XP ends right after start

Hello,

while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an urgent
cause), I ecperienced this problem:

Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a forced
logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.

Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
(protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?

Thank you for any help!

Best, Emil

0
Emil
5/26/2010 10:19:02 AM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi, Emil.

Sounds like your user accounts are corrupt.
You can try the following options.

1) When booting hit F8 to reach the system troubleshoot menu and chose
the option "Boot to last known-good configuration".
This works just like system restore with the exception that you do not
get to choose the date yourself.

2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
new user account.

3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
console.
While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT

/ Ani

0
Animenia
5/26/2010 12:44:26 PM
Emil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login
> as administrator.
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
> different?
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?

If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR. You
should be able to run it using the method outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

But...

If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
place?!

0
Daave
5/26/2010 10:30:56 PM
On May 26, 6:19=A0am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an urg=
ent
> cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a forc=
ed
> logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
> also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.
>
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

If you see things like:

Windows is starting up
<XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
Logging off
Saving your settings
Saving...
Saving...

It is something completely different.

You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.

0
Jose
5/26/2010 11:18:22 PM
I tried this before, but the effect is the same (immediate log off). Windows
seems to define this defines this as a good configuration, as Log in works.

> 2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
> new user account.

I tried this, too, but logging in as adminsitrator also generates an
immediate log off.

> 3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
> console.
> While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT

If you mean booting to the cammand line: I tried this, but I do not get a
command line, but I get to the normal Windows log in page.

Any ideas?

Emil

"Animenia" <Animenia.4bmkr0@no.email.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi, Emil.
>
> Sounds like your user accounts are corrupt.
> You can try the following options.
>
> 1) When booting hit F8 to reach the system troubleshoot menu and chose
> the option "Boot to last known-good configuration".
> This works just like system restore with the exception that you do not
> get to choose the date yourself.
>
> 2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
> new user account.
>
> 3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
> console.
> While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT
>
> / Ani

0
Emil
5/30/2010 10:15:28 AM
"Daave" <daave@example.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Emil wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
>> urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>>
>> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
>> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
>> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login
>> as administrator.
>> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
>> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
>> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
>> different?
>> Thank you for any help!
>>
>> Best, Emil
>
> Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?
>
> If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR. You
> should be able to run it using the method outlined here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>
> But...
>
> If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
> place?!

Hi Daave,

yes, I am reffering to SR.

The method described in kb/304449 does not work, as I do not get a Command
prompt when selecting this boot option. I get to the Windows log in page
instead.

I tried a SR because my Windows configuration started to act weird in some
details after my last Windows Update, such as not remembering the toolbar
configuration of Word, and the like.

Any ideas?

Emil

0
Emil
5/30/2010 10:23:18 AM
"Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On May 26, 6:19 am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> urgent
> cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> forced
> logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
> also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.
>
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

> If you see things like:
>
> Windows is starting up
> <XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
> Logging off
> Saving your settings
> Saving...
> Saving...

> It is something completely different.

> You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.

Hi Jose,

no way, I do not get the Command prompt after selecting this boot option.
ANy other ideas?

Emil

0
Emil
5/30/2010 10:27:20 AM
Emil wrote:
> "Daave" <daave@example.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Emil wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without
>>> an urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>>>
>>> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
>>> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
>>> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to
>>> login as administrator.
>>> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just
>>> a coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
>>> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
>>> different?
>>> Thank you for any help!
>>>
>>> Best, Emil
>>
>> Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?
>>
>> If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR.
>> You should be able to run it using the method outlined here:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>>
>> But...
>>
>> If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
>> place?!
>
> Hi Daave,
>
> yes, I am reffering to SR.
>
> The method described in kb/304449 does not work, as I do not get a
> Command prompt when selecting this boot option. I get to the Windows
> log in page instead.
>
> I tried a SR because my Windows configuration started to act weird in
> some details after my last Windows Update, such as not remembering
> the toolbar configuration of Word, and the like.

The usual course of action is to identify the particular update and
uninstall it. Then you could post here for more help:

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Regarding System Restore not working, you could always disable (or
uninstall!) Kaspersky. But it is important for you to be able to enter
Safe Mode with Command Prompt. So, when you press F8 repeatedly after
you turn on your PC, do you ever get this menu:

http://79.170.44.116/jpt-solutions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/boot-menu.jpg

If so, you need to use the arrow keys to highligh the correct option and
then press Enter. If not, perhaps there is something wrong with your
keyboard (or you may need to use a different type ... do you use a
wireless keyboard by any chance?).

0
Daave
5/30/2010 12:53:51 PM
On May 30, 6:27=A0am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:cc213216-230f-49e=
8-a91e-1c8f5a054197@e21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
> On May 26, 6:19 am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> > urgent
> > cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> > Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> > forced
> > logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. Thi=
> > also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrato=
r.

> > Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> > coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> > (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> > Thank you for any help!
>
> > Best, Emil
> > If you see things like:
>
> > Windows is starting up
> > <XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
> > Logging off
> > Saving your settings
> > Saving...
> > Saving...
> > It is something completely different.
> > You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.
>
> Hi Jose,
>
> no way, I do not get the Command prompt after selecting this boot option.
> ANy other ideas?
>
> Emil

Does your system cycle through displaying messages in the manner I
described earlier?

Of course you do not get the command prompt.  You issue is you are
unable to login in any mode.

Until you can boot successfully and do some maneuvering, you will not
be getting very far in resolving your problem, so you must boot on
something - like the XP Recovery Console.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available by following the directions in this link:

When you get Recovery Console booted, we will be able to fix your
system.  In the meantime, after you boot the Recovery Console so this:

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r
0
Jose

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Turn off Zero values at the end of the chart
Please can someone tell me how to stop my charts plotting zero values at the end in cases where the chart runs for a longer period than my data? For example, my chart total date range is say Jan 05 to Dec 05, and I have several lines to plot, the longest one extending for the whole 12 month period, but others for shorter periods from say Jan to Jun 05, and Feb to Nov 05 etc. At the moment the way the source data is set up, is that for the line item that ends in June, there are zero values in the column for Jul to Dec 05 and my chart is plotting these zero values, however I want my line to ju...

Money Won't Start
All, I've seen many people posting various problems with getting Money to open. Folks are seeing all kinds of errors and troubling behavior after updating today. Cal posted a fix that seems to work for most cases. Here's what you need to do: Action Required: This can be remedied by removing stories1.gif and stories2.gif from the user WebCache typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Money\12.0\Webcache for Money 2004) Personally, I was getting a C++ Runtime Error on both of my Money files. I uninstalled, reinstalled, updated the DAC, etc. ...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Close button at the end of the transaction.
Hi, everyone. At the end of the transaction tender, i will have to press close in order to start next sale. Is there a way to bypass the press close button?? Thank you!! Yes, in Manager, Options, POS Options, check the box that states "Automatically Close Change Screen". "TJW" wrote: > Hi, everyone. At the end of the transaction tender, i will have to press > close in order to start next sale. Is there a way to bypass the press close > button?? Thank you!! I am using the RMS v1.2 there is no such box in the manage, pos option. Help!! "Catzilla"...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Need help to find right solution
Hi I cant find the right way to complete my task. I have customer table in acces, about 800 records (can be exported to txt, xml excell, whatever). Then I need to create a form, to let user easily choose the customer and add some data to another field. And there is the problem. I cant find a way to easily choose the customer. List field doesnt work well as it takes time to find customer, any searching coul be done but it needs separate worksheet. I was wandering if I could do for example searching customer in another worksheet with button near every record "Add" so user can add pos...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

AfxDaoInit fails on Win XP SP2
Hi, after deinstalling some test applications and then installing the Win XP SP2 a call to AfxDaoInit() fails with a CDaoException. This usually means that the Jet is missing. Windows however reports that the Jet is now part of the system so its not possible to install the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP as well. Any idea how to check the presence of the Jet and solve the issue? Thank you for your time and help. Regards Thomas Trick ...

Outlook XP and VPN
My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? "=?Utf-8?B?UGVycnk=?=" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:915F9EA9-C3F8-42E9-A6E2-611B7AA19773@microsoft.com: > My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. > Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they > see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? What do you mean by "can't ...

UPGRADE XP HOME to XP PRO SP2
I have Windows XP Home, SP3 with latest updates. I purchased Retail Windows PRO with SP2 How do I upgrade my XP home to XP PRO? Either uninstall SP3 from Home Edition or slipstream SP3 into your XP Pro installation media and create a new installation CD. -- -- "LURKER" <feelingdumb@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:uCoY16PdKHA.5228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have Windows XP Home, SP3 with latest updates. > > I purchased Retail Windows PRO with SP2 > > How do I upgrade my XP home to XP PRO? there is very little difference between ...

View only items in the left column that have X's in right columns
I'm sure there is a simple function for this. I have a master list of items in my far left column. The columns to their right use various combinations of the masterlist for which I have placed an X within the column in line/the row of the masterlist on the left. How do I get the program to sort or eliminate both the items or rows not with an X from the master list on the left along with eliminating from view all the other columns but the one selected? I want to be able to print individual reports showing how each individual column matchs up with the master list. HELP I think t...

2000 Deluxe & Windows XP looks for disk at start up.
Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously starts to look for a disk on startup. The msgbox caption is "No Disk" and the message is something like "Msmoney.exe Put disk in drive D:" The program will open after Ignoring, Retrying or Canceling the prompt. Its just annoying. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a command line switch that might fix the issue. Thanks lemo In microsoft.public.money, Lemo wrote: >Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously >starts to look for a disk on startup. The m...

Year end payroll tax update
I see that Microsoft recommends updating to service pack 6 before installing the year end payroll tax update. We are on SP5 and wonder how critical this latest service pack really is. Does anyone know what will happen if we just install the tax update, without installing SP6? Thanks! I was in the same situation and decided to install Service Pack 6 because we do 1099's from Payables and there was a fix in SP6 for them. The install of Service Pack 6 and the Year-End update went well and we haven't had any problems since. >-----Original Message----- >I see that Micro...

Outlook 2002 or XP
I am interested in buying a laptop and having it sync with my desktop when I return home from trips. Is there a way to have Outlook sync all files so that they are identical to the desktop automatically? I don't want to have to import export files each time. I would like both computers on a wireless network to update to the most recent data without manual intervention. Similar to a Ipaq or Pocket PC. Thanks, Dave Dave, Refer to this article from Slipstick: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Chris Schatte use the Office Online web based newsreader here: http://www.micr...

Money 99 and Windows XP SP2
Hi folks. After updating Windows XP with SP2, my old loved Microsoft Money 99 stop working. When I try to open the program, nothing happends. It appears in the processes list for a moment and then disapears. Any idea? Try reinstalling the program, SP2 may have overwritten some settings that Money 99 wanted. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.mic...

Auto Accept Agent and meeting end dates
Hi, We have been using Robert Strong's AutoAccept script and everything hase been working great with scheduling conference rooms until we started testing Exchange 2k3 SP2. With SP2 installed the script does not accept recurring meetings. We started testing the 2k3 Auto Accept Agent, but it does not seem to allow meetings with no end date. Can anyone advise how to get around the no end date problem, or advise how to fix the Robert Strong's autoaccept script to work with SP2? Thanks ...

windows xp & firewall.
Help please--My wife's thinkpad has xp home, serv pack3. No matter how many times I enable windows firewall it always is turned off when I reboot. I go to security center and set it. I also set it thru my wireless connection. But sure enough when I reboot I get the little red shield in the tray telling me no firewall. Any ideas? Thankyou for any and all help. -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ HANGMAN wrote: > Help please--My wife's thinkpad has xp home, serv pack3. No matter > how many times I enable windows f...