Cannot read or write rewritable CDs

win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram

I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.

I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
well.

I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
normally in my laptop (same OS).

The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
rewritable CDs.

Any ideas where to start tackling this?

Thanks,

Clem.

windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
> well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried
> 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs
> work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
> rewritable CDs.
>
> Any ideas where to start tackling this?

Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the CD
laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than CD-R
and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is too
dim to be read correctly.

Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A typical
life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

--
Peter

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work normally
> in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read rewritable
> CDs.
>
> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.

0
Peter
11/25/2009 5:54:33 PM
M.I.5�,

Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.

Clem.

"M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>

> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
> pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the
> CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than
> CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is
> too dim to be read correctly.
>
> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Peter,

Thanks for your input. I ran the diagnostic utility, but it failed. I tried
the same disk in 2 other machines, it works fine.

Clem.

> Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
>
> --
> Peter

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.

Then try this
Peter

"C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your input. I ran the diagnostic utility, but it failed. I tried the
> same disk in 2 other machines, it works fine.
>
> Clem.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>>
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
>>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
>>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
>>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Clem.

0
Peter
11/26/2009 5:42:10 AM
> M.I.5�,
>
> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.

That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Then try this
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

He didn't mention that it wasn't reachable.

I'm wondering if he has all the latest windows updates?
0
Rick
11/27/2009 4:54:10 PM
I've tried 2 brands (two types from 1 brand and 1 type from another brand),
same prob.

> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> M.I.5�,
>>
>> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.
>>

> That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
> can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?
>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

>>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs
>>> and the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower
>>> refectivity than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then
>>> the reflected beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>>
>>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Initial post:

===================
I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.

I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
well.

I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
normally in my laptop (same OS).

The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
rewritable CDs.
===================

I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
windows media player from v11 to v9.

Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

C.M.G. wrote:
> Initial post:
>
> ===================
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
> well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
> rewritable CDs.
> ===================
>
> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>
> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,

Try a different cable to connect the drive.

--
  JD..
0
JD wrote:
> C.M.G. wrote:
>> Initial post:
>>
>> ===================
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>> tried to
>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>> ===================
>>
>> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing
>> utility
>> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled
>> back
>> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>>
>> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
>> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
>> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Try a different cable to connect the drive.

The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

0
Rick
11/28/2009 2:30:19 PM
Verify the drive is recognized in the BIOS.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> I've tried 2 brands (two types from 1 brand and 1 type from another
> brand), same prob.
>
> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>>> M.I.5�,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.
>>>

>> That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
>> can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?
>>
>>> Clem.
>>>
>>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

0
Don
11/28/2009 9:27:48 PM
There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the two
optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW read
and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on the same
drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions of the cable
are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use (since there only
appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the "D" and "E" drive
connectors?

Thanks,

Clem.

> JD wrote:
>> C.M.G. wrote:
>>> Initial post:
>>>
>>> ===================
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>>> tried to
>>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried
>>> 3
>>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs
>>> work
>>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>> ===================
>>>
>>> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing
>>> utility
>>> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled
>>> back
>>> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>>>
>>> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3
>>> first
>>> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
>>> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Try a different cable to connect the drive.
>>

> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

It is, I assume, since both optical disc drives have some functionality
left.

Clem.

#1 Master
#2 CSEL
for Rom always
it will work and the Errors will go a way

> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the two
> optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW read
> and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on the
> same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions of the
> cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use (since
> there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the "D" and
> "E" drive connectors?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.
>
> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> JD wrote:

>>> Try a different cable to connect the drive.
>>>

>> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

0
Hot
11/29/2009 12:07:39 PM
Hello Hot-text,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure I understand you correctly:

The ribbon cable has two connectors; the one closer to the motherboard is
connected to the RW, and the farther away (at the end of the ribbon) is
connected to the ROM.

The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.

Are you saying the ROM should be plugged in closer to the motherboard, and
the jumper set to Master? And the RW connects at the end or the ribbon
cable, and jumper set to Cable select?

I appreciate your help.

Clem.

"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> #1 Master
> #2 CSEL
> for Rom always
> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>

> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the
>> two optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW
>> read and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on
>> the same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions
>> of the cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use
>> (since there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the
>> "D" and "E" drive connectors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.  NO No
One jumpers cable select.
One jumpers Master.
the farther or closer not it
it Master and cable select that make it work you is  Just puck one..

> Hello Hot-text,
> Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure I understand you correctly:
>
> The ribbon cable has two connectors; the one closer to the motherboard is
> connected to the RW, and the farther away (at the end of the ribbon) is
> connected to the ROM.
>
> The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.
>
> Are you saying the ROM should be plugged in closer to the motherboard, and
> the jumper set to Master? And the RW connects at the end or the ribbon
> cable, and jumper set to Cable select?
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Clem.
>
> "Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> #1 Master
>> #2 CSEL
>> for Rom always
>> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>>

>> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>>> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the
>>> two optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the
>>> CD-RW read and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the
>>> DVD+RW on the same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different
>>> portions of the cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable
>>> would I use (since there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to
>>> switch the "D" and "E" drive connectors?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Clem.
>>>
>>> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
Hot
12/2/2009 9:24:47 AM
Hello M.I.5�,

You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes of
the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be working
fine!

Thanks,

Clem.

"M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>

> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
> pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the
> CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than
> CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is
> too dim to be read correctly.
>
> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
CMG
12/5/2009 5:34:16 AM
And the New One is Master  <<< by default
and the Old the is  CSEL

> Hello M.I.5�,
>
> You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes
> of the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be working
> fine!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.
>
> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>>
>>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>>
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>>> tried to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I
>>> have tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The
>>> same CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>>

>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and
>> the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity
>> than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected
>> beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>
>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
Hot
12/5/2009 7:17:58 PM
Thanks! C.

> And the New One is Master  <<< by default
> and the Old the is  CSEL
>
> for Rom always
> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>

> "CMG" <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> Hello M.I.5�,
>>
>> You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes
>> of the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be
>> working fine!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

>>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs
>>> and the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower
>>> refectivity than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then
>>> the reflected beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>>
>>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
CMG

Reading .wks file

File won't open as read only

Need parameter to write data to table: please help!
I have a query that tells me how long each batch will take to make in the factory. The fields are: release date, priority, status, work order number, vessel, vessel group, and total time. I would like to input the start time for the highest priority (lowest number) batch for each vessel group. I am going to use a form for this. How do I write a parameter to only use the start date I input for the lowest numbered priority in each vessel group? Create your form first. Then wherever you want to use the start date in your query, just right click and select build.. then browse to your f...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

bad debt write offs
How do I post bad debt write offs? I need the write off to reduce the payees balance so they don't show up on a receivables report anymore. I tried creating an expense to offset the uncollectable debt but the payee still shows an outstanding balance. Help please! "Tara in Austin" <Tara in Austin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A723321-EAE8-42F3-9588-7DFF7C2A56F0@microsoft.com... > How do I post bad debt write offs? I need the write off to reduce the > payees > balance so they don't show up on a receivables report anymore. I tried &g...

reading confirmation

checking the write protect status of floppy disk
Hi All, Is there any way to check whether the floppy disk is write protected or not? Currently I'm writing a file in floppy disk and check the error message for write protected(ERROR_WRITE_PROTECT) Is there any other method to check the status of floppy disk Thanks, Mani Look at IOCTL_DISK_IS_WRITABLE -- Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD) Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr Remove StopSpam to reply "Mani" <plmanikandan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4b268a00-e2e5-4318-959a-2...

The memory could not be "read".

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...

write a program which tests a specific port to see wether is listening mode?
hi all, I want to write a program which tests a specific port to see wether is in listening mode or not. do you know any api / code to get tat?? Network port? Or I/O port? I'm assuming network port information here... Are you looking for the sort of state that netstat reports? Take a look at GetTcpTable, which will lead you to the rest of the functions for the IP Helper APIs. joe On 30 Apr 2007 04:53:13 -0700, "vishal.g.shah@gmail.com" <vishal.g.shah@gmail.com> wrote: >hi all, > I want to write a program which tests a specific por...

Outlook not marking read emails as read
Hi - We have 1 computer that is doing the oddest thing, anytime the customer reads the last email in his box, exit's out of email and then comes back in, that email is now marked as unread - it's the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time. I uninstalled office XP, rebooted, then reinstalled and applied the 2 service packs, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. So now I'm stuck and was wondering if anybody out there has any thoughts on what to do.... thanks! Gerri Urban gurban@ci.broomfield.co.us ...

Suggested reading
Any suggested reading for Access 2003 VBA? I have both "Step by Step Access 2003" And "Microsoft Access 2003 VBA for Dummies" (how Ironic) and niether have been very helpful. Try this book. It's a winner: Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference by Patricia Cardoza, Teresa Hennig, Graham Seach, and Armen Stein http://www.amazon.com/Access-2007-Programmers-Reference-Programmer/dp/0470047038/ref=sr_1_1/104-1181757-2327103?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185824619&sr=8-1 -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.access...

stored procedure writing directly in RMS
Is there any examples of writing stored procs directly in RMS? For example I have a stored procedure I have written that gets fired off from CR8.5. The stored proc has one section that does an insert into a temp table and at the end of the stored proc does a select of the temp table. Any time within the stored proc when doing an insert the last select does not work. If I do not do an insert within the stored proc everything works as normal. I even tried having my stored proc call another stored proc when it gets done, but because of that insert it has problems. Is there anything w...

Message(s) Not Being Marked As Read
I have "Mark message read after displayed for" '0' seconds checked. But in my Junk e-mail folder the messages don't get marked as read when I select them, only when I open them. I'm assuming this is because there isn't a the reading pane for the Junk e-mail folder even though I have "Show reading pane" checked in "Layout" a reading pane doesn't display in the Junk email right pane. Is this normal? I'd rather just click on the message instead of opening the message to mark it as read. James > I'd rather just c...

Controling READ ONLY and READ/WRITE mode when opening a project PS
Hello All, I was looking for a way to force users to select between READ ONLY and READ/WRITE instead of it defaulting to READ/WRITE when opening projects in MS Project 2007. Any suggestions would be a huge help. Thanks, Eric Eric -- Short of using custom software development, there is no way to force this issue with your PMs. If you want to try the custom software development route, then please repost your message in the microsoft.public.project.developer newsgroup. Otherwise, make this a training and performance issue with your PMs. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Ho...

Read/Not read
Hello We have an exhange-server environment. The Boss' secretary need's to be able to read the Boss' mail, without the messages being marked as read, within outlook 2003. She can access the Boss mail, but all mail she reads is being marked as read, hence the boss can not figure out what he has seen/not seen. What is the solution? Thanx a lot /Jan Hi Towli. There is no way to marked as unread automatically, Just she should be tick the unread option on the pop up menu after she open the her boss e-mail. Once you right click button one of e-mail on the e-mail list, you w...

read an ascii file with fopen
I try to open with fopen and read an ascii file, line by line, but get garbage - among the right data in the CString variable that is filled with this line data. Can someone copy&paste the right code how to so that? Thanks in advance. Mark "Mark" <mark@chasan.ar> wrote in message news:%23sPmEzsgGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I try to open with fopen and read an ascii file, line by line, but get > garbage - among the right data in the CString variable that is filled with > this line data. > > Can someone copy&paste the right code how to so that?...

Programatically reading a XSD File
Hello, Let us say I have a schema file like this sample below. How would I using ..NET classes be able to read this XSD file and get all the values for each element, such as "name", "type", "minoccurs" etc.,? I would appreciate if somebody can help me with some sample code. Thanks for your help. Ganesh ********************* <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <xs:schema id="Account_Did" xmlns="" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata&...

after saving to cd many times. now says read only?
i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my hard drive? nsturre wrote: > i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of > a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my > hard drive? Unless you have formatted your CDRW for packet writing, then yes, it will be Read only. CDROM = CD Read Only Memory! -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Just ...

Synchronizing and Read Only
I am trying to set up a one note notebook on a desktop that I can access from a notebook computer as a synchronized one note notebook. I am using Windows 7 and have a Homegroup set up on the network. I have set up a Test notebook on the desktop and when I attempt to open it from the notebook computer through the Homegroup it always opens as read only. I have looked at the permissions of the folder on the desktop and ensured that the folder is not read only but everytime I attempt to open it it reverts back to read only (permissions show as a blue square not a check). I have also ...

Read Receipts being stored up and sent months later
We have a person outside the organization that sends email to a person in our organization and they request a read receipt. Today, the person outside the organization recived months of read receipts from the person in our organization. Outlook 2002, Exchange 2000. Any thoughts? Thank you did the person mark them all read today? Switch mailboxes? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net ...