Windows XP (NL): Windows Activation Problem + Windows Automatic Update Problem = Very Slow Computer.

Hello,

Today I visitted my mother for a nice dinner, after the dinner I wanted to
show her something on the computer/internet.

I noticed how the computer was extremely slow, and how the harddisk was
rattling non-stop.

First I was wondering if it was infected with a trojan or a scanner, this
did not appear to be the case.

Then I immediatly started wondering about windows automatic update since I
never trusted it to function properly... I have seen my share of failures
with it...
however the computer is pretty much unmanaged so at least automatic updates
protected it a little bit.

I decided to go to the windows update website for manual updating to see
what was going on... before I did that I stopped windows automatic updates
to verify that it was indeed the culprit and yes it was the pc became fast
again... I re-enabled it and went to the website.

There it took a very long time before there was any feedback... it did the
whole rattle thing over again... I took like 10 minutes or so...

Then it displayed some warning/error message: "Windows Genuine Activation
hulpprogramma failed".

Apperently Microsoft now believes the computer is not genuine ?!? This
computer was bought at a big retailer and should be genuine.

Then it continued rattling...

After having wasted 20 minutes of my life on this b.s. I decided it was
enough and shutdown the iexplore.exe.

For the time being I have disabled windows automatic updates so that the
computer can function normally again.
(This is on windows xp (NL) netherlands edition).

I ask my mother how long this has been going on since my elderly sister was
also complaining about it.

It turns out this has been going on for one month !!!

One full month of slow computer and Microsoft didn't even notice it ?! and
did nothing about it !

I am very unhappy about this.

I have consulted with my mother... she wants to buy a new laptop so she can
sit below... this would require additional wireless routers or so... but
ok...

She wants windows 7 because she hard about it... However I told her Windows
7 is a risk because of it's on-going-security problems.

The old computer can then still be around for the kids to use when to come
visit.

However windows xp nl 32 bit version is about to end it's life cycle.

I said to her and decided that the old computer can continue to keep
functioning until it gets trojaned/hacked and so forth...

After that happens I might pirate the computer and install windows xp x64
pro edition which at least is still supported and does seem to function
normally.

However I always have windows automatic updates off and for good reason
too... if I had it on my computer would have been toasted by Microsoft at
least 2 times, maybe even more.

Windows Automatic Updates/The cure seems to be worse than sickness...
However without the patches computers would be trojaned.

My mother was very smart... when she started about wireless routers she
immediatly recgonized the dangerous:

Wireless routers are unsafe... she wants to do banking across it...

I told her... well safety has improved a little bit... but it's indeed weak
protection... I concurred... you are a smart mother I said... :)

All in all I am not happy with the situation.

I believe Microsoft should be punished for:

1. Wasting peoples time with defects.

2. Security risks.

Here is my advice for Microsoft/you for now in the future:

In case of though legislation being introduced to go after Microsoft and
it's malfunctions... it would be much smarter for Microsoft to focus on it's
core components of it's operating system and make sure that those are
working flawlessly instead of trying to create "bloatware" which simply
increase attack vectors and requires more security patching.

If computer do get infected by flash then at least it's not Microsoft to
blame.

Do I believe my mother should pay 400 dollars/euro's for Microsoft
Windows... HELL NO !!!

The risks and costs of it to keep it working well are much higher...
especially if I had to bill her for my time.

Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000% safe I do
not believe people should have to pay for it.

Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and money
at risk.

And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run on
cars ?!? ;)

Don't make me laugh !

Bye,
  Skybuck.

0
Skybuck

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000% safe I do
> not believe people should have to pay for it.

Have your meds kicked in yet ? Good. Nighty night.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
6/4/2010 7:07:47 PM
"Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture@hotmail.com> �crivait

> [...]
> focus on it's core components of it's operating system and make sure
> that those are working flawlessly instead of trying to create
> "bloatware" which simply increase attack vectors and requires more
> security patching.
>
> If computer do get infected by flash then at least it's not Microsoft
> to blame.
>
> Do I believe my mother should pay 400 dollars/euro's for Microsoft
> Windows... HELL NO !!!
>
> The risks and costs of it to keep it working well are much higher...
> especially if I had to bill her for my time.
>
> Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000%
> safe I do not believe people should have to pay for it.
>
> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and
> money at risk.
>
> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run

And you are your mother's computer guru?

I feel sorry for her!
0
Doum
6/4/2010 8:09:35 PM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
<snip>
> I ask my mother how long this has been going on since my elderly sister
> was
> also complaining about it.
>
> It turns out this has been going on for one month !!!
>
> One full month of slow computer and Microsoft didn't even notice it ?! and
> did nothing about it !
>
> I am very unhappy about this.

One can only imagine how unhappy you'd be and how much you b****h about it
if Microsoft could (somehow) notice it...

0
PA
6/4/2010 9:06:43 PM
On 4 jun, 20:36, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I visitted my mother for a nice dinner, after the dinner I wanted t=
> show her something on the computer/internet.

Wat is dat Windows XP?

> Bye,
> =A0 Skybuck.

0
surodje
6/4/2010 9:31:23 PM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> [...]
> focus on it's core components of it's operating system and make sure
> that those are working flawlessly instead of trying to create
> "bloatware" which simply increase attack vectors and requires more
> security patching.
> If computer do get infected by flash then at least it's not Microsoft
> to blame.
>
> Do I believe my mother should pay 400 dollars/euro's for Microsoft
> Windows... HELL NO !!!
>
> The risks and costs of it to keep it working well are much higher...
> especially if I had to bill her for my time.
>
> Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000%
> safe I do not believe people should have to pay for it.
>
> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and
> money at risk.
>
> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to

And *you* want to be *my* latex salesman?

0
Daave
6/4/2010 9:52:04 PM
Daave wrote:
> And*you*  want to be*my*  latex salesman?

VanDelay Industries. How can I help you ?

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
6/4/2010 10:10:20 PM
Daave wrote:
<blithersnippage>
>> For the time being I have disabled windows automatic updates so that
>> the computer can function normally again.
>> (This is on windows xp (NL) netherlands edition).
>>
>> I ask my mother how long this has been going on since my elderly
>> sister was also complaining about it.
>>
>> It turns out this has been going on for one month !!!
>>
>> One full month of slow computer and Microsoft didn't even notice it
>> ?! and did nothing about it !
>>
>> I am very unhappy about this.
<more blithersnippage>

> And *you* want to be *my* latex salesman?

<ROFL>
0
PA
6/4/2010 10:52:15 PM
On 6/4/2010 11:36 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> [...]
> core components of it's operating system and make sure that those are
> working flawlessly instead of trying to create "bloatware" which simply
> increase attack vectors and requires more security patching.
>
> If computer do get infected by flash then at least it's not Microsoft to
> blame.
>
> Do I believe my mother should pay 400 dollars/euro's for Microsoft
> Windows... HELL NO !!!
>
> The risks and costs of it to keep it working well are much higher...
> especially if I had to bill her for my time.
>
> Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000% safe I do
> not believe people should have to pay for it.
>
> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and money
> at risk.
>
> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run on

If you don't like Windows try Ubuntu. Otherwise try this:

http://www.pchell.com/support/windowsgenuineadvantage.shtml
0
Mike
6/4/2010 11:41:51 PM
"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> blame.
>>
>> Do I believe my mother should pay 400 dollars/euro's for Microsoft
>> Windows... HELL NO !!!
>>
>> The risks and costs of it to keep it working well are much higher...
>> especially if I had to bill her for my time.
>>
>> Until Microsoft delivers an operating system which is 100.0000000% safe I
>> do
>> not believe people should have to pay for it.
>>
>> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and
>> money
>> at risk.
>>
>> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run on
>> cars ?!? ;)
>>
>> Don't make me laugh !
>>
>> Bye,
>>    Skybuck.
>
> If you don't like Windows try Ubuntu. Otherwise try this:

Ok, thx for the link I appreciate it... pretty ridicilous that this isn't
even a microsoft page ! ;) :)

Next time I visit my mother I will give it a try and see if it helps.

I will have to visit her soon because next tuesday Microsoft will fix
another 32 security holes !

And suddenly I wonder what other holes have not been fixed yet because of
this problem.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

0
Skybuck
6/5/2010 1:25:50 AM
On 5 jun, 03:25, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and
> >> money
> >> at risk.
>
> >> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run=
 on
> >> cars ?!? ;)
>
> >> Don't make me laugh !
>
> >> Bye,
> >> =A0 =A0Skybuck.
>
> > If you don't like Windows try Ubuntu. Otherwise try this:
>
> >http://www.pchell.com/support/windowsgenuineadvantage.shtml
>
> Ok, thx for the link I appreciate it... pretty ridicilous that this isn't
> even a microsoft page ! ;) :)
>
> Next time I visit my mother I will give it a try and see if it helps.
>
> I will have to visit her soon because next tuesday Microsoft will fix
> another 32 security holes !
>
> And suddenly I wonder what other holes have not been fixed yet because of

Send me an email and I will tell you the easiest way to make your XP
pass the genuine
advantage crap without installing any crack or patch.
There is actually some info you can add to the registry that will fix
all the WGA bullshit and allow you to install all updates (including
the WGA update).
Also, it might be a good idea to install Security Essentials to get
rid of any malware on the computer (but you can only install it after
you ensure your XP version passes the WGA validation).

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
0
sobriquet
6/5/2010 3:54:48 AM

"Skybuck Flying" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Instead Microsoft should be fined for putting people's time, life and
> >> money
> >> at risk.
> >>
> >> And yet Microsoft is the same company which wants it's software to run on
> >> cars ?!? ;)
> >>
> >> Don't make me laugh !
> >>
> >> Bye,
> >>    Skybuck.
> >
> > If you don't like Windows try Ubuntu. Otherwise try this:
> >
> > http://www.pchell.com/support/windowsgenuineadvantage.shtml
>
> Ok, thx for the link I appreciate it... pretty ridicilous that this isn't
> even a microsoft page ! ;) :)
>
> Next time I visit my mother I will give it a try and see if it helps.
>
> I will have to visit her soon because next tuesday Microsoft will fix
> another 32 security holes !
>
> And suddenly I wonder what other holes have not been fixed yet because of

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926333
A couple of days ago I was at my mother place again... and I tried to fix it
and wasted another 1 hour and 30 mins of my life.

I was unable to fix it.

Windows update displays error: 0x800A01CE

Apperently there is a windows update log... I collected both files and put
them in a WinRar file so that maybe somebody
could take a look at it and see what the problem is:

The file is available on the following link:

http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/WindowsLogVeryMessy.rar

The folder is:

http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/

Bye,
  Skybuck.

0
Skybuck
6/23/2010 1:33:05 PM
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/27f5069955604a61

0x800A01CE
The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

Is WinXP SP3 installed?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> A couple of days ago I was at my mother place again... and I tried to fix
> it
> and wasted another 1 hour and 30 mins of my life.
>
> I was unable to fix it.
>
> Windows update displays error: 0x800A01CE
>
> Apperently there is a windows update log... I collected both files and put
> them in a WinRar file so that maybe somebody
> could take a look at it and see what the problem is:
>
> The file is available on the following link:
>
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/WindowsLogVeryMessy.rar
>
> The folder is:
>
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/

0
PA
6/23/2010 2:27:33 PM
By the way... I did try to re-install flash last sunday when I was there...
(flash 10.1 I think it was)

It totally failed with a very long error message/number... something like:

00000000_00000000000000000000000000etc.

(I also had problems installing the latest flash on my own machine... I
managed to solve it somehow... I think I used
a special program to fix it or so... I'll have to look into that... This
could be unrelated to the windows update problem though.
So this could just be a seperate issue with flash.).

Bye,
  Skybuck.

> Thread history:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/27f5069955604a61
>
> 0x800A01CE
> The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
>
> Is WinXP SP3 installed?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> A couple of days ago I was at my mother place again... and I tried to fix
>> it
>> and wasted another 1 hour and 30 mins of my life.
>>
>> I was unable to fix it.
>>
>> Windows update displays error: 0x800A01CE
>>
>> Apperently there is a windows update log... I collected both files and
>> put
>> them in a WinRar file so that maybe somebody
>> could take a look at it and see what the problem is:
>>
>> The file is available on the following link:
>>
>> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/WindowsLogVeryMessy.rar
>>
>> The folder is:
>>
>> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/

0
Skybuck
6/29/2010 8:10:55 AM
Wipe & reload.

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> By the way... I did try to re-install flash last sunday when I was
> there...
> (flash 10.1 I think it was)
>
> It totally failed with a very long error message/number... something like:
>
> 00000000_00000000000000000000000000etc.
>
> (I also had problems installing the latest flash on my own machine... I
> managed to solve it somehow... I think I used
> a special program to fix it or so... I'll have to look into that... This
> could be unrelated to the windows update problem though.
> So this could just be a seperate issue with flash.).
>
> Bye,
>  Skybuck.

>> Thread history:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/27f5069955604a61
>>
>> 0x800A01CE
>> The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
>>
>> Is WinXP SP3 installed?

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than

>> bought it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> A couple of days ago I was at my mother place again... and I tried to
>>> fix
>>> it
>>> and wasted another 1 hour and 30 mins of my life.
>>>
>>> I was unable to fix it.
>>>
>>> Windows update displays error: 0x800A01CE
>>>
>>> Apperently there is a windows update log... I collected both files and
>>> put
>>> them in a WinRar file so that maybe somebody
>>> could take a look at it and see what the problem is:
>>>
>>> The file is available on the following link:
>>>
>>> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/WindowsLogVeryMessy.rar
>>>
>>> The folder is:
>>>
>>> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MotherPCWindowsUpdateLog/

0
PA

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

How to Use CRM Web Service to Mark a Service Activity as Billed
I was able to mark a service activity with statecode = 3 and statuscode = 3 using the following code: 'Mark the service activity as billed ServiceActivity.isbilled = New CrmBoolean ServiceActivity.isbilled.Value = True ServiceActivity.cp_billedondate = New CrmDateTime ServiceActivity.cp_billedondate.Value = Now svcCRM.Update(ServiceActivity) However, all closed service activities were NOT marked as billed in the process. So I decided to re-open those closed service activities, mark them as ...

email problems
I am getting the following error message when I try to acces my email. Please advise. Thank you. An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005 In your browser go to http://mail.yahoo.com and log in to that account. Then clean out all the folders in your webmail. If you want to save any messages, create a new folder and move those messages to the new folder. Empty the spam and thrash folders also. Close webmail, then try Windows Mail again. Gary ...

A problem difficulty for me but easy for you!
the problem is the fllowing: 1.Either a database or a table of it has so many records that it is wasting time if we try to operate it in total any time . 2.I want to show some records page by page in the web page.At the same time,maybe I have to sometimes list them order by some fields . 3.To do what 2 shows as quickly as possible,because users don't wait with patience.how can I do? thanks "jifenghu" <jifenghu@mail.ustc.edu.cn> wrote in message news:e0TlxiY5EHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > the problem is the fllowing: > 1.Either a database or a table of it has s...

Problem with starting Word 2007
I have a recurring problem with Word 2007. Every few days (I haven't figured out a pattern yet) Word 2007 will not start. All that shows up is the Word 2007 splash screen. In order to get past this I have to remove the normal.dotm file and reboot. Then I can bring up Word 2007. This problem started a few weeks ago and I have not installed anything new on the computer. I'm runnin Windows7 and MSOffice 2007. I've removed a few add-ons in order to pinpoint the issue but so far no luck. Questions: Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone have suggestions of wha...

Count function problem
I have a formula in a cell which reads: "=IF(COUNT(D13:G13)>=2,J13+MAX(H13,$B$43),0)" When I created this workbook template, the cells from D13 to G13 were blank until I filled them in, and this formula worked fine. However, I've made a change to the workbook. Now I've made D13 through G13 equal to the values in a range of cells from other sheets in the workbook (for e.g. D13 is "=Sheet1!D13". The above formula is now generating the number from B43 by default, even though the cells from D13 to G13 are blank. The "COUNT" help in Excel says: "...

outlook 2003 automatic send receive does not receive all emails
I have 80 users using outlook 2003 with windows XP. When the user press the send/receive button stacks on "send/receive status ##%". Even at sending... Sometimes the outlook completes the send/receive and the user doesn't receive all the emails. If I go on OWA there are new emails that the user didn\t download even though the send/receive is complete. to resolve for the moment the problem, the users have to close the outlook, open it again and then either automatic send/receive or manually they receive the new emails. I checked all windows and office upd...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Problems with creating a budget in 2003
I have set up my annual Bills and Deposits on the MANAGE SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen. Now, when I go to create a budget Money automaticlly recoginizes the bills and deposits that I have set and puts them into my budget along with a dollar amount which is great. However, once I am done creating the rest of my budget and Money shows me the overview of what I spent compared to what I budgeted, it shows that I had NO money budgeted for the bills that were automaticlly transferred in from the SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen even though when I was designing the budget it had ...

Entering data slow program down
Am working on a spreadsheet that is not complicated. Entering data was occuring normally, then it started to slow way down. I am putting in new numbers over the pre-existing ones, and now I get the spinning circle symbol for about four minutes after each entry before I can make another entry. If I click in another cell, the screen gets a white overlay. What am I doing wrong? Thanks John It is hard to know where to start without an understanding of the content of your workbook. To work around your problem (short term), click Tools, Options, Calculation and change to manual. After you up...

Windows Vista

Alternate recipient problem
We have a user with an Exchange mailbox that has an Alternate recipient set with copy retaining by mailbox. Problem is this - we are intermittantly getting emails that hit the exchange mailbox that DO NOT get forwarded on to the Alternate recipient. We know this is the case as we have checked the Alternate recipient's log as well as our outgoing SMTP server's log. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix? Exchange 5.5 sp3 running on NT4 Server. ...

Combo box problem
I have a combo box in a spread sheet I built about 5 years ago, now I need to add some information to the box. I almost sure it's a form box but I could be wrong. I can't seem to find anyway to add the new information, the box get the info from a range If I just add the info in the middle of the range it will show up but it bumps the last item off the list. I've tried right clicking on the cell I've opened the control toolbar the form toolbar nothing seems to work, I can't even recreate the same look for a new box, this combo box seems to be embedded in a cell. not float...

Current Cost Updated by Landed Cost?
Hello: Today, I tried to convince a client that the Current Cost field in Item Maintenance is updated by posting a shipment. They claim that they ahve always knows that this field gets updated by Enter/Match Invoices. But, aside from that, here's my question. If Landed Cost is in place and there is a variance for the Landed Cost amount in Enter/Match Invoices, does this "add into" Current Cost? During a review of Landed Cost, we saw that an item's Current Cost was the amount of a shipment receipt and Landed Cost Variance. Thanks! childofthe1980s Child, I just u...

Wrong Date On Account Update
I am running Money 2004 Version 12.0 update 1. When I download my check book entries & I accept the download for each entry the date is changed from "your entry" in checkbook to "bank entry" That is if I date the check April 1, Money will change that date to the date that it cleared the bank. Is there any way to accept the download but keep the date that the check was written? Under Tools/Options/"On Line Services" tab - remove the check mark from the line that says: "Overwrite transaction date with date from downloaded transactions" Art marv...

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

need card view with active recurring and non-recurring appointments ...
I'm trying to set up a card view that will be a simple list of active appointments, both non-recurring and recurring. I have an Advanced filter, "Start .. on or after ... Today". The problem is the sorting. If I sort by "Start", then the recurring appointments are all listed in front of the non-recurring, because the Start date for a Recurring appointment is the FIRST recurrence. I then sorted first by "Recurring", then by "Start", so that non-recurring appointments are listed in front of the recurring, but that's not what I want, either. Wh...

Problem with AG
I'm having an issue with the AG in an Ex2k3 org setup. Unfortunately, I'm not the enterprise admin but instead a domain admin in a child domain of the forest. I'm setup as the Domain Admin and Exchange Admin in the child domain of an AD forest. I'm not an enterprise admin for the AD forest or the Exchange org. The Exchange org has mutliple AGs corresponding to the each of the many child domains. The issue I'm having pertains solely to the AG that I am setup with Exchange Admins rights to. I have been delegated the control of this AG but only "Exchange Admini...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords