updater in system tray disappears

Windows XP SP3, IE7

When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I
click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install.  It
starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes
back to let me install the updates.  --  Even if I reboot.

So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates
I want.  After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon
appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can
install these updates now.

At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updates.

This is mostly a minor annoyance, but just curious, as to what could be
causing this behavior.
0
Jim

With any of the Automatic Updates options selected, you will only see AU's
yellow "Updates are ready to be installed" icon when all of the approved
updates have downloaded or installed.

If some but not all of the approved updates have downloaded, you may
encounter a "Click to install important updates and then shut down" button
when you go to turn off your computer.  Doing so will install the
already-downloaded updates (see Event Log | System section).

   . Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Update Notifications and
Install-at-Shutdown Behavior:
   http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2009/06/26/update-notifications-and-install-at-shutdown.aspx

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093), you may see a delay (i.e., in
downloading or installing all approved updates) caused by excessive demand
on the servers ("Update is not allowed to download due to regulation").
See...

   . Updates are not downloaded or the "Automatic Updates" icon does not
display the status of downloads when you enable the Automatic Updates
service

In most cases, you can install all of the desired updates manually via
Windows/Microsoft Update website (WinXP) or by running Windows Update
manually (Vista) instead: Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all
other Automatic Updates users further back in the queue...which may explain,
at least in part, why Automatic Updates may not have brought them in for you
yet.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Jim Madsen wrote:
> Windows XP SP3, IE7
>
> When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I
> click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install.  It
> starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes
> back to let me install the updates.  --  Even if I reboot.
>
> So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates
> I want.  After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon
> appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can
> install these updates now.
>
> At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updates.
>
> This is mostly a minor annoyance, but just curious, as to what could be
> causing this behavior.

0
PA
12/16/2009 6:26:24 AM
Jim,

What's occurring is that Automatic Updates can not download one of the
offered updates due to it being "PerUpdate" regulated. If you use IE to
visit either Windows or Microsoft Update, the update is then detected as
being needed, downloaded, and installed with no regulation. While that
is occurring the update icon pops up in the Notification Area and
depending upon the setting of AU, will state that the update is ready to
be installed or downloaded.

When one of the updates is being regulated you'll notice that if you
click Shutdown there's an overlay on Shutdown that states updates will
be installed when the system is turned off along with a link to shutdown
the system without installing updates.
I've seen this behavior on 2 XP systems that were just updated the past
2 days. On one I navigated to
WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download
located the recently downloaded updates, drilled down to the Update
subfolder, checked the KBxxxxxx.CAT to confirm which update it was, and
then ran update.exe to install them.
On the other system I  just used the Microsoft Update site to bring down
the "PerUpdate" regulated update, ignored the update icon in the
Notification Area, and all of the previously downloaded update plus the
"PerUpdate" regulated update installed.

You can confirm that one of the updates is being regulated by checking
the WindowsUpdate.log:
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Once the WU.log is open, scroll down towards it's end for the most
recent entries. Look for an entry like this:

2009-12-17	09:29:21:515	 980	d14	DnldMgr	Regulation:
{7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} - Update
6821815B-8861-4014-BB33-4E9B0CC0E81E is "PerUpdate" regulated and can
NOT download. Sequence 1262 vs AcceptRate 0.

Once the update is downloaded, the update's Bundle number is listed
along with it's KB number. For the above update,
6821815B-8861-4014-BB33-4E9B0CC0E81E, it turned out to be KB955759

2009-12-17	09:29:32:320	 980	c54	Agent	  *   Title = Update for Windows
XP (KB955759)
2009-12-17	09:29:32:320	 980	c54	Agent	  *   UpdateId =
{6ACD6BCB-A59F-4926-A76E-D07E0C1ECA73}.100
2009-12-17	09:29:32:320	 980	c54	Agent	  *     Bundles 1 updates:
2009-12-17	09:29:32:320	 980	c54	Agent	  *
{6821815B-8861-4014-BB33-4E9B0CC0E81E}

As to why update notification behaves like this, here's MS' explanation:

Update Notifications and Install-at-Shutdown Behavior
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2009/06/26/update-notifications-and-install-at-shutdown.aspx

It's highly annoying and most folks will never figure out what is
actually happening. Me, I'm "persistent". <w>

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Jim Madsen wrote:

> Windows XP SP3, IE7
>
> When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I
> click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install.  It
> starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes
> back to let me install the updates.  --  Even if I reboot.
>
> So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates
> I want.  After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon
> appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can
> install these updates now.
>
> At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updates.
>
> This is mostly a minor annoyance, but just curious, as to what could be
> causing this behavior.
0
MowGreen

System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CreateCompiler() is obsole
I am loading a script file to compile on the fly: ICodeCompiler compiler = new Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider().CreateCompiler(); While it builds and runs I get a warning that this calls is obsolete: warning CS0618: 'System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CreateCompiler()' is obsolete: 'Callers should not use the ICodeCompiler interface and should instead use the methods directly on the CodeDomProvider class. Those inheriting from CodeDomProvider must still implement this interface, and should exclude this warning or also obsolete this method.' What does this me...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Excel Problem: Cursur disappears over Sheet
I have rescently had a spreadsheet sent to me with a price list with macros which ran very well. Since that time my cursor disappears when it is over a sheet but reappears when the mouse is moved to the top menu or the side bar. It must be a macro problem. (?? Virus). I have run an updated Nortons Antivirus check with no viruses found. This must be an Excel macro error. Can anyone help me to correct this problem? ...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Document Management System
I would like to implement a document management system which allows users to search for files on an intranet. Ideally when you find a file/document, you should be able to note its attributes: namely features like: location, author, type of file, what other files are related to it..e.g an Excel worksheet may be related to a jpg. Secondly the system should allow you to add files onto the system...and as you add, you will allocate the various attributes of the file e.g. if its a file for Sales Department, it will have attributes such as salesperson who created it, name of department, sheet no ...

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...