Outlook Express 6 can not send emails, but can receive emails.

This problem started awhile back (mid to late 2009) when I could no longer
reply to emails, but could foward and create new emails. Then fowarded emails
stopped working, and then created emails stopped working. NO ERROR CODES. I
still receive emails fine, there is nothing in my Out Box, everything goes to
the Sent file like it really was sent. I contacted my ISP twice. The problem
was not on there end. Tried "An Outlook Express basic repair kit" didn't
work. Tried to go to restore point(s) and it would not restore to any
date(s). I did a partial recovery (June 2010), and after contacting my ISP to
set up my internet connection and email setting my email worked fine. But
after Windows finished installing all the updates my email stopped sending
again, I still receive emails. I again contacted my ISP and checked all my
settings (OK). I have even gone so far as to completly delete my virus and
spyware programs, nothing changed. Reinstalled them and still no change. I am
running Windows XP (with all the updates installed), Norton 360, and Webroots
Spysweeper program, I've used both for over 5 years with no problems. Yes
they are both the latest versions and up to date and I have run scans,
nothing found. I've been to the news groups site and fourms site and nothing
really matches this problem. Sorry this is so long, but I noticed that people
kept wanting more info in order to help with the problem. My thoughts are it
is one of the Windows updates, but which one? I sure hope someone has the
anwser.
--
Thanks for your help.

[Crosspost to OE General newsgroup (while it's still around)]

I don't think Windows Update has anything to do with this.

Is WinXP SP3 installed?

When does your current Norton 360 subscription expire (or is it really
Norton Security Suite freebie from your ISP)?

Have you ever downloaded/run the Norton Removal Tool?

Has another Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed
on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
(saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2a. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
Folder Options | View (cf.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Jeff wrote:
> This problem started awhile back (mid to late 2009) when I could no longer
> reply to emails, but could foward and create new emails. Then fowarded
> emails stopped working, and then created emails stopped working. NO ERROR
> CODES. I still receive emails fine, there is nothing in my Out Box,
> everything goes to the Sent file like it really was sent. I contacted my
> ISP twice. The problem was not on there end. Tried "An Outlook Express
> basic repair kit" didn't work. Tried to go to restore point(s) and it
> would
> not restore to any date(s). I did a partial recovery (June 2010), and
> after
> contacting my ISP to set up my internet connection and email setting my
> email worked fine. But after Windows finished installing all the updates
> my
> email stopped sending again, I still receive emails. I again contacted my
> ISP and checked all my settings (OK). I have even gone so far as to
> completly delete my virus and spyware programs, nothing changed.
> Reinstalled them and still no change. I am running Windows XP (with all
> the
> updates installed), Norton 360, and Webroots Spysweeper program, I've used
> both for over 5 years with no problems. Yes they are both the latest
> versions and up to date and I have run scans, nothing found. I've been to
> the news groups site and fourms site and nothing really matches this
> problem. Sorry this is so long, but I noticed that people kept wanting
> more
> info in order to help with the problem. My thoughts are it is one of the
> Windows updates, but which one? I sure hope someone has the anwser.

0
PA
6/25/2010 7:02:54 PM
Have you asked the experts in the Outlook Express newsgroups/forums?

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]
: --
: Thanks for your help.

0
Yuri

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

Exchange 5.5- need to increase maximum size for received mail
I need to change either the default maximum received email size for all mailboxes or for one user, but would like to know how to do both. Someone is trying to send a large email and it keeps getting bounced. To increase the limit the user can receive open the users mailbox in Exchange Admin, click the Limits tab and increase the Incoming limit. Please note that by default it is set to "No Limit". I am not sure how to change it for everyone. "Jeremy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f79d01c457cb$487a2ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I nee...

gridlines in outlook?

How can i insert multiple pictures in a word doc, simultaneously?
Hello! I need to put in multiple photos from a file in my reports, and i would like them to be sized to fit 6-10 per page. Is there any way to do that in one simple step? Thanks! It depends on your definition of simple. In order to control the layout of the images you need to insert them in a table of fixed cell width. The images will then adapt to the width of the cell. How many will fit of a page is determined by whether the images are portrait mode or landscape mode - or mixed modes. The following macro will insert a two column table at the cursor and proceed to en...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Email body arrives as attachment
Hi We are receiving a number of emails which are mostly replies where the email body is added as an attachment. I can only think this is being caused by antivirus systems on other peoples email servers, a fact that I am trying to check, however would welcome any suggestions. This is a new problem that has only kicked in today. The server did run out of disk space this morning but that has been resolved (the backup failed and did not remove the logs). thanks in advance ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine
Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008 database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also tried using Access ...

Outlook XP and attachments

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...