A 'Hidden' Hidden Folder

Firstly I apologise for the long story but I feel you may understand more
with the whole picture...

I have recently built up 5 XP desktops using a multi-cast ghost image so all
images are the same, also all desktops are completely identical as they are
part of the same batch.

I have just recently had to stop setting up the users accounts after logging
on as the users for the computers as I've come across something I'm now
unable to solve.

The first users account was setup on the first computer, and worked exactly
as it should. The second and third made me step back and realise the
problem... The corporate wallpaper wasn't being displayed, nor the corporate
screensaver.

I checked and had a colleague double check the 2nd and 3rd users weren't in
a domain group to bypass the group policy, which they weren't and no other
groups were created on the computers which would do this locally.

I remembered something like this happening in the past and it was down to
the same issue as back then. The hidden folder in the root drive called
'desktop' where the image and screensaver file is not there. I have tried
creating a new folder there as a test called 'desktop' to overwrite it, but
the folder won't let me overwrite it, as the user with no admin rights or as
a domain or local administrator.

Here is the most mind-boggling part... it's meant to be a hidden folder
(which appeared as hidden and worked fine on the first desktop), however even
after setting it to show hidden files and folders and to show hidden system
files, it still doesn't appear.

I can't issue out these desktops without this working.

Any ideas of what is causing this?

"Stampie" <Stampie@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item
> Firstly I apologise for the long story but I feel you may understand more
> with the whole picture...
>
> I have recently built up 5 XP desktops using a multi-cast ghost image so
> all
> images are the same, also all desktops are completely identical as they
> are
> part of the same batch.
>
> I have just recently had to stop setting up the users accounts after
> logging
> on as the users for the computers as I've come across something I'm now
> unable to solve.
>
> The first users account was setup on the first computer, and worked
> exactly
> as it should. The second and third made me step back and realise the
> problem... The corporate wallpaper wasn't being displayed, nor the
> corporate
> screensaver.
>
> I checked and had a colleague double check the 2nd and 3rd users weren't
> in
> a domain group to bypass the group policy, which they weren't and no other
> groups were created on the computers which would do this locally.
>
> I remembered something like this happening in the past and it was down to
> the same issue as back then. The hidden folder in the root drive called
> 'desktop' where the image and screensaver file is not there. I have tried
> creating a new folder there as a test called 'desktop' to overwrite it,
> but
> the folder won't let me overwrite it, as the user with no admin rights or
> as
> a domain or local administrator.
>
> Here is the most mind-boggling part... it's meant to be a hidden folder
> (which appeared as hidden and worked fine on the first desktop), however
> even
> after setting it to show hidden files and folders and to show hidden
> system
> files, it still doesn't appear.
>
> I can't issue out these desktops without this working.
>
> Any ideas of what is causing this?

What do you see when you type these commands in a Command Prompt:

dir /a c:\Desktop
cacls  c:\Desktop
cd  /d  c:\Desktop

0
Pegasus

Search folder with no categories in O2003?
I have not used Outlook for some years, and now I am using Outlook 2003 at work. I would like to categorize my e-mails, and then use search folders to find the mails of different categories. So far, so good. However, to catch the mails I have not categorized I would like to create a search folder that catches mails that has not yet been assigned to any categories. Can this be done? I _could_ of course simply use folders instead of categories, but that would prevent me from effectively filtering mails which may be relevant to multiple categories. Did you try a search folder using the Advanc...

Phone Message? Folder Customization?
My office is switching from GroupWise to Outlook. Is there a phone message form for outlook that I can download from somewhere? Also, outlook will not save my viewing preferences. Example, when I tell it not to group inbox messages, if I switch folders and then go back, outlook changes the view back to the default. What could be the cause? Any help would be appreciated. I guess I should specify that we are switching to Outlook Exchange 2003. Thanks "La Vonna" wrote: > My office is switching from GroupWise to Outlook. Is there a phone message > form for outlook th...

Rename all folder names to lowercase
How to rename all folder names to lowercase. All examples found with google faild. Anna Hi Anna, Windows doesn't do case sensitive names so you must go through an intermediate name. For example... # Get all folders in the current folder containing upper-case # characters in the name Get-ChildItem | ?{ $_.PsIsContainer -And $_.Name -CMatch "[A-Z]" } | %{ # Get the lower case version of the name $Name = $_.Name.ToLower() # Rename the item to a temporary name, using PassThru to return # the renamed item $TempItem = Rename-Item -Path $_.F...

How to create a hidden message in a folder
Hi there, the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of the mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive its contents. I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the Associated Contents Table but i dont know how. Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook client? on the exchange server? I appreciate any help Regards Davide You cannot create a hidden message manually. You must use code. Perhaps = the easiest method is to use CDO 1...

Outlook public folder as plant log?
Im not real savvy abt what public folders are and what things they can be used for. I will Google it but in meantime would a public folder be a good "tool" for keeping track of a running log of events and communications in the maint dept of a factory? Can someone point me to some neat uses of public folders? ...

Keeping Folders Uncollapsed
I'm running OL 2007 under Vista. I love the new search gui/capabilities. I usually read my messages in the preview window. When I download new messages, the middle window (messages headers sorted by folder), has started appearing with the folders collapsed. I right click and expand the folders, but it used to display with the folders expanded. Is there a way to leave the folders expanded? I hope I have described the issue clearly. Thanks, Dennis ...

folder browsing
vb.net I want to use a system dialog to return the path to a folder the user selects. I need the ability set the default folder and create a folder too. It would also be helpful from a less clicks stand point if the default folder could be expanded so the user doesn't have to. I found FolderBrowserDialog which does what I want except for a few things. It does not expand the default folder which is a problem because if the user creates a folder, a new folder is created named "New Folder" beneath the default folder but since the default folder is collapsed, the ...

Which permissions do I need to delete System Folders (from within
I cannot delete any System Folder from within ESM (from within ESM I go to the Public Folder Tree under the Folders server which resides under one of our Administrative Groups and then I right click the public folder node and choose "view System Folders" and then right click a System Folder and select the 'delete' option). When I do this a dialog box pops up, prompting me to fill in my username and password. When I fill in my credentials the box pops up again, and so on. I am an Exchange full Administrator and a Domain Admin as well. I even tried it with my Domain A...

Short Cuts to file folders
How do I create short cuts to favorite file folders in the new Vista OS -- Eric R Right-click any folder or file, click create shortcut, drag it to where ever you want it. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Eric R" <Eric@olvs.org> wrote in message news:F9744467-54E4-4254-B604-40B727600B2A@microsoft.com... > How do I create short cuts to favorite file folders in the new Vista OS > -- > Eric R ...

hidden sheets
Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets. The reason i ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to navigate through the workbook. Hi, Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code. Mike "Soccerboy83" wrote: > Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, a...

Create top level folder in Outlook 2002?
I'm trying to configure Outlook 2002 to service all the email accounts that I use and I'm having a problem. Two of my accounts are HTTP protocol, and they appear in my Folder List as top level folders. Another of my accounts is POP3, and it appears under my Personal Folders. I'd like to create a top level folder for it. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom? pop is delivered to your default message store - http and imp accounts have separate folders because they are copies of your server-based message store. You could use rules to move the messages to a new message store, ...

public folders #44
Hi, I'm set as the owner + I have full rights to an public folder on our exhange server, but I can't change the rights on the files in that folder no matter what I do, is there a way to reset the rights on force the rights on the files/subfolders? I have already tried the regular things like "allow inheritable permissions..." and "reset permissions on all child objects" + replacing ownership on all child objects. Thanks if i understand this correctly, you have a folder called A (as example) and under A you have subfolders called 1 2 and 3 that you want to h...

Setting Public Folder Permissions (Exchange 2003)
We have a public folder on our Exchange server that stores all of our client contact information. I know that there is a way to assign permissions (Owner, Editor, etc) to the other Exchange users. I did this once or twice when we were on Exchange 5.5. How would I do that on Exchange 2003? It is in the Exchange Tasks of each user in AD? Is it something in the Exchange console that I am missing? forgot to send you the link (-: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu __________...

Exchange 5,5 hosted mailboxes cannot be moved if hidden from the address book
Hi all, I have found that when I try to move a mailbox from an exchange 5.5 server using either the AD Users and Computers snapin or the Exchange system manager then it fails IF the mailbox is hidden from the address book. This only happens when the original server is an ex 5.5 box - all works ok if just moving mailboxes between 2003 servers. Anyone experienced the same and found a solution? Thanks, Chris. ...

Archive vs. Personal folders #2
For some reason I now get all of my incoming mail into anInbox in my Archive folders, and not into the Inbox of my Personal folders. It's annoying. What setting did I inadvertently change? Thanks. You changed the default PST file. Post your Outlook version so someone can tell you haw to set it back. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Curt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215d201c45b74$dd0e4390$a601280a@phx.gbl... > For some reason I now get all of my incoming mail into > anInbox in my Archive folders, and not into the Inbox of > my P...

popup when open public folder from system manager
Hi, I always got this popup when open Public Folder from Exchange System Manager: Title : Exchange System Manager The operation completed succesfully. Facility : Win32 ID no. c0070000 Exchange System Manager No error in the Event Viewer... Please advice. Regards Acung have you tried what James Chong mentioned here http:// www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/28432674/re-exchange-system- manag.aspx 1. In adsiedit first verify if your PF tree is a MAPI PF tree and not a general purpose tree. ADSIEDIT.MSC Click Ok. (ADSIEDIT is part of your Windows 2000\2003 Support Tools found on the...

Slow delivery to Personal folders
We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 in the organization and Office 2000 SP3. There is a person who although Outlook opens fine and sends email out, when email is recieved into the Mailbox on the server it just sits there and may take 10 or more minutes before it ends up in the local PST on his computer. Of course if you hit the Send and Recieve it then is delivered to the PST local file but obviously this is not the answer. Any ideas on what to check to get this to deliver in a timely fashion? The exchange is listed in the host file and the IP is correct and we also have made sure th...

Exchange Public Folder
Hi, Is there a way to allow Exchange Public Folders (Task, Email, Schedule & Contact) to be CRM enabled? Thanks Best Regards, Benson Yeung Triware Networld Systems Afraid there is no supported way to do this. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Benson Yeung" <BensonYeung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7868EC93-AC51-4AC3-B106-C43933521580@microsoft.com... Hi, Is there a way to allow Exchange Public Folders (Task, Email, Schedule & Contact) to be CRM enabled? Thanks Best Regards, Benson Yeung Triware Networld Systems Hi Mark, Thanks, ...

Custom Views + hidden columns does seem to work
Hi there, I was hoping you could help with some custom views. I've figured out how to create custom views just fine and have created 6 of them. What I wanted to do next was create an identifier on the spreadsheet that would tell the user which view is currently being used (for both viewing and printing). I tried adding 6 rows at the top of the spreadsheet with the name of each view in one row. I would then hide 5 rows and keep row with the view I want identified visable. Then I would save the view. This works fine if I am only hidding and unhidding rows and columns. ...

Personal Folders Appears Multiple Times
In my Outlook 2003 folder view, Personal Folders appears 4 times with all of the same subfolders and data in each set. It looks like these are just pointers to the same stuff. Is there any way to get rid of the extra sets? Your profile is corrupt. Create a new one under Control Panel->Mail Icon->Show Profiles. Do not copy your old one. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratchin...

Lots of Log files in the MDBDATA Folder
This is on Exchange 2003 SP1 A few days ago there were so many of these I was unable to mount the databases till I cleared out all the logs but the E00.log and the res1-2.logs. What is the deal with these log files, is it a general maint to go in and clean these up every so often? is there a way to stop them from filling up this directory. What you see in there are transaction logs of everything that Exchange does. Think of it as the actual e-mail transactions that take place. Performing a normal online backup of Exchange will clear out all log files that have been committed to the d...

My Outlook 2000 file is hidden
I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still have access to the files but I need to look into the folder. What happened? What do I need to do in order to have the folder accessible? Ans <Ans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago > it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. > Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still h...

IMAP and Search folder in OL2003
Hi, I just migrated to OL2003 and to IMAP based email. There's something strange with search folder (unread mail for instance). It seems that search folders can only be created on local .PST. This is very limitative when you define markers for follow-up and can't see the whole set of message on which you set these markers. Did someone face this ? Is there a workaround ? Thanks a lot for any help. Unless you download messages from the IMAP server they are stored on the server and most servers don't support features such as flags. Download the messages to a local store and y...

Public Folder Mail Icon
How can I set Outlook to show a 'new item' icon in the tray for new mail in a public folder like it does for new mail in the inbox? Thanks much! ...

Copying Data Without Hidden Values
Please excuse a dumb question. I'm sure the answer is buried in the help files somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm running Excel2002. I have a long column of data with many hidden rows. I need to copy this column for a paste operation, but I want to include only the active, visible fields. Every copy process I've tried ends up pasting the hidden rows also. How do I exclude the hidden rows from the copy process? Thanks, OC Oscar, Select the column, then hit F5, click on Special, select Visible Cells Only, OK, then Copy and Paste. HTH, Nikos "Oscar" <oc@sc.rrno...