Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down

Hi,
When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates installing,
do not turn off your computer",  nothing installs and my computer doesn't
automatically turn off like it usually does.  I have had to turn it off at
the power switch, when I press the off button on the CPU, nothing happens.

It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1 updates,"
to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down automatically."

I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

Thanks

KTexas wrote:
> When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates
> installing, do not turn off your computer",  nothing installs and
> my computer doesn't automatically turn off like it usually does.  I
> have had to turn it off at the power switch, when I press the off
> button on the CPU, nothing happens.
>
> It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1
> updates," to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down
> automatically."
>
> I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

How long have you given it to do the installation?

Your power button is likely a 'soft' one - meaning it is electronic - not
mechanical.  If you *really* want to force it off - you will have to hold it
down ofr 8+ seconds.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/25/2010 2:02:50 AM
I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just keeps going
from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your computer."  I finally just
went in and changed my setting to "notify me before downloading or installing
updates.  I really don't want to do this, I would rather they install
automatically.  The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung.  When I look at my
history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.

I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic updates but
don't want to keep having to turn off the computer.  Please advise, and
thanks!

KTexas wrote:
> I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just
> keeps going from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your
> computer."  I finally just went in and changed my setting to
> "notify me before downloading or installing updates.  I really
> don't want to do this, I would rather they install automatically.
> The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung.  When I look at my
> history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.
>
> I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic
> updates but don't want to keep having to turn off the computer.
> Please advise, and thanks!

Without knowing which update (KB######), what operating system (Windows ____
____ Edition), what service pack (1, 2, 3, if any) and what architecture
(32-bit or 64-bit) - help could be limited.  ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
6/25/2010 9:44:02 PM
I am having exactly the same problem and have been for approx three weeks. I
have also disabled my automatic updates and it sticks on 'installing 1 of 11'
' do not turn off your computer' but nothing happens. I am running windows
xp, and have service pack 2 installed also, with regards to the 64 bit
thingy, I have no idea, I'm not that computer literate. A bit more
information and help from Windows customer help would be appreciated as to
what the possible problem could be and what can be done about it.

Annwyn wrote:
> I am having exactly the same problem and have been for approx three
> weeks. I have also disabled my automatic updates and it sticks on
> 'installing 1 of 11' ' do not turn off your computer' but nothing
> happens. I am running windows xp, and have service pack 2 installed
> also, with regards to the 64 bit thingy, I have no idea, I'm not
> that computer literate. A bit more information and help from
> Windows customer help would be appreciated as to what the possible
> problem could be and what can be done about it.

Are you sure you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2?

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
(No "RUN", press the WindowsKey+R at the same time.)
  winver
--> Click OK.

That will give you (picture at top) the full name of the operating system.
That will give you (in the test) the Service Pack you have installed.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit
version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Did you call/contact the "Windows customer help"?  This is a peer-to-peer
(in my case) newsgroup (forum) where people can come to get help and/or help
if they can.

If you *do* have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and it is 32-bit (see above
for details on how to figure that out) - then...

Why still Service Pack 2?

What I think you should do - if you have Windows XP 32-bit with SP2 or
later...

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you may (hopefully) have SP3 already...
    If not - now is not the time.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon.  When asked, select "RUN",
both times.  Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next".  Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next".  Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.  Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.  (If you already have it - so be it...)

After all that...

 How to use Disk Cleanup
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

Come back - especially if you get stuck someplace, but even if you don't -
and let everyone know how it turns out.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

How to drag a picture from html page and save to local computer #2
Hi, I had written an application with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0(with sp5), I wanna drag a picture from html page and drop in my application, a dialog-based application, but I don't know how to set the clipboard format, CF_GIF?, and, If I can get a href-link for the picture, So my problem is addressed now. So..., I don't know how to do? Anybody can offer some articles or codes to help? Any help will be appreciated! Allen Chang See IDropTarget and other related interfaces. "Allen Chang" <zhangbwnewyork@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23sLdi25LFHA.3960@TK2M...

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Can someone help me??? (0/1)
Let me start off by saying that I am no where near an excel expert so please bear with me. I have a schedule for my employees which is attatched to this post as an html file. They are contained in three different sheets within a workbook. Each sheet has its own formulas and such but I have excluded them and also condensed them down to save repitition. The 3 scheduling sheets are named Servers, Hostess, and BarBus I also have/want 7 other sheets named Mon thru Sun and a template is attatched as an html file as well. What I need to get working is the Mon thru Sun sheets to automatically pu...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Bizzare issue in Excell & Word 2000 When i type the # "1"
In both excel & word (2000) when I type the number "1" it immediatly chages to the word "one". This is a particualr pain in excel becausae it can't be used in a formual. This only happens with the number one. Is this some strange setting that I can fix? Please help. Somebody has probably put an auto-correct entry in the list. In either Word or Excel, Tools > Autocorrect and scroll down the list until you find the entry that shows find "1" and replace with "one". Select that entry and press Delete. Steve "ajsa1009" <a...

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...

Excel adds "1" to the filename
I have a computer with a new copy of Office 2002. Any time I open a file with Excel, it adds a number 1 to the end of the filename. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? If you hit Window do you also see the same file with a 2 at the end. If so then select the one with a 2, use the X at the top right of the File window to close it and then save the remaining file (The 1 should have disappeared now). This happen sif you hit Window / New Window and then save your file. You get a second view of it, but having saved it like that you will always see it like that until you ...