Service Pack 2 download problem for XP

I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.

I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
0x80070017
--
Dan

Dan wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all
> updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017

So you freshly installed Windows XP (Home?  Professional?  Media Center
Edition?  Tablet PC Edition?) and are now trying to install Service Pack 2
for Windows XP (I assume.)  Why did you 'reinstall Windows XP'?  Hardware
failure?

Did you do a Repair Install (in-place upgrade) of Windows XP or did you
format the HDD & then do a clean install of Windows XP?

If your machine is already at SP1a - you don't need to install SP2 to
install SP3 for Windows XP.

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
   winver
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.  That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy to find
out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.   That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What AntiVirus application are you using?  (Name and exact version, please.)
- Was any flavor of "Norton" products ever installed?
- Was any flavor of "McAfee" products ever installed?

Do you have a third party firewall - or are you using the built-in Windows
firewall?

Do you ever run any antimalware applications?  If so - which ones and when
did you scan with them last (full scan, not quick)?

Some have trouble finding the downloads for SP1a, SP2 and SP3 they might
need...

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83E4E879-FA3A-48BF-ADE5-023443E29D78

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers  (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

You'll need quite a few updates after SP3.

Tried this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Please - do come back and reply.  This conversation *will* be around for
years to come.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
3/21/2010 4:37:40 PM
Hello Dan,

0x80070017 -2147024873 ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Files may be corrupt or missing.
-=-

Clean up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and included all
offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a Disk
CleanUp.
-=-

Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt  How to perform
disk error checking in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
-=-

Run SFC /SCANNOW
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all XP files are where they should be
and that they are uncorrupted.
How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of XP System
Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
http://hardwareforu.blogspot.com/2008/06/system-file-checker-sfc-win-xp-repair.html
-=-

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"Dan" wrote:

> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017
> --
> Dan
XP SP2 CD can be ordered online.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx>

 For Service Packs, I prefer to download the full file and then install
offline after preparing the system first.
-=-

> I just reinstalled Windows Xp

Why and how did you do it?

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

Dan wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017

0
PA
3/21/2010 8:13:22 PM
Dan,

You have received some advice about what you should do but none of them are
likely to be of any help to you if, you are like me who don't like reading
all the garbage given in computer books and websites.

Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
have only one machine to work with.

To install SP2, you will need to perform a clean install of  Windows XP
(whatever version) and then after rebooting the system, you need to run this
big fat file and you will be up to date upto SP2.  I normally suggest people
to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
most systems.

You will then need to download and install SP3 manually and that is all you
need for your system to be completely secure!  Then you need to configure
your firewall so that it doesn't allow any exceptions.

Hope this helps but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to
contact me.

> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017
> --
> Dan

0
LD55ZRA
3/21/2010 8:52:56 PM
Dan:-

On 2010-03-22 9:52 a.m., LD55ZRA wrote:

> Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Surprisingly, this is a reasonable suggestion.  I would recommend checking the
security certificate on the download before running it, however.

> Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
> Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
> have only one machine to work with.

This doesn't really make sense for a home user.  (Don't worry if you don't know
what a "Windows Installation cache" is, this isn't standard terminology anyway.)

> [...] I normally suggest people
> to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
> most systems.

This is bad advice.  There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in "notify
me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but not installing
updates at all is not a good idea.

   Harry.

PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good advice.  Dan
and other visitors are advised to search for other postings by "LD55ZRA" so they
can make up their own minds.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post
> was unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for
good advice.

You are a f*ucking liar Piggy.  You do reply to trolls because a f*ucker
like you has nothing else to do like a troll.  This, therefore makes you
one.

hth

0
LD55ZRA
3/22/2010 12:59:39 AM
"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> This is bad advice.  There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in
> "notify me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but
> not installing updates at all is not a good idea.

Please ignore the above advice because it is designed to destabilize your
system.  The advice is by Microsoft Valuable Pig and they are there for one
thing and one thing only!

There is no evidence that updates post SP3 are making windows system any
secure than they were before the updates.  There is ample evidence that the
updates are making systems unstable and the evidence is right in front of
you in these newsgroups.

That Microsoft Valuable Pig knows nothing about windows.  He should go back
to his roots.

hth

0
LD55ZRA
3/22/2010 1:08:22 AM
On 2010-03-22 1:34 p.m., I wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
> unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good
> advice.

I see that normal service has been restored. :-)

   Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
0
Harry
3/22/2010 2:05:50 AM
> On 2010-03-22 1:34 p.m., I wrote:
>
>> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
>> unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good
>> advice.
>
> I see that normal service has been restored. :-)
>
>   Harry.

Didn't take long either.  This bozo is quite entertaining, though.  I've
never read anyone who puts so much effort into sounding like a knowledgeable
moron.  Then again, there's always Stan Starinski.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
3/22/2010 2:33:00 PM
+1

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> On 2010-03-22 1:34 p.m., I wrote:
>
>> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
>> unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good
>> advice.
>
> I see that normal service has been restored. :-)
>
>   Harry.
0
PA
3/22/2010 5:48:19 PM
On 2010-03-23 3:33 a.m., Michael wrote:

> Didn't take long either. This bozo is quite entertaining, though.

Can't say I agree - I've known too many people affected by mental illness to
find it all that funny.  I just think it's unfortunate that there's no way to
help him/her.

Sorry to be such a downer. :-)

   Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
0
Harry
3/24/2010 8:33:12 PM
> On 2010-03-23 3:33 a.m., Michael wrote:
>
>> Didn't take long either. This bozo is quite entertaining, though.
>
> Can't say I agree - I've known too many people affected by mental illness
> to find it all that funny.  I just think it's unfortunate that there's no
> way to help him/her.
>
> Sorry to be such a downer. :-)
>
>   Harry.

Show some sympathy, Harry.  None of his parent's children survived.  I think
that's enough of a burden for he/she/it to carry. <BEG>
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael

Quick Help with Excel Formula #2
ok, I have a cell where i want to select one of 15 names, how do i click o the cell and a drop down menu appears with all the names, so then i ca select one and this appear in the cell? thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use data validation. >-----Original Message----- >ok, > >I have a cell where i want to select one of 15 names, how do i click on >the cell and a drop down menu appears with all the names, so then i can >select one and this appear in the cell? > >thanks > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > &...

Removing last 5.5 server #2
I have a couple questions about removing my last 5.5 server. Everything is moved to my new 2003 server, except that all internet email seems to be leaving through my 5.5 IMC. When I shut down my 5.5 server no email leaves. All inbound and internal email flows normally though. Is there a way to force my 2003 servers to not use the 5.5 IMC? Also are there any special steps I need to take to remove the 5.5 server? delete the IMC, wait for that to replicate to the e2k3 server, then remove the 5.5 server. you can also run the internet connection wizard on e2k3 to create an SMTP Conne...

getting reporting services web service to work
The error I am getting is 'The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)'. There are lots of answers on the web and I have tried alot of them including obtaining extract space. The error I am getting is: " The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)". I am using using windows-authentication to the datasource, and I am wondering if I am not setting up the pass-through properly on the web-service.? Thus to correc...

Fix for file open/save problem
A recent Windows update has caused problems for many people in opening and saving files. See the following for possible solutions: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors&mid=ab8ee928-cf0d-416c-b961-b4c9eab1d1d7&sloc=en-us http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint&mid=d2e4e27f-7e22-43ad-9626-be04808e221d&sloc=en-us http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

A question about thread,please help me #2
My program environment is .net2005.The partial code is shown as below: void CfinalView::OnRButtonDblClk(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { CRect rc; GetClientRect(&rc); if(point.x>rc.left&&point.x<(rc.right/2)&&point.y>rc.top&&point.y<rc.bottom) { //AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(CDetailPlot)); } if(point.x>(rc.right/2)&&point.x<rc.right&&point.y>rc.top&&point.y<(rc.bottom/2)) { //AfxMessageBox(_T("haha")); AfxBeginThread(RUNTI...

Saving Files Problem
I have been using Excel at work to do simple spreadsheets. When I wan to take some data home to enter, I saved this info on a 3.5 diskette When I try to open it at work I get a message that this file cannot b accesssed. I am using the same systems on both machines.( Excel 2000.) The message says " the file is either read-only or you may be trying t acess a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on i not responding" Any Suggestions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Terry, Never work directly in Excel from/to a diskette. There are many documented ...

Services don't start when server restarts.
The information store and MTA stacks services do not start when server is restarted. How do I fix this problem? Check your Event Veiwer, any errors? What are the associated event id #'s. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Micah Pokorney" <micah@primeadvantage.com> wrote in message news:137f01c3df7d$df537300$a501280a@phx.gbl... > The information store and MTA stacks services do not > start when server is restarted. How do I fix this > problem? ...

Ma8QBaYXf0 #2
qK/iwAvG3in7dcpDYl3JJXoWU+XR2gDt8CfCmXDnZlTYuiuBJ6wMzybyarVQ1eDNCW9TXGg6RuJn 2ASPj9miNdgl9HinL7aVdM8nwrti3zElDMa8QBaYXf0v3DQ8y8kBFy3yz2uil4gbr0rL+VEOEzo4 mailto:ernst.schmitter@siemens.com ernst.schmitter@siemens.com schrieb: > qK/iwAvG3in7dcpDYl3JJXoWU+XR2gDt8CfCmXDnZlTYuiuBJ6wMzybyarVQ1eDNCW9TXGg6RuJn > 2ASPj9miNdgl9HinL7aVdM8nwrti3zElDMa8QBaYXf0v3DQ8y8kBFy3yz2uil4gbr0rL+VEOEzo4 > > mailto:ernst.schmitter@siemens.com > Is this a secret?? ...

password help #2
I have to access a file that hasn't been opened in 3 years. It is password protected and I have the password written down. However when I type in the password it is not accepted. I have tried the password in every combination of upper & lower case letters but it still won't let me in. Could upgrading my operating system and version of Excel affect the password? I think when the file was created I was running Win 98 and Office 97. Now I have Win XP and Office 2002. I don't have a hard copy of the info in this file so I'm kind of desprate. Any help would be appr...

CRM services (help!!!!)
I have CRM installed on a W2K3 SP1 box, member server The CRM was installed to have the accompanying services run under the Domain Admin acct. I know that in someway the authentication is tied into to AD, from doing some reading up on CRM. Can I switch the services to run under the 'Local System' acct. without any problems. Reason being is that I have some KDC event ID 11 errors showing on my DC, which state that there are duplicate SPN name associated with the server running the CRM, and with further research found that the SPN names for the server were also attached to the A...

Problem with WMC for Win7 x64 -- live TV setup problem
When I try to setup WMC (Win7 x64) for live TV it goes through the region setting question, then the zip code, then when it goes to "configuring" it hangs. I got a tip to run "mcupdate.exe" from another forum to overcome the hanging. After is scans for channels it asks if ATSC digital is what I want (I do, for OTA TV)... then comes this dreaded screen: http://i49.tinypic.com/2qb5dac.jpg "TV setup has encountered a serious problem. Select Finish to exit, then try again. If this problem persists, restart Windows Media Center or the computer." I&...

Resolution for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed
------=_NextPart_0001_EC57D3FB Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good afternoon, Microsoft has released a fix for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Development team has identified problems when Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows XP SP3 is installed. Running these service packs, without the below fix installed, may cause data loss in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System or Microsoft Dynamics - Point of Sale datab...

Pivot #2
Hi All I have a Pivot table and attached Pivot chart (all good so far). However, there are three columns (drop column details here) which are the two columns of data and a grand total column (showing the average of my two data columns) When I turn it into a pivot chart it does not display the grand total column as well (is there a way to do this). I have tried to go into the chart options but these are locked. I can copy and paste the results but this is a bit clumsy. Any suggestions - any help greatly appreciated Kind regards Rexmann PS using excel 2003 ...

XP Pro
Hi I have just purchased a new PC running Windows 7 Pro to replace my ageing XP3 SP3 set-up. I particularly purchased 7Pro so I could run a few of my older programmes in XP Mode but, having read a few, not so good reviews, about this facility in 7 Pro I’m considering other options. As far as I can see, I have three choices: 1. Burn (my existing copy of) XP Pro to an external, bootable, hard drive and load my older programmes onto it. I can then boot from this and work on XP Pro as and when necessary (hopefully, as I’m running this off my new PC, I should be able to see a...

Why won't my 2 publication pages switch to 2-pg view as asked?
This is a brand new publication. It only has two pages to it. There is hardly any content and NO web links. But when I use the VIEW drop down menu and click that very first option saying "Two-page spread", Microsoft Publisher does absolutely NOTHING! No, not in print view ... i'm saying "nothing". Yes, I've restarted my computer... all that. Also, in the master page view many of the options are totally greyed-out. Why doesn't microsoft just fix its software instead of adding new inefficient ones? You must have three or more pages to see a two-page ...

Re-Downloading Contacts in Outlook from CRM
I need to re-download the contact from CRM to the Sales for Outlook Client. What is the recommended way to do this if we want to completely setup a new contact list in Outlook from the existing CRM. not sure I am following you. CRM will download to outlook any contact you can see when accessing crm through the web interface please explain further ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "Dynamic Networx" <DynamicNetworx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Problems Setting Delegate Permissions
I'm getting the following error message with Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Does anyone know how to repair this? This occurs everytime I try to set Delegates for a user, or any user for that matter. I get to the point where I have assigned a user the permissions and when I click OK, I get the following: Microsoft Office Outlook The Delegates settings were not saved correctly. Unable to activate send-on-behalf-of list. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. Thanks for your help, Can you explain how your AD environment is setup. Singl...

Pivot Table Calculated Item #2
The Calculated Item selection is greyed out on the Pivot Tables/Formula drop down menu. I have my cursor in a field that I want to calculate. What am I doing wrong? If your pivot table is based on OLAP source data, you can't create formulas. Could that be the problem? SamBayer1957 wrote: > The Calculated Item selection is greyed out on the Pivot Tables/Formula drop > down menu. I have my cursor in a field that I want to calculate. What am I > doing wrong? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Downloading .ofx statements
I have Windows 98, Money 2003 and IE6 loaded. I can download automatic statements (e.g American Express) and I can download Quicken Files. When I attempt to download a statement for a financial institutions I get two error messages The first is for path C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8T2FCDU3\July2004_3237(1).ofx. the message states "The Windows Installer failed to install the program associated with this file. Please contact your system administrator." After clicking OK The second message is for the same path. "Access to the specif...

MTA Service
Hello, we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA is working anybody can suggest. regards "azam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i >have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA >service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA >is working anybody can suggest. >regards Check the application event log. There will be some ev...

Sending email problem in windows mail
I can receive email on my Comcast connection but I cannot send emails. Trouble shooting with Comcast indicate that the problem is not with Comcast. What can I do to fix the problem? Error number is 0x800CCC79. My email address is jpribesh@comcast.net. incoming POP3 server is mail.comcast.net. outgoing SMTP is SMTP.comcast.net. My operating system is Vista. Thanks John Pribesh You don't need to post your real e-mail address for the world to see, but you do need to post the error message,' Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it...

ole server error #2
When opening the organization chart in publisher 2000, now that I have Office XP installed. I get an error message "Publisher can launch or communicate with the ole server program needed to complete this task" This worked fine until upgrading to Office XP Hi kevin boseley (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || When opening the organization chart in publisher 2000, now || that I have Office XP installed. I get an error message || || "Publisher can launch or communicate with the ole server || program needed to complete this task&...

Template problem
Folks I have a simple template class that is used to send classes across a network. It is very simple(see definition below). It compiles fine, however I cannot link it into my project, all the methods are showing as unresolved externals. i have tried to explictly link (adding the object to the link line), however it ignores the object saying it is there already. By the way I am using Visual C++ 6.0. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Peter template<class PACKET> class CSHWrapper { public: /* Generic ctor * */ CSHWrapper(); /* ctor which wil...

Service Scheduling MS CRM
Guys There are some extremely knowledgeable people in here I am hoping some one can help me. Any help you can give me is appreciate. We will not mind paying for your help if you are a freelancer and would spend time getting this to work for us. We have an implementation of Microsoft CRM 3.0 and would like to use the Service Scheduling to help us run our fleet of buses. We have a fleet of 8 buses, 6 drivers and need to schedule them for a variety of jobs. Each bus has a capacity of 20, 30 or 50. The buses can be out of order and drivers can be on holiday or off sick. We want to able ...