Backup and Restore Registry Knowledge

I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.

How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
0
jack0233

"jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>
> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack

Do Start-Run-Regedit.
Highlight Computer then do File-Export.

To restore, just double click on the exported file (AFAIR)

0
Gordon
1/19/2010 10:24:46 PM
Gordon wrote:
> "jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
>> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
>> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
>> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
>> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>>
>> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
>
> Do Start-Run-Regedit.
> Highlight Computer then do File-Export.
>
> To restore, just double click on the exported file (AFAIR)

Better yet, use ERUNT.
The method you suggested of exporting and importing will not really restore
it to the exact state it was in previously, as it will merge entries with
those already in there, which is not an exact restoration (although it may
be close).

0
Bill
1/19/2010 10:43:06 PM
jack0233 wrote:
> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>
> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack

This page covers all the different ways you can back up your registry:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

But what you are asking about is problematic. If you install programs
along the way and wish to revert to your original registry (that is, the
registry as it was *before* you installed all those programs, there will
be mismatches galore. That is because all your registry entries for all
your installed programs will be gone once you restore the original
registry!

Perhaps, though, you are also interested in *not* keeping all those
programs, that is, starting clean. If so, read on...

Rather than back up the registry, you would be better advised to clone
your C: drive. Then not only will your original original registry be
restored, but there won't be any mismatches. You are looking for a
solution where *everything* becomes pristine, correct? If so, yes,
create an image of your entire C: drive in its pristine state. If you
are looking for a free program to do this, DriveImageXML fits the bill
nicely:

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

If you are looking for something more sophisiticated, Acronis True Image
Home is very popular:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

This program has two advantages over the other program:

1. You can also create incremental images (which saves time)

2. You can even create perfectly cloned CDs if you wish.

However, if all you want to do is create a one-time perfect snapshot,
the first program is sufficient. But in order to restore the image, you
would need to run Bart PE:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

And in order to build this boot CD, you will need a full-fledged Windows
XP installation CD first.

Personally, I recommend Acronis. Once you have it, you could get into
the habit of creating weely images of your drive. So if a problem comes
up, you wouldn't need to "flatten and rebuild." Rather, all you would
need to do is restore the most recent working image. Fast and easy! And
if for some reason you wish to restore your very first pristine image,
that option is always there for you (provided you save the image, of
course!).

An external hard drive is an excellent medium to store your image
archives on, so it is highly recommended.

Still, it's a good idea to _also_ use Windows System Restore and ERUNT.
The more tools you have in your toolbox, the better! Sometimes a simple
fix is all you need...

0
Daave
1/19/2010 11:00:25 PM
Daave wrote:
> jack0233 wrote:
>> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
>> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
>> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
>> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
>> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>>
>> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
>
> This page covers all the different ways you can back up your registry:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
>
> But what you are asking about is problematic. If you install programs
> along the way and wish to revert to your original registry (that is, the
> registry as it was *before* you installed all those programs, there will
> be mismatches galore. That is because all your registry entries for all
> your installed programs will be gone once you restore the original
> registry!

Good call!
In retrospect, I probably should have said anything short of a backup image
or clone would be pretty useless - in this case (of going back that far).

> Perhaps, though, you are also interested in *not* keeping all those
> programs, that is, starting clean. If so, read on...
>
> Rather than back up the registry, you would be better advised to clone
> your C: drive. Then not only will your original original registry be
> restored, but there won't be any mismatches. You are looking for a
> solution where *everything* becomes pristine, correct? If so, yes,
> create an image of your entire C: drive in its pristine state. If you
> are looking for a free program to do this, DriveImageXML fits the bill
> nicely:
>
> http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
>
> If you are looking for something more sophisiticated, Acronis True Image
> Home is very popular:
>
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>
> This program has two advantages over the other program:
>
> 1. You can also create incremental images (which saves time)
>
> 2. You can even create perfectly cloned CDs if you wish.
>
> However, if all you want to do is create a one-time perfect snapshot,
> the first program is sufficient. But in order to restore the image, you
> would need to run Bart PE:
>
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
>
> And in order to build this boot CD, you will need a full-fledged Windows
> XP installation CD first.
>
> Personally, I recommend Acronis. Once you have it, you could get into
> the habit of creating weely images of your drive. So if a problem comes
> up, you wouldn't need to "flatten and rebuild." Rather, all you would
> need to do is restore the most recent working image. Fast and easy! And
> if for some reason you wish to restore your very first pristine image,
> that option is always there for you (provided you save the image, of
> course!).
>
> An external hard drive is an excellent medium to store your image
> archives on, so it is highly recommended.
>
> Still, it's a good idea to _also_ use Windows System Restore and ERUNT.
> The more tools you have in your toolbox, the better! Sometimes a simple
> fix is all you need...

0
Bill
1/20/2010 1:22:57 AM
Bill in Co. wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> jack0233 wrote:
>>> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first
>>> one after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I
>>> wanted that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later
>>> additions of programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other
>>> words, the same registry I saved after a factory recover, would be
>>> RESTORED. How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
>>
>> This page covers all the different ways you can back up your
>> registry: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
>>
>> But what you are asking about is problematic. If you install programs
>> along the way and wish to revert to your original registry (that is,
>> the registry as it was *before* you installed all those programs,
>> there will be mismatches galore. That is because all your registry
>> entries for all your installed programs will be gone once you
>> restore the original registry!
>
> Good call!

I have my moments. :-)

0
Daave
1/20/2010 1:31:28 AM
I think what you want is a complete backup of your HD not the Registry.

Registry alone is not going to help you in shape or form.  I suggest get
hold of Norton Ghost 15 from your local AMAZON and use its recovery disk to
back up your HD.  They say "Cold Imaging lets you back up files without
installing Ghost.".  I have tested it and can confirm it is completely true.

It costs $69 or less from online vendors but you can also download from
crack sites.

Let me repeat once again: REGISTRY ALONE OS NOT GOING TO PROTECT YOU IN THE
EVENT OF DISASTER STRIKING YOU.

hth

"jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>
> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack

0
ANONYMOUS
1/20/2010 2:21:06 AM
Daave wrote:
> jack0233 wrote:
>> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
>> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I
>> wanted that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later
>> additions of programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other
>> words, the same registry I saved after a factory recover, would be
>> RESTORED. How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
>
> This page covers all the different ways you can back up your registry:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
>
> But what you are asking about is problematic. If you install programs
> along the way and wish to revert to your original registry (that is,
> the registry as it was *before* you installed all those programs,
> there will be mismatches galore. That is because all your registry
> entries for all your installed programs will be gone once you restore
> the original registry!
>
> Perhaps, though, you are also interested in *not* keeping all those
> programs, that is, starting clean. If so, read on...
>
> Rather than back up the registry, you would be better advised to clone
> your C: drive. Then not only will your original original registry be
> restored, but there won't be any mismatches. You are looking for a
> solution where *everything* becomes pristine, correct?

It appears he already has it - the "factory restore".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
1/20/2010 12:04:51 PM
Why would you want to do that?  The registry is somewhat dynamic.
You cannot simply restore the registry to a factory level at a future time
and expect
an operable system.

"jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>
> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack

0
Unknown
1/20/2010 4:19:44 PM
In news:87d2e49c-a2fa-4ec8-966a-58499731675d@x15g2000vbr.googlegroups.com,
jack0233 <jep0233@gmail.com> typed:
> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I wanted
> that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of
> programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other words, the same
> registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED.
>
> How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack

An easy quick way is to use the native ntbackup.exe to back up the System
State - one of the choices. That backs up the registry and all the necessary
boot files and you can save as many different build versions as you want to.
Restore is easy and simple.

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne
1/21/2010 2:02:31 AM
In news:O2pM1YVmKHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Gordon <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> typed:
> "jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one
>> after a complete factory restore.  AND THEN, if in the future I
>> wanted that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later
>> additions of programs, registry entries updates and such.  In other
>> words, the same registry I saved after a factory recover, would be
>> RESTORED. How can such a thing be accomplished?  Thanks, jack
>
> Do Start-Run-Regedit.
> Highlight Computer then do File-Export.
>
> To restore, just double click on the exported file (AFAIR)

Uhh, no, don't restore the registry that way. It could create a mess in some
cases. Erunt would be better than doing that or better yet back up the
System State using XP's backup.

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne
1/21/2010 2:03:37 AM
On Jan 19, 5:31=A0pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:

> I have my moments. :-)

Daave, I have moments when I think I understand the whats, whens and
hows of backing up stuff on my PC, but every time I read one of these
threads that discusses all the variations and permutations of doing
backups, I have other moments that make me wonder if I am really
doing / using all of the 'right' tools at the 'right' time to minimize
the negative impact of some hardware or software mishap.

I've read enough of your posts to conclude that you know what you are
talking about and that you have undoubtedly established a standard
routine for backing up your stuff.

So, if you would, I would appreciate your sharing your 'best practice'
backup routine.  What components do you backup?  How often do you
backup each component?  What application(s) do you use to backup each
of the various components?  What media do you back up each component
on?  And anything else you feel is relevant to your backup scenario.

Like a lot of folks, I am looking for a good recipe, not a grocery
store.  Thanks Daave.
0
Teflon
1/21/2010 8:19:03 PM
Teflon wrote:
> On Jan 19, 5:31 pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have my moments. :-)
>
> Daave, I have moments when I think I understand the whats, whens and
> hows of backing up stuff on my PC, but every time I read one of these
> threads that discusses all the variations and permutations of doing
> backups, I have other moments that make me wonder if I am really
> doing / using all of the 'right' tools at the 'right' time to minimize
> the negative impact of some hardware or software mishap.
>
> I've read enough of your posts to conclude that you know what you are
> talking about and that you have undoubtedly established a standard
> routine for backing up your stuff.
>
> So, if you would, I would appreciate your sharing your 'best practice'
> backup routine.  What components do you backup?  How often do you
> backup each component?  What application(s) do you use to backup each
> of the various components?  What media do you back up each component
> on?  And anything else you feel is relevant to your backup scenario.
>
> Like a lot of folks, I am looking for a good recipe, not a grocery
> store.  Thanks Daave.

Thanks for the kind words, Teflon.

Actually, there are many good recipes. And since everybody has different
needs, know that there is no one-size-fits-all method. Some people have
extremely important data, which if lost, would cost them thousands of
dollars (or more). Others don't have any data at all and use their PCs
only for Web-related activities. Somehwhere in between would lie most
people. Many have important data (including family photos and videos,
etc. and office-related documents, etc.) that should defnitely be backed
up. But perhaps this library of data doesn't change too often. Of
course, if new data is being created every moment, a more rigorous
backup strategy would need to be implemented.

I see the term "backing up" (which is a vague term!) as comprising two
aspects:

1. Saving a recent working version of the operating system and all the
programs, including customized settings and the most recent updates.

2. Making sure data (e-mails, music, photos, videos, Word and Excel
files, etc.) is safely backed up.

I am actually in the process of changing my backup strategy. :-) But for
now, my method is very simple.

I have only one partition on my hard drive. I use Acronis True Image
Home to make a full image archive of my drive (which is stored on an
external hard drive). Then once a week, I make incremental images, which
don't take that long. Then again, it happens either over night or in the
background, so it really doesn;t matter how long it takes. :-) I've
always favored manually doing things (even drove a manual transmission
for a number of years!). For instance, I go to the Windows Update site
several times a month and manually install critical updates. This isn't
necessarily "best practices," mind you! For most others I recommend
letting Automatic Updates handle this function. And I'll probably try
that once again myself. But in the past, I recall having performance
problems unless the AU service was turned off. So I just got into the
habit of manually updating. It's probably time to revisit that strategy.
:-)

Same with imaging. For a long time, my method was to make one large full
image and subsequent weekly (manual) incremental images overnight. But
lately I have finally started scheduling automatic incremental imaging
sessions, and that works just fine.

What I like about imaging one large partition is it's easy; there's very
little to think about! And not is all my data backed up, but the OS,
programs, etc. are perfectly preserved. So if something funky happens
and my PC can't boot, all I need to do is restore the most recent image.

Some people might need to run the incremental images once a day. It
depends on the person's needs.

But I think I might change my partitioning structure so that the OS and
programs reside on C: and all the data reside on D:. I would image the
C: drive and simply copy the data on D:. Again, Acronis can easily
handle this situation.

This page should help get you started if you are interested in Acronis:

http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_image.htm

There are also some tutorials on Youtube that might be helpful.

There are other imaging programs, too. This is the one that I have used.
Since I like it, I recommend it. But there are other good ones, too!

If you choose Acronis (and there is a free trial version), there are
some forums you can post to if you have specific questions. Here's one:

http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acronis-discussion-forums/acronis-true-image-forum

But I believe it is extremely user-friendly.

Hmmm, I realize the above wasn't much of a "recipe," but I hope you find
it helpful.

0
Daave
1/21/2010 10:20:38 PM
On Jan 21, 2:20=A0pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, I realize the above wasn't much of a "recipe," but I hope you find
> it helpful.

Thanks, it is, but I still have several questions.

Aside from using ATI to make an image of the internal hard drive, do
you also use something like ERUNT to separately backup the registry?
If so, why?  If not, why not?

Do you periodically consolidate those incremental images?  Do you
grandfather your images?

Since you only have the one partition on your internal HD, I guess
making an image of that internal HD on an external HDD would be all
the safeguarding (all inclusive term) you need for both OS and data.
However, should you create a second partition for data, would you
still use ATI to image that partition to the external HDD as well?
Are there better apps for backing up and then syncing data files on an
external HDD?

Manual transmission, me too.  I knew there was something very
practical about you.

0
Teflon
1/22/2010 6:01:16 PM
Teflon wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:20 pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, I realize the above wasn't much of a "recipe," but I hope you
>> find it helpful.
>
> Thanks, it is, but I still have several questions.
>
> Aside from using ATI to make an image of the internal hard drive, do
> you also use something like ERUNT to separately backup the registry?
> If so, why?  If not, why not?

One of these days, I plan on doing that. As long as you have a validated
up-to-date image, you're pretty much covered, though. I also have recent
restore points in Windows System Restore as a fallback. I feel like I'm
plenty covered. Still, like I said, I do plan using ERUNT in the future
as yet another fallback. I doubt I would *ever* get into a situation
where an image or restore point would fail me. Still, it can't hurt to
have one more layer of security.

The reason I have been slow to getting around with playing with ERUNT is
Windows System Restore already backs up the registry. And I have had
success with it the two or three times I used it. Sometimes all that is
needed to solve a problem is to run System Restore. It is certainly
quicker that restoring an image! Although *very* unlikely, SR *could*
fail, so ERUNT *could* be of assistance in that instance (and in the
*HIGHLY* unlikely event that there is also something wrong with the
validated image, ERUNT could prove to be the only solution short of a
Repair or Clean Install). But like I said, I feel very covered currently
with *both* strategies (recent validated image *and* recent restore
points), so I'm in no rush to add yet another layer of protection.
Still, I do see its value.

> Do you periodically consolidate those incremental images?  Do you
> grandfather your images?

Every few months, I'll create a brand new full image and then subsequent
incremental images to *that*. After a while, I'll delete the old full
image and *its* associated incremental images. I have no set schedule;
if the external hard drive is getting full, the old unneeded stuff gets
deleted to make room for the new stuff.

> Since you only have the one partition on your internal HD, I guess
> making an image of that internal HD on an external HDD would be all
> the safeguarding (all inclusive term) you need for both OS and data.

Correct. This is the easiest method, and everything is indeed
safeguarded.

> However, should you create a second partition for data, would you
> still use ATI to image that partition to the external HDD as well?
> Are there better apps for backing up and then syncing data files on an
> external HDD?

No. Instead of creating an image archive, you can create a data archive
(with ATI). And you can create incremental data archives, too. Some
people instead use Windows XP's own ntbackup program; that works, too.
Others use Karen's Replicator:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

(I haven't used this particular program, but I have heard good reviews.)

> Manual transmission, me too.  I knew there was something very
> practical about you.

:-)

0
Daave
1/22/2010 7:06:14 PM
Daave wrote:
> Teflon wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 2:20 pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm, I realize the above wasn't much of a "recipe," but I hope you
>>> find it helpful.
>>
>> Thanks, it is, but I still have several questions.
>>
>> Aside from using ATI to make an image of the internal hard drive, do
>> you also use something like ERUNT to separately backup the registry?
>> If so, why?  If not, why not?
>
> One of these days, I plan on doing that. As long as you have a validated
> up-to-date image, you're pretty much covered, though. I also have recent
> restore points in Windows System Restore as a fallback. I feel like I'm
> plenty covered. Still, like I said, I do plan using ERUNT in the future
> as yet another fallback. I doubt I would *ever* get into a situation
> where an image or restore point would fail me. Still, it can't hurt to
> have one more layer of security.
>
> The reason I have been slow to getting around with playing with ERUNT is
> Windows System Restore already backs up the registry. And I have had
> success with it the two or three times I used it. Sometimes all that is
> needed to solve a problem is to run System Restore. It is certainly
> quicker that restoring an image!

Dave, using ERUNT is a lot faster than using System Restore, PLUS it leaves
ALL other files on your hard drive alone: it ONLY restores the registry and
its associated files, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

System Restore is definitely more thorough, but System Restore can - and
will - remove any monitored file types (like exe) recently added since the
last restore point that were NOT stored in protected locations, like My
Documents.   And sometimes that can be a PIA.

0
Bill
1/22/2010 8:14:40 PM
Daave wrote:
> Teflon wrote:
>> However, should you create a second partition for data, would you
>> still use ATI to image that partition to the external HDD as well?
>> Are there better apps for backing up and then syncing data files on
>> an external HDD?
>
> No. Instead of creating an image archive, you can create a data
> archive (with ATI). And you can create incremental data archives,
> too. Some people instead use Windows XP's own ntbackup program; that
> works, too. Others use Karen's Replicator:
>
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
>
> (I haven't used this particular program, but I have heard good
> reviews.)

It is one I used to use a lot and I like it.  My version is an old one and
one can only back up one "job" at a time (a "job" is any single drive or
folder, don't know if the newest can do multiple or not).; no matter, one
can have as many "jobs" as one wishes and multiple jobs can be run at the
same time; the jobs can be scheduled to run automatically at user set
intervals.

Another handy backupper is My Own Backup (MOB).  It is nice because the
backup can be compressed if one wishes.  No automatic run/schedule though.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=mob+v2.1&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=

Neither of these takes the place of an imager.  IMO, they are best used to
backup user data...data that is more likely to change than is the rest of
the sysyem.  Make an image when there are material changes to the system,
back up user data more frequently.

I keep a Notepad (Metapad, actually) LIFO log of what I do to the system.
Install or remove a program?  Make a log entry of date and program name.
Made an image?  Make a log entry of date.  If the log is kept on a drive
other than the OS drive - a USB thumb drive is fine - and one has to restore
an image one can then refer to the log to see what if any changes were not
in the image that was restored.

ERUNT is handy, IMO, saved my butt more than once.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
1/22/2010 8:39:14 PM
Bill in Co. wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> Teflon wrote:

>>> Thanks, it is, but I still have several questions.
>>>
>>> Aside from using ATI to make an image of the internal hard drive, do
>>> you also use something like ERUNT to separately backup the registry?
>>> If so, why?  If not, why not?
>>
>> One of these days, I plan on doing that. As long as you have a
>> validated up-to-date image, you're pretty much covered, though. I
>> also have recent restore points in Windows System Restore as a
>> fallback. I feel like I'm plenty covered. Still, like I said, I do
>> plan using ERUNT in the future as yet another fallback. I doubt I
>> would *ever* get into a situation where an image or restore point
>> would fail me. Still, it can't hurt to have one more layer of
>> security. The reason I have been slow to getting around with playing
>> with
>> ERUNT is Windows System Restore already backs up the registry. And I
>> have had success with it the two or three times I used it. Sometimes
>> all that is needed to solve a problem is to run System Restore. It
>> is certainly quicker that restoring an image!
>
> Dave, using ERUNT is a lot faster than using System Restore,

I don't doubt that. Still, SR takes only a minute or two, so I can
handle the wait. :-)

> PLUS it
> leaves ALL other files on your hard drive alone: it ONLY restores the
> registry and its associated files, which is both an advantage and a
> disadvantage.
> System Restore is definitely more thorough, but System Restore can -
> and will - remove any monitored file types (like exe) recently added
> since the last restore point that were NOT stored in protected
> locations, like My Documents.   And sometimes that can be a PIA.

Not a concern of mine because all my installation files (yes, I like to
keep them) reside in a directory inside My Documents.

ERUNT has its value, no doubt. And eventually I will get around to using
it. :-)

0
Daave

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Exchange 2003 restore on different host
I have exchange 2003 installed on host A and all users mailbox configured and used for while, now I have installed new exchange 2003 on host B and then restored backup version of exchange SG from host A to host B, can the exchange 2003 on host B mount the restored SG and read all the mailboxes? Appreciated your respond. James On 8 Feb 2007 21:13:31 -0800, "sss" <james.zheng@gmail.com> wrote: >I have exchange 2003 installed on host A and all users mailbox >configured and used for while, now I have installed new exchange 2003 >on host B and then restored backup vers...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

BACKUPS #2
When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info require a seperate backup? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, hogbreath wrote: >When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info >include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info >require a seperate backup? Thanks. It's included. ========= 2006 suggested backup procedure Money 2006 introduces a useful multiple backup file feature. In M06: Tools->Settings->Bac...

Can't restore .pst files in Outlook 2007/Windows XP
Help! My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed. I had backed up all my data on my clickfree automatic backup and have managed to restore my pictures and documents, but am having problems doing so with my e-mails and address book. I have the .pst files on my PC but can't access them because I get an error message when I try to open them saying "You are attempting to open a file of type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders (.pst) These fles are used by the operating system and by various programmes. Editing or modifying them could damage y...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...

Exchange Front End Backup Frequency
Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End Exchange 2003 Standard 2003 AD native/native Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding. What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it holds no real changing data? Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully) Backend has sufficient backups every day in place. Thanks for your help, Harry On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote: >Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End >Exchange 2003 Standard >2003 AD native/native &...

Exmerge Backup
hi we have exchange 2003 on and windows 2003 server. i login as administrator and i want to take backup of all the mailbox that are present useing Exmerge. but Exmerge doesnt recomend to change the permissions of administrator (recieve as and send as permissions which are denyed by default) . i have created a user who has admin previlages and i have created security group with receive and send as permissions set and made this user a memeber of that serurity group. now how do i run exmerge do i have to login to windows using this login or how how do i login to exchange with this user...

Backup OneNote files to CD
I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put them on CD but could not restore them from CD. I did not use the backup facility, as I am a new user of onenote and was unaware of this function. I now use back up regularly. My question is: is this the correct way to save files so I can put them on a CD and be able to restore them back in onenote should the need arise? I don't want to take a chance of losing any more files. -- John -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put ...

Backup always
How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save, it will 'Always Create Backups'. That is, want the default behavior for Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to have to check every file before saving, please. (Used to be able to do this:~( You could try something like this, Michael: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Best practice .pst files on network shares for backup purposes
We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger. Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on a network share. This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case something went wrong But it seems Microsoft doesn't a...

Restore #4
Hi, I need to build a Exchange lab environment that is disconnected from the production network. I have already restored a DC "to a computer with diferent HW" and it's working fine. So I do have AD right now in lab. The problem is: I need to replicate the exchange organization to the lab. Since the lab is disconnected, the only way is to install a new exchange server and then try to restore the databases to these new one. The problem is that according to Microsoft's docs I cannot use /Disasterrecovery because the server holding mailboxes in production is a cluster. So...

Exchange backup failing! Backup exec 10d and Windows backup
Hi I've got a 2 node active/passive Exchange 2003 cluster on Windows Server 2003, all fully service packed up which so far has been backing up just fine. I have 3 storage groups with several mailbox stores in each. I take a full backup on Friday night and Mon-Thu are incremental. Just recently, the backup jobs for the information stores is failing on one particular storage group. The backup exec 10.d error states: e000030c - Exchange failed to return any log files when backing up the database. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-780 But the V-79....

Restore button does not work
Thanks in advance for any assistance. I searched through the forum for this problem and found a couple of threads related to it, but none had a definitive answer. I have been having a problem in the last week or so, wherein the Restore button in the upper right corner of the Excel dialog (not the inner worksheet dialog) does not work correctly. If Excel is maximized, clicking on Restore will minimize the dialog onto the toolbar, leaving it only visible as a depressed button on the toolbar. Clicking on this button does nothing. Right clicking on the button shows a dialog containing the fol...

backup tool problem
backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 Add it manually; Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options-> button COM Add-ins... and browse to; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Offfice11\Addins\outbak.dll -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "s" <sachin.walawalkar@dttin.com> wrote in message news:efogwOBZEHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 > > ...

Importing backup messages .mbx
This is to the same issue, what program uses .mbx files in Windows? I can't seem to find searchable information or support from the Microsoft Support page on this, and the files are located on a microsoft\identity folder. its gotta be some outlook version. The laptop where the files were pulled is gone, and I have no .pst files or .wab, I just have inbox,outbox,sent items.. all .mbx. How do I import these files to outlook? its over 120mb each file. Please help me.. thanks Jose Open Outlook Express, Click File, Import, Messages, OUTLOOK EXPRESS 4, next, browse to the MBX f...

restore problem #3
I never got an answer for this request. Please tell me how to do an update for this problem as I'm not able to do anything in MONEY >-----Original Message----- >In microsoft.public.money, Sam wrote: > >>I was trying to get back into money and it asked me to >>reinstall the money program from the original CD again, >>so i did. now i'm trying to restore the backed up >>infomation from "my documents" folder but when i enter my >>password it does not accept it as a valid password >>anymore. >>please help me. i hope i di...

backup
Hi......... m running this code for backing up and to have backup log backup database adventureworks to disk = 'g:radvent6.bak' mirror to disk='g:radvent7.bak' with format,checksum,stop_on_error use adventureworks insert into HumanResources.department (name,groupname)values('dreee','reserch') backup log adventureworks to disk='g:radvent6.trn' after the backup log command executes shows the error as The statement BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the recovery model is SIMPLE. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the rec...

Microsoft Exchange options missing from the windows backup utility
Im trying to use ntbackup installed in serverA (windows 2003) to backup a exchange server in serverB (windows 2003 SP1) A Exchange Servers Folder doesnt appear in ntbackup, then I have Exchange System Manager in serverA installed but still..the Exchange Servers Folder doesn't appear. some idea ? does the account you're logged on with have sufficient Exchange permissions? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Alexander Wolff" <AlexanderWolff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7FFD6EA-10CA-42C2-9A46-92EED4FA16E2@microsoft.com... > Im trying to use ntbackup i...