How to get rid of the fonts list in Control Panel?

Hello,

I installed a little program from Moon Software, called Font
Loader (having forgotten it is crap, their Font Explorer Lite is
fantastic and I thought that's what it was) and I believe it had
the option of showing all the fonts in Control Panel. I have
uninstalled it, the fonts have remained. I have installed it,
changed the options, the fonts remain. I have (again)
uninstalled it and the damn fonts are still there. I don't want
them there.

Does anyone know how to get rid of that CP (presumably)
fonts.cpl (although there is no such file on the system) thing?
And even if it /wasn't/ Font Loader that caused this, is there a
way of getting rid of fonts in CP?

Also, I set up Control Panel to open in its entirety when I
click on it (like other things in the Start Menu) and I don't
remember how, can't find the setting anywhere, and I'd like to
change it to opening in a normal explorer window. Can anyone
tell me how?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

t.
0
thanatoid
12/18/2009 5:44:12 AM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I have a Fonts folder in my Control Panel and I don't have the Moon Software
program. I think the Fonts folder is a part of Windows XP and there to allow
you to install or remove a font.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed a little program from Moon Software, called Font
> Loader (having forgotten it is crap, their Font Explorer Lite is
> fantastic and I thought that's what it was) and I believe it had
> the option of showing all the fonts in Control Panel. I have
> uninstalled it, the fonts have remained. I have installed it,
> changed the options, the fonts remain. I have (again)
> uninstalled it and the damn fonts are still there. I don't want
> them there.
>
> Does anyone know how to get rid of that CP (presumably)
> fonts.cpl (although there is no such file on the system) thing?
> And even if it /wasn't/ Font Loader that caused this, is there a
> way of getting rid of fonts in CP?
>
> Also, I set up Control Panel to open in its entirety when I
> click on it (like other things in the Start Menu) and I don't
> remember how, can't find the setting anywhere, and I'd like to
> change it to opening in a normal explorer window. Can anyone
> tell me how?
>
> Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
>
> t.

0
Don
12/18/2009 10:09:18 AM
"Don Schmidt" <Don Engineer@PNB.Retired_1987> wrote in

> I have a Fonts folder in my Control Panel and I don't have
> the Moon Software program. I think the Fonts folder is a
> part of Windows XP and there to allow you to install or
> remove a font.

Not good news, but thanks for the reply.

Maybe someone else will know how to get rid of it.

BTW, Font Managers are great, I highly recommend you try Moon
Software's /FULL/ Font Explorer - now free.

t.

0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 12:35:26 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> "Don Schmidt"<Don Engineer@PNB.Retired_1987>  wrote in
>
>> I have a Fonts folder in my Control Panel and I don't have
>> the Moon Software program. I think the Fonts folder is a
>> part of Windows XP and there to allow you to install or
>> remove a font.
>
> Not good news, but thanks for the reply.
>
> Maybe someone else will know how to get rid of it.
>
> BTW, Font Managers are great, I highly recommend you try Moon
> Software's /FULL/ Font Explorer - now free.
>
> t.

No problems with the software? Spyware, Malware, Nagware? No Virus?

I notice it says something about new fonts? I take it they're selling
fonts?

http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

--
  JD..
0

Woudn't it be easier to ignore it?

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 05:44:12 +0000 (UTC), in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, thanatoid
<waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I installed a little program from Moon Software, called Font
>Loader (having forgotten it is crap, their Font Explorer Lite is
>fantastic and I thought that's what it was) and I believe it had
>the option of showing all the fonts in Control Panel. I have
>uninstalled it, the fonts have remained. I have installed it,
>changed the options, the fonts remain. I have (again)
>uninstalled it and the damn fonts are still there. I don't want
>them there.
>
>Does anyone know how to get rid of that CP (presumably)
>fonts.cpl (although there is no such file on the system) thing?
>And even if it /wasn't/ Font Loader that caused this, is there a
>way of getting rid of fonts in CP?
>
>Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
>
>t.
0
Alan
12/19/2009 1:14:53 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a little program from Moon Software, called Font
> Loader (having forgotten it is crap, their Font Explorer Lite is
> fantastic and I thought that's what it was) and I believe it had
> the option of showing all the fonts in Control Panel. I have
> uninstalled it, the fonts have remained. I have installed it,
> changed the options, the fonts remain. I have (again)
> uninstalled it and the damn fonts are still there. I don't want
> them there.
>
> Does anyone know how to get rid of that CP (presumably)
> fonts.cpl (although there is no such file on the system) thing?
> And even if it /wasn't/ Font Loader that caused this, is there a
> way of getting rid of fonts in CP?
>
> Also, I set up Control Panel to open in its entirety when I
> click on it (like other things in the Start Menu) and I don't
> remember how, can't find the setting anywhere, and I'd like to
> change it to opening in a normal explorer window. Can anyone
> tell me how?
>
> Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

With XP Pro you can do this via Group Policies.  For XP Home you can
delete the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}

Backup the key before you delete it!

John
0
John
12/19/2009 2:36:37 AM
"Don Schmidt" <Don Engineer@PNB.Retired_1987> wrote in

> I have a Fonts folder in my Control Panel and I don't have
> the Moon Software program. I think the Fonts folder is a
> part of Windows XP and there to allow you to install or
> remove a font.

I know, but it's ugly and bloated and I would like to get rid of
it.

There are dozens if not hundreds of font managers - I just ran
across this one and liked it.
Proper font management is something that apparently will never
be available on Windows, just like you will never be able to
print a directory's contents (not using other programs, no DOS
shell, etc. - with a clean WINDOWS install).
0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 3:42:27 AM
JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:

<SNIP>

>> BTW, Font Managers are great, I highly recommend you try
>> Moon Software's /FULL/ Font Explorer - now free.
>>
>> t.
>
> No problems with the software? Spyware, Malware, Nagware?
> No Virus?

No, but feel free to install it and find out. You might want to
look up "anti-virus software" and "paranoid" first.

> I notice it says something about new fonts?

The word "new" appears TWICE on the page. One, "all-new version
2" and two, "new toolbars".

> I take it they're selling fonts?

WHAT is your problem? Even if they did (they do not), no one is
going to /make you/ buy them.
0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 3:42:28 AM
John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in

<SNIP>

> With XP Pro you can do this via Group Policies.  For XP
> Home you can delete the following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
> \Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C
> 5020524152}
>
> Backup the key before you delete it!

Of course.

BTW, I /do/ have Pro. Would it be too much to ask WHERE in the
elephantine Group Policies I can find this? I looked in several
logical places and did not find it - I sometimes forget logic
means something /very/ different in Redmond.

Thanks very much.
0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 3:42:29 AM
Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in

> There is no "Fonts.cpl"

I know, I already said that. Silly me, WHY should all the items
in CP be controlled/enabled by a *.cpl file? That might actually
be consistent and logical! [Self-slap!]

> Since Win95, fonts have had access via Control Panel
> although in Win9X the .cpl file used was Main.cpl (which is
> used for several items, Mouse, Keyboard etc)
> In XP the access in CP to Fonts seems to be direct rather
> than through any .cpl file, so hiding Fonts does not appear
> to be a simple option.

That is MOST unfortunate.

> Woudn't it be easier to ignore it?

I can't ignore something which pops up every time I open Control
Panel and takes up the whole height of the screen. Changing CP
to a window rather than start menu item will help though.

SIGH... I have only been in the XP group(s) for a few days, but
it appears the reply to most of /my/ concerns is "learn to love
XP as Bill meant you to" [or go Linux]...

Thanks for your reply in any case.
0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 3:42:31 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> With XP Pro you can do this via Group Policies.  For XP
>> Home you can delete the following key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
>> \Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C
>> 5020524152}
>>
>> Backup the key before you delete it!
>
> Of course.
>
> BTW, I /do/ have Pro. Would it be too much to ask WHERE in the
> elephantine Group Policies I can find this? I looked in several
> logical places and did not find it - I sometimes forget logic
> means something /very/ different in Redmond.

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Control Panel\Hide specified Control Panel applets

John
0
John
12/19/2009 4:09:03 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> JD<JD@example.invalid>  wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> BTW, Font Managers are great, I highly recommend you try
>>> Moon Software's /FULL/ Font Explorer - now free.
>>>
>>> t.
>>
>> No problems with the software? Spyware, Malware, Nagware?
>> No Virus?
>
> No, but feel free to install it and find out. You might want to
> look up "anti-virus software" and "paranoid" first.
>
>> I notice it says something about new fonts?
>
> The word "new" appears TWICE on the page. One, "all-new version
> 2" and two, "new toolbars".
>
>> I take it they're selling fonts?
>
> WHAT is your problem? Even if they did (they do not), no one is
> going to /make you/ buy them.

Thank you for your prompt reply. No problems here.

--
  JD..
0

> thanatoid wrote:
>> John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> With XP Pro you can do this via Group Policies.  For XP
>>> Home you can delete the following key:
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
>>> on
>>> \Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-
>>> 0C 5020524152}
>>>
>>> Backup the key before you delete it!
>>
>> Of course.
>>
>> BTW, I /do/ have Pro. Would it be too much to ask WHERE in
>> the elephantine Group Policies I can find this? I looked
>> in several logical places and did not find it - I
>> sometimes forget logic means something /very/ different in
>> Redmond.
>
> Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
> Templates\Control Panel\Hide specified Control Panel
> applets
>
> John

Thank you, I'll look for that.

Although I feel a little bad telling you this, I checked the XP
Home version reg key you provided above and it exists ion my Pro
machine and I backed it up and then deleted it - font list gone!

But it's good to know where these things hide in the Group
Policies.

Thanks again.
0
thanatoid
12/19/2009 4:58:58 PM
thanatoid wrote:
> John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>> John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in
>>>
>>> <SNIP>

>>> Of course.
>>>
>>> BTW, I /do/ have Pro. Would it be too much to ask WHERE in
>>> the elephantine Group Policies I can find this? I looked
>>> in several logical places and did not find it - I
>>> sometimes forget logic means something /very/ different in
>>> Redmond.
>> Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
>> Templates\Control Panel\Hide specified Control Panel
>> applets
>>
>> John
>
> Thank you, I'll look for that.
>
> Although I feel a little bad telling you this, I checked the XP
> Home version reg key you provided above and it exists ion my Pro
> machine and I backed it up and then deleted it - font list gone!

Yes, the registry key exists on both the Home and Pro versions and
deleting it on either versions removes the shortcut to the Fonts folder
from the Control Panel.  It's just that sometimes it's preferable to
enforce a Group Policy Object (GPO) instead of deleting registry keys,
with XP Pro you have a choice of methods.

> But it's good to know where these things hide in the Group
> Policies.
>
> Thanks again.

You're welcome.

John
0
John

installing a non-MS font into word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, I'm trying to download a free font called scriptina <http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2873> into word. It won't show up? I was able to get it to install into the text editor. any suggestions?? thanks! heatherc heatherc@officeformac.com wrote: > I'm trying to download a free font called scriptina > <http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2873> > into word. > > It won't show up? I was able to get it to install into the text editor. Install fonts in your ma...

Help with font size in Outlook 2003
Hi, how do I increase the font size of the "To" "Bcc" and "From" fields? It's really small and hard to see. I know how to change the font size when composing and viewing so I read it, but the above drives me crazy! Any suggestions or is it even possible to increase the size? Thanks, -- Cheryl ...

numbering multilevel list word 2007
trying to use a multilevel number list and when I hit ENTER (return) the numbering stops (the icon for numbering become un-highlighted) If this is numbering attached to headings, note that, by default, the Normal style will be applied to text when you press Enter (at the end of a heading). You can change the "Style for following paragraph" in the style definition for the relevant heading(s). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "dheuermann" <dheuermann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEF7E0F7-76A1-4B55-98B3-981E303C7A68@microsoft.co...

A Crystal Beginner

Get paid while you get online!!

Distribution List permissions #2
Exchange 2003 in native mode. How do I protect a DL so that only certain IT personnel can add/remove members to this DL? There seems to be someone that has permissions to modify some of the DLs in our environment and I need to prevent that from happening. Thanks. Distribution Groups are AD objects and have permissions/ACLs just like any other AD object. Modify the permissions to restrict who has rights to change it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Edward" <Edwa...

Customizing marketing list view in 3.0
I have created a marketing list in CRM 3.0 (member type: contact) but the marketing list member view only gives me the name, business phone, and city. I need to add fields including the company name or this list is completely useless. The customization options I found only allows changes to the view that contains the list of marketing lists, not the member list. How do I add fields to this view? I have a similar problem and tried to change views on contacts and accounts - associated view and it did not change the mkt members view - looking for help as well. "jjohnson" w...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

How do I get??

Pulldown List to open Workbook.
I have a supplier who updates his pricelist via several spreadsheets. I want to create an interface so that I may access the appropriate pricelist (workbook) by simply selecting the proper category from a pulldown menu (list). So basically, if I select "Piping" from the pulldown menu, it would open "Piping.xls" either within my main workbook or by itself. I have no macro experience so I was hoping I could do this without using them... is this possible? Opening a workbook from a dropdown box requires a macro. You could, however, create a list of links to your workbooks (...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

problems copying invoice form but then changing to a different font
I've downloaded an Invoice form (in .doc format) but the downloaded version has a font where all the letters appear unnaturally compressed. I've tried to change it to a more readable font (select all, then changed font to Arial, size to 10). Now the letters/font look good but the different lines and text entries are in the wrong positions. It looks like the size of the original page won't accomodate the new font and parts of the text have shifted to incorrect positions. If this is just a page size problem, how would I go about adjusting the new document before I change...

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Get photos from a camera

How do I get my best friend back?
I NEED TO KNOW "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7918DF09-EB34-46E4-852E-8DAAC3FFF45F@microsoft.com... > I NEED TO KNOW Easy. Just lift the lid on your toilet seat and whistle. Dipshit! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." Pretend that you're in a coma and unable to communicate in any way (such as posting messages in newsgroups). "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

how to get the pointer variable address from a dll
hi all, I have a DLL which has a output parameter LPVOID, A application calls this DLL function, the Dll responsibility is to assign a valid pointer to the lpBuffer, Till here it is OK, but once it returns to the Application this lpBuffer becomes NULL. Prototype, __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID lpBuffer) Please let me know what to do, I am stuck in this. try this __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID &lpBuffer) AliR. <karunyalakshmi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1182179607.989434.318540@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > hi a...