Administrative Tools

Windows XP SP3 machine.  When logged in to a Windows Domain network
with Power User privileges, all entries (shortcuts) in the
Administrative Tools menu (Control Panel/Performance and
Maintenance/Administrative Tools) do not work.  Right clicking any
entry and selecting Properties only shows General and Shortcut tabs.
The Security tab is missing.  The shortcut tab indicates the shortcut
is invalid.  When logged in as the local computer administrator, all
Administrative Tools menu entries work properly.  On other equally
configured computers on the network and logged in as a network user
(with Power User privileges), all Administrative Tools menu entries
work properly.

How can I get the Administrative Tools menu entries working properly
on the one computer noted above?  Thanks and Happy New Year!
--
System Administrator
Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning

0
sysadmin

"System Administrator" <sysadmin.removethis@sprottewatson.com> said this in
news item news:4b3d12b1.174434250@msnews.microsoft.com...
> Windows XP SP3 machine.  When logged in to a Windows Domain network
> with Power User privileges, all entries (shortcuts) in the
> Administrative Tools menu (Control Panel/Performance and
> Maintenance/Administrative Tools) do not work.  Right clicking any
> entry and selecting Properties only shows General and Shortcut tabs.
> The Security tab is missing.  The shortcut tab indicates the shortcut
> is invalid.  When logged in as the local computer administrator, all
> Administrative Tools menu entries work properly.  On other equally
> configured computers on the network and logged in as a network user
> (with Power User privileges), all Administrative Tools menu entries
> work properly.
>
> How can I get the Administrative Tools menu entries working properly
> on the one computer noted above?  Thanks and Happy New Year!
> --
> System Administrator
> Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning
> Vista, CA

If things work under one account and don't under another then you're dealing
with a permission issue. Find out which folder the problem shortcuts reside
in, then check who has what type of access to this folder. If this makes no
sense to you then your server/network administrator would be able to assist
you.

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 9:39:14 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Pegasus.  I am the computer systems
administrator at this location.  I have no clue where the shortcuts
for the Administrative Tools menu are located.  Please point me to
them so I can check the user's privileges to them.  Strange how this
is only on one of our 18 machines.

--
System Administrator
Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning
Vista, CA

0
sysadmin
12/31/2009 11:14:32 PM
You right-click the shortcut, then left-click the General tab to see the
shortcut's location.

"System Administrator" <sysadmin.removethis@sprottewatson.com> said this in
news item news:4b3d2fbe.181871171@msnews.microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the quick response, Pegasus.  I am the computer systems
> administrator at this location.  I have no clue where the shortcuts
> for the Administrative Tools menu are located.  Please point me to
> them so I can check the user's privileges to them.  Strange how this
> is only on one of our 18 machines.
>

> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:39:14 +0100, "Pegasus [MVP]"
> <news@microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>"System Administrator" <sysadmin.removethis@sprottewatson.com> said this
>>in
>>news item news:4b3d12b1.174434250@msnews.microsoft.com...
>>> Windows XP SP3 machine.  When logged in to a Windows Domain network
>>> with Power User privileges, all entries (shortcuts) in the
>>> Administrative Tools menu (Control Panel/Performance and
>>> Maintenance/Administrative Tools) do not work.  Right clicking any
>>> entry and selecting Properties only shows General and Shortcut tabs.
>>> The Security tab is missing.  The shortcut tab indicates the shortcut
>>> is invalid.  When logged in as the local computer administrator, all
>>> Administrative Tools menu entries work properly.  On other equally
>>> configured computers on the network and logged in as a network user
>>> (with Power User privileges), all Administrative Tools menu entries
>>> work properly.
>>>
>>> How can I get the Administrative Tools menu entries working properly
>>> on the one computer noted above?  Thanks and Happy New Year!
>>> --
>>> System Administrator
>>> Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning
>>> Vista, CA
>>>

>>If things work under one account and don't under another then you're
>>dealing
>>with a permission issue. Find out which folder the problem shortcuts
>>reside
>>in, then check who has what type of access to this folder. If this makes
>>no
>>sense to you then your server/network administrator would be able to
>>assist
>>you.
>>

> --
> System Administrator
> Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning
> Vista, CA

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 11:34:44 PM
Thanks, Pegasus!  All resolved now.  The Power Users group had
sufficient privileges in the Administrative Tools folder but those
privileges had not propagated to the contents of the folder.  Once I
propagated the privileges down, the menu items worked for the domain
user.

Thanks, again, and Happy New Year!

--
System Administrator
Sprotte + Watson Architecture and Planning
Vista, CA

0
sysadmin
1/1/2010 12:05:14 AM

"System Administrator" <sysadmin.removethis@sprottewatson.com> said this in
news item news:4b3d3bb6.184935828@msnews.microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Pegasus!  All resolved now.  The Power Users group had
> sufficient privileges in the Administrative Tools folder but those
> privileges had not propagated to the contents of the folder.  Once I
> propagated the privileges down, the menu items worked for the domain
> user.
>
> Thanks, again, and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the feedback.

0
Pegasus

Professional Service Tools
Microsoft Dynamics - GP v9 It's not specified in the help doc's but can someone confirm that the "Inventory Reconcile" for Professional Service Tools will only work under "sa"? I get these error messages when I try the reconcile using a user account with full rights to the complete tool set: 1. Cannot find the object "TAIVRec" does not exist or you do not have permissions. 2. The stored procedure ivReconcileSearch returned the following results: DBMS: 1088, Micorosft Dynamics GP: 0. ....and it works perfectly fine when I log-in as "sa&quo...

Administrative permissions
I am having some problems with permissions related to administration of our EX 2003 server. If the administrator is not a domain admin exchange errors when attempting to add or modify a user. I understand that re-running domain prep can resolve this issue. I am wondering if this is the best method or should I look elsewhere for the solution. hi, May I know what the error is? Are your exch and GC not in the same machine? why don't you give the administrator member of domain admin or exch full admin? have you tried log on with an account that have full exch admin right? check adminis...

Exchange 2000 (Admin tools) on W3K
I am currently in the process of upgrading all our Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows 2003 Domain Controllers. I do not plan to upgrade our Exchange 2000 servers to 2003 anytime in the near future. I had Exchange 2000 installed on the Domain Controllers for adding users with mailboxes, but if I understand correctly I can not install Exchange 2000 on the W3K box. Do I need to install the W3K Admin tools and Exchange 2000 on a workstation and use that for AD user administration, or is there another solution? -- T On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:26:04 -0800, "T" <T@discuss...

Office tools
My envelope and label feature doesn't work. Help Crystal ball isn't working today. Maybe you can fire-up your brain and give more information so the people here have a clue WTF you're talking about! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "alicia" <alicia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE1CD3FC-06B3-4900-B7FA-158642B23035@microsoft.com... > My envelope and label feature doesn't work. Help Alicia, What Michael said (in his own style) is that the ...

Why wont Solver apper in tools?
I checked the box to load solver, but it will not appear under tools? When I look in my Add In folder there appears to be no files. Is this why it wont load? If so where do I get Solver and other Add In's from? Depending on how it was installed, you may need the media in your CD/DVD ROM when you add this. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ----------------...

Administrator
In POS2K9, is there a way to install a role that is almighty, like an adminstrator? -- JWray Sawtooth Technology by default doesn't the manager have full access "JWray" wrote: > In POS2K9, is there a way to install a role that is almighty, like an > adminstrator? > -- > JWray > Sawtooth Technology From the Help Menu Allow administrative access Certain tasks in Microsoft Dynamics POS fall into the category of system administration and must be allowed or denied for each employee. These include: Create backups of the store database, Perform other database ope...

global suggestions tool improvements
It is nice you have the global suggestions tool but it could be significantly improved with the following changes. 1. I would like to get a list of suggestions for a module without doing a bunch of searches. I might see a suggestion I wasn't specifically thinking of that would be benefical to me too. 2. It requires me to sign on a second time when submitting a suggestion - it shouldn't do that. 3. It wants to end my session with Customer Source after I submit a suggestion. I might actually want to make multiple suggestions and/or continue my session in Customer Source for other ...

Installing Exchange Management Tools
I have Windows XP sp1 and I want to install the Exchange Management Tools on my workstation. We have AD Win2k3 running in Native 2000 Mode. We currently have Exchange 5.5 running and have the ADC set up to replicate the Exchange Directory to Active Directory. On my workstation, I have installed IIS with SMTP and WWW service. I already have the Adminpak.msi installed and can browse active directory with no problem. When I go to install the Exchange Management Tools, I only get the option to upgrade Exchange. I can't select Custom and then choose the Exchange Management Tools. ...

Where is the Administrative Note field gone ?
Hi there. Just going thru an upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 SP1 and have a question from one of our helpdesk admins. In our 5.5 environment we were putting little support notes about DLs - who asked for it to be created, the date, who has authority to be added/change the members, original System Request #, etc. Where is this field now in AD U&C now ? Did the Advanced Features, no luck. The only way to see them is thru the old 5.5 admin tool, but once we drop the 5.5 server we're kind of stuck. We don't want to use the Notes field because that's where we store i...

removing active dir role on my exchange2k3 box and rename "administrator" account
Hi, Currently, my exchange 2k3 box is also my DC, We migrated from nt4 so currently, i still have my NT 4 server machines tied up. When i finished joining all users to the new domain, I will convert my NT machines to 2k3 to serve as DC. My questions are: 1) Is it ok if I remove the DC role in my exchange box after I install a new DC machine? 2) I used the administrator account to install exchange 2003, can I rename the administrator account w/o affecting exchange? Thanks ...

Tool Bar In Excel With Macros
Hello, Im trying to create a toolbar that takes you through a large report, it contains a 'Home' button which returns you to the index tab (Thats an easy on!) a 'Last Sheet' button that returns you to the previous tab and a 'Next Sheet' button which takes you to the next tab. What's the easiest way to get this to work, and how woul i go bout writing a script to make it work? Thanks Mike, Assigne these macros to two buttons: Sub LastSheet() On Error Resume Next Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Index - 1).Activate End Sub Sub NextSheet() On Error Resume Next Worksheet...

Contract Administration
*** Cliffs: Is there a way that we can use the Evergreen feature, and have the Smooth Billing box unchecked so that all billings (which are created at beginning of the month) are for services rendered in that month. *** ------------------ Full Description ---------- We are testing various features within the Contract Administration module and have some questions with respect to its functionality. Generally, we have service contracts which begin throughout the month. Ideally, we would bill for monthly service on the 1st day of the month. That is, a bill for the full month of Sep...

Timesheet Administration
Hi guys, As an administrator, I'm looking to find out how to delete 'In Progess' timesheets for people within our department. Bascially we have some people who have left the company without submitting their timesheet. How can I arrange to delete this timesheets? Cheers Shane Your probably talking about Project Server? Best to repost on the newsgroup dedicated to Project Server: microsoft.public.project.server. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 21/01/10 01:34, Shane_H wrote: > Hi guys, > > As an administrator, I'm looking to find out ...

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Where do I locate on my computer the "The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool "? Sol Do a search for MRT.exe . It should be in your System32 folder -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "S1L1Y1" <s1l1y1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23cI5JAbeKHA.6000@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Where do I locate on my computer the "The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software > Removal Tool "? > Sol > Thank You. Now how ...

Account Administrator
I want delegate responsibility for one of our OU (Organizational Unit). Is there a possibility to create Account Administrator only for one OU? I do not want delegate the Administration of other OU. How to solve such a small problem? MarcusB Howdie! On 10.03.2010 10:32, MarcusB wrote: > I want delegate responsibility for one of our OU (Organizational Unit). > Is there a possibility to create Account Administrator only for one OU? > I do not want delegate the Administration of other OU. How to solve such > a small problem? Sure - create a custom security group f...

Creating an Administrative User for the Sales Pages
I need to create an Administrative type User to administer the content on the Sales Pages. This person needs to have the ability to make changes to the Sales Pages and have the changes reflected on the pages for all other Users in the Sales Department. An example of a change would to add a column to the Customer List (Sales >> Customer >> View Customer Pane) and have it show up on everyone else’s page. Help… ...

schema comparison tool
Looking for a good, free tool to compare schema and objects across servers. Have a dozen+ servers that are running different schemas and need to identify differences. I've done a search here on the forum, but most threads on this subject are from two or more years ago. Want to know if there is a new development in this area. http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/sql-server/41704/Schema-Comparison-Checker Appreciatively, MrTexasFreedom On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:27:50 GMT, "MrTexasFreedom" <u64079@uwe> wrote: >Looking for a good, free tool to compa...

Administrator has no priviledges
When I log on as administrator I apparently do not have administrator priviledges I downloaded a Quicken Update today with no problem but when I tried to install it as user and was told I needed administrator priviledges - when I logged off and on as administrator and tried to install it I got the same message - that I needed administrator priviledges. I tried to reinstall an original version of Quicken from a saved installation file and received a similar message. That I did not have priviledges. Same thing - logged on as Administrator I tried to install Acronis True Image...

Quote Template tool
Hello , Do you want to Create a quote template or copy quote for repeated use?. Please drop a email to know more info on Quote Template tool. Regards, Manick manick.m@hotmail.com ...

InterOrg Synchronization tool
What are the limitations for the InterOrg Sync Tool. (free busy sync, etc). THe documentation I've been reading really doesn't provide much info in terms of what can/can't be done. THanks ...

No Administrator
I have a Dell laptop with Vista Home Basic on it. It restrated once and when it turned back on it turned my account that was the administrator account into a guest account. The other account on my laptop was also turned to a guest account. I tried typing administrator into the user name on the sign in page and it told me that the account has been deactivated and to contact my system administrator. none of my account are administrator accounts and my laptop won't let me make one an administrator because you need an administrator password and won't give me a space to type it. ...

Great Plains 8.0 should offer Project Series Tools
Great Plains 8.0 should offer Project Series Tools. With 1,500+ ongoing projects, I need Contract ID Modifier and Project ID Modifier tools. Anyone familiar with such a tool? Thanks, Kurt ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busines...

Tracking Exchange administrator access to others email??
Hi All I'm running Exchange 2000. Do you know of a way to track wheter other Admins are checking others users emails? I know that anyone with Domain Admin privledges can check anyone elses' email very easily. is there an event logged? or some other trackign utility that can tell me who is checking whom's email? Thank you! Jack Black ...

SBS Exchange Full/View-Only Administrator rights
After creating the following registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EXIFS\Parameters] "DriveLetter"="M" and logging on as Administrator (Built-in account for administering the computer/domain) Windows Explorer displays: M:\XXXX\MBX\Xxxxx is not accessible. Access is denied. during attempts to navigate to any private mailbox other than Administrator's. Although the following apparently alludes to a solution for my problem: Determining the Type of User When a user attempts to access an object in the Exchange store, bef...

Options Choice in Tools Menu
Word 2003 - The 'Options' choice in the 'Tools' Menu has disappeared. Anyone know how to get it back. I have found an answer for Word 2007 but not Word 2003. Help! See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/RestoreMenuCmd.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "tess" <tess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B21B84A-6F41-4476-B253-57B0C78CA514@microsoft.com... > Word 2003 - The 'Options' choice in the 'Tools' Menu has disappeared. > ...