.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 security update won't install on XP Home KB979906

Got the update yesterday but this update/patch repeatedly fails to
install. I read the articles about it but see no reference to this
problem let alone a solution.

Thanks to all,

J Tinsby

[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

OPTION A:

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979906).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

OPTION B:

See:

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

    How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

   [As of this post, KB318785 hasn't been revised since November 2008 so you
may not find the pertinent information in it.]

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

Download links for .NET Framework Cleanup Tool:

..
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

..
http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

    1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

J Tinsby wrote:
> Got the update yesterday but this update/patch repeatedly fails to
> install. I read the articles about it but see no reference to this
> problem let alone a solution.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> J Tinsby

0
PA
6/15/2010 2:58:27 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"J Tinsby" <none@present.com> wrote in message
> Got the update yesterday but this update/patch repeatedly fails to
> install. I read the articles about it but see no reference to this
> problem let alone a solution.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> J Tinsby

0
Peter

Install add-in using OCT
Hi, Is it possible to automatically install an add-in by using the OCT tool? By that I mean, create an msp file with the tool and then run the install from a command prompt. Or put another way, I want to run automatically another msi file after Outlook is finished installing. Dan ...

import data from works 3.0 on windows 3.1
I am trying to save some files for a woman who's husband just died and left all his business inventory in an old format. The files where created in an old DOS database program called PowerBase. I can export the files as several different formats and open them in Windows 3.1 (on the same machine). I then export them to TAB delimited txt files. The problem is when I transfer them to a "new" machine (windows XPPro) I can't open them in excel. I believe the problem is with the txt encoding type used by Works 3.0 in windows 3.1. If I open them in notepad on the XPPro machi...

1 address differnt users
Hi My wfe and i have one email address but different log ins on our pc. Is there any way of seeing all our emails on our individual logins as if i read an email it doesnt appear on hers ??? Please help Thanks Vince I would have preffered having one email address and both seeing emails on each log in. Is that not possible ? "Vince Averello" wrote: > There some info here that may help: > http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm > > I'd suggest that the two of you get separate email accounts to make things > simpler. > > "SimonH" <S...

Automatic update of links has been disabled
I thought I had removed all the links. Does this message when I open up Excel (2003 and 2007) mean that there are still links in the document, or that there were links previously...and now it's just going to show forever. Either way, how do I get rid of it. I bet you missed some. I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Kevin wrote: > > I thought I had removed all the links. Does this message when I open up Excel > (2003 and 2007) mean that there are still links in the document, or that > there were links previ...

C#.net click event associated with database error
I would like to know what to do to solve the problem listed below: When I am debugging a C#.Net 2008 windows application and click on the 'next' button, I am getting the following error: 'An unexpected error has occurred. The 'Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0'provider is not registered on the local machine'. I think that I may need to change some setting I have in the visual studio.net 2008 professional edition to solve this problem prior to clicking on the 'next' button. I am working on an workstation that is 64 bits, XP operating syste...

net passport
I changd my net passport and now when I enter it in money it tells me it is incorrect. ...

CMFCToolBarComboBoxButton not redrawing after update
Hi, I have a combo box button (CBS_DROPDOWNLIST) with a dynamic content in a toolbar. If I update currently selected item (DeleteItem() + AddItem()) the change will not be reflected until I move a cursor over the box (which causes a redraw). That is, the old/deleted item will be displayed until I move the cursor over the control or drag another window over it. I tried Invalidatexxx() and Redrawxxx() methods on the embedded combobox but without any success. I used to have a combo box in CToolBar and had no such problems so it must be an issue in the FeaturePack library. Any suggest...

net
Dear All , Can you please help in this i'm creating excel sheet for finance purpose and i need the number appear with color for example if the net = +ve (i need it to appear with green color ) and if it is = - neg (i need to appear with red color ) any one can help me with the color thansk for your cooperations -- bn_dubai ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bn_dubai's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492656 You can use Con...

Money 2006 updating for hours
Won't let me process a scheduled transaction, says that I have to wait for update to finish. I have done quck repair, rebooted the computer several times. It won't shut down normally either. I just migrated from 2005 a few days ago. Thanks for your help In microsoft.public.money, armand wrote: >Won't let me process a scheduled transaction, says that I have to wait for >update to finish. I have done quck repair, rebooted the computer several >times. It won't shut down normally either. I just migrated from 2005 a few >days ago. Check that the SSL2 pro...

Outlook and XP Keyboard Access
I just had Windows XP installed on my machine and I am having problems with keyboard access in Outlook 2002. I do not use a mouse and I have my inbox set up with the preview pane. Prior to XP I could get to my inbox with CTRL+Shift+i and then tab around the panes (mail list, preview pane and folders). With XP I can not get a selection in any pane without turning off the preview pane and then turning it on again. Which I then have to repeat every time I use the shortcut to get back to the inbox. This is making me very frustrated. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance! It m...

Notebooks not shutting down after installing WMP 11
I have installed WMP 11 on two notebooks both running XP-SP3. After pressing the On/Off buttons Windows basically closes but hangs up on the last screen in stead of shutting down. I then have to shut down with pressing the button for more than 7 seconds. This problem came up on both Notebooks after installing WMP-11. Anybody aware and possibly having a fix? -- hav Is that with or without running the player? If it's with, it's likely some sort of driver issue. If it's without, it's potentially Network Sharing Service related. -- Speaking for myself only. S...

MFC and .NET
We have a MFC application we are moving to VC 7.0 because we want to use the latest C++ compiler that comes with it. For moving to VC 7.0 we need to install the .NET framework though. My questions are, 1. Has anybody moved thier MFC application to .NET framework? Did you run into any issues? 2. What is the plan for MFC? Is there any end of life for this from Microsoft? Thanks, David I use all of my VC6 MFC apps and DLLs just fine with XP and VS.Net 2003. No need to port your code to .Net at all. WTH "David Mohandas" <david_mohandas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ac...

is it a problem to install 931836 on client *before* updating server?
i'm just wondering if there will be a problem with installing the KB931836 on our XP client machines before doing any other DST updates? i can easily go through and change this if i have to, but i want to know if it will cause that much of a problem in the grand scheme of things. That's the preferred/recommended way, but don't let too much time pass between the clients getting 931836 and your rebasing. Appointments created between the time they get 931836 time zone update to when you rebase may get wrongly rebased. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog lo...

[ANN] Microsoft Auto Update 1.1.2
Hi all, Microsoft Auto Update 1.1.2 is out... time to run the updates :-)) Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour MS Remove "NoSpam" to e-mail me - Retirez "NoSpam" pour m'�crire It is? What does it fix? / Fredrik "Corentin Cras-M�neur" <korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote in message news:1gmzk8r.1inxp0pjxwgd6N%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org... > Hi all, &g...

Money 2004 Install Wizard won't come back :(
I need to find out how to get the initial setup wizard to run. I was going through the initial set up of accounts, but had to stop. I closed Money, assuming that it would save to that point and re-open to where I was. But now when I start money, it does not give me the wizard. It opens to the program home page. I tried uninstalling the program (not that much was entered, so it was no big thing), but it still opens on the money home page when I re-install and open it again. What do I need to do to get it to start fresh???? Please help. Thanks Remove the "FOUR YOU" in my emai...

Authentication between asp.net 2.0 and asp.net 1.1
I am running CRM 3.0 which is running in its own app pool for asp.net 1.1. I've added a virtual directory under the CRM website which runs under a different app pool for asp.net 2.0. This is where I put my custom web pages. Both app pools are running under the NETWORK SERVICE account. Both the CRM website and the virtual directory has windows authentication. My question is why I am prompted to enter my credential when I access the custom page through CRM the first time I access the page? Have I not already been authenticated? Hmm not sure whether this can help. Are you sure you put...

Error Messages in Outlook XP
To All, I have installed then reinstalled Office XP two times. I get an error message when I do a send/receeive in Outlook. The error message is as follows: "Operation failed. Could not find object." What am I missing? Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin ...

Windows XP taskbar problems
I started using Quicklaunch in my taskbar. Someone I switched views and desktop was checked. Once that happened I now get a double wide task bar and nothing I do will take it back to a single wide task bar. All the start menu items bunch up in the right corner. I have unchecked desktop. Now when I uncheck quicklaunch the bar goes to a single line, but I want quicklaunch but not the double width. Any suggestions? You posted that to the wrong newsgroup -- this one is for Outlook :-) Just out of curiosity, though, have you tried dragging the top of the taskbar down until it's y...

Install question (SBS 2003 prem&Sharepoint+ SQL2000 + CRM 1.2)
Currently I have SBS 2003 premium (and its sharepoint- and exchange- services) up and running just fine. Now I should install SQL server 2000 + SP3 for it to be able to continue with the CRM-install. I have the updated CRM-IG chapter 15, however it does not say anything about updating Sharepoint MSDE. When I install SQL 2000 and its SP3, should I choose "Create new databases" or "Upgrade, remove, or add components to an existing instance of SQL Server" Does this affect CRM functionality later? If I choose upgrade, does CRM then install itself on SQL server under...

Windows XP Compatability with Older ATI (Legacy) Software from ATI
I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz with a built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card running 384mb RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have been for quite a while. I have done very little upgrades, even though I know it definately needs alot. I haven't had any problems with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago I downloaded from the ATI website a new driver with a display console adapter for adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three weeks ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping ...

update a table from a form
HELP!!!!! OK, I have an parts inventory database that when the maintenance people need a part, they look up the part and they need to enter a qty that they took. There are also fields that show how many were ordered, received. I have the form set up so that the QtyAvail = [qtyreceived]-[qtyused] and that works fine.....once. I know we shouldn't store calc data in a table, but how can I keep a running total of my inventory and also be able to run a report showing all my parts, their qty's, etc... I'm desperate! Are there any good inventory templates out there? Thanks, Bill R....

VB.net
Hi, I am trying to update a field in a record of a Access Database (whose structure I can not modify). I got this error (translated from italian): "Data types do not match in the expression" = "Tipi di dati non corrispondenti nell'espressione criterio." The code is the following: (myField is a binary field as on Access 2007) 'determine new value Dim newValue() As Byte = ... (valid data) 'write new attributes Dim conn As OleDbConnection = myObj.getConnection Dim cmd As OleDbComman...

Windows XP power management
When I set the power management settings to get it to hibernate or shut off the monitor or hard disk, it just never does it. The settings don't "take effect". I checked to see that the account that I was using was the administrator's account. The "enable hybernate" is selected. I would appreciate any suggestions on getting this to work. It is on my daughter's computer (with a loud fan) and I can always hear it running....... You're in the wrong place. This forum is for Microsoft Dynamics GP assistance. The Windows XP forum is http://www.microso...

SQL connection management in ASP.Net
hi, I have to create a small website in ASP.Net 2.0. I have question about working with SQL connections. What are the best practises? How and where to create and store a connection? I see a few possibilities: - create, open/close a connection on each web page - create a connection on login page and store it on Session - how to create a connection? ie. SqlConnection = new SqlConnection or System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactory factory = System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("System.Data.SqlClient"); System.Data.Common.DbConnection conn = factory.Crea...

Outlook 2003 Cached Exchange Mode Exch Srvr 2000
Originally posted to SBS newsgroups but no answer there as yet and problem getting more urgent!: Original posting and my two updates below: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Getting REALLY strange now... Tried opening my mailbox from another XP Pro client running OL2K3 - exactly the same situation. If I open my mailbox either without using Cached Exchange Mode or via OWA, all the email is there. Problem is that we use OL2K3 in Cached Exchange Mode so that we can utilise the Junk Mail filter - without it there is a lot of crap to wade through... My current assumptions, based on what we have to date are the...