Windows 7 update nightmare

I finally updated from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, as an upgarde rather
than a new installation, on my new Acer desktop OK, but it was a hassle. I
ran the Upgrade Advisor and it said to uninstall ATI Install Manager and
re-install it after the upgrade, and to uninstall Canon Easy Photo-Printer
which was not compatible. So I did. Ran the Upgrade Advisor again and those
problems were gone. Ran the upgrade Windows7 media disk and after waiting for
the compatibility section to do its thing up it came saying that those two
applications were still problems. Trying to bypass them onto the next stage
only resulted in a crash, so, after endless experimenting, I found the only
way to progress was not only to uninstall those two applications but to
remove every trace of their folders and files and shortcuts on the machine,
then to go through the registry with Regedit and remove every trace of them
in every key.  Only then would the upgrade work. Surely an upgrade should be
easier?

Roger

"Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>...so, after endless experimenting, I found the only
> way to progress was not only to uninstall those two applications but to
> remove every trace of their folders and files and shortcuts on the
> machine,
> then to go through the registry with Regedit and remove every trace of
> them
> in every key.  Only then would the upgrade work. Surely an upgrade should
> be
> easier?
>
> Roger

Wow.  At first, I thought your use of the word "nightmare" might have been
hyperbole.  Turns out, it was not.  Thanks for sharing this.  Too bad
there's not a Windows 7 newsgroup where this could have been posted (I'm
wondering if Microsoft wants to force us to use the social sites.)

I hope that you also post this in these forums:

http://windows7forums.com

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://www.sevenforums.com/

David Dickinson
eveningstar at mvps dot org

0
David
11/14/2009 9:42:54 PM
How does your post pertain to Windows Update (vs. upgrading Windows), Roger?

Win7-specific "Install, activate & upgrade" support forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads

(No, there are no Win7-specific newsgroups, only web-based forums.)

Roger wrote:
> I finally updated from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, as an upgarde
> rather
> than a new installation, on my new Acer desktop OK, but it was a hassle. I
> ran the Upgrade Advisor and it said to uninstall ATI Install Manager and
> re-install it after the upgrade, and to uninstall Canon Easy Photo-Printer
> which was not compatible. So I did. Ran the Upgrade Advisor again and
> those
> problems were gone. Ran the upgrade Windows7 media disk and after waiting
> for the compatibility section to do its thing up it came saying that those
> two applications were still problems. Trying to bypass them onto the next
> stage only resulted in a crash, so, after endless experimenting, I found
> the only way to progress was not only to uninstall those two applications
> but to remove every trace of their folders and files and shortcuts on the
> machine, then to go through the registry with Regedit and remove every
> trace of them in every key.  Only then would the upgrade work. Surely an
> upgrade should be easier?

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:53:47 PM
There is a Win 7 specific newsgroup.  alt.windows7.general.

Currently it is found on nntp.aioe.org.  you don't have to register or sign
in or pay.

Regards

> How does your post pertain to Windows Update (vs. upgrading Windows),
> Roger?
>
> Win7-specific "Install, activate & upgrade" support forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads
>
> (No, there are no Win7-specific newsgroups, only web-based forums.)
>

> Roger wrote:
>> I finally updated from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, as an upgarde
>> rather
>> than a new installation, on my new Acer desktop OK, but it was a hassle.
>> ran the Upgrade Advisor and it said to uninstall ATI Install Manager and
>> re-install it after the upgrade, and to uninstall Canon Easy
>> Photo-Printer
>> which was not compatible. So I did. Ran the Upgrade Advisor again and
>> those
>> problems were gone. Ran the upgrade Windows7 media disk and after waiting
>> for the compatibility section to do its thing up it came saying that
>> those
>> two applications were still problems. Trying to bypass them onto the next
>> stage only resulted in a crash, so, after endless experimenting, I found
>> the only way to progress was not only to uninstall those two applications
>> but to remove every trace of their folders and files and shortcuts on the
>> machine, then to go through the registry with Regedit and remove every
>> trace of them in every key.  Only then would the upgrade work. Surely an
>> upgrade should be easier?

0
Bullwinkle
> How does your post pertain to Windows Update (vs. upgrading Windows),
> Roger?
>
> Win7-specific "Install, activate & upgrade" support forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads
>
> (No, there are no Win7-specific newsgroups, only web-based forums.)

It might not be politically advantageous, but a lot of people consider
Windows 7 to be an update to Vista.  Given that there aren't many
significant differences other than the loss of a lot of functionality,
configurability, and visual information, some unnecessarily cumbersome
reconfigurations of WinNT-era controls (file and folder security dialogs
comes to mind), and some performance improvements, I don't consider the
matter worth debating.  They're not different creatures.

When an operating system allows me to ditch my keyboard and mouse and
control it vocally and visually, then we'll be talking "upgrade".

And some of us simply prefer to use newsgroups.  The fact that Microsof has
decided not to mirror the messages on their web sites and newsgroups forums
for Windows 7, which was their practice for over a decade, doesn't leave
newsgroupies with many options.  Think of the OP's post as a kind of
protest, and civil disobedience.

We shall overcome!

David Dickinson
eveningstar at mvps dot org

Windows 7 Annoyance #28:
As with Vista, the visual user interface design controls are split up into
many different windows and dialog boxes rather than being conveniently
accessible in a single dialog box as they were in Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98,
95, NT, 3.x, and 2.x (I don't know about Windows 1.0 because I never used
it).  Drastically changing a visual controls configuration that has been in
use for two decades has been done too casually, leaving many inexpert users
stumbling about looking for things that they had previously (and finally)
learned to use.

0
David
11/15/2009 1:58:19 AM
Upgrading to Win7 does not entail any Windows Update functionality
whatsoever.  As such, discussions of upgrading to Windows is off-topic in
this newsgroup as well as in the Windows Update-specific forum, David.

[It's bad enough that the WU-specific forum, which handles all traffic from
Win7, Vista, and WinXP forums, has become swamped with posts about upgrading
to Win7.]

> Upgrading to Win7 does not entail any Windows Update functionality
> whatsoever.  As such, discussions of upgrading to Windows is off-topic in
> this newsgroup as well as in the Windows Update-specific forum, David.

You're absolutely correct!  I should have made it clear that I don't
disagree.  But I understand why the OP posted that issue here, and I won't
hold it against him.  As I said, I simply consider it to be an act of
justified civil disobedience because there are no Windows 7-related
newsgroups.  Sure, I'm certain that the OP didn't intend to violate any
social protocols, but even if it was accidental, civil disobedience it was.

> [It's bad enough that the WU-specific forum, which handles all traffic
> from Win7, Vista, and WinXP forums, has become swamped with posts about
> upgrading to Win7.]

Thus the need to create a set of Windows 7-related newsgroups.  They should
exactly mirror the official "social" web-based forums, as they have for many
years.  But Microsoft wants us to move to the "social" web sites (for some
reason that they haven't made clear).

And I protest!  Give me USENET or give me death!  :-J

David

0
David
11/15/2009 8:04:27 AM
FWIW:

The IE-specific Win7, Vista, & WinXP forums all point to
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads/

There isn't even a Win7-specific newsgroup on the private MVP server.  (Talk
about howls of protests! <w>)

David Dickinson wrote:
>> Upgrading to Win7 does not entail any Windows Update functionality
>> whatsoever.  As such, discussions of upgrading to Windows is off-topic in
>> this newsgroup as well as in the Windows Update-specific forum, David.
>
> You're absolutely correct!  I should have made it clear that I don't
> disagree.  But I understand why the OP posted that issue here, and I won't
> hold it against him.  As I said, I simply consider it to be an act of
> justified civil disobedience because there are no Windows 7-related
> newsgroups.  Sure, I'm certain that the OP didn't intend to violate any
> social protocols, but even if it was accidental, civil disobedience it
> was.
>
>> [It's bad enough that the WU-specific forum, which handles all traffic
>> from Win7, Vista, and WinXP forums, has become swamped with posts about
>> upgrading to Win7.]
>
> Thus the need to create a set of Windows 7-related newsgroups.  They
> should
> exactly mirror the official "social" web-based forums, as they have for
> many
> years.  But Microsoft wants us to move to the "social" web sites (for some
> reason that they haven't made clear).
>
> And I protest!  Give me USENET or give me death!  :-J
>
> David

0
PA
11/15/2009 4:09:00 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> The IE-specific Win7, Vista, & WinXP forums all point to
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads/
>
> There isn't even a Win7-specific newsgroup on the private MVP server.
> (Talk about howls of protests! <w>)

> David Dickinson wrote:
>>> Upgrading to Win7 does not entail any Windows Update functionality
>>> whatsoever.  As such, discussions of upgrading to Windows is
>>> off-topic in
>>> this newsgroup as well as in the Windows Update-specific forum, David.
>>
>> You're absolutely correct!  I should have made it clear that I don't
>> disagree.  But I understand why the OP posted that issue here, and I
>> won't
>> hold it against him.  As I said, I simply consider it to be an act of
>> justified civil disobedience because there are no Windows 7-related
>> newsgroups.  Sure, I'm certain that the OP didn't intend to violate any
>> social protocols, but even if it was accidental, civil disobedience it
>> was.
>>
>>> [It's bad enough that the WU-specific forum, which handles all traffic
>>> from Win7, Vista, and WinXP forums, has become swamped with posts about
>>> upgrading to Win7.]
>>
>> Thus the need to create a set of Windows 7-related newsgroups.  They
>> should
>> exactly mirror the official "social" web-based forums, as they have
>> for many
>> years.  But Microsoft wants us to move to the "social" web sites (for
>> some
>> reason that they haven't made clear).
>>
>> And I protest!  Give me USENET or give me death!  :-J
>>
>> David

PA Bear, I agree with both of you in principle, but I am happy to use
the social forums because there seems to be a lack of trolls there.
Perhaps that is what MS has in mind in the first place.
Dave T.
0
Dave
11/15/2009 4:43:58 PM
"Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message

> PA Bear, I agree with both of you in principle, but I am happy to use the
> social forums because there seems to be a lack of trolls there. Perhaps
> that is what MS has in mind in the first place.
> Dave T.

Forums without trolls?  Then they are simply moderated forums, as the
newsgroups could be.

0
David
> FWIW:
>
> The IE-specific Win7, Vista, & WinXP forums all point to
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads/
>
> There isn't even a Win7-specific newsgroup on the private MVP server.
> (Talk about howls of protests! <w>)

And there used to be an Italian Windows 7 group on msnews,
microsoft.public.it.windows7, but now it is gone.  I would think that such a
policy change might benefit from a public statement in explanation, but I
sure haven't seen one.  For instance, if integrating the newsgroups into
their support search tool was proving to be impractical (which could be true
for many reasons), they could offer that explanation.  But it's like they're
being sneaky about it.  Ick!

0
David
11/15/2009 7:47:35 PM
David Dickinson wrote:
> "Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> PA Bear, I agree with both of you in principle, but I am happy to use
>> the social forums because there seems to be a lack of trolls there.
>> Perhaps that is what MS has in mind in the first place.
>> Dave T.
>
> Forums without trolls?  Then they are simply moderated forums, as the
> newsgroups could be.

Exactly! But wait, the newsgroups are not moderated, hence the trolls. I
suppose the concept of attempting to moderate usenet is more than any
entity might want to undertake. I don't blame them for that, and it
*may* explain why the MS Social forums exist. I support the freedom of
usenet, but using that freedom to spew filth because they have no other
life is not something I want to live with. That is MY freedom.

Dave T.
0
Dave
11/15/2009 8:27:08 PM

Dave T. wrote:

> Exactly! But wait, the newsgroups are not moderated, hence the trolls.

Newsgroups ARE moderated except that the MVPs responsible are completely
useless in their responsibilities.  I suggest try posting a link to a
porn site and within minutes that antipodean who claims to have high
moral values will remove it as soon as he wakes up.  Alternatively tell
an MVP that he is a a very smelly Most Valuable Pig  and this too will
be removed immediately.

hth

0
ANONYMOUS
11/15/2009 10:45:22 PM
Dave T. wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> FWIW:
>>
>> The IE-specific Win7, Vista, & WinXP forums all point to
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads/
>>
>> There isn't even a Win7-specific newsgroup on the private MVP server.
>> (Talk about howls of protests! <w>)
>
> PA Bear, I agree with both of you in principle, but I am happy to use
> the social forums because there seems to be a lack of trolls there.
> Perhaps that is what MS has in mind in the first place.

There are plenty of clueless trolls in those forums, believe me.  In the
forums, however, MS both owns the content and controls it (since you must
have a Live ID to post).  The former is the most likely reason MS moved all
Win7 support to those forums.

0
PA
11/16/2009 1:42:39 AM
Dave T. wrote:
>> Forums without trolls?  Then they are simply moderated forums, as the
>> newsgroups could be.
>>

> Exactly! But wait, the newsgroups are not moderated, hence the trolls...

There are several moderated MS newsgroups.  None of them are publicly
accessible, however...nor are the forums, unless you just want read-only
access.

0
PA
11/16/2009 1:44:54 AM
David Dickinson wrote:
>> FWIW:
>>
>> The IE-specific Win7, Vista, & WinXP forums all point to
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads/
>>
>> There isn't even a Win7-specific newsgroup on the private MVP server.
>> (Talk about howls of protests! <w>)
>
> And there used to be an Italian Windows 7 group on msnews,
> microsoft.public.it.windows7, but now it is gone.  I would think that such
> policy change might benefit from a public statement in explanation, but I
> sure haven't seen one.  For instance, if integrating the newsgroups into
> their support search tool was proving to be impractical (which could be
> true
> for many reasons), they could offer that explanation.  But it's like
> they're
> being sneaky about it.  Ick!

Sinofsky and his mafia being sneaky?  Perish the thought!

0
PA

Z Report #7
Hi everyone, I need to understand the X Report. Specially when you use layaways, is not clear to me where it shows the payments against the final sale. Is there a document that would explain each line of this report??? Thanks, Sacha can't remember where I found this. hope it helps Register - Number given to register where report was produced Batch Number - The number assigned by Store Operations to identify the current batch. Batch Status - Shows whether the batch is closed or not Start Date - Date when batch begins Start Time - Time when batch begins End Date - Date when batch...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

Current Cost Updated by Landed Cost?
Hello: Today, I tried to convince a client that the Current Cost field in Item Maintenance is updated by posting a shipment. They claim that they ahve always knows that this field gets updated by Enter/Match Invoices. But, aside from that, here's my question. If Landed Cost is in place and there is a variance for the Landed Cost amount in Enter/Match Invoices, does this "add into" Current Cost? During a review of Landed Cost, we saw that an item's Current Cost was the amount of a shipment receipt and Landed Cost Variance. Thanks! childofthe1980s Child, I just u...

Wrong Date On Account Update
I am running Money 2004 Version 12.0 update 1. When I download my check book entries & I accept the download for each entry the date is changed from "your entry" in checkbook to "bank entry" That is if I date the check April 1, Money will change that date to the date that it cleared the bank. Is there any way to accept the download but keep the date that the check was written? Under Tools/Options/"On Line Services" tab - remove the check mark from the line that says: "Overwrite transaction date with date from downloaded transactions" Art marv...

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

unbound subform updating problem
I have a form with an unbound subform. In the subform, I would like to display all the records from a particular table, sorted on a particular field. So far, quite a simple matter. The issue becomes a little more complicated, however, because the table in question gets altered, based on user input on the main form (the form containing the unbound subform). Not only do the records in the table change, but the table may have columns added to it or deleted from it, and I would like those changes to be reflected in the subform. I can get the updated records to show up in the subform, but when...

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...

Can I use cell contents to update footers in excel?
I want to create dynamic footers with information in a cell. Is there a way to do this? You'll need to use an Event Macro. One way: Put something like this in your ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets ws.PageSetup.LeftFooter = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Text Next ws End Sub If you're not familiar with macros, take a look at David McRitchie's "Getting Started with Macros": http://www.mvps.org/d...

"Automated Client Updates" in GP9
The "Automated Client Updates" feature in GP9 requires the update to be either a .cnk or .msp file. Is there a way to put a "package" file in this format in order to use the feature to release new reports, modifier or vba changes? Thanks, Reid ...

We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I keep getting the same error: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820 I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to the audio and...

Windows Workflow Foundation
Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would be greatful Simon After much searching and trawling through C# examples that as its friday i didn't want to convert.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2e575633-e357-4ee7-aaff-34138f00e830&displaylang=en Simon "Simon Whale" <simon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23zfF5ScwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would > be greatful > > > Simon > ...