Administrator vs User

When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
"Ron Patterson"

In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
    Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
    Guest - "Guest account is off"
    Asp Net Machine - Limited Account

When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.

Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

Ron Patterson

0
Ron
6/5/2010 7:25:18 PM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
>     Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
>     Guest - "Guest account is off"
>     Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
> thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.
>
> Ron Patterson

I'm no expert, and one of them will surely get back to you
on this. But I found that, to act as the TRUE Administrator, I
had to boot up in Safe Mode. Then the genu-wine Asministrator
capabilities come into being.
0
William
6/5/2010 7:30:40 PM
Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
>     Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
>     Guest - "Guest account is off"
>     Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
> thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

XP Home - Logon in Safe Mode
XP Pro - Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice at the logon screen

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
To copy a user profile

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291555
The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is Unavailable

John
0
John

How can i asign MBF roles to user accounts?
Hello. I want to asign to user accounts the next roles: MBF roles: - Order Management Customer - Customer (Advanced role) I was wondering how can I make this Thanks for your help Jose Ponce Aguilar ...

IE 32 vs IE 64
In Windows 7 I have both: why not only 64 if the machine is 64 based? QU Hi, QU. "QuantumUniverses" wrote in message news:eBXQXbDULHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > In Windows 7 I have both: why not only 64 if the machine is 64 based? > QU Because Adobe Flash Player - and some other features - have not yet been updated for 64-bit browsers. See Adobe's copout TechNote here: Flash Player on 64-bit operating systems http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html Quick summary: "To install Flash Player, use a 32-bit Web browser on your 64-bit ...

VS 6.0 dialogs in the VS 8.0
Hi All, I have some dialog in the MFC project created in the VC 6.0 This project can be compiled and started using the VC 8.0, but in resource editor I do not see the dialog events handlers, created in VC 6.0. BEGIN_EVENTSINK_MAP(CDlg, CDialog) //{{AFX_EVENTSINK_MAP(CDlg) ON_EVENT(CDlg, IDC_COUNT_SAVE, -600 /* Click */, OnClickCountSave, VTS_NONE) ON_EVENT(CDlg, IDC_COUNT_CLEAR, -600 /* Click */, OnClickCountClear, VTS_NONE) //}}AFX_EVENTSINK_MAP ON_EVENT(CDlg, IDC_COUNT_SAVE, DISPID_CLICK, CDlg::ClickCountSave, VTS_NONE) END_EVENTSINK_MAP() New event handler created by VC 8.0, Click...

Administrative permissions
I am having some problems with permissions related to administration of our EX 2003 server. If the administrator is not a domain admin exchange errors when attempting to add or modify a user. I understand that re-running domain prep can resolve this issue. I am wondering if this is the best method or should I look elsewhere for the solution. hi, May I know what the error is? Are your exch and GC not in the same machine? why don't you give the administrator member of domain admin or exch full admin? have you tried log on with an account that have full exch admin right? check adminis...

How to prevent users changing details in Contacts List
Hi All, After entering the contact details in the contact form, How to preven users from changing the details through the Conacts List ?? We have customised the contact form for not entering the non-codepag 1252 characters into the form. But, there is a possibility that use may do the trick by entering the non-codepage 1252 characters into th contact details through contacts list by clicking on a particula record with the help of a mouse and directly editing there. As per our requirement, the contact details shall be synchronised t Siebel through Exchange Server. Please suggest me how to av...

OU named users
Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in another OU) reserved name ? thanks carl "MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message news:%23VRBE5gyKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in > another OU) reserved name ? > > thanks > > carl No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I didn't set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen ou=Computers. -- Richard Mueller MVP Directory Services Hilltop Lab -...

User Form instead of message box to collect data
Currently I have 7 questions in Sheet1/Column A. Each question has a number tied to it in Column B. For example A1 contains Question #1 while B1 contains the number 1, A2 contains Question #2 while B2 contains the number 2, and so on down the list. I am using the macro below to display each question in its own message box. In the message box, below each question, is a blank field to give an answer. Once the question is answered the operator can click OK or Cancel. If the operator clicks OK the question will be pasted into the first available even row Sheet2/Column B, the ...

Administrator
In POS2K9, is there a way to install a role that is almighty, like an adminstrator? -- JWray Sawtooth Technology by default doesn't the manager have full access "JWray" wrote: > In POS2K9, is there a way to install a role that is almighty, like an > adminstrator? > -- > JWray > Sawtooth Technology From the Help Menu Allow administrative access Certain tasks in Microsoft Dynamics POS fall into the category of system administration and must be allowed or denied for each employee. These include: Create backups of the store database, Perform other database ope...

255 Character Truncation, Vlookup Macro vs. Opening Workbook Macro
Hello, I just posted an entry on the microsoft.public.excel.programming forum, but thought I'd post it here as well. http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/browse_thread/thread/40fae474a64d6900/ce8e97e11e429402#ce8e97e11e429402 I forgot to complete the subject line on that post. Any ideas? But you already have a response in .programming. It's pretty unusual that you'd have to post to multiple forums. But if you think you must, try to post to both at one time. jrew23@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hello, > > I just posted an entry on the mi...

Object dependencies vs. relationships
I'm struggling to understand when you need a relationship set between 2 tables. The textbook I'm studying from, 'The Professional Approach-Access 2007', seems to highly recommend setting up relationships again and again. I have the impression, that they are critical to the functionality of the database. But... When I insert a subdatasheet, into another table, I'm given a Warning that there is no relationship setup, but I'm allowed to continue to insert the subdatasheet without setting up a relationship. I look in the Relationship window (all relatio...

Opening other users seconday calendar
I have an Exchange 2003 server.... most of our users use Outlook 2003 as a client. To view another person's calendar on Outlook2003, we would normally do: File|Open|Other user's folder... select the user name and folder type: "calendar" (assuming the owner of the mailbox has granted rights to that folder) If a user creates a new calendar to be shared (e.g., 'othercalendar') how can another user view that calendar in outlook2003? The "Other user's folder" dialogue only provides a drop-down list of the standard folders. Thanks, Steve 4th Paragraph ...

removing active dir role on my exchange2k3 box and rename "administrator" account
Hi, Currently, my exchange 2k3 box is also my DC, We migrated from nt4 so currently, i still have my NT 4 server machines tied up. When i finished joining all users to the new domain, I will convert my NT machines to 2k3 to serve as DC. My questions are: 1) Is it ok if I remove the DC role in my exchange box after I install a new DC machine? 2) I used the administrator account to install exchange 2003, can I rename the administrator account w/o affecting exchange? Thanks ...

Where is the Administrative Note field gone ?
Hi there. Just going thru an upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 SP1 and have a question from one of our helpdesk admins. In our 5.5 environment we were putting little support notes about DLs - who asked for it to be created, the date, who has authority to be added/change the members, original System Request #, etc. Where is this field now in AD U&C now ? Did the Advanced Features, no luck. The only way to see them is thru the old 5.5 admin tool, but once we drop the 5.5 server we're kind of stuck. We don't want to use the Notes field because that's where we store i...

Contract Administration
*** Cliffs: Is there a way that we can use the Evergreen feature, and have the Smooth Billing box unchecked so that all billings (which are created at beginning of the month) are for services rendered in that month. *** ------------------ Full Description ---------- We are testing various features within the Contract Administration module and have some questions with respect to its functionality. Generally, we have service contracts which begin throughout the month. Ideally, we would bill for monthly service on the 1st day of the month. That is, a bill for the full month of Sep...

Cannot assign/create/edit mailbox to Copied user
Hi, I just created a Domain User from an existing one with credentials I wanted to copy. (right-clicked existing user, hit Copy..., entered new user info) However, I can't seem to create a new mailbox for this user. Every Exchange option is greyed out. On "Exchange Tasks...", the only option available is "Remove Exchange Attributes". It is said that Very Bad Things may happen if I do this... including Group de-attachment, possible Exchange failure, and the spoiling of milk in the fridge... What can I do? I can't get Outlook to create an Exchange conne...

Excel 2007 vs Excel 2003: How to keep charts stable?
We have some computers on Excel 2007 & some on Excel 2003. When I make a graph on Excel 2007, and someone touches it in Excel 2003, the graph gets messed up. In the last instance, the graph contents disappeared (ie. no lines in the graphy)! Can anyone recommend on how to keep the graphs stable across Excel 2007 & Excel 2003. Unfortunatelly, I cannot upgrade everyone. Note: I have tried making graphs on in Excel 2003 first. This helps, but does not seem to solve it. Thanks! ...

required User rights for using Outlook client in crm 3.0
Hello, In V1.2 was this update "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841124/EN-US/" to reduce required prermissions to use the CRM Client. Before the update administrative rights were necessary to work with the client. How is it in 3.0? Is this update already part of the software package? and is it coz of this possible to use the Outlook client with standard user rights (no administrative rights). thank you in advance! have a nice weekend! Thomas In both version 1.2 and 3.0 it was necessary for the user to have local admin rights to install the Outlook client, but you could the...

Outlook vs Outlook Express #6
I downloaded Office 2003 (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook). All my info from Outlook Express was transferred to my new Outlook. I then tried to access Internet Explorer and it froze - could not get it to work. Ended up doing a system restore to previous day and it removed Office 2003, but my Internet Explorer worked. I then downloaded Office 2003 again. This time my info from my Outlook Express was not transferred to the new Outlook, but again, after I activated 2003, I could not access Internet Explorer. I am posting this here because I cannot find out how to contact Microsoft on the proble...

Assign an AD group 'Full Mailbox Rights' to all users in OU
I am building a script to create admin "Domain Local" groups for eac site in an Active Directory domain (each site has their own OU). have been searching for a way to programmatically assign 'full mailbo rights' to this DL group and then assign security rights to use objects for that group on an OU. I am using vbscript with ADSI, CDOE or CDOEXM or anything that will work. Does anyone have experience in these things? So far, I've used ADSI to create the DL group and then DSACLS to assig ACEs to other admin groups that simply need AD rights, but I cannot fin or figure...

org charts in 2007 vs 2003
I'm using 2003 and I find the org chart automation a but limited and frustrating. For instance, although you can import excel data to create a chart it's very complicated, it doesn,'t auto update and the result needs loads of formatting by hand to tidy it up. - Does 2007 improve on any of these things i.e. - will it auto update if an excel sheet is updated - can I add photos automatically by linking them from the spreadsheet - are there better ways of automatically formatting the chart when it's being created and the best of all ... a holy grail of mine.... can it do othe...

Timesheet Administration
Hi guys, As an administrator, I'm looking to find out how to delete 'In Progess' timesheets for people within our department. Bascially we have some people who have left the company without submitting their timesheet. How can I arrange to delete this timesheets? Cheers Shane Your probably talking about Project Server? Best to repost on the newsgroup dedicated to Project Server: microsoft.public.project.server. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 21/01/10 01:34, Shane_H wrote: > Hi guys, > > As an administrator, I'm looking to find out ...

Disabling Macro Warning in User Form for all Users
Hello- I know there are quite a few questions posted on this board about disabling the macro security warnings. I know that it is possible to prevent the warning from coming up every time but changing the security setting to medium, authenticate, etc. etc. However, I want to be able to disable the warning for all of my form users, who will find it a complete annoyance and frustration to have to go and do it themselves (they are sales people with little time or patience). Is it possible to get rid of a macro warning once and for all without having to make each user do it on ...

PASTE SPECIAL
There are times when PASTE SPECIAL opens up a window to allow pasting o values/formulae/format/etc. At times, going to the same EDIT/PASTE SPECIAL menu, opens up anothe window asking only to paste UNICODE or TEXT, not showing the options o values/formulae/format/etc. See the pictures of the two distinct paste special windows. Why am I getting this variation, and how can I always get th values/formulae/format window? Thanks [image: http://mousaler.com/temp/paste_good.jpg] [image: http://mousaler.com/temp/paste_bad.jpg -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I didn't open...

CRM user rights
I am needing to know if there is a tool in CRM that allows you to do a matrix or list of what any particular user has access to see in the software? -- Jeff As far as I know there isn't such a tool. It is however possible to write it using the SDK. Maybe a good topic for my blog. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup ---------------------------------------------------------- "jsngoal" <jsngoal@discussions.micro...

move users between domains
We've been using admt to move users from one domain to another as students, faculty and staff transfer. We have 7 domains (one per campus and managed locally) and an empty- root in a single forest. Does anyone know of a powershell replacement for the ADMT tool? Under the hood, ADMT does not really 'move' an account. it clones a new one and deletes the old one. HankC ADMT does a lot more than that. It preserves group memberships, for example. I'm sure you could replace the function of ADMT with PowerShell, but it would require a pretty complicated script...