"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile" for a domain user

This one is driving me mad. Ok, here=92s the situation:

PC with XP SP2, joined to a domain. There are 2 users that use this
machine, both log in with their Active Directory logons. Melissa can
log in fine and has never had a problem with this machine.

Linda, however, used the  machine fine for a week or so, then would
get the error:
"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of
this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local
profile. If this problem persists, contact your network
administrator."
...when trying to log in.

So my first instinct was to blow away her locally cached profile. I
did so under System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings,
and deleted her profile. I verified that her profile=92s directory was
gone under C:\Docuemts and Settings\

I had Linda log back in (still we her domain logon), to create a new
local profile. It worked fine for a few days, then the same error.

Ok, so next I get the idea to clone her local profile using Melissa=92s,
since Melissa has never had any issues logging in.

I go System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings, click on
Melissa=92s account, then Copy To. In the =93Copy Profile To=94 I browse to
C:\Documents and settings\Linda as the target. In the =93Permitted to
use=94 section, I went in and added Machine\Everyone

This seemed to work fine. Linda logged in, and sure enough she had the
same desktop as Melissa and all worked fine=85. for about a week. Now
she=92s getting the same error.

What can I try next?

Again, this isn=92t a local user account, so there=92s nothing to delete/
recreate there.
I=92ve tried deleted her locally cached profile and letting recreate
itself.
I=92ve tried cloneing her locally cached profile from another domain
user who has no troubles.
And it's just the one user. Tried several other domain logons on this
machine, all seem to be fine.

I would be really grateful in advance for any suggestions! TIA
0
yerk55

Forgot to add:

all users are set to have local admin rights on this macine (added
machine\Everyone to local Admin group)
0
yerk55
7/2/2010 2:02:07 PM
Perhaps the user is killing power before the system is done saving settin=
gs?

yerk55 wrote:
> This one is driving me mad. Ok, here=92s the situation:
>=20
> PC with XP SP2, joined to a domain. There are 2 users that use this
> machine, both log in with their Active Directory logons. Melissa can
> log in fine and has never had a problem with this machine.
>=20
> Linda, however, used the  machine fine for a week or so, then would
> get the error:
> "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of
> this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local
> profile. If this problem persists, contact your network
> administrator."
> ..when trying to log in.
>=20
> So my first instinct was to blow away her locally cached profile. I
> did so under System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings,
> and deleted her profile. I verified that her profile=92s directory was
> gone under C:\Docuemts and Settings\
>=20
> I had Linda log back in (still we her domain logon), to create a new
> local profile. It worked fine for a few days, then the same error.
>=20
> Ok, so next I get the idea to clone her local profile using Melissa=92s=
,
> since Melissa has never had any issues logging in.
>=20
> I go System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings, click on
> Melissa=92s account, then Copy To. In the =93Copy Profile To=94 I brows=
e to
> C:\Documents and settings\Linda as the target. In the =93Permitted to
> use=94 section, I went in and added Machine\Everyone
>=20
> This seemed to work fine. Linda logged in, and sure enough she had the
> same desktop as Melissa and all worked fine=85. for about a week. Now
> she=92s getting the same error.
>=20
> What can I try next?
>=20
> Again, this isn=92t a local user account, so there=92s nothing to delet=
e/
> recreate there.
> I=92ve tried deleted her locally cached profile and letting recreate
> itself.
> I=92ve tried cloneing her locally cached profile from another domain
> user who has no troubles.
> And it's just the one user. Tried several other domain logons on this
> machine, all seem to be fine.
>=20
> I would be really grateful in advance for any suggestions! TIA

0
Bob
7/2/2010 2:29:06 PM
It seems they leave it powered on at all times. Just logging in and
out as needed

On Jul 2, 10:29=A0am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the user is killing power before the system is done saving settin=
gs?

> yerk55 wrote:
> > This one is driving me mad. Ok, here=92s the situation:
>
> > PC with XP SP2, joined to a domain. There are 2 users that use this
> > machine, both log in with their Active Directory logons. Melissa can
> > log in fine and has never had a problem with this machine.
>
> > Linda, however, used the =A0machine fine for a week or so, then would
> > get the error:
> > "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of
> > this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local
> > profile. If this problem persists, contact your network
> > administrator."
> > ..when trying to log in.
>
> > So my first instinct was to blow away her locally cached profile. I
> > did so under System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings,
> > and deleted her profile. I verified that her profile=92s directory was
> > gone under C:\Docuemts and Settings\
>
> > I had Linda log back in (still we her domain logon), to create a new
> > local profile. It worked fine for a few days, then the same error.
>
> > Ok, so next I get the idea to clone her local profile using Melissa=92s=
,
> > since Melissa has never had any issues logging in.
>
> > I go System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings, click on
> > Melissa=92s account, then Copy To. In the =93Copy Profile To=94 I brows=
e to
> > C:\Documents and settings\Linda as the target. In the =93Permitted to
> > use=94 section, I went in and added Machine\Everyone
>
> > This seemed to work fine. Linda logged in, and sure enough she had the
> > same desktop as Melissa and all worked fine=85. for about a week. Now
> > she=92s getting the same error.
>
> > What can I try next?
>
> > Again, this isn=92t a local user account, so there=92s nothing to delet=
e/
> > recreate there.
> > I=92ve tried deleted her locally cached profile and letting recreate
> > itself.
> > I=92ve tried cloneing her locally cached profile from another domain
> > user who has no troubles.
> > And it's just the one user. Tried several other domain logons on this
> > machine, all seem to be fine.
>
> > I would be really grateful in advance for any suggestions! TIA- Hide qu=
oted text -

yerk55
7/2/2010 2:43:22 PM
I am having the same issue with "some" users. We have 300 local computers
that were converted to AD. This was not a problem. We have 700 remote
computers converted to AD. We have a hand full having this issue. My fear is
that the number is growing. I read a post that this will happen if there are
different User SIDs for the same user name after creating to domain user
profile. I verified that there are 2 SIDs for the affected user. I deleted
the earlier one and have not had the issue since.
With 700 remote computers this would be large task. I need to know what is
triggering this to happen.

"yerk55" wrote:

> It seems they leave it powered on at all times. Just logging in and
> out as needed
>
> On Jul 2, 10:29 am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps the user is killing power before the system is done saving settings?
> >

> > yerk55 wrote:
> > > This one is driving me mad. Ok, here’s the situation:
> >
> > > PC with XP SP2, joined to a domain. There are 2 users that use this
> > > machine, both log in with their Active Directory logons. Melissa can
> > > log in fine and has never had a problem with this machine.
> >
> > > Linda, however, used the  machine fine for a week or so, then would
> > > get the error:
> > > "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of
> > > this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local
> > > profile. If this problem persists, contact your network
> > > administrator."
> > > ..when trying to log in.
> >
> > > So my first instinct was to blow away her locally cached profile. I
> > > did so under System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings,
> > > and deleted her profile. I verified that her profile’s directory was
> > > gone under C:\Docuemts and Settings\
> >
> > > I had Linda log back in (still we her domain logon), to create a new
> > > local profile. It worked fine for a few days, then the same error.
> >
> > > Ok, so next I get the idea to clone her local profile using Melissa’s,
> > > since Melissa has never had any issues logging in.
> >
> > > I go System properties, Advanced tab, User Profiles settings, click on
> > > Melissa’s account, then Copy To. In the “Copy Profile To” I browse to
> > > C:\Documents and settings\Linda as the target. In the “Permitted to
> > > use” section, I went in and added Machine\Everyone
> >
> > > This seemed to work fine. Linda logged in, and sure enough she had the
> > > same desktop as Melissa and all worked fine…. for about a week. Now
> > > she’s getting the same error.
> >
> > > What can I try next?
> >
> > > Again, this isn’t a local user account, so there’s nothing to delete/
> > > recreate there.
> > > I’ve tried deleted her locally cached profile and letting recreate
> > > itself.
> > > I’ve tried cloneing her locally cached profile from another domain
> > > user who has no troubles.
> > > And it's just the one user. Tried several other domain logons on this
> > > machine, all seem to be fine.
> >
> > > I would be really grateful in advance for any suggestions! TIA- Hide quoted text -

> .

I had this exact thing happen on my standalone PC the other day!

I only have one active profile on the PC (besides Administrator), and all
my user settings have taken me over three years to accumulate. -  I was
"gutted"!!

Luckily, I make regular backups of my "ntuser.dat" file in my profile's
folder, and was able to restore it, overwriting the affected "ntuser.dat"
profile, and all was back to normal on reboot.  (Did this using Recovery
Console).

I believe it was caused by one part of the boot / logon process working
faster than another part of it, causing the profile's data file
[ntuser.dat] to become "locked by another process".

I have the following registry setting, so I was surprised at such an
occurrence, as I believe that having this setting would make the
possibility of such a thing happening even more remote.:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system]
"RunLogonScriptSync"=dword:00000001

It had never happened before, and I don't expect it to ever reoccur again.

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"ElmerGo" <ElmerGo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same issue with "some" users. We have 300 local computers
> that were converted to AD. This was not a problem. We have 700 remote
> computers converted to AD. We have a hand full having this issue. My fear
> is
> that the number is growing. I read a post that this will happen if there
> are
> different User SIDs for the same user name after creating to domain user
> profile. I verified that there are 2 SIDs for the affected user. I
> deleted
> the earlier one and have not had the issue since.
> With 700 remote computers this would be large task. I need to know what
> is
> triggering this to happen.
>
> "yerk55" wrote:
>
>> It seems they leave it powered on at all times. Just logging in and
>> out as needed
>>
>> On Jul 2, 10:29 am, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps the user is killing power before the system is done saving
>> > settings?

>> .

0
Tim

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile.. 03-24-10
I came into the office today and got the message "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile." --- I've had this happen once or twice before.. I rebooted and things were fine. This time it didn't work. So, I've been fooling around for like 3 hours setting everything up as I had it previously. I figured out how to get back all my Firefox bookmarks and passwords. They were still stored under my username. Also got back most of my Thunderbird emails.. I lost my sent box and some of my inbox. Got back my Outlook emails as well. I'm only using Outlook mai...

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile.. 02-12-10
I booted up my machine at work today and found the following: "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved." So, it loaded like it was a fresh Windows install pretty much.. Recycle Bin in lower right by clock, the Windows XP tour thing came up, no background, etc. I rebooted and everything is fine.. my background and all settings are there.. Should I be worried about anything? I know these computers are old, but it...