sevice pack 3 update

since i have aqquired this computer it has been trying to update  a service
pack 3 for windows xp and always fails, anything i can do

"daniellez" <daniellez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> since i have aqquired this computer it has been trying to update  a
> service
> pack 3 for windows xp and always fails, anything i can do

Yes.  First, you can tell us the symptoms of the failure.  For instance:

1. Are there any error messages displayed on the screen?

2. Are there any events in the event log related to this?

3. Are there any errors near the end of the the SP3 installation log (which
can usually be found in C:\Windows\svcpack.log)?

4. Have you read the Release Notes for SP3?  There are two of them:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=116143, and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

5. Are any of the symptoms of the failure discussed here?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

This information will help you and will help us to help you solve your
problem.

David Dickinson
eveningstar at mvps dot org

0
David
11/14/2009 4:21:57 PM
First tell us why SP3 wasn't installed over a year ago?

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009.  Such support will cost you
US$59 per incident now.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

daniellez wrote:
> since i have aqquired this computer it has been trying to update  a
> service
> pack 3 for windows xp and always fails, anything i can do

0
PA
11/14/2009 4:39:10 PM
daniellez wrote:
> since i have aqquired this computer it has been trying to update  a
> service pack 3 for windows xp and always fails, anything i can do

Assuming you are quoting the message correctly and not 'reading into it' and
it is indeed "Windows XP Service Pack 3" you are attempting to install...

First - before anything else - answer this:

Do you have an HP branded computer with an AMD processor?
(If so - answer and wait.  If not, answer and continue with the steps.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

  Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
  IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

  You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
    scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.  If you are following
    along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
    manufacturer's respective web pages.)  Never get hardware drivers
    for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
    pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
     install SP3.  Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
     a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable.  Reboot when requested to
do so.  Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes.  Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan

Merchant Services #3
One of my local merchant providers wanted to know what software platform we are using on MS Dynamics POS 2009. Of course he asked if we use an installed software; such as, ICVerify, PC Charge, and SmartPayments. I understand it's an embedded software that is completely part of the POS. In setup and configuration I see no requirement to install a CC software. Am I correct, or are we going to need to have each client use one of the three he listed? Thanks- -- JWray Sawtooth Technology As of right now, none will work. They will need to develope an addin for each of the three you ...

RMS Version 3.0
Hi, is there any news about RMS Version 3.0? I can't find any information about a release date. Thanks, Timo I remember when participating in the 1.3 web cast MS also outlined the next version timelines. At that time release 3.0 was scheduled for the first quarter of 2008. Well, the quarter has come and gone and no word about 3.0. Nothing from my reseller either nor from the beta team (I had volunteered to become a beta tester). I just see my maintenance dollars wasted yet again for not getting anything for it. Here we have a product that is supposed to be better then the competi...

Event sevice and information store hang
Hello NG! On my Exchange 2003 SP2 at a SBS 2003 machine the event service hangs during shutdown the machine with the following message: MSExchangeES ID: 7 (0x80004005) unexpected error in maintenance thread I�ve checked MS-Kb but cannot find anything. Can anybody help? Thank you! Holger Hello 4005 is the system error 5 (access denied). Have you configured some scripts on events (like Event sinks)? If you use no scripts, the service MsExchangeES can be set to "manual". Bye. -- Thierry DEMAN-BARCELÒ MVP Exchange,SQL/Server FAQ Exchange: http://ofniorcim.dyndns.org...

sql server sp 3 and rms??
Hi all Has Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 been certified to work with RMS? thanks yes -- vendaliajat@yahoo.com "darwin" <darwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486E70DB-54CE-4D6B-B88F-82C2839C809E@microsoft.com... > Hi all > Has Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 been certified to work > with > RMS? > > thanks > ...

Laguage pack for Microsoft Money
Hello, I'm using MS Money for the last 2 years and its helping me a lot. I think that the product can be a success here in Israel (as it is for me). I tried to contact Microsoft Israel to understand what can be done (and how can I help / do) in order to add the hebrew support for this product and also the ability to add israeli banks to the online access of the product. There wasnt really good answer - so I hope to get a better answer here in the group. Thanks in advance, "Kobi" <Kobi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96129AD6-931E-410D-A2EF-45E63007E32...

Outlook notification of new mail. #3
The notification works for new messages to Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is something that has been deliberately changed from Outlook XP. Is there any work around for the above so that a notification does show when the new mail is sent to another folder when using a rule? Which of the many different notifications are you referring to -- the system tray icon, the pop-up, etc.? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jum...

problems updating Office 2004
I have an iMac G5 (Mac OS X 10.3.9) and Microsoft Office 2004 11.1 (040910). I'd been having some trouble when starting up Word and Excel -- I got a blank screen instead of the Project Gallery screen, and the applications hung. So I went to update the software. I first tried Word's AutoUpdate feature, but I was told that there were no updates. I then went specifically to the Microsoft site and found the 11.1.0 Service Pack and the 11.1.1 Update, both of which I downloaded. But when I start the Service Pack installer, I am told that it can't find the appropriate Office software on m...

Service Pack Question
Do the service packs for exchange contain the security hotfixes previously released? I would think so, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. ...

Pay Out Report #3
Does anyone have a report that will list pay out transaction details? There is an old post from 2007 that mentions one, but I can't get to the file from a newreader client since it's so old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mark Marc, Thanks...that's exactly what I was looking for! I really appreciate you taking the time to post that up. Regards, Mark "Marc" wrote: > This was the original report that I found a few years ago. I use this > modified with ReasonCode <> drop because I do not want to see cash drops on > my paid out report. &g...

Total Communications System & MS CRM 3.0
To Anyone: I am trying to find a complete "converged communications" system that has complete integration with MS CRM 3.0 as well as an open API that I can further integrate into my business applications. I am finding a lot of sales pitches but no hard facts and confirmed installs. Can anyone point me ? Anthony DeHart try www.genesyslabs.com ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D009397A-044A-482E-97F8-D2BADC9A6A15@microsoft.co...

Outlook 2003 cached mode #3
Somehow Outlook keeps going offline. I have to hit Send/Receive to receive or send new messages. Any ideas why this happes and how to set the cache mode back to connect mode? ...

Comparing two Columns #3
I have to columns full of data one column is "inventory" and the secon column is "charged items" inventory is what should be on the shel according to the computer, and charged items are the books that ar checked out. So the inventory - charged items would more less give m what "should" be on the shelf according to the computer. So I want column C to list me everything that is in Column A that i not in Column B. Column A is Inventory Column B is charged items (goes up to 6000). After I typed it out it seems very simply I just haven't figured ou how to...

e-mail account #3
I set up my hotmail account as an e-mail account on Outlook. When I press Send/Receive it tells me I have to subscribe to this service. Can anyone tell me what to do next? MC wrote: > I set up my hotmail account as an e-mail account on Outlook. When I > press Send/Receive it tells me I have to subscribe to this service. > Can anyone tell me what to do next? Subscribe, possibly? Unless you have a legacy Hotmail account, you cannot use any mail client unless you have a paid-for service. "MC" <MC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3C974F8-EE86...

sevice packs not included in windows update??
I am running windows vista home premium and have had to reinstall. When going through the windows update the service packs dont show up. do i need to download and install manualy? -- smills98823 Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service packs are not available for installation through Windows Update: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 smills98823 wrote: > I am running windows vista home premium and have had to reinstall. When > going through the windows update the service packs dont show up. do i > need to download and install manualy? >...

permissions on public folders #3
I have 2 Exchange servers on my network. The old one is e2k running on w2k, and the new one is e2k3 running on w2k3. My problem is that when I move a mailbox from one server to another, they can no longer access the public folders on the original server. But it seems that whichever the public folders are homed on, they'll only be accessible to users on that same server. This is a problem if I'm not going to move all the mailboxes all at once. I'm assuming the problem is one of permissions, but for the life of me, I cannot find which permissions I need to change. Tha...

Look at these pack
--rxcqzfpvub Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="sznlbrzwhppt"; type="multipart/alternative" --sznlbrzwhppt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="yffcgriykqs" --yffcgriykqs Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help maint...

adding a custom activity to CRM 3.0 schema
Hello, I would like to add a custom activity (Contact Us Form Submission) to the CRM schema. My hopes are that it will show up like any other activity in the CRM, including being listed in the history when viewing a contact. We want to integrate our website contact us form to automatically submit the form results into the CRM. I played around a bit with adding a custom entity, but I could not get it to be recognized as a new type of activity. I also looked at extending the Activity schema as it has an Activity Type attribute that is a list of the activity types that I would like thi...

MFC Feature Pack
I see that Microsoft have released and "MFC Feature Pack" as a sort of "extra" for MFC 9.0 It seems to have an awful lot of new stuff. Apparently it includes quite basic, but very useful, stuff like button classes with images, text, and tool tips (for which, in this case, I have developed my own DIY classes). Is there any reason why it has been released as an add on, and not part of the MFC library itself? Does anyone have any experience with it? Recommendations? [I am wondering whether it may have something which will solve the toolbar appearance problems I ...

SMTP Queue #3
I keep getting the following notification every day and have looked at the SMTP queue. It has a lot of mail just sitting in it from SPAM domains, but I do not know how to clear out the queue. All email coming from valid senders, or waiting to be delivered to individual mailboxes is clear and working as it is supposed to, but this just sits and takes up space. Any help would be great. If need be, i can email a screenshot of our SMTP queue if that would help assess the problem. Thank you. **MESSAGE** A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send queue. Verify ...

CRM 3.0, Office 2003 Pro and Business Data Lookup snap-in question
Hi, I have a Windows XP SP2 machine with Office 2003 Pro installed, Microsoft CRM for Outlook component. I installed BDL plugin/snap-in but the snap-in doesn't show up. I read the document and still it doesn't work. I even changed the registry key LoadBehaviour and set it to value '3'. What seems to be the problem and does anybody make this BDL work? I am facing the same problem. I would apprecaite if some can help us on this. Thanks. "Benjamin Fallar III" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a Windows XP SP2 machine with Office 2003 Pro installed, > Micros...

"Requeted control is not valid for this sevice"
I get this message EVERY TIME I reboot. Any way to find out what control and what service this refers to? There is NO specific information given. I am logging on as OWNER, so I don't understand why I should get this message. What effect does this have upon system performance? You may have well posted, "My car never starts! What's wrong with it?" Please see this page http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm then post back to this thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly. Sinclair wrote: > I get this message EVE...

Language pack question
I have in my default settings to use the English dictionary and my regions are set to English but when I spell check, it's french. How can I fix this? See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "wntw" <...

Mass updates to leads
I am trying to do some cleanup on a severly ignored CRM installation. One of the challenges is that there are over 1400 open leads and a lot of them are over a year old. Most of these should not be leads anymore. Most of them need to be disqualified. Ideally I would like to disqualify all leads that are older than 60 days in some sort of automated way and then let the individual sales people clean it up from there. Can anyone offer suggestions on the best way to approach this? Thanks Greg Hi Greg, Just perform a query that returns all leadId where createdon datediff is greater than 60...

packing slip
I need to make packing slips from an excel distribution list. I would like to repeat the header rows on every sheet then copy or print 1 row at a time. Each row equals 1 packing slip's worth of information. I need to either just print 2 each with this configuration or make a separate sheet for every row in the list (including the header info each time of course) thank you -- jami I used column A to determine the last row to print. Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim FirstRow As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim iRow As Long Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Wo...

test #3