Another Standby & System Stanby Problem

Up until about a week ago my wife was able to put her desktop PC into Standby
Mode (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby), and the "Power Schemes" worked so
that the computer would go into "System Standby" after 1 hour of non use.
Now only the screen saver comes on correctly but the computer will not go
into System Standby after 1 hour of non use nor can the computer be put into
Standby manually (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby).  When she tried to put
the computer into Standby mode manually, it turns off the monitor, starts to
turn off the computer but it comes right back on again, the monitor comes
back on and Windows loads.

I've read dozens of posts on this subject, I believe it may have something
to do with my old mouse driver.  The only thing that has changed on this
computer in the last week is the IBM mouse (usb) was replaced because Windows
would no longer turn it on when Windows loaded.  I would have to unplug it
and plug it back into the usb port before it would work.  I tried several
other mice and they all worked but the above problem appeared.  I suspect it
has something to do with the old IBM mouse drivers.  Is there a way of
removing the old IBM mouse drivers?  All updates
are current on Windows.

Is there something else that may be causing the problem?  Thank you for your
help.

--
MacKenrick

Please answer all of the following questions by number in your next reply
(no need to quote this post):

1. Is WinXP SP3 installed?

2. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update and/or have any
updates failed to install recently?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Mackenrick wrote:
> Up until about a week ago my wife was able to put her desktop PC into
> Standby Mode (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby), and the "Power Schemes"
> worked so that the computer would go into "System Standby" after 1 hour of
> non use. Now only the screen saver comes on correctly but the computer
> will
> not go into System Standby after 1 hour of non use nor can the computer be
> put into Standby manually (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby).  When she
> tried to put the computer into Standby mode manually, it turns off the
> monitor, starts to turn off the computer but it comes right back on again,
> the monitor comes back on and Windows loads.
>
> I've read dozens of posts on this subject, I believe it may have something
> to do with my old mouse driver.  The only thing that has changed on this
> computer in the last week is the IBM mouse (usb) was replaced because
> Windows would no longer turn it on when Windows loaded.  I would have to
> unplug it and plug it back into the usb port before it would work.  I
> tried
> several other mice and they all worked but the above problem appeared.  I
> suspect it has something to do with the old IBM mouse drivers.  Is there a
> way of removing the old IBM mouse drivers?  All updates
> are current on Windows.
>
> Is there something else that may be causing the problem?  Thank you for
> your
> help.

0
PA
7/29/2010 8:15:45 PM
Thanks for the assist PA Bear,

1.  Win XP SP3 is installed and current.

2.  I think Windows is fully patched.  I've run Windows Update and run
Custom installs so I can install available updates for things like video
cards, etc..  That being said, I think there was a time or two that all the
updates may not have installed.  I'm not sure how to find out.  I just ran
Win Update and there is nothing listed.

3.  I run Norton AV 2010 and it is current.  I also occasionally run
Malwarebytes AntiMalware, to check for things Norton might miss.  I do not
run a third party firewall other then the one on my Linksys Router.

--
MacKenrick

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.  Thank you.

Is the Windows Firewall enabled?

Has another Norton application (e.g., NAV 2008; NIS 2007) or a McAfee
application ever been installed on the computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
--
~PA Bear

Mackenrick wrote:
> Thanks for the assist PA Bear,
>
> 1.  Win XP SP3 is installed and current.
>
> 2.  I think Windows is fully patched.  I've run Windows Update and run
> Custom installs so I can install available updates for things like video
> cards, etc..  That being said, I think there was a time or two that all
> the
> updates may not have installed.  I'm not sure how to find out.  I just ran
> Win Update and there is nothing listed.
>
> 3.  I run Norton AV 2010 and it is current.  I also occasionally run
> Malwarebytes AntiMalware, to check for things Norton might miss.  I do not
> run a third party firewall other then the one on my Linksys Router.

<PASTE>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Please answer all of the following questions by number in your next reply
> (no need to quote this post):
>
> 1. Is WinXP SP3 installed?
>
> 2. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update and/or have
> any
> updates failed to install recently?
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Mackenrick wrote:
>> Up until about a week ago my wife was able to put her desktop PC into
>> Standby Mode (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby), and the "Power Schemes"
>> worked so that the computer would go into "System Standby" after 1 hour
>> of
>> non use. Now only the screen saver comes on correctly but the computer
>> will
>> not go into System Standby after 1 hour of non use nor can the computer
>> be
>> put into Standby manually (Start/Turn Off Computer/Standby).  When she
>> tried to put the computer into Standby mode manually, it turns off the
>> monitor, starts to turn off the computer but it comes right back on
>> again,
>> the monitor comes back on and Windows loads.
>>
>> I've read dozens of posts on this subject, I believe it may have
>> something
>> to do with my old mouse driver.  The only thing that has changed on this
>> computer in the last week is the IBM mouse (usb) was replaced because
>> Windows would no longer turn it on when Windows loaded.  I would have to
>> unplug it and plug it back into the usb port before it would work.  I
>> tried
>> several other mice and they all worked but the above problem appeared.  I
>> suspect it has something to do with the old IBM mouse drivers.  Is there
>> way of removing the old IBM mouse drivers?  All updates
>> are current on Windows.
>>
>> Is there something else that may be causing the problem?  Thank you for
>> your help.

0
PA
7/29/2010 11:52:38 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post.  Thought you said I didn't need to
include the quotes.

Windows Firewall is OFF.

Other Norton Nav's have been installed on this comp.  2006, 2007,2008, 2009.
 It currently has Norton Save & Restore and Norton Systemsworks installed
also.

No preinstalled AV on this computer.  I built it about 4 yeara ago.

--
MacKenrick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> again,
> >> the monitor comes back on and Windows loads.
> >>
> >> I've read dozens of posts on this subject, I believe it may have
> >> something
> >> to do with my old mouse driver.  The only thing that has changed on this
> >> computer in the last week is the IBM mouse (usb) was replaced because
> >> Windows would no longer turn it on when Windows loaded.  I would have to
> >> unplug it and plug it back into the usb port before it would work.  I
> >> tried
> >> several other mice and they all worked but the above problem appeared.  I
> >> suspect it has something to do with the old IBM mouse drivers.  Is there
> >> way of removing the old IBM mouse drivers?  All updates
> >> are current on Windows.
> >>
> >> Is there something else that may be causing the problem?  Thank you for

I would strongly encourage you to enable the Windows Firewall, even though
you connect via a router.

Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not upgrading (or
uninstalling) cleanly.  Normally I'd have you uninstall NAV 21010,
download/run the Norton Removal Tool, and then do a clean install of NAV
2010...but doing so would wipe out NSW and, I assume, Norton Save & Restore.

Are the Norton "leftovers" causing the problem?  Could be.  Check with
Norton/Symantec Support or seek assistance in the appropriate Norton
Community Forum.

Mackenrick wrote:
> Windows Firewall is OFF.
>
> Other Norton Nav's have been installed on this comp.  2006, 2007,2008,
> 2009.
> It currently has Norton Save & Restore and Norton Systemsworks installed
> also.
>
> No preinstalled AV on this computer.  I built it about 4 yeara ago.
>
>> Is the Windows Firewall enabled?
>>
>> Has another Norton application (e.g., NAV 2008; NIS 2007) or a McAfee
>> application ever been installed on the computer?
>>
>> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
>> you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
>>
>> Mackenrick wrote:
>>> Thanks for the assist PA Bear,
>>>
>>> 1.  Win XP SP3 is installed and current.
>>>
>>> 2.  I think Windows is fully patched.  I've run Windows Update and run
>>> Custom installs so I can install available updates for things like video
>>> cards, etc..  That being said, I think there was a time or two that all
>>> the
>>> updates may not have installed.  I'm not sure how to find out.  I just
>>> ran
>>> Win Update and there is nothing listed.
>>>
>>> 3.  I run Norton AV 2010 and it is current.  I also occasionally run
>>> Malwarebytes AntiMalware, to check for things Norton might miss.  I do
>>> not
>>> run a third party firewall other then the one on my Linksys Router.
>>>
>> <PASTE>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Please answer all of the following questions by number in your next
>>> reply
>>> (no need to quote this post):
>>>
>>> 1. Is WinXP SP3 installed?
>>>
>>> 2. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update and/or have
>>> any
>>> updates failed to install recently?
>>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>>> your
>>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)?
>>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

>> .

0
PA
7/30/2010 5:11:12 PM
Thanks Bear,  I'll turn Win Firewall back on (I think it got turned off when
I had Norton Internet Protection installed on this comp last year.  I'll also
look into the Norton removal tool and consider cleaning everything out and
doing a clean install of NAV, SW and S&R.   Thanks for the help.
--
MacKenrick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I would strongly encourage you to enable the Windows Firewall, even though
> you connect via a router.
>
> Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not upgrading (or
> uninstalling) cleanly.  Normally I'd have you uninstall NAV 21010,
> download/run the Norton Removal Tool, and then do a clean install of NAV
> 2010...but doing so would wipe out NSW and, I assume, Norton Save & Restore.
>
> Are the Norton "leftovers" causing the problem?  Could be.  Check with
> Norton/Symantec Support or seek assistance in the appropriate Norton
> Community Forum.
>

> Mackenrick wrote:
> > Windows Firewall is OFF.
> >
> > Other Norton Nav's have been installed on this comp.  2006, 2007,2008,
> > 2009.
> > It currently has Norton Save & Restore and Norton Systemsworks installed
> > also.
> >
> > No preinstalled AV on this computer.  I built it about 4 yeara ago.
> >
> >> Is the Windows Firewall enabled?
> >>
> >> Has another Norton application (e.g., NAV 2008; NIS 2007) or a McAfee
> >> application ever been installed on the computer?
> >>
> >> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> >> you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

> >> <PASTE>

> >> .
>
> .

matching a column of numbers to another in another spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet of shortpayment amounts and their invoice numbers on one spreadsheet with a column of credit amounts with their invoice numbers on another spreadsheet. I need to match the credits written with the shortpayments. kinda like this spreadsheet 1 spreadsheet 2 inv # amount date Credit # Amount Date 122334 15.00 11-25-09 675555 15.00 12-10-09 223345 22.00 10-20-09 754444 22.00 111-25-09 naturally...

Grabbing a number from another cell on another worksheet
Hello, I have a spreadsheet with a number of different worksheets. All I want to do is if I enter a number into a cell on the 2nd worksheet for example, I want it to automatically show in a specific cell on the first worksheet. So a simple copy and paste but for excel to automatically do it for me! it seems like something so easy that I just cant figure out how to do. Try this... Do this once. Select the cell on the 2nd sheet Right click>Copy Navigate to the other sheet and select the cell where you want the value to appear. Right click>Paste Special>Paste Lin...

Acessing function with a DLL which has be loaded from another dll
I have A.dll and B.dll. Assume that A.dll has following functions: A1() A2() Assume that B.dll has following functions: B1() B2() I am loading B.dll from function A1() in A.dll.After Loading B.dll i make a call to B1().After executing the call the function returns to beginning of A2.dll. why is this so? Define "begining". The word tends to make no sense in this context. What you seem to be saying is that you have void A1() { HANDLE h = ::LoadLibrary(_T("B.DLL")); ...test for h==NULL, deal with error typedef void (*B1)() B1Proc; B1Proc B1; ...

install 2003 upgrade problem
I recently bought a new computer with Win 7 OS. I have Office 2003 installed on my old XP computer. The problem is I have an upgrade version and can't find my original Office 97 cd. I had to have it when Office 2003 was installed on the XP computer after the hard drive crashed in 2006. I don't need a new version for my home use so would like to install my upgrade Office 2003 version on the Win 7 computer. Is there any way to get the upgrade to install when I don't have the old cd to put in when it asks for it. I still have the C of A with the product ID for Offi...

Creating column content based on another column's keyword(s) #2
Max, That scriptlet was very useful, and easily tweakable to work in myria applications. Thx! -K -- KHashmi31 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KHashmi316's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1043 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27348 Glad to hear that ! Thanks for posting back -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "KHashmi316" <KHashmi316.1evevz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:KHashmi316.1e...

Populate data in cell by looking at another cells data
Hi Everyone, Hope I find you well. I'm not even sure how to go about this, so I hope that someone can shed some light. I have a serial number in one cell eg '80199DD270238' where 'DD' is code for another value, in this case 'DD' = 'BLUE'. How can I automatically populate a cell with the value 'BLUE' by looking at the serial number. Many thanks for any help you can provide. Best Regards Gazza Hi if the characters are alsways at the same place use =IF(MID(A1,6,2)="DD","Blue","other color") if they could be at ...

Sum dependant on '1' value in another column
Hi, Let's say I have a '1' or nothing in column 'L' and a time in seconds in column 'B'. The '1' means the time is a legitimate one. Can I do a sum of all the 'legitimate' times in column 'B' based on whether there is a corresponding '1' in column 'L'? Is there a formula that will allow me to do that? Sorry for the ignorance of the question but it is late and I am struggling to make this spreadsheet work for me. Thanks in advance, Dave Hi DL, Look at the SUMIF function in Excel help. Try: =SUMIF(L1:L10...

Problem on junk mail list for Outlook 2003
Dear All My outlook 2003 is connected to MS exchange 2003 server, In past, I will add some email address to junk e-mail list using web browser, but now I cannot add in junk e-mail list use web browser now, it show "Unable to add the list, The maximum size for the list is 1024 entries" or " A error occured procured your Junk mail lists, You are over the size limited on the server". But If I add the email address to junk e-mail list using MS outlook 2003, the list can can update to web-base now, How can I solve this problem Rgds Alan OWA supports fewer than Outloo...

is it possible to execute write to the fields in another .xsl form a macro in another .xsl? e.g. some way to load another .xsl into an .xsl macro and write to its data? #2
is it possible to execute write to the fields in another .xsl form a macro in another .xsl? e.g. some way to load another .xsl into an .xsl macro and write to its data? ...

Automatic Link to another workbook
I have a workbook created that, every time I open it, I get the question: Do you want to update the automatic link to data in another workbook? I didn't consciously set up a link and I don't want to get this message. How do I find this link and break it so I will not continue to get this message? Any help is appreciated. Close any other Excel workbooks you have open and do a "Find" for :\ (colon backslash). If you have several worksheets in your workbook, ask Excel to search the entire workbook by selecting find within "Workbook" instead of "Sheet&quo...

Problem with #name
Dear All , I am having a problem with the excel. In column 2, I have a set of data which consists of two data 1) "- Cardburry Taste Good (C)" 2) "- Cardburry Taste Bad (M)" 3) "- Cardburry Taste Moderate (K)" When I open the csv files in excel , the data 2) and 3) converted to "#name?" but data 1) is ok. I have made some research if i replace data 2) and 3) with (C) to replace with (M) and (K) ,Everthing is fine .. My question is what is (C) ? Is it a excel formula ? Looking forward for your kindly answer Thanks Ujoon Hi the problem is the minus si...

Need help with deploying the integration system at client's site
Hi Guys, Well, the project (Microsoft CRM - Syspro Integration) that I have been working on is finally over. I have the entire system up and running at my side. Now I have to deploy it at our client's site and I need some help with that. Here are the details: My office machine has Windows XP Professional OS and I did not have another machine running Windows 2000 Server OS which is required to install Microsoft-CRM Server and Microsoft BizTalk Server when I started this project. So I used Microsoft Virtual PC (VPC) in which I have Windows 2000 Server OS running. I installed Microso...

Problem Pinning a Website to the IE8 icon on the Win7 Taskbar
I posted this message a couple of weeks ago, but the problem persists I have two brand new Win7 home premium 64 computers, each with IE8 installed and the icon on the taskbar. I want to pin some frequently accessed web links to the IE8 icon on the taskbar. The process I use is as follows: 1. Enter the desired website=92s address in the IE8 address bar, and access the site. 2. Left click the address in the IE8 address bar and drag the address down to atop the Taskbar=92s IE8 icon. That=92s it. But when I use this identical procedure on the two computers, I succeed on one a...

Copying from one ListControl to Another...
Hello everyone, I have been studying how List Controls work, and now I have two List Controls, A and B. Both of the list controls are in Report_View and they both have the same # of columns. What I would like to do is copy each entry of A into B. I use CListCtrl::GetItem(..) to get the item, and I use CListCtrl::InsertItem(..) to insert the item into B. However, this is not working. It is only inserting the first subitem. Is it possible to copy the entire item i.e, subitems 0-2 from CListCtrl A into CListCtrl B? Thanks ...

Sending Problems #2
I am having trouble with my outgoing mail, and my ISP is not accepting my login to the SMTP server. I have raised a problem, with them but while I await them fixing it, I have configured outlook 2003 to use a different account to send. My problem is that the faulty account is attempting to send some read receipts (I think) and is constantly failing. How do I flush the sending on this account? (There is nothing in my outbox) Paul <nothanks@btopenworld.com> wrote: > My problem is that the faulty account is attempting to send some read > receipts (I think) and is constantly...

Another question about IF(COUNTIF) checks in Excel
<Tiff1618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:219EB429-F90A-406E-A208-5C787ED70467@microsoft.com... > > Hey again, > > > > Is there a formula I can use to figure out if there is one specific phrase > > in a selection? > > > > I'm updating the attendance prgram at the school that I work at. Every > > student has their own attendance sheet in Excel, and each sheet sort of > > looks > > like this: > > > > |Monday| > > Period 1:| A | (A=Absent; S=Seat time) > > Per...

Another If/Ten
HI all. Trying to use IF/THEN to look at Column A on one sheet, if any cell in that column equals today() would like cells from that row to fill in another sheet. Is this possible? Any ideas on how to make that happen?? Thanks. Flue. Maybe you can use format|Conditional formatting. Select the range to color (I used A2:X999). With A2 the activecell, I did: format|conditional formatting formula is: =($a2=today()) and give it a nice format Brian Bennett wrote: > > HI all. > > Trying to use IF/THEN to look at Column A on one sheet, if any cell in that > column equal...

How can I open a file saved in another version of Publisher?
I have Publisher 2000 and I am trying to open a .pub file but the message says it cannot open because the file is save in a different version of Publisher. Is there a way to open the file in Publisher 2000? Any help would be greatly appreciated. YvetteR wrote: > I have Publisher 2000 and I am trying to open a .pub file but the > message says it cannot open because the file is save in a different > version of Publisher. Is there a way to open the file in Publisher > 2000? Any help would be greatly appreciated. More than likely, this file was created in Publisher 2002 or 2003. Y...

Navigation problem
I've got an XML doccument that has the structure: <Data> <inc_date value="28 Feb 2009" /> <inc_id1 value="2604" /> <inc_id2 value="0" /> <KF_LiveDbMode value="no" display="Training" /> <errorDescription value="" /> <errorUserAdvice value="" /> <KF_ReturnNumber value="0" /> <FRSIncidentNumber value="20090228-2604.0" /> <OriginOfCallDesc value="POL PW - CURRENTLY TAKING OUR CALLS" /> <FRSId value="JK&qu...

Another Gag thread
What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral? One less drunk at the funeral. The mayor of New Orleans was asked about his position on Roe vs. Wade. He said he didn't really care how people got out of the city. -- * "AB" <AB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B46FD0D-3AA8-4D81-B90A-3FB512EE1F8F@microsoft.com... What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral? One less drunk at the funeral. By looking at a picture of a person, you have to decide if he is a computer geek or a serial k...

Exchange 2003 mail delivery problem
Hi group, I have one strange problem with our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (on SBS 2003). User complained that she didn't get an e-mail from business partner. I've checked the Message Tracking Log and there is such information: 2010.04.20 23:17 SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing 2010.04.20 23:17 SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advance Queue 2010.04.20 23:17 SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer 2010.04.20 23:17 SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing 2010.04.20 23:17 SMTP: Non-Delivery Report (NDR) Generated Other e-mails (from the same email address) wh...

Problems reading Spanish character set
I use outlook mail with word as the editor running on Windows XP. I have a Spanish keyboard. If I go to Control Panel-> Date, Time,Language,Regional Options-> Add Other Languages ->Languages-> Text Services and Input Languages->Details I get the following settings: Default Input Language: Spanish (traditional sort) Installed Services-: ES Spanish (International Sort) Advanced Text Services lnk Correction Keyboard Spanish Now, when I type, all is wel...

Referencing another field
Hello, I have a Combobox field called "WorkerID" on a form. This field is not tied to the Forms data source. It is pretty much floating, no control source, but it does have a Row Source Type, Select Query that pulls Worker IDs form a table called "tbl_WorkerIDs". This table has both WorkerIDs and WorkerNames. I want to add another floating combobox field to the form to display the WorkerNames. So if I change the combobox WorkerID I need the WorkerName to change automatically. How do I configure the WorkerName combobox to look at the WorkerID field and upda...

Upgrade to another another language
Is it possible to upgrade the CRM to change the language? I know there is a Dutch disk kit (T07-00218), but can I install this version over an existing English CRM. It is important that all the user data is remains unaltered. Can somebody help me. Thanks, Bernard Bernard, Installing another language version of crm over an existing implementation will not work. You will need to reinstall crm. Exporting customizations and importing again should not be possible, because of the language code in the xml file. But when you change the language codes in the xml file to the correct value the...

PSet Problem
Some time ago (a couple of years ago I think?) I reported a problem with the GDI SetPixel function (and also with the VB Pset function which uses it) when Vista is not running in Aero. When Pset (or SetPixel) is used whilst Vista is not running in Aero then it fails to draw the pixel if bit 8 is set in the value you pass it for the X coordinate (the Y coordinate is okay in this respect). I've just tried it again and the problem is still not fixed (at least on the copies of Vista on my own two machines, both of which are up to date and one of which is an early version and one ...