Windows Home Server Power Pack 3

KB968349
Power Pack 3 fails to install with windows update
error:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
error 0x80070643: Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349).

Same goes for: dows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)

Any help much appreciated!!

Raystl1n;1611403 Wrote:
> KB968349
> Power Pack 3 fails to install with windows update
> error:
>
> Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update
> with
> error 0x80070643: Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349).

> Same goes for: dows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)
>

> Any help much appreciated!!

Not any help, but I'm having the same problem. I'll let you know if I
find a resolution.

--
Scarchunk

Scarchunk
11/27/2009 3:00:18 AM
You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the
Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

Raystl1n wrote:
> KB968349
> Power Pack 3 fails to install with windows update
> error:
>
> Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
> error 0x80070643: Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349).
> Same goes for: dows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)

0
PA
11/27/2009 5:35:11 AM
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the
> Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052
>

> Raystl1n wrote:
> > KB968349
> > Power Pack 3 fails to install with windows update
> > error:
> >
> > Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
> > error 0x80070643: Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349).
> > Same goes for: dows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)

I'm getting the same error.   Automatic Updates failed initially, then I
tried manually via the Windows Connector, and then again after remoting in
with Remote Desktop.  I restarted the server between attempts.  I don't see
any other errors in the Event Viewer.   Rather disappointing after all this
waiting.

macecil wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the
>> Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052
>>

>> Raystl1n wrote:
>>> KB968349
>>> Power Pack 3 fails to install with windows update
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
>>> error 0x80070643: Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349).
>>> Same goes for: dows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)
>
> I'm getting the same error.   Automatic Updates failed initially, then I
> tried manually via the Windows Connector, and then again after remoting in
> with Remote Desktop.  I restarted the server between attempts.  I don't see
> any other errors in the Event Viewer.   Rather disappointing after all this
> waiting.

Did you follow the procedures in the article PA Bear pointed you to?

   Harry.
0
Harry
11/28/2009 2:51:20 AM
The resolution for me was to uninstall any previous versions of windows
search and then install search 4.0. After that power pack 3 installed
fine.

--
Scarchunk

Scarchunk
11/28/2009 6:06:48 AM
On Nov 28, 1:06=A0am, Scarchunk <Scarchunk.42c...@no-
mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> The resolution for me was to uninstall any previous versions of windows
> search and then install search 4.0. After thatpowerpack3installed
> fine.

I found that if I just uninstalled Windows Search 3.01 then the Power
Pack would install... that is, I did not install Search 4.0, and then
Windows Update successfully applied the Power Pack and then I
rebooted. All is well.

Thanks to this thread I was able to resolve this.
0
Ryan
11/28/2009 11:23:05 PM
"Ryan Germann" wrote:

> On Nov 28, 1:06 am, Scarchunk <Scarchunk.42c...@no-
> mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> > The resolution for me was to uninstall any previous versions of windows
> > search and then install search 4.0. After thatpowerpack3installed
> > fine.
>
> I found that if I just uninstalled Windows Search 3.01 then the Power
> Pack would install... that is, I did not install Search 4.0, and then
> Windows Update successfully applied the Power Pack and then I
> rebooted. All is well.
>
> Thanks to this thread I was able to resolve this.

I enabled the verbose install log according to the notes in this thread but
the resulting log file was 1.2GB in size and I didn't feel like parsing
through that much text.  I did go in and clean up all the partially completed
installs the previous attempts to install PP3 had left behind including the
Windows Search 3.01.  Then after rebooting PP3 was able to install.  Perhaps
it's just that Windows Search that's causing the problem.  Is there even a
need for a search indexer on a WHS that's used as a backup and file server?

"Ryan Germann" wrote:

> On Nov 28, 1:06 am, Scarchunk <Scarchunk.42c...@no-
> mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> > The resolution for me was to uninstall any previous versions of windows
> > search and then install search 4.0. After thatpowerpack3installed
> > fine.
>
> I found that if I just uninstalled Windows Search 3.01 then the Power
> Pack would install... that is, I did not install Search 4.0, and then
> Windows Update successfully applied the Power Pack and then I
> rebooted. All is well.
>
> Thanks to this thread I was able to resolve this.
> .

This solution worked for me too.  Search 3.01 was not cleanly uninstalled by
search 4, there was still the Search 3 entry in the Add Remove programs list.
 Once the Search 3 entry was removed PP3 installed fine.

Thanks for your help.
I do not have Search 3.01 installed in my WHS (I can not find it in the
Add/Remove programs) and I still have the same problem. Installation of PP3
fails. I already reinstalled my WHS some months ago and I do not want to do
this again, just for the PP3. Even after reinstallation, I am not sure it
would work!

Can someone of Microsoft clearly explain the problem? It would be nice if
you could solve this blocking issue. It's not only me who is having this
problem I think.

Thanks Microsoft!

"Leftery" wrote:

> "Ryan Germann" wrote:
>
> > On Nov 28, 1:06 am, Scarchunk <Scarchunk.42c...@no-
> > mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> > > The resolution for me was to uninstall any previous versions of windows
> > > search and then install search 4.0. After thatpowerpack3installed
> > > fine.
> >
> > I found that if I just uninstalled Windows Search 3.01 then the Power
> > Pack would install... that is, I did not install Search 4.0, and then
> > Windows Update successfully applied the Power Pack and then I
> > rebooted. All is well.
> >
> > Thanks to this thread I was able to resolve this.
> > .
> >
> This solution worked for me too.  Search 3.01 was not cleanly uninstalled by
> search 4, there was still the Search 3 entry in the Add Remove programs list.
>  Once the Search 3 entry was removed PP3 installed fine.
>
> Thanks for your help.
: Can someone of Microsoft clearly explain the problem? It would be nice if
: you could solve this blocking issue. It's not only me who is having this
: problem I think.
:
: Thanks Microsoft!

This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup. If you want someone at Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support
:

0
Tom

Publisher problem #3
I had some spywear cleaned off my machine about 6 months ago, I have gone to open a publisher file today (not used publisher since befor the spywear) now it comes up with the following message Cannot load file error PTX19.DLL Any Ideas? PUB2000 Error Message: Publisher Cannot Load the Required File (PTXT9.DLL) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=235385&product=pub2000 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MHW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:090701c49b28$d2ed...

Countif Question #3
I have range that has Registered, Compted, Pre-Registered, Pre-Reg. Only, in another colum I have a range that has Fri., Sat., Sun., (some attendees registered on Friday some on Saturday some on Sunday) All I want to do is count how many each day registered. I can make the piviot table give me a answer but i want something that is automatilcly updated throuought the convention. I would think i could use the countif which works on a single range but how can i work with two ranges? =SUM PRODUCT(A1:A100="Registered")*(B1:B100="Fri")) etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... look...

Question about SBS2008, Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008
I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the SBS2008 domain. I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? Please advise and thanks. john doe wrote: > I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the > SBS2008 domain. > I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. > If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? > Please advise and thanks. > > The SQL shipped with the SBS ...

The "Search" in Windows Explorer.
I have thousands of photos and I need to select these from miscellaneous folders into a specific size, specific dimensions, B&W/colour, colour cast etc. Can WindowsXP explorer be adjusted to do this, or is there some 3rd-party software to do the job? Being able to search and select pixel density would be a help too. Please help, Frank Is Windows (Desktop) Search 4 installed? Frank Martin wrote: > I have thousands of photos and I need to select these from > miscellaneous folders into a specific size, specific > dimensions, B&W/colour, colour cast e...

How do I save a copy of my emails on the server for Outlook 2007?
When I open Outlook 2007, it synchronizes all of my E-mails from my yahoo server to Outlook 2007. I want to keep a copy of my E-mails on my Yahoo Server, how do I do that in Outlook 2007? alei307 <alei307@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I open Outlook 2007, it synchronizes all of my E-mails from my > yahoo server to Outlook 2007. I want to keep a copy of my E-mails on > my Yahoo Server, how do I do that in Outlook 2007? In your account properties, enable the option to leave copies of messages on the server. It should be on the Advanced tab of the properties. --...

Windows Mail After formating my computer
Hi, I would like to know if i lose all my e-mails and contacts and everything i have in my windows mal e-mail, when i format my computer. It is very urgent that i format my computer but i have to be sure i dont lose anything. Thank You. The short answer, you will lose everything on that partition when you form. You will need to back up what you need to save to another partition/Drive. "Catarina" <Catarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28620520-41CF-4A40-881C-B2BA780E97DE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I would like to know if i lose ...

Thunderbird 3 to 2
Hello all I have recently upgraded Thunderbird from 2 to 3, and I much prefer 2. How does one 'downgrade' TB 3 to 2 ? Is this possible without losing all mail etc ? XP, SP3 TIA remove fred before emailing Registered Linux User 490858 Ask here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39 scbs29 wrote: > Hello all > I have recently upgraded Thunderbird from 2 to 3, and I much prefer 2. > How does one 'downgrade' TB 3 to 2 ? Is this possible without losing > all mail etc ? > XP, SP3 > TIA > remove fred before emailing > Registered ...

CRM 3.0 Programmer needed
Anyone out there know of a good CRM 3.0 programmer I can use for some contract worik. I have a variety of small customizations that need to be made. Stuart, You know where to find us :-) Regards, -- Erik van Hoof CWR Mobility Check our weblog at: http://www.cwrmobility.com/weblog "STUARTS" <STUARTS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A12F5A95-7DB4-4F36-BE33-EF3AC5603F93@microsoft.com... > Anyone out there know of a good CRM 3.0 programmer I can use for some > contract worik. I have a variety of small customizations that need to be > made. &q...

Problem installing SP2 for Exchange 2003 on front end server
We have Exchange 2003 sp1 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise. I'm trying install SP2 on the systems. We have a front end server for OWA, and two back end servers with the mailboxes. I know you need to upgrade the front end servers first, but when I try to do the SP2 install on the OWA server, I get the "Setup is loading installation." box, followed a few seconds later by "A fatal setup error has occurred. Look at c:\documents and settings.eventlog.txt for more information. Cancelling setup" The eventlog.txt has a number of normal looking statu...

Can't open other user's folder on different server
Running Win2k/Exchange2k on two servers. Exchange SP3 with rollups applied. One server has Win2k SP4, the other SP3. Both part of the same AD domain. Most users are unable to open mailboxes on the other server, even though they have the rights. If we move the mailbox to the same server they are able to open it (this works 100%). Some users are able to do open mailboxes (the very same ones - we're trying to open a meeting room calendar) on the other servers, but I can see no pattern. Any ideas? Thanks. -GT ...

SQL server 2008 Traces
hi All, I am not able to query trace files(.trc) with fn_trace_gettable. Background is like I have creates 10 trace files and I have been trying to query it with fn_trace_gettable function however I am getting an error " File 'F:\02192010_170130.trc' either does not exist or is not a recognizable trace file. Or there was an error opening the file." I am running my SQL server 2008 on windows 2008. Kindly request your help. Thanking you. Thank you. Prasad Behere (PrasadBehere@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > I am not able to query trace fi...

How do I view all Global Catalog Servers in Active Directory
Guys, Is there a way to view and confirm all the Global Catalog Servers in Active Directory? I'll appreciate your help.Regards. -- Buchi On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:21:01 -0700, "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Guys, >Is there a way to view and confirm all the Global Catalog Servers in Active >Directory? I'll appreciate your help.Regards. You could in the DNS (dnsmgmt.msc) under the _msdcs folder for your AD domain. or nslookup (ls -t SRV ADdomain.com) or look via Sites and Services or use repadmin: (repadmin /showreps YourDC). The result wi...

how to copy 3 spreadsheets and get the formulas to work
I have 3 workbooks, payments payroll and receipts which are linked by formulas. I want to use them as master copies and use them each year. However when I try to copy and rename them the formulas always refer back to the originals and not to the renamed files. Can you help please? With Excel closed, first make a backup of the three workbooks. Then open all three workbooks. At this point each workbook can "see" the other two as an open workbooks. Then SaveAs each workbook with its new name. Then verify that the formulas in all three workbooks refer to the "new ...

OWA on a server not hosting mailboxes ?
hi all, is it possible to setup a server to serve via OWA mailboxes not hosted on this server (both servers are in the same administrative group)? both servers run Exch2K3 TIA, Pierre. "Pierre Bru" <Pierre.Bru@spotimage.fr> wrote in message news:uinerrCcGHA.4604@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > hi all, > > is it possible to setup a server to serve via OWA mailboxes not hosted on > this server (both servers are in the same administrative group)? > > both servers run Exch2K3 > > TIA, > Pierre. It sounds like you are looking for a Front-End server. An ...

Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server
Hi I have the problem in Outlook with this dialog box saying "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <sever name>" The clients have Win XP with Office XP (Outlook 2002 v 10.4712.4219 SP2). Exchange server is Exchange 2000 SP3. When I rollback to Outlook 2000 everything works fine. The exchange server who outlook is retrieving data from is the same server as the users has there mailboxes on. I have checked a large number of Kb articles without solving this issue. How can I solve this big issue? Please HELP //Regards Lars ...

objectGUID of a Exchange member server
I have to perform a regmod that will allow me to expand the info store past 18gb. However to do this I need to get the objectGUID of the Exchange server. Everything I discovered so far pertains to locating the objectGUID on a DC or BDC server to which I've had no problem finding the objectGUID. How would one locate the objectGUID on a Exchange Standard 2003 SP2 member server? Here's a script. http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/03/script-get-store-guids.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------...

installation of 2nd DHCP server
Hi, We have a windows 2003 DHCP server. I am trying to activate another DHCP server (on windows 2003). So that we have to server handling out IP's - what issues should I be aware of, apart from configuring different scopes? Can I preform this during normal working hours Thanks Hello Vishal, I assume you have used the name "biren" in a posting from 18:38 from today so please check the previous posting about. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT...

Cannot print from windows live
I cannot print from windows live mail and after I hit the print button windows live freezes. Any suggestions? You will get more help by posting that issue in the Windows Live Mail = forum: http://www.windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=3D15 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ------------------------------------------------------ "John Bomben" wrote in message = news:#4rEhKGTLHA.5772@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... I cannot print from windows live mail and after I hit the print button windows live freezes. Any suggestions?=20 ...

Hyperlinks in Outlook 2002 Open 2 Browser windows
Hyperlinks in my Outlook 2002 Open 2 Browser windows. Anyone know how to fix this so that only 1 broswer window opens? Thanks! On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:03:45 -0400, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote: >Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote: > >> Hyperlinks in my Outlook 2002 Open 2 Browser windows. Anyone know how >> to fix this so that only 1 broswer window opens? > >If you are using IE as your browser, here's a shot-in-the-dark: In IE, click >Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings and see if it helps. >Also...

Routing mails to another mail server in same machine
Hi I have Exchange 2003 in a machine listening at port 25. I would like to direct all mails received by it to another mail server listening at port 10025 in the same machine. I tried SMTP connectors but I m not sure how to send it to a particular port in the same machine. Any ideas? Thanx Jag On 8 Nov 2006 03:18:28 -0800, "Jag" <jagathishp@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi > >I have Exchange 2003 in a machine listening at port 25. I would like to >direct all mails received by it to another mail server listening at >port 10025 in the same machine. I tried SMTP connecto...

Outlook 2003, two windows open up
When I open Outlook 2003, two windows open up. Both are the same window. Why does this happen and what do I change, to only have the one window open up? A few questions for you: - have you tried closing one of the windows then exiting Outlook normally from the other? - are you, perhaps, double clicking on a quick-launch bar icon? Those are single-click buttons so a double-click will result in two windows, possibly "HaroldSJS" <91hsjs94@gmail.com> wrote in message news:49657f4d$0$4873$607ed4bc@cv.net... > When I open Outlook 2003, two windows open up. Both are the sa...

Windows Live Mail: Autocomplete does not work
I installed Windows Live Mail on 3 separate laptops running Windows 7 and the Autocomplete feature in the To: box does not work. It works fine with contacts loaded in the address book but somehow does not recognise any email addresses that have been used before that are not part of the address book. I have read most posts on the topic and cannot find a solution. From what I can read it should just work by default. I found some posts referring to a registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Recently Used Addresses) but this key does not exist, could t...

Exchange 2000 Keeps Sending the same Mail each time the Server is Restarted.... !
Hi Folks; I'm running Exchange 2000 and I recently sent out email to 5,600 people that belong to my website. The problem is, each time I re-start the server it sends out all those emails - again. I've re-started the server 4 times now over the last few weeks (due to Windows Updates etc) and each time it sends the same emails to the same 5,600 people. Needless to say, people are starting to wonder about me ;-) Does anyone know what would cause Exchange 2000 to do this? Thanks! Marvin Hi, Look in the SMTP queue folder to see if the message is saved there. Leif "Marvin Mill...

ON_WM_DROPFILES()
How do you tell? "some dude" <no@no.com> wrote in message news:uvsggAtlKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How do you tell? WM_DROPFILES is a very old and simple way to get stuff dropped onto your window. It doesn't tell you the source of the drop. For that you need to use the more modern drag and drop methods instead, which are unfortunately more complicated and COM-based. You need to expose IDropTarget object which will tell you these things and also let you do things like allow or deny the drop based on the source/file type, etc. -- David ...

Outlook-Exchange Server sychronization
Hi, I have a question for Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003. I have my users using both Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2003 server. All of the Outlook clients have mail delivery option for email to be delivered to PST files instead of having all of their email on the Exchange server. Once in a while Outlook just goes out the Exchange server and download new email to the local PST mail file for each user. My question is... is there a way to configure or tweak the registry to shorten the time interval so that Outlook can go to the Exchange server to check for new ...