Windows Update - Excel 2003

My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

Extra info:
When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation, deselecting
Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there so I
clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003.
I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that it kept
telling me that it was available.

I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow shield
but it reappeared later on.

It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop it?

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

And the KB number of the update in question is...?

Traci007 wrote:
> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
> able to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update
> at all. I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it
> had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I
> installed it. After failing to install several times, I decided to
> uninstall Excel from Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after
> uninstalling Excel, I still got the windows update alert. How do I stop
> it?
>
> Extra info:
> When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation,
> deselecting
> Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
> updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there
> so
> I clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel
> 2003. I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that
> it kept telling me that it was available.
>
> I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
> from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow
> shield
> but it reappeared later on.
>
> It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop
> it?

0
PA
3/13/2010 7:12:47 AM
I have a similiar problem.

The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
repeatedly.  I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I continually
get the message that I need this update, and then it fails.  I am running XP.
 I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure I
didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version.  (I am running
Office 2000.)  And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
again, and I can't make it stop.

Any ideas?

============

"Traci007" wrote:

> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

And just to clarify, I am running XP-Media version, SP3.  I have never
installed the Office Excel 2003 demo version, but that doesn't mean it didn't
try to install from time to time.  I am running Office 2000.  All the
security updates are automatic.

"TakeNotes" <TakeNotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a similiar problem.
>
> The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
> repeatedly.  I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I
> continually
> get the message that I need this update, and then it fails.  I am running
> XP.
> I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure
> didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version.  (I am running
> Office 2000.)  And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
> again, and I can't make it stop.
>

> Any ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-017.mspx

<quote>
Does the offer to update a non-vulnerable version of Microsoft Office
constitute an issue in the Microsoft update mechanism?

No, the update mechanism is functioning correctly in that it detects a lower
version of the files on the system than in the update package and thus,
offers the update.
</quote>

So, since you apparently need this update, have you tried downloading it and
installing it manually in a more controlled environment?   ; )

If  it still "fails" after that, you will have to be more precise about your
symptom description.  E.g. look in the install log for more clues.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> ============
>
> "Traci007" wrote:
>
>> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
>> able
>> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at
>> all.
>> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
>> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed
>> it.
>> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
>> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I
>> still
>> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

0
Robert
3/13/2010 5:59:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history logs
to find out the problem.

It says Error Code:  0x57A.

I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
resolve this issue.

Still puzzled.

"TakeNotes"

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history
> logs
> to find out the problem.
>
> It says Error Code:  0x57A.

Convert that to decimal and search with it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

(Microsoft search for
    1402 excel update
)

> I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
> resolve this issue.
>
> Still puzzled.

HTH

Robert
---

0
Robert

Outlook 2003 Outbox #5
I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I compose and send emails without a copy going into Outbox? "gatordawg" <james.butts@oracle.com> wrote in message news:1171819936.194411.7800@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every > newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me > to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I c...

outlook 2003 automatic send receive does not receive all emails
I have 80 users using outlook 2003 with windows XP. When the user press the send/receive button stacks on "send/receive status ##%". Even at sending... Sometimes the outlook completes the send/receive and the user doesn't receive all the emails. If I go on OWA there are new emails that the user didn\t download even though the send/receive is complete. to resolve for the moment the problem, the users have to close the outlook, open it again and then either automatic send/receive or manually they receive the new emails. I checked all windows and office upd...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Problems with creating a budget in 2003
I have set up my annual Bills and Deposits on the MANAGE SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen. Now, when I go to create a budget Money automaticlly recoginizes the bills and deposits that I have set and puts them into my budget along with a dollar amount which is great. However, once I am done creating the rest of my budget and Money shows me the overview of what I spent compared to what I budgeted, it shows that I had NO money budgeted for the bills that were automaticlly transferred in from the SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen even though when I was designing the budget it had ...

Windows Vista

Current Cost Updated by Landed Cost?
Hello: Today, I tried to convince a client that the Current Cost field in Item Maintenance is updated by posting a shipment. They claim that they ahve always knows that this field gets updated by Enter/Match Invoices. But, aside from that, here's my question. If Landed Cost is in place and there is a variance for the Landed Cost amount in Enter/Match Invoices, does this "add into" Current Cost? During a review of Landed Cost, we saw that an item's Current Cost was the amount of a shipment receipt and Landed Cost Variance. Thanks! childofthe1980s Child, I just u...

Wrong Date On Account Update
I am running Money 2004 Version 12.0 update 1. When I download my check book entries & I accept the download for each entry the date is changed from "your entry" in checkbook to "bank entry" That is if I date the check April 1, Money will change that date to the date that it cleared the bank. Is there any way to accept the download but keep the date that the check was written? Under Tools/Options/"On Line Services" tab - remove the check mark from the line that says: "Overwrite transaction date with date from downloaded transactions" Art marv...

open windows

Outlook 2003 and VPN
We are connecting to an Exchange 2003 server on a Win 2K server with Outlook 2003 clients. I want to set up outlook to automatically connect to a VPN when they open Outlook. Right now are remote users have to connect to their ISP, Connect to VPN, open Outlook. I would like them to be able to just connect to there isp and than open Outlook and have Outlook extablish the VPN. Thanks ...

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook 2003 Using over 2 GB of memory
Ok, I have been using Outlook 2003 for a while now and have had an odd problem for a while. If I leave outlook open for a long time, it will consume all of of my free memory. I am talking about 700-800 MB of actual memory, and 1.5 - 1.7 GB of my virtual memory by just leaving it open over night, and this repeats as many times as I leave it open. I have restarted the computer, and no luck. Now it is also happening with my laptop, and I am not sure where to go with this. Any Ideas? Do you have a desktop search program installed? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

ADC migration from 5.5
Hi, I'm currently in the start of the process of migration from 5.5 SP4 to 2003, and have a question about the use of the ADC and the replication of accounts to the new system. At the moment we have two domains running, the older NT4 domain and the newer Windows 2003 domain, some of the domain user accounts have been manually moved over to the newer domain and are working fine, although the users emails are still linked to Exchange 5.5 with their owner accounts pointing to the new 2003 user account. My question is, when we start to use the ADC to sync directories, will the ADC cr...

unbound subform updating problem
I have a form with an unbound subform. In the subform, I would like to display all the records from a particular table, sorted on a particular field. So far, quite a simple matter. The issue becomes a little more complicated, however, because the table in question gets altered, based on user input on the main form (the form containing the unbound subform). Not only do the records in the table change, but the table may have columns added to it or deleted from it, and I would like those changes to be reflected in the subform. I can get the updated records to show up in the subform, but when...

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error