SP3 or NOT SP3 ?

I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have
been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed
SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)

My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe)  If I
do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?

Please advise.

0
MN

SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates
applicable to SP3 will need to be  applied. If you do not install SP3,
you will get no more updates after sometime in July so then your
computer will be at risk.

On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:22:47 -0400, "MN" <MN@Private.net> wrote:

>I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have
>been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed
>SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
>list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>
>My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe)  If I
>do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
>updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>
>Please advise.

0
Jerry
5/30/2010 9:53:10 PM
Jerry,
    Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install SP3, going
to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling several hundred updates
that I originally installed after April 2008 (the date of the SP3 release).
Is that correct?

"Jerry" <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates
> applicable to SP3 will need to be  applied. If you do not install SP3,
> you will get no more updates after sometime in July so then your
> computer will be at risk.
>

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:22:47 -0400, "MN" <MN@Private.net> wrote:
>
>>I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and
>>have
>>been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I
>>installed
>>SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
>>list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>>
>>My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe)  If
>>do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
>>updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>>
>>Please advise.

0
MN
5/31/2010 12:38:18 AM
MN wrote:
> Jerry,
>    Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install
> SP3, going to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling
> several hundred updates that I originally installed after April
> 2008 (the date of the SP3 release). Is that correct?

 no

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
5/31/2010 2:34:55 AM
Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.
Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

    � What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
       http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

MN wrote:
> I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and
> have
> been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I
> installed
> SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
> list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>
> My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe)  If
> do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
> updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>
> Please advise.

0
PA
5/31/2010 2:47:57 PM
On 2010-05-31 2:34 p.m., Shenan Stanley wrote:

>>     Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install
>> SP3, going to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling
>> several hundred updates that I originally installed after April
>> 2008 (the date of the SP3 release). Is that correct?
>
>   no

To expand on that a little, for some years now Windows XP updates have included
technology that allows them to be automatically retained or reapplied (as
necessary) when a service pack is being installed.  There may be a few updates
that only apply to SP3 and not SP2, so be sure to check Windows Update anyway,
but there shouldn't be a huge number.

   Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Outlook 2000 SP3 Hangs & Consumes CPU
Dear Group, I have Outlook 2000 w/ SP3 running my email (POP3 & SMTP servers at Comcast). Outlook has been behaving strangely, hanging causing the computer to overheat. My CPU temp runs normally at 30 C but when Outlook is hanging it can zoom to 45-50C. The Windows Task Manager shows Outlook is using over 50% of the CPU and this number climbs as well. Sometimes when this happens I can shut outlook down by closing its window but most times, I have to pull the plug using Task Manager. This has been happening for a while but has gotten worse. I don't have any recollection of in...

XP SP3 for Media Center
Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center. I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media Center 2005 Edition. Is there any? Yes, it does. "John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005? > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.as...

GP 8.0, sp3 and SQL2005??
hi, Someone can tell me if GP8.0 sp3 is supported by SQL2005? I am working with Latin american release. Thanks a lot. Nope. Not SP 3, for any release that I am aware of. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Ana Evelin Rosa" <anar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC18A8FC-D062-4D51-9750-42772F5D9C06@microsoft.com... > hi, > > Someone can tell me if GP8.0 sp3 is supported by SQL2005? I am working > with > Latin american release. > > Thanks a lot. SQL 2005 won't be officially supported by version 8 until SP 4. SP 4 already came out on...

Excel 2003 SP3 crash using formula.
Hi Guys I have a problem with 1 PC in my network. Sometime, not always, if you press the function button in excel, it crashes. I tried to lunch the install and repair process and it didn't solve the problem. Also I used to remove all the addin but it still happen. Do you have any idea, I think the user used in the past some macro or automation not well done that now did some mess inside the VBA references and excel references. Should I install from scratch microsoft Office and all the SP? thank you -- Raffaele Garofalo Application Developer MCP On Feb 12, 10:45=A0am, Raffaeu <Raff...

Error opening objects in Sales for Outlook XP SP3
Hi there! Our customer has clients with Windows XP and Outlook XP SP3. We have installed Sales for Outlook and everything worked fine. Now, as the Sales for Outlook User want's to open any Object (e.g. Accounts -> doubleclick on an account) he receives an error message "An error has occored. For more Information contact your system administrator." By the way, the user has enough rights to open the object and everything works perfect when we use the webclient. Has anyone a good idea? Thanks in advance for your assistance! Bernd ...

Outlook 2000-SP3
When Outlook starts it does not immediately "Send and Receive". I have to hit the button or F5, after which it will continue to send and receive per the duration settings I have setup. How do I get Outlook to automatically send and receive upon boot up? I cannot seem to find that option. Daniel Arrepas <arrepas.daniel@butler-rosebury.com> wrote: > When Outlook starts it does not immediately "Send and Receive". I > have to hit the button or F5, after which it will continue to send > and receive per the duration settings I have setup. > > How do...

rms 1.3 sp3 issues
hello i have a client who has rms 1.3, they recently changed their hardware a Optiplex 760 with sp3 and after reinstalling rms 1.3 and plugging the dongle it returns with a blue screen >please help HI Dave, At this point it would be best to upgrade to 2.0 1.3 is no longer supported and your issue could be very difficult to diagnose. If that is not an option, then I recommend that you completely uninstall all OPOS Drivers, Dongle driver, SQL and RMS. Start over and test each step as you go along. There is an updated dongle driver available also, which may be more compatible ...

SP3 Issues
I created a database in Access 2003 which worked fine for months. My IT department installed Office SP2 on my machine and now I can't enter any data into the table which underpins my database. The queries, forms, etc all still work fine but when I try and enter data I get a bleep. I have a second PC which doesn't have SP2 installed, just basic Access 2003 and the database still functions fine on this one. They've tried upgrading to SP3 but still with the same problem. One thing that may or may not be relevant, on the the non-SP3 machine when I run the continuous form there&...

Dynamics 9 sp3 upgrade error
Hi, I am trying to apply MS Dynamics 9 sp3. I get the following error: A previous version of MS Dynamics GP has been detected To proceed you need to upgrade your MS Dynamics GP system database Other users are currently using MS Dynamics GP. You cannot update tables while anyone is using MS Dynamics GP Please help. Thanks If you know they are no users in the system, you may run the following SQL server script against your Dynamics database: USE DYNAMICS; GO TRUNCATE TABLE ACTIVITY; Once you have completed the above, re-launch Dynamics Utilities to proceed ...

Reinstall necessary to rollback SQL 2005 SP3?
I'm very confident that SP3 will be installed without a mishap, but the boss is insisting on a fallback plan. So, I started investigating what it would take to roll back to SP2, and was alarmed to find that an uninstall/reinstall of SQL Server (along with a couple other hoops to jump through) was necessary to roll back from SP2. Is this still the case for SP3? -- Sick of googling, Bob Barrows Bob Barrows wrote: > I'm very confident that SP3 will be installed without a mishap, but > the boss is insisting on a fallback plan. So, I started investigating > wh...

Error "91' after upgrading to xp pro sp3
I have "RMS 2.0.0115 running window xp pro sp3, after I upgraded to the sp 3, Two to 3 times a day the RMS gets this Error: Run-Time error "91': object variable or with block variable not set. then when I press ok I have to restart the RMS Any info on this thanks There is a patch available now for a known issue with RMS and XP SP3. I got a notice the other day that is should be available on Windows Update. Marc "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EB3B8A7-5C50-460C-A8F1-F21AC6056202@microsoft.com... >I have "RMS 2.0.0115 r...

SP3 installation error
Hi people, I'm applying SP3 on a test environment, and I get in the GP Utils menu: The following SQL statement produced an error: Grant Execute ON dbo.SE_Get_MC_Acc_Detail_Hist TO DYNGRP The odd thing is that the mssg appears in the 2nd company DB [two], the first one, an empty DB, came out fine. TIA and Regards _ Arturo Medina Best Integration Systems Problem solved, I ran the following automated solutions: Change DB Owner and Grant SQL, I guess it was a permissions issue. Bye. _ Arturo Medina Best Integration Systems "Arturo Medina" wrote: > Hi people, > &g...

GP 10 Upgrade Issue(s) SP2 -> SP3
Over the weekend we applied MicrosoftDynamicsGP-KB955679-v10-ENU.msp (SP3) Updates. The first issue noted was that custom settings in DEX.ini (like OLEPATH) were set back to install defaults.... Resolved by editing each DEX.ini file and restoring settings. Im working on a 2nd issue ..... Trial Balance Reports are generating SmartHeap Library Error "MEM_BAD_POINTER", any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to try and repimport modified reports and see what happens. Update: Re-imported all modified reports / froms. Had no effect. \ Resolved Issue by: - Renaming...

excel 2003(SP3)
Hello I have 2 workbooks opened, with a workbook_deactivate sub defined When I ask to close (red cross), the save window appears and i click to 'Yes to all', but the workbooks stay opened, and not saved! the problem is not on my code, because if i have a sub like that: Sub Workbook_deactivate() msgbox "hello" end sub the problem is still here. And if i remove completely this sub, it works fine(workbooks saved and closed! It can be tested very easily. Create 2 workbooks with the workbook_deactivate like here, then modify any data in sheets of the two workbooks, then clic...

Glitch delays Windows XP SP3 release
Important NEWS You may want to turn off the auto update at your client for a while Glitch delays Windows XP SP3 release Microsoft: Service pack suffering "compatibility issue" Microsoft has said it is delaying the release of Windows XP Service Pack 3 because of a newly uncovered glitch. The software maker said there is a "compatibility issue" between the XP service pack and Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System, a retail chain management program for SMEs. You what.? Bust through tech jargon with silicon.com's Cheat Sheets. Microsoft finalised the ...

Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP
Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP: I tried this run SP3 last night on my computer and it told me "not allowed" (going from memory). After this, my system has to remove all the files and then it says "couldn't uninstall correctly, XP might not work properly". The system is running fine, but I wonder why but I wonder why I cannot install it?!?! Before this, I had a problem with IE not working and I thought it might be fixed with SP3 (it wasn't the issue it seems) - but since have fixed the IE issue, but now it leaves me wondering about SP3 and why it isn'...

Charts GONE after Windows XP SP3 Update!?!
I have Office 2007 SP1 Enterprise Edition and, until last night, Windows XP Professonal SP2 installed on my PC. Last night I went through the normal Microsoft Update site to upgrade to SP3 and everything seemed to go well. However, I noticed this morning that all of my Excel files I have that previously had worksheets on them showing charts are not displaying those charts at all. The worksheets that they were on are still in the files, but the charts themselves seem to have disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know of a way to resolve this? Thanks... Hi, ...

Access 2003 Crashing after sp3 update
After updating office 2003 from sp2 to sp3 Access will crash when navigating through forms. This the error report: AppName: msaccess.exe AppVer: 11.0.8166.0 AppStamp:46437912 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModStamp:411096b4 fDebug: 0 Offset: 000117a5 I see other people are having the same sorts of issues and have resolved it by going back to sp2.. This is not an option here http://groups.google.co.nz/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_thread/thread/3ce371aa00f93fa4/b1e9333eea200e84%23b1e9333eea200e84 I was able to resolve similar problems with co...

Deploying SP3 via group policy
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to deploy GP9 Service Pack 3 (we're actually deploying the Canadian Year-End Tax update, but it includes SP3) via Group Policy? Microsoft has instructions for deploying the base install of GP9 via Group Policy, but I haven't been able to find any information regarding the updates. If possible, we'd like to avoid touching every machine for this update. Thanks! tools - setup - system - client updates. "Jason Josephson" wrote: > Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to deploy GP9 Service Pack 3 > (w...

slow excel using win2000 sp3
I have an application that loads 15 spreadsheets, performs some calculations and then saves these 15 spreadsheets. Using the same application workbook, I can run the application under win97se in under 3 minutes but under win2000, it takes over a half hour. What gives. Does anyone have an explanation? ...

Outlook Send Problem after SP3 yesterday
After installing SP3 and the other security updates from yesterday, I can no longer send email in outlook. I get the error message "Operation Failed. An object can not be found." Anyone have any ideas? ...

sp2 to sp3
Update launches, but hangs at 'installing new version' of the update SW. I have seen the downloadable exe's of sp3, anywhere from 300MB to 550mb. do you have one to recommend? thanx plugginaway wrote: > Update launches, but hangs at 'installing new version' of the > update SW. > I have seen the downloadable exe's of sp3, anywhere from 300MB to > 550mb. > do you have one to recommend? The actual installable Windows XP Service Pack 3 file does not have variants. Assuming you actually do mean and need Windows XP Service Pack 3 - here ...

Sp3 and Terminal Server
Hello: A client installed the latest service (SP3 GP) pack and then their terminal server crashed twice unexpectedly. Are there any instances where SP3 was documented to be unstable? I know thqat there are special instructions in the PDF for TS but did not know that it could cause TS to become unstable. Thanks! childofthe1980s We have recently installed SP 3 for GP on at least 3 terminal servers at various clients. None have crashed unexpectedly afterwards (or crashed at all as far as I know). What do the TS event logs say? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "childothe1980s" ...

Outlook 2002 sp3
I would appreciate someone suggesting a resolution to the following annoyance. Thanks. Ever since upgrading to Office XP sp3 every time I want to create an email a a dialog box comes up to ask me if I want to allow a program attempting to access... It is Word starting as my email editor. I have it set up to use Microsoft Word as my editor and it is part of the Office XP suite so what's up? ...

GP9 SP3 install problem
I just tried to install SP3 for GP9 (we're on SP2 currently). The server side install seemed to go fine but when I try to update a client machine it first gives the mesasge about needing to upgrade. After answering Yes/OK there it quickly comes back with the message "Patching Complete: All products updated successfully",then GP exits. From there it is stuck in this same loop and the client version shown (9.00.0281) doesn't change. Has anyone run into this problem? We use terminal servers for our clients. At this point I've reverted everything back on the serve...