Windows 7 Update error 80072F78

I am recieving this error for the last month, I have tried many 'fixes' I
have found on various sites. Still it will not connect to update.

I am on a large network (The only computer with windows 7!) and we changed
all the connection details, auto and manual and still nothing. Changed proxy
settings, disabled them, running out of options!

My last successful update batch (20th Jan) failed on an update for HP
Display. From then its not worked. Don't know if its anything to do with it,
but information none the less.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Search the internet for this error code.  There has been quite a bit of
instances of this code.

It was ill advised to get an update via Microsoft Update for hardware not
made by MS.

Jim
"Kathryn W." <Kathryn W.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am recieving this error for the last month, I have tried many 'fixes' I
> have found on various sites. Still it will not connect to update.
>
> I am on a large network (The only computer with windows 7!) and we changed
> all the connection details, auto and manual and still nothing. Changed
> proxy
> settings, disabled them, running out of options!
>
> My last successful update batch (20th Jan) failed on an update for HP
> Display. From then its not worked. Don't know if its anything to do with
> it,
> but information none the less.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

0
Jim
2/28/2010 9:48:02 PM
Kathryn W. wrote:
> I am recieving this error for the last month, I have tried many
> 'fixes' I have found on various sites. Still it will not connect to
> update.
>
> I am on a large network (The only computer with windows 7!) and we
> changed all the connection details, auto and manual and still
> nothing. Changed proxy settings, disabled them, running out of
> options!
>
> My last successful update batch (20th Jan) failed on an update for
> HP Display. From then its not worked. Don't know if its anything to
> do with it, but information none the less.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Hardware updates for non-microsoft hardware - *do not do*.  Microsoft did
not make nor do they directly support your non-microsoft hardware.  Although
they may have drivers there for your non-microsoft hardware, they are often
(if not always) several versions behind.  Always go to your hardware
manufacturer's support web pages for hardware device drivers and then - only
when you have a specific reason to get a hardware driver update (why fix
something you are not having an issue with or need a new feature out of?)

I would - if I were in your shoes - do the following:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Verify your time settings *are* accurate:
(Time Zone included.)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-the-clock

It needs to be as accurate as plausible, so also click on the link at the
bottom area of that web page for: "Synchronizing with an Internet time
server"

Perform a full CHKDSK:
http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Defragment your system drive:
http://windows.about.com/od/maintainandfix/ss/SBSdefragWin7.htm
(May want to schedule one as well.)

If you have *any* third party firewall software (especially if part of some
suite including AntiVirus) completely uninstall it and reboot.  Use the
built-in Windows firewall.

If you ever had (but no longer have) any Norton products on the system -
download and run the Norton Removal Tool.  If you ever had (but no longer
have) any McAfee products on the system - download and run the McAfee
Removal Tool.  Reboot after either/both of those...

Whatever AntiVirus software you have (please come back and let everyone
know) - try disabling its active scanner the next time you try to update (no
web surfing while you update and have your AV off, please.)

Do you have *any* encrypted folders?

What are your Automatic Update settings?

Is this 32 or 64-bit Windows 7?

I suppose you looked through this KB article:

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

By the way, as you can see, your error equates to:
"ERROR_WINHTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE"

You are trying to update from Microsoft - right?

If not - your IT Support (who may have you pointing to a WSUS server for
your updates) may need to patch their WSUS server.  I have encountered many
IT support people who did not and encountered trouble updating their Windows
7 additions.

You mentioned this being on a "large network" - so...  I could assume it was
in a domain and may have gotten some domain group policy settings pointing
it to some WSUS server which - if not updated - might give you such
errors/messages.

Whatever the case - come back - keep this conversation going for the
benefits of the many who might find it over the next several years if not
just yourself.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/28/2010 10:06:31 PM
Hello Kathryn ,

Please confirm your system clock, and Time Zone also the Date are set
properly,
Having it set incorrectly can cause this type of error.
-=-

Kathryn W. wrote:
> [...]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

By the way, as you can see, your error equates to:
"ERROR_WINHTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE"

You are trying to update from Microsoft - right?

If not - your IT Support (who may have you pointing to a WSUS server for
your updates) may need to patch their WSUS server.  I have encountered many
IT support people who did not and encountered trouble updating their Windows
7 additions.

You mentioned this being on a "large network" - so...  I could assume it was
in a domain and may have gotten some domain group policy settings pointing
it to some WSUS server which - if not updated - might give you such
errors/messages.

Whatever the case - come back - keep this conversation going for the
benefits of the many who might find it over the next several years if not

3/1/2010 1:16:40 AM
[Maybe her clock's in the sink, too?]

Ǝиçεl wrote:
> Hello Kathryn ,
>
> Please confirm your system clock, and Time Zone also the Date are set
> properly,
> Having it set incorrectly can cause this type of error.
> -=-
>
> "Kathryn W." wrote:
>
>> I am recieving this error for the last month, I have tried many 'fixes' I
>> have found on various sites. Still it will not connect to update.
>>
>> I am on a large network (The only computer with windows 7!) and we
>> changed
>> all the connection details, auto and manual and still nothing. Changed
>> proxy settings, disabled them, running out of options!
>>
>> My last successful update batch (20th Jan) failed on an update for HP
>> Display. From then its not worked. Don't know if its anything to do with
>> it, but information none the less.
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

0
PA

Z Report #7
Hi everyone, I need to understand the X Report. Specially when you use layaways, is not clear to me where it shows the payments against the final sale. Is there a document that would explain each line of this report??? Thanks, Sacha can't remember where I found this. hope it helps Register - Number given to register where report was produced Batch Number - The number assigned by Store Operations to identify the current batch. Batch Status - Shows whether the batch is closed or not Start Date - Date when batch begins Start Time - Time when batch begins End Date - Date when batch...

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

when I log off my PC I get this OE error
Hi, I've noticed over the last few weeks that when I shut down my PC for the night I get a "end task" dialog and the title says something about Outlook Express folder sync. Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue. thanks nobody wrote: > Hi, > I've noticed over the last few weeks that when I shut down my PC for the > night I get a "end task" dialog and the title says something about Outlook > Express folder sync. > > Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue. > > thanks > > If you have your anti vi...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Linker Errors
Hi Guys, After I changed my WINVER, _WIN32_WINNT, and _WIN32_WINDOWS all to 0x501, in order to get access to PrintWindow, I get a bunch of linker errors that have stummped me. It says it can't find _xGetMonitorInfo, _xMonitorFromWindow, and _xGetSystemMetrics. I suspect that I have to update my SDK, here is the question, if I'm using VS2003, can I update my SDK to get rid of this problem? AliR. AliR wrote: > Hi Guys, > > After I changed my WINVER, _WIN32_WINNT, and _WIN32_WINDOWS all to 0x501, in > order to get access to PrintWindow, I get a...

Windows Vista

open windows

Wrong Date On Account Update
I am running Money 2004 Version 12.0 update 1. When I download my check book entries & I accept the download for each entry the date is changed from "your entry" in checkbook to "bank entry" That is if I date the check April 1, Money will change that date to the date that it cleared the bank. Is there any way to accept the download but keep the date that the check was written? Under Tools/Options/"On Line Services" tab - remove the check mark from the line that says: "Overwrite transaction date with date from downloaded transactions" Art marv...

Current Cost Updated by Landed Cost?
Hello: Today, I tried to convince a client that the Current Cost field in Item Maintenance is updated by posting a shipment. They claim that they ahve always knows that this field gets updated by Enter/Match Invoices. But, aside from that, here's my question. If Landed Cost is in place and there is a variance for the Landed Cost amount in Enter/Match Invoices, does this "add into" Current Cost? During a review of Landed Cost, we saw that an item's Current Cost was the amount of a shipment receipt and Landed Cost Variance. Thanks! childofthe1980s Child, I just u...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

can someone help with this error?
Error: "The form required to view this message can not be displayed. Contact your administrator" One of my users gets this error when trying to open an email that originated from a yahoo web based email account. In her outlook inbox the email contains an attatchment to each forwarded message. It is when clicking to open the forwarded message that the error occurs. Note that this same email opens fine on other computers using the same version of Outlook. The 'original' message is several 'forwarded' messages deep and contains pictures. When I look at it my title bar ...

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Error message trying to recover deleted items
User receives the following error going into 'Recover Deleted Items', then Outlook closes: OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks. ...

Quick Campaign error 02-15-06
When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following error. "you do not have enough priviliges to access the Microsoft CRM object or perform the requested operation. Contact your system admin." User is crm admin. No logging in the event viewer + no difference when dev error are turned on in webconfig file. Any ideas? "Frederic @ Traviata" wrote: > When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the > campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following...

Windows recovery console

unbound subform updating problem
I have a form with an unbound subform. In the subform, I would like to display all the records from a particular table, sorted on a particular field. So far, quite a simple matter. The issue becomes a little more complicated, however, because the table in question gets altered, based on user input on the main form (the form containing the unbound subform). Not only do the records in the table change, but the table may have columns added to it or deleted from it, and I would like those changes to be reflected in the subform. I can get the updated records to show up in the subform, but when...

Install error : report module
Hi, does someone met such message error when loading the Crystal report module ? " Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Assembly microsoft.crm.platform.types.dll security permission grant set is incompatible between appdomains. Source Error: Line 5: <assemblies> Line 6: <add assembly="Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy, Version=1.0.0000.0, Culture=neutr...

Error message when trying to open an assigned task
I have users who are assigned tasks into their Outlook 2000 inbox. However when they try to open them they get the error message; Can't open this item. The property does not exist. The field you want to modify is not valid for this type of item. I have searched Technet for this error but only got one hit and that was to do with Outlook 98 and contacts so was not relevant. Any help on this would be appreciated. ...