SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update

i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia
drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and
nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install
procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then
gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no
error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is
there anything i can do?

NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now
before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards. ***

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Suggestion: Download the full standalone SP3 package and SAVE it.
Create a folder on the root drive (the drive where Windows is installed
to, usually, C:\).
Move SP3 to the newly created folder.
Configure the system to Clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

*Disconnect* the system from it's network/internet connection.
Apply SP3. Restart; restart.
UNdo the Clean boot steps. Restart.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

jim wrote:
> i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia
> drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and
> nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install
> procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then
> gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no
> error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is
> there anything i can do?
0
MowGreen
6/1/2010 5:34:43 PM
HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

     4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
     http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

     Norton Removal Tool
     ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

     McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
     http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

jim wrote:
> i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia
> drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3
> and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install
> procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then
> gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no
> error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet?
> is
> there anything i can do?

0
PA

Office XP Pro (2002)
Running Office XP Professional - Installed SP3 Two machines updated - OS's Win XP and Win 2000 - both have same problem. Tested when installing on second machine file was readable via attachment prior to SP3. Could be Outlook or Word. E-mailed word attachment. Users using older version of Outlook/Word or Outlook/Word XP SP2 can open file. User using Outlook/Word XP SP3 receive the following error message... Microsoft Word The document name or path is not valid. Try one of the following: *Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly. *On the File menu, click Open, Search for ...

Sharing an inbox accross XP user accounts
Is there a way to share an inbox and folder system accross windows xp user accounts? (both admins and limited users) Thx, ~Cameron Outlook 2000 SP3 Windows XP SP1 Cameron <o9f3oq74q@yahoo.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to share an inbox and folder system > accross windows xp user accounts? (both admins and > limited users) Provided the PST isn't open simultaneously by more than one user, yes. In an Administrator account, with Outlook closed in all accounts, move the PST you want to the the master PST (usually located in the hidden folder %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings...

Excel Charts do not update when Workbook recalculated
I have several good size excel workbooks with 30-40 charts with 5-1 series per chart which do not update when the workbook is recalculated I have written a macro to select each series in each chart and redefin the x axis values (but not changing it) - rather brute force as you wil see - so that the charts can be easily ensured to be updated. Is ther an easier fix than this? We are running excel 2003. rather than 100's of lines of code like the following, can this be don via something like for each chart.... for each series.... ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate Ac...

Excel not opening files from file icon
Hi all, when I try to open a file double clicking on it or on a link to it, Excel program window opens but the file does not. If I try to open the file from Excel menu "File" -> "Open..." the file opens correctly. I tried to uninstall and then re-install Excel but the problem is still present. My version is Excel2002 SP3 (build n. 10.6501.6626). Thanks for helping!! Mauro Hi Mauro! You can reset the file association for Excel by using the following two strings at the Start/run box: 1. "excel.exe /unregserver" (without quotationmarks) 2. "excel.exe...

How Do I open convert a dbk file
When I transfer data from cellphone, it is stored in *.dbk, Can I use outlook database to convert/open this type of file ext.? Thanks, Rick Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. The Microsoft website may have misdirected you. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access Co-author: "Access 2010 Solutions", published by Wiley "RickyA45" <RickyA45@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

How do I set up a payroll spreadsheet will update weekly?
I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly Try this Microsoft link. I think that it is probably what you need. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010843671033.aspx -- Regards, OssieMac "torit" wrote: > I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll > spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly "torit" wrote: > I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how > to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula > to updat...

error 0x8de00006 "The Operation Failed" when trying to send mail
When I try to send an e-mail with a picture, I get the message error 0x8DE00006 "The Operation Failed". I don't have problems with other e-mails or forwarding items Outlook 07 , 98 , 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, ????????????? -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "tedo" <tedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3B0545B-456A-4CED-8635-A973D4DFF4CD@microsoft.com... > When I try to send an e-mail with a picture, I get the message error...

CRM 3.0 LaptopClient installation won't find Outllook 2007
Hi all, I tried to install the LaptopClients of my CRM 3.0 on my WinXP SP2 with Office 2007 machine. The installations stops, by saying me: "Es konnte nicht ermittelt werden, ob eine unterst�tzte Version von Microsoft Outlook installiert ist. Weitere Informationen finden Sie in der Protokolldatei 'C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\" which means basicly, "...couldn't figure out, if an supported Version of Outlook is installed". On the other hand, when I Start Outlook at the same time it says me at the same time "...please close Outlook for installation"...

Automatic updates of a Publisher file
Is there a way to automatically populate data in a Publisher file? My company has a catalog/price list that is based in Publisher. We issue this catalog to 3 different regions that all have different pricing. If there is a change to a description, a price, etc., I must manually update all three versions of the file. Is there a way that I can create a single Excel file with three different prices, that would automatically feed into Publisher? That way, I would only have to make the change in one place, but the changes would be seen in the Publisher document. Thanks. Mike ...

Can't logon outlook(2000 and xp)
When outlook(2000 or XP) installed on window XP box. outlook keep prompting incorrect credentical which credential is correct. For some reason it doesn't like anything. Any ideas?? Thank you in advance! ...

Help with downloading Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
When I click on download a window pops up saying, "unable to display page". What do I need to do. Also, what I think might be the problem is sometimes a tool bar appears saying I am "running with add-ons disabled". I have two ways to log on with no add-ons and without; however, in my manage add-ons everything listed states it is enabled. Any suggestions, please. Thank you! We shall assume your thread should be entitled "Help with downloading *using* Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP." Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 6...

post SP3 problem
Since I installed sp3 for office XP and I am running into error. Mostly that outlook "think there another program is trying to access e-mail addresses I have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this" when I try to open an e-mail or respond to an e-mail. Any idea. Thanks, See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems, particularly the instructions for removing the PDFMaker COM add-in frm Outlook. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode...

Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row
I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an incremental number. Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files, ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"? At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the last record then using the process "Get external Data" and following the wizard which works fine. As soon as I try to create a m...

Install screen when sending emails
I have a user who gets an MS Office installation popup when trying to send messages or reply. I don't have a CD to use to let it install whatever components it's trying to install. Anyone know why this would popup when everything appears to be working just fine otherwise? Where is the CD? Is this a network installation? If it is asking for the CD, you must insert it when required. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head...

Money 2005 Bank Password change every update
MS Money 2005 wants me to change my bank password everytime I try and update. It will not save the password. Any thoughts? ...

#REF,ISERROR, File Not Found question.
I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day. I use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell: =IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16) This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet. What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and say 'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, a...

registery for outlook xp
how can i go about removing auto save to draft folder from registery? help! thanks ...

Clearing Temporary Files
We are having a problem opening an email attachment that is sent daily using the same name. When opening the attachment the user receives the following error: "Can't create file: %filename% Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." I know the default location for opening up an email attachment in Outlook 2002 is "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKxxx". After checking this folder I verified the attachment was being stored ...

Re-installation
I had been a user of Quicken for ten years and decided to try MS-Money. I downloaded the 2004 deluxe trial version and was very pleased with the product so I licensed the trial version through the MS site. I now would like to change the computer that I use for running this program. Since I never really had a full installation version, how do I re-install this program? I installed the trial version on the new computer and then did a backup restore from my MS-Money backup file. This just made the 60-day trial version expire. I have the Microsoft Money 2004 Activation Key # that was gi...

Ootlook 2002 (XP) on Windows XP
I have outlook 2002 and after machine reboot when I first do a send/receive in Outlook it prompts (on a popup that remains in the background so you have to go looking for it) for which profile to use. I only have one profile on the machine and it's set as the default. Is there any way to stop outlook prompting. Regards -- Please reply to the newsgroup and not to my email address. Control Panel->mail icon->show profiles->always use this profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.co...

Catalog Merge from SQL Database
I am trying to make a catalog for my business. I have successfully gotten the information out of our SQL Database using a Catalog Merge. My problem is as follows, we sell printing papers for wide format printers, the paper we sell have the same descriptions but have different sizes, part numbers, and pricing, i.e. Paper 1 comes in 36"x100' 42"x100' but both have the same descriptions as they have the same face surface. When I do the catalog merge I get the description for each and every product and it makes the catalog about twice as long. I wanted to have a descri...

Office Professional Xp user buys a Mac
Hi, Will I be able to open and use any/all files created using my Office professional XP suite (2002), in a new Mac with the latest version of Office available for the Mac? Office 2008 doesn't support macros and VBA, go for Office 2004 if you need that. Otherwise your files should run fine. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Tom" <TesnoBay@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:14b9d961-12fa-4065-bc14-4b9fb18d5c43@z17g2000vbd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Will I be able to open and use any/all files created using my Office > professional XP suite (2002), in...

Updating Test Company in GP 9.0
I have used the procedures for setting up a new test company, but now the data is kind of stale and I want to refresh the test database with current live company data. After restoring a current "live" backup into the "test" company, do I still need to run the script from the TK on setting up a new test company? Or is there something else I should do? Thanks, DavidF. On Nov 21, 10:18 pm, davidf. <dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have used the procedures for setting up a new test company, but now the > data is kind of stale and I want to refre...

Cannot load file.htc (DHTML behavior) in CSS from RES in CDHTMLDia
Hello everyone, I am developping an application that uses the CDHTMLDialog class for its Interface, within I display an HTML page (style with CSS and JavaScript). The HTML is loaded from the resources of the project. The images in the CSS are also loaded from the resources. As Internet Explorer does not allow the pseudo class :hover to be used on other elements than "a", I tried (as advised by Microsoft) to use the "behavior" CSS attribute. This attribute allows to define a DHTML behavior in a separated file with the extension ".htc" . Then I can define a ...

BCM not visible or installed?
OL2003 with BCM. I installed BCM just fine but where do I access it within OL? I don't see any options for it under VIEW or FILE or anywhere . please advise and thank you. Do you have an Exchange account? If so, BCM won't load. If not, you should have a Business Tools menu in Outlook from which you can access the BCM folders. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "red" <red@rum.com> wrot...