pop sound !

I get a pop sound and I checked to find its a "system notification" well
nothing shows up on the screen so where can I check to see what its trying to
notify me of ?
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sixpack wrote:
> I get a pop sound and I checked to find its a "system notification"
> well nothing shows up on the screen so where can I check to see
> what its trying to notify me of ?

How did you find it was a 'system notification'?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
1/13/2010 2:54:11 AM
So are you telling me I didnt ask the right question ? Its what is happening
and what I want to know, how can that be a wrong question !
This is the first time I got no help here !   Oh Well !

In news:6C6AA482-34FB-4CC6-A29F-93B58547AD01@microsoft.com,
sixpack <sixpack@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> So are you telling me I didnt ask the right question ? Its what is
> happening and what I want to know, how can that be a wrong question !
> This is the first time I got no help here !   Oh Well !

There are a few here that you just have to make exceptions for or ignore
them, 6. Sometimes I think they're hoping you'll also mess up your
clarification just so they can redirect the thread to someplace you never
intended to get to. And they should know better, too.  There are some very
helpful and knowledgeable people here but you don't always get to hear from
them.  Then again sometimes it only takes patience and ignoring what are
sill questions.

Actually, "System Notification"s are one area of the sounds I've never
figured out how to track down.  They happen often and much more than a
short, faint "pop" as you call it, can get pretty annoying if there are too
many of them. I know, I replaced it with a voice message one<G>!   It simply
means the "system", your computer system, has been notified of one of a
gazillion different possibilities and it's letting you know that.
   I've replaced most of the system sounds that have any meaning to me with
voice messages instead so that instead of the annoying tadaaa for instance,
I hear "Windows is starting" or something like that. I've done similar for
each one that's worth knowing IMO and simply turned off the others. In
general if it has no meaning to me, I simply remove the sound. If it is
meaningful, I've replaced the .wav files with ones I made that state what
happened in words. Some are pretty handy, espeically on the 'net.
   Should you figure out how to tell what it's connected with, I'd
appreciate hearing back on it.  Personally I'm not sure you can without
doing a LOT of work!

HTH,

Twayne

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> sixpack wrote:
>>> I get a pop sound and I checked to find its a "system notification"
>>> well nothing shows up on the screen so where can I check to see
>>> what its trying to notify me of ?
>>
>> How did you find it was a 'system notification'?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>>      MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>

>> .

0
Twayne
1/18/2010 1:31:22 AM
Thank you Twayne, I understand both your answers.  I wont worry about it
being something I have to worry about now !

"Twayne" wrote:

> In news:6C6AA482-34FB-4CC6-A29F-93B58547AD01@microsoft.com,
> sixpack <sixpack@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > So are you telling me I didnt ask the right question ? Its what is
> > happening and what I want to know, how can that be a wrong question !
> > This is the first time I got no help here !   Oh Well !
>
> There are a few here that you just have to make exceptions for or ignore
> them, 6. Sometimes I think they're hoping you'll also mess up your
> clarification just so they can redirect the thread to someplace you never
> intended to get to. And they should know better, too.  There are some very
> helpful and knowledgeable people here but you don't always get to hear from
> them.  Then again sometimes it only takes patience and ignoring what are
> sill questions.
>
> Actually, "System Notification"s are one area of the sounds I've never
> figured out how to track down.  They happen often and much more than a
> short, faint "pop" as you call it, can get pretty annoying if there are too
> many of them. I know, I replaced it with a voice message one<G>!   It simply
> means the "system", your computer system, has been notified of one of a
> gazillion different possibilities and it's letting you know that.
>    I've replaced most of the system sounds that have any meaning to me with
> voice messages instead so that instead of the annoying tadaaa for instance,
> I hear "Windows is starting" or something like that. I've done similar for
> each one that's worth knowing IMO and simply turned off the others. In
> general if it has no meaning to me, I simply remove the sound. If it is
> meaningful, I've replaced the .wav files with ones I made that state what
> happened in words. Some are pretty handy, espeically on the 'net.
>    Should you figure out how to tell what it's connected with, I'd
> appreciate hearing back on it.  Personally I'm not sure you can without
> doing a LOT of work!
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne

> >> How did you find it was a 'system notification'?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >>      MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>

> >> .
>

> .

How Do I Make My Userform Pop-up At The Begining
HOW DO I MAKE MY USERFORM POP-UP AT THE BEGGINING OF MY SPREADSHEET I. WHEN I OPEN EXCEL THE FIRST THING I SEE WILL BE THE USERFOR -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com We can tell you, but first you have to turn your CAPS LOCK key off. ALL CAPS is usually considered the equivalent of SHOUTING (and is much harder to read). ....Ready? Put this in your ThisWorkbook code module (right-click on the workbook title bar and choose view code): Private Sub Workbook_Open() UserForm1.Show End Sub In article <doller.121by2@excelforum-nospam.com>, doller <&l...

linked cells causing pop-up
I have linked cells from one workbook to another using this formula which works great. The only problem is everytime I open the workboo that has this link in it, a message pops up asking me to link the info then when I click yes I have to choose the appropriate file in th network. Is there a way to make it automatically choose yes for me an then find the "SEPTEMBER04" file itself by using code or something? ='S:\[SEPTEMBER04.xls]INVENTORY'!A -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Inbox Automatically pops up with new mail
I have a user that can be working in a program and when she receives new mail, her Outlook 2002 Inbox automatically pops up. She is the only one this is happening to! HELP! I too am seeing the same issue. When new mail arrives instead of the new mail icon coming to the task bar, Outlook becmes the active window. The problem, for me, seems to be that this is not something consistent. That is I cannot reproduce the issue. I have reloaded Office on the system, I have pulled all non-work related programs, removed all those darned toolbars and it still does it. Any ideas? I was thinking...

integration manager and POP
How to integration a POP transaction with integration manager 10, because i don't have destination to POP You need to re-run the IM install program and add the Dynamics GP eConnect Destination Adapter "Consulta" wrote: > How to integration a POP transaction with integration manager 10, because i > don't have destination to POP ...

How do I make a chart pop up each time I click on a cell ?
I want a chart to show up next to the data each time I click on the cell. any ideas? ...

Sound shows on custom Annimation list yet no sound heard
When the PP Presentation is saved as a show,some slides have sound and some do not. All sound came from the same folder. Also, when playing the slides while in PPPresentation, swome have sound and some do not despite all being indicated on custom annimation lisy and all startin "after previous." Thanks! Often when one sound plays but another doesn't, it's an issue of the length of the file path. What's the file path to your music? Is it really long? If so, the longer-named songs might just be hitting the length limit. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.ec...

No sounds in Windows 98 on virtual machine
In W98, no sounds. In the Sounds dialog, the arrow for testing Sounds events is grayed out. I figured it was a driver problem. In Device Manager, it says PCI Multimedia Audio Device. I double click on that and it says "drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." Then I'm given a bunch of choices and I don't know what to do next. I don't have a Windows 98 CD available. Thanks for any help "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message news:u3pQT5hZKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP0...

item message popup should produce a BEEP sound
we are group of supermarket chain , we are running MRMS 1.3 version , item message pop up causing scans to be missed at POS , we require POS machine to make sound when item message pop up or no sound in barcode scanner symbol ls 2208 also would anyone send detailed sales report with cost & profit thanks Search for the recent thread on this topic: if you add a speaker to the PC, the popup messages do have associated system sounds, which you can customize to your needs. Marc "rizwan" <rizwan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2BBF18B-3CD9-4F80-862...

Windows XP Start.wav / Start Navigation sound isn't working
Hello, and thank you for reading my post. For some time now, I noticed that my PC's "click sound", which normally appears while surfing in IE 6, wasn't working. I'd learned that I'd need to visit the Start Navigation sound in Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices, and select Windows XP Start.wav...which I'd do, but it wouldn't stay in place as soon as I clicked on "Apply". Because of this issue, and others, too, I reinstalled a "clean" version of Windows XP SP2, and then upgraded it (&, by extension, IE 6) to SP3,...

how to set ownerdraw to a pop-up menu
In this program, I set ownerdraw property to a pop-up menu, like this: void CTestDlg::OnInitMenu(CMenu *pMenu) { CMenu *pSubMenu; UINT nCount,nSubCount,nID; CString strText; nCount=pMenu->GetMenuItemCount(); for(UINT i=0;i<nCount;i++) { int index = pMenu->GetMenuItemID(i); pMenu->ModifyMenu(i,MF_BYPOSITION| MF_OWNERDRAW,index); pSubMenu =pMenu->GetSubMenu(i); nSubCount=pSubMenu->GetMenuItemCount(); for(UINT j=0;j<nSubCount;j++) ...

Macro security message pop up
Is there any way I can have the security message not pop up that asks t disable macros? This usually comes up if the security level is high. also have the excel cells password protected, but not sure if tha impacts the warning or not. Thanks -- sgods ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sgodse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1457 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27253 Hi if you set the security level to 'Low' you won't get these warning message. BUT I wouldn'...

How see if users are connecting via POP or MAPI
I am moving all my users to a new E2003 server off of a E5.5 box. Many of my users have POP setup in Outlook and connect from remote offices. Since I am eliminating POP access on the new server and am only using MAPI, I will have to give special care to those who are currently using POP with the old E5.5 server. If they are MAPI I can relocate there mailbox with no consequence. If they are POP I have to manually change the Outlook to MAPI mode. (This is hard since they are spread out all over the country.) What is a simple way to tell if client connecting to the exchange server via POP...

How do I change the words that pop up when curser is over pic?
I am using Publisher and when I am sending the document words are poping up over different sections and pictures when the curser is over it. How can I change the hidden words and or remove them? Thanks for your help Is the publication a Web page? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Avi" <Avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7A43858-44DB-420B-97C7-EC87213F7AC3@microsoft.com... >I am using Publisher and when I am sending...

whats the pop and smstp for g mail
whats the pop and smstp for g mail ?? How to set up gmail in Windows Mail & Windows Live Mail http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86383 -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "alberto" <alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEDA7D7D-0E61-43F3-8005-DBC948A08CF6@microsoft.com... > whats the pop and smstp for g mail ?? "alberto" <alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEDA7D7D-0E61-43F3-8005-DBC948A08CF6@microsoft.com... > whats the pop a...

Setting up sounds in Outlook 2003
I would like to edit the sound for mail received in Outlook 2003. I can see where I can edit the alarm, but not the mail received sound. Can anyone kindly assist? Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia. Change the sounds there. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Polly the Parrot asked: | I would like to edit the sound for mail received in Outlook 2003. | | I can see where I can edi...

2010
Just installed OfficeProPlus2010 on a new PC. The first email account I setup was an Exchange account - No problem(cached mode). Now, I am trying to setup a POP account and want to deliver the messages to the OST (like in Outlook 2007) but have not found how to do that. Do I have to create a PST for that POP or is there an option I haven't seen? Thank you, Bob Nothing to set as it should behave like pervious versions where POP3/Exchange go to the default delivery location and IMAP accounts get their own PST file. "Robert Serna" <encino_bob@hotmail.co...

Office reminders popping up early
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap Many of my Office Reminders are popping up much earlier than the Reminder time I designated in them. For example, I have a weekly reminder that is only supposed to pop up 4 hours in advance, but the following week's reminder comes up one week early (on the day of the current week's event). <br><br>It used to work fine, but now it seems to be getting worse over time (more and more items are coming up way too early). This problem may have coincided with my upgrade from Tiger to L...

Report Writer
In version 7.0 we had the shipping method show up on the report. It updated on the PO report when we changed it in the Vendor Detail page. In 8.0 they changed the report around and now the shipping method is attached to each item. We don't want this and just want to use the shippin method as it shows up on the Vendor Detail page. That way we can change it for the whole order at anytime. Does anyone know what table holds the field with this shipping method info? The default shipping method field that is on the 8.0 report does not update as we change the method within Vendor Detail. I...

Sorting a-z | z-a ... removing pop-up "Sort Warning"
When I have, for examples, several columns of data, and I highlight one column and click to sort that one column, I Always get a pop-up window with the title 'Sort Warning' that asks me if I really meant to do that, or if I wanted to include the other text nearby. Is there any way to remove that pop-up? I've yet to ever use it and I'd rather not have to keep closing it if possible. Any help that you can provide would be great. Thanks. Matt I don't know of a way to remove it -- but it took years to get that warning in there. I'm surprised that it hasn't sav...

Option in POP setup to not allow users to override po number
There should be an option in the Purchase Order setup to not allow users to override the purchase order number. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=61cf9407-d7d...

adding totals... more complex than it sounds..
i have a table, i have a column of cells containing the values 'k' or 's' or 't' or 'r' i then have a column of cells containing a sum of money representing a figure 'k' has achieved on that particular row of cells etc. i need to add the number into a seperate cell that will have the total value of all of 'k' sums of money sorry if thats confusing, its kinda hard to explain Use SUMIF, along the lines of: =SUMIF(your_range_containing_letters,"k",your_range_containing_money) For example, it might look like this: =SUMIF(A1:A100,"...

BRIDGEHEAD SERVER: pop server/service restriction...
Hello everyone... sorry for the newbie question. So far, it's been really easy for me to install Win Server 2003 .NET and Microsoft Exchange 2003 and set its properties to run smoothly... HTTP, SMTP were completed with a few clicks. While trying to make the POP3 service to work... I get the "server cannot be a bridgehead server" error message and even when I try to delegate the "bridgehead server" duties to a backup server, I keep on getting the same message. Any ideias ?! Thanks in advance. Hugo ...

I cannot get into my email, It alweays pops up errror on my last e
I made a new email address which I am oin now. I still get the same message how do I delete this message You should copy and paste the error message for specific help. But try these - compare against the settings you currently have in Tools - Accounts - Properties for that account. (In the future, do not post your actual email address in these forums, just the part after the @ symbol is necessary - spammers will pick it up.) Live.com Settings: Server names and ports: POP3 = pop3.live.com Port = 995 SMTP = smtp.live.com Port = 587 Checkboxes you ne...

Pop Up su CRM
Hi, i'm trying to insert a pop up window on a crm contact form. I want to update a field bye choosing by windows pop up list. For example... If country is 'United State of America' ... form will open a pop up with all the state in USA... by clicking on one state... a field on a contact form is populated. IS IT POSSIBLE ? I have error on this script on the pop up page... function selectState(name) { alert(self.opener.document); alert('State:'+self.opener.document.crmForm.all.address1_stateorprovince.value); self.opener.document.crmForm.all.address1_stateorprovince.v...

Popping the drawer without printing a receipt
I'm trying to figure out how to pop the cash drawer on a sale without printing a receipt. I do a lot of transactions where a receipt is not required/requested. Thus far, no receipt has meant no opening the cash drawer, requiring me to keep the key in the drawer for manual opening. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! ...