotmail address, and tried replying but it hasnt arrived yet. Can anyone help me Woady "Me" <me@me.com> wrote in message news:d4efh9$em0$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk... > My Server went offline for some reason but I have now got it back onto the > internet (loo...

looping
hi. i am trying to loop through the #DIST table for however many track_dates are in the #DATES table, assigning the #DATES.currentrow's track_date to each record. just not sure how to do this. here is my code: DECLARE @intFlag int DECLARE @intCount int SET @intCount = (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #DATES) SET @intFlag = 1 WHILE (@intFlag < (@intCount + 1)) BEGIN INSERT into #TEST SELECT one, two, three from #TEST SET @intFlag = @intFlag + 1 END thanks in advance, geebee > i am trying to loop through the #DIST table for however many track_dates > a...

Restarting Do ... Loop
Hello, I'm scanning a document for the existence of the character string "| Not rated". Then copying the selected area of text into another document. I use a Do While loop. If "| Not rated" is found then do stuff. What I can't get it to do is if it doesn't find "| Not rated" skip the rest of the stuff and continue in the loop. Here is the code in question: Do Until <stuff> Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=4, Extend:=wdExtend Selection.Find.ClearFormatting With Selectio...

Recovery storage groups and exmerge
Hi, I had an exchange 2003 server fail a short while ago. While the server was down, I moved deleted the mailboxes off that server, created new mailboxes for those users on another server, then restored the contents of their mailboxes from the most recent backup I had. Users back up, so far so good, only a small window of data missing for the users (the "bad" server had it's MTA up and was on the network, but could not mount the Information Store, so I assume messages sent to recipients on that server are hidden away in it's MTA). As I could copy the priv.edb file off of t...

Using For
Excel 2000 SR-1 I am trying to write a VB code using a For - Next statement to calcualate cells. The basic satement is: For X = 1 to 7 [A(x)] = {Calcualtion} ' Where A=Column and X = Row Next X Is there a correct way in VB code? This would greatly reduce the code I would have to write otherwise. if you want to put a VALUE in the cell, use something like this ============================== Sub PutValues() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim x As Integer Set ws = ActiveSheet With ws For x = 1 To 7 .Cells(x, 1) = x Next x End With End Sub ===...

Loop
Is there any way, where u you select the record (part number, quantity) where the order number = strOrderNum... Then, I will put a loop there to do until it end. But just the moment entering the loop, i will need to check whether this selected part number exists in that table under the specified job number... If exists, will update accumulate the quantity else it will insert a new line. .. How should I do it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Open an ADODB.recordset with that record as criteria, and set the loop under an IF statement: If recordset.recordcount > 0 th...

How do I perform Exch 2003 Disaster Recovery drill?
Hi All, I would like to perfom a disaster recovery drill for my Exchange 2003 environment, and would appreciate some suggestion on doing it correctly. I would like to test the capability of restoring the Exchange to new server with completely different hardware specs than the old (original) one. Here's is my idea: 1. Install one server, promote it to DC/GC in the production domain. 2. Disconnect this DC from the production network, put it into private network. 3. In this private network, install Windows 2003 with the same version, hotfixes, and service packs. 4. Use the same NET...

How to add our own message in Message Loop???
Hye, Newly admitted to VC group.. I want to know is it possible to add our own message type in windows messege loop??? I mean, is it possible to add, WM_MYOWN_MESSEGE and send it by broadcast to all windows, where my another window will be receiving it and handle it for private use and communication between two application?? If yes, then how to do that, I am trying to do that but not getting output.. So, can you please refer me some location for this, if possible?? Thanks, -- Jigar Mehta jbmehtain@yahoo.co.in If you are using message loops then you are posting to the wrong group....

Wrong Default for 'Number of Copies' to print
Help! Every time I open Excel 2000, the printer defaults to 3 copies. There's nothing in the printer driver that allows me to change the number of copies, and in any case, Excel is the one making the 3 copies (the printing dialog runs through 3 times). If I remember to change it back to 1 copy, it works fine. Anyone have a place for me to fix this? Richard Try selecting (from the Start menu) Start, Settings, Printers, right-click the printer in question, select Properties, and check the settings in there. Any settings set here serve as "default" settings whenever you se...

move my xp pro 64 bit install to 2nd hard drive
Hi, I have 2 hard drives, 1 with Windows7 which I want to uninstall and on the 2nd is XP Pro 64 bit. After formatting the Windows 7 hard drive can I move XP Pro 64 bit to that hard drive? But I want XP Home on the hard drive XP Pro 64 Bit is on now. after installing XP Home on the hard drive XP Pro 64 Bit was on? ....scribble scribble scribble... Hi, don't bother answering my question. I will do a clean install of both XP Home and XP Pro 64 Bit. Thank you. ....scribble scribble scribble... "umwhat" wrote: > Hi, > I have 2 hard drives, 1 wi...

Looping in the re-booting section
Has anyone come across anything like this? I set up a W2K3 Exchange server with software mirroring system and data drive (like I do on my W2k servers) then I shutdown the server pull 2nd disk and reboot did get split blue screen error, went into self re-boot and started up. Did my software update etc. now I wanted to go back to my previous version. Shutdown the system pulled the disk 1 and placed disk 2 in its slot, re-booted got again blue screen for split second (just enough to notice it flicker) and the system went into self re-boot, it continued to loop in that re-boot. Could not...

publisher 2000 and flash drives
so i am having a problem in publisher 2000 running on an XP service pack 2 machine on my network. actually it is all of them, but anyways....when i try to save to a flash drive from publisher 2000 as a non administrator of the machine or network i cannot. it gives me an error talking about the floppy drive door is not closed...whatever that means. i tried updating office (applied all available service packs and updates) tried several different machines, logins, etc. the only pattern i found was that it only happens to non administrators. anyone else having a similar problem? Save t...