lost folders

A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after
this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle
Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't
overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had
her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items
folder there.

Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of
messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as soon as she
turns on the computer. She always refuses.

Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or is it
likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?

Thank you,

Jo-Anne

0
Jo

1: Did she lose the folders, or the contents?
2: In the Recycle Bin? Are these BAK files? They are copies made when
compacting.

> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large
> number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as
> soon as she turns on the computer. She always refuses.

Space taken up by messages is not reclaimed until you compact. What an
empty Inbox looks like could well be very bloated.

The two most common reasons for what you describe is disruption of the
compacting process, (never touch anything until it's finished), or bloated
folders. More on that below.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

Why Mail Disappears:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Recovery tools:

If you are running XP/SP2, or SP3, and are fully patched, then you should
have a backup of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, (or possibly the
message store), copied as bak files.

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first find the
location of the Message Store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the .dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

Close OE and then in Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the
missing, or empty, folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted
later once you have successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the
Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
on to the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
the folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

If you do not have bak copies of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, then:

DBXpress run in Extract From Disk Mode is the best chance to recover
messages:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

And see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

A general warning to help avoid this in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 300MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]
      Imperial Beach, CA

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after
>this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her
>Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She
>hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent
>Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is
>no Sent Items folder there.
>
> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large
> number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as
> soon as she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>
> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or
> is it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jo-Anne

0
Bruce
5/11/2010 11:54:36 PM
Thank you, Bruce!

1. She lost the folders as well as the contents.

2. The two folders in the Recycle Bin were BAK files. I don't know if she
knew to look for BAK files in the Store. I'll also ask her if she can see
hidden files--and if not, I'll pass along the information about how to
enable that view.

Is it possible for the compacting process to occur without her explicitly
clicking OK?

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>>Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after
>>this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her
>>Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She
>>hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent
>>Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no
>>Sent Items folder there.
>>
>> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number
>> of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as soon as
>> she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>>
>> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or is
>> it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?

0
Jo
5/12/2010 12:09:19 AM
1: Have her check for another identity. If the default OE folders actually
do not appear, (Inbox, Sent Items, etc.), even empty, that is very
strange.

Compacting without approval should not happen, but failure to compact is
inviting this problem to occur. Have her read this again.

--

> [...]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>>>Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened
>>>after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in
>>>her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared.
>>>She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in
>>>Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and
>>>there is no Sent Items folder there.
>>>
>>> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large
>>> number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as
>>> soon as she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>>>
>>> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or
>>> is it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?

0
Bruce
5/12/2010 12:48:54 AM
Thank you, Bruce! I've passed everything along to her.

> [...]
>>> created folders under 300MB, and Default folders as empty as is
>>> feasible.
>>>
>>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
>>> and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
>>> changes and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your
>>> up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
>>> more, see:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>>
>>> And backup often.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
5/12/2010 1:44:07 AM
Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first opening and
closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the Compact Check
Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100, the compact message
will appear.
Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first starting
and closing OE.

Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or inbox.bak?

Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
What is the location of the Store folder?
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
> Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after
> this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her
> Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She
> hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent
> Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no
> Sent Items folder there.
>
> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number
> of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as soon as she
> turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>
> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or is
> it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jo-Anne

0
Ron
5/12/2010 3:15:59 AM
What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as soon
as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she gets it at
other times too.

She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
inbox.bak and drafts.bak.

I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent Items
one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)

Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed her
how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far as I
could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed mine from
where Microsoft put it.

Thank you, Ron!

Jo-Anne

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first opening
> and closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the Compact
> Check Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100, the compact
> message will appear.
> Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first starting
> and closing OE.
>
> Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or
> inbox.bak?
>
> Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
> What is the location of the Store folder?
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>> Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after
>> this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her
>> Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She
>> hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent
>> Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is
>> no Sent Items folder there.
>>
>> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number
>> of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as soon as
>> she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>>
>> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or is
>> it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
Jo
5/12/2010 3:33:35 AM
Ask her if Windows Search is installed on this machine. If yes, she has to
tell it to stop indexing OE.

Windows Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/desktopsearch/search/options.mspx

In the Windows Control Panel | Indexing Options | Modify. Clear the check
box for Outlook Express.

+++++++++++++++++++

That is a separate issue and not the reason for the missing messages
though. You've seen this before. She needs to.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program

> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she
> gets it at other times too.
>
> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>
> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>
> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far
> as I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed
> mine from where Microsoft put it.
>
> Thank you, Ron!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>> Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first opening
>> and closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the Compact
>> Check Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100, the
>> compact message will appear.
>> Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first
>> starting and closing OE.
>>
>> Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or
>> inbox.bak?
>>
>> Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
>> What is the location of the Store folder?
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>>> Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened
>>> after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in
>>> her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared.
>>> She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in
>>> Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and
>>> there is no Sent Items folder there.
>>>
>>> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large
>>> number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as
>>> soon as she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>>>
>>> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or
>>> is it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

0
Bruce
5/12/2010 3:41:05 AM
Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she gets
> it at other times too.
>
> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>
> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>
> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far as
> I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed mine
> from where Microsoft put it.
>
> Thank you, Ron!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>> Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first opening
>> and closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the Compact
>> Check Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100, the
>> compact message will appear.
>> Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first starting
>> and closing OE.
>>
>> Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or
>> inbox.bak?
>>
>> Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
>> What is the location of the Store folder?
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook
>>> Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened
>>> after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in
>>> her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared.
>>> She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent
>>> Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is
>>> no Sent Items folder there.
>>>
>>> Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large
>>> number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. This happens as
>>> soon as she turns on the computer. She always refuses.
>>>
>>> Is there any place she might be able to find her Sent Items folder, or
>>> is it likely gone for good? And any idea of what could have happened?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

0
Jo
5/12/2010 4:11:44 AM
Does she have a Sent Items folder in OE? She can't if there is no dbx
file. I have never seen that happen though. Empty folder yes, but no
folder? Have her close OE reboot and open OE. No Sent items folder in OE?
Almost impossible.

Tell her to create a new identity and import her messages. That won't get
back missing messages from the old Sent Items, but she will have a fresh
start.

If she really needs those Sent Items messages, she's going to need
DBXpress.

DBXpress:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

She may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal
recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.
--

> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
>> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she
>> gets it at other times too.
>>
>> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
>> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>>
>> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
>> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>>
>> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
>> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far
>> as I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed
>> mine from where Microsoft put it.
>>
>> Thank you, Ron!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>> Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first
>>> opening and closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the
>>> Compact Check Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100,
>>> the compact message will appear.
>>> Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first
>>> starting and closing OE.
>>>
>>> Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or
>>> inbox.bak?
>>>
>>> Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
>>> What is the location of the Store folder?
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Bruce
5/12/2010 4:23:35 AM
I'll check with her tomorrow, Bruce, and will report back. I've forwarded
her your messages.

> Does she have a Sent Items folder in OE? She can't if there is no dbx
> file. I have never seen that happen though. Empty folder yes, but no
> folder? Have her close OE reboot and open OE. No Sent items folder in OE?
> Almost impossible.
>
> Tell her to create a new identity and import her messages. That won't get
> back missing messages from the old Sent Items, but she will have a fresh
> start.
>
> If she really needs those Sent Items messages, she's going to need
> DBXpress.
>
> DBXpress:
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
>
> She may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal
> recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
>> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
>>> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she
>>> gets it at other times too.
>>>
>>> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
>>> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>>>
>>> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
>>> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>>>
>>> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
>>> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far
>>> as I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed
>>> mine from where Microsoft put it.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Ron!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

0
Jo
5/12/2010 4:54:17 AM
I have never heard of a situation like this.  As a test, I opened and closed
OE.  Opened the Store folder and deleted Sent Items.dbx.  Opening OE
generated a new Sent Items.dbx.  All of the OE local folders will be
regenerated if deleted.
Each Identity's files will be in a folder named with a long string of
numbers and letters.  Please confirm that there is only one folder named
with a long string of numbers and letters.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
>> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she gets
>> it at other times too.
>>
>> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
>> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>>
>> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
>> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>>
>> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
>> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far as
>> I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed mine
>> from where Microsoft put it.
>>
>> Thank you, Ron!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>> Getting the 'OE needs to compact folders' message without first opening
>>> and closing OE is caused by several programs that increase the Compact
>>> Check Count.  When the Compact Check Count number exceeds 100, the
>>> compact message will appear.
>>> Please confirm if the compact message is appearing without first
>>> starting and closing OE.
>>>
>>> Is she displaying the file extensions?  Did she find inbox.dbx or
>>> inbox.bak?
>>>
>>> Where there any dbx files in the Store folder?
>>> What is the location of the Store folder?
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Ron
5/12/2010 9:05:04 AM
My apologies, Ron! My friend had said the folders were gone. When I called
her today and asked specifically if they existed, she said yes but they were
empty.

She has only one identity. She's computer-literate and did look in the right
place for the long strings of numbers and letters. I'm guessing that,
despite my suggesting it more than once, she never did compact all her
folders. (She has told me several times that she compacts her Deleted Items
folder.) So it's quite possible that there was an overload in those folders.
I don't think she understood that the folders could have more in them than
shows in OE.

Thank you very much!

>I have never heard of a situation like this.  As a test, I opened and
>closed OE.  Opened the Store folder and deleted Sent Items.dbx.  Opening OE
>generated a new Sent Items.dbx.  All of the OE local folders will be
>regenerated if deleted.
> Each Identity's files will be in a folder named with a long string of
> numbers and letters.  Please confirm that there is only one folder named
> with a long string of numbers and letters.
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
>> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> What she told me is that she's getting the "compact folders" message as
>>> soon as WinXP comes up after she turns on the computer. And then she
>>> gets it at other times too.
>>>
>>> She is displaying the file extensions. In the Recycle Bin she found
>>> inbox.bak and drafts.bak.
>>>
>>> I believe the only .dbx file missing from the Store folder is the Sent
>>> Items one. (I've emailed her to confirm, though.)
>>>
>>> Her Store folder is located where Microsoft originally put it. I showed
>>> her how to find it, and she started reading the location to me; as far
>>> as I could tell, it's in the same place mine is--and I never changed
>>> mine from where Microsoft put it.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Ron!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

0
Jo
5/12/2010 5:09:30 PM
Thank you, Bruce! I did check with her, and indeed the folders exist;
they're just empty. She had said they were gone. I should have asked her to
clarify.

I think she's going to let the missing messages go. She uses her computer
for work and is not allowed to download any but company-approved programs.
She uses Outlook for her work email and OE for her personal email--and much
prefers OE, despite the glitches.

I will suggest to her that she create a new identity; I did that at your
suggestion a while back, and it has worked very well.

0
Jo
5/12/2010 5:41:34 PM
Glad that is cleared up.
--
You're welcome.
Thanks for reporting back.

> My apologies, Ron! My friend had said the folders were gone. When I called
> her today and asked specifically if they existed, she said yes but they
> were empty.
>
> She has only one identity. She's computer-literate and did look in the
> right place for the long strings of numbers and letters. I'm guessing
> that, despite my suggesting it more than once, she never did compact all
> her folders. (She has told me several times that she compacts her Deleted
> Items folder.) So it's quite possible that there was an overload in those
> folders. I don't think she understood that the folders could have more in
> them than shows in OE.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>I have never heard of a situation like this.  As a test, I opened and
>>closed OE.  Opened the Store folder and deleted Sent Items.dbx.  Opening
>>OE generated a new Sent Items.dbx.  All of the OE local folders will be
>>regenerated if deleted.
>> Each Identity's files will be in a folder named with a long string of
>> numbers and letters.  Please confirm that there is only one folder named
>> with a long string of numbers and letters.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
>>> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>>>
>>> Thank you again!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Ron
5/12/2010 5:59:48 PM
No need to create the new identity if Sent Items exists. Jus let her know
the 'do's and don'ts' of OE for the future.
--

> Thank you, Bruce! I did check with her, and indeed the folders exist;
> they're just empty. She had said they were gone. I should have asked her
> to clarify.
>
> I think she's going to let the missing messages go. She uses her
> computer for work and is not allowed to download any but
> company-approved programs. She uses Outlook for her work email and OE
> for her personal email--and much prefers OE, despite the glitches.
>
> I will suggest to her that she create a new identity; I did that at your
> suggestion a while back, and it has worked very well.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Does she have a Sent Items folder in OE? She can't if there is no dbx
>> file. I have never seen that happen though. Empty folder yes, but no
>> folder? Have her close OE reboot and open OE. No Sent items folder in
>> OE? Almost impossible.
>>
>> Tell her to create a new identity and import her messages. That won't
>> get back missing messages from the old Sent Items, but she will have a
>> fresh start.
>>
>> If she really needs those Sent Items messages, she's going to need
>> DBXpress.
>>
>> DBXpress:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
>>
>> She may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal
>> recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Addendum: She confirmed that the only .dbx file missing from the Store
>>> folder is the Sent Items one. And she has only one identity.
>>>
>>> Thank you again!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Bruce
5/12/2010 9:07:01 PM
Thank you, Bruce! I'm hoping she read what I forwarded her from this
newsgroup. Maybe she'll believe you when she apparently didn't believe me. I
had told her a while back to compact all her folders, not just Deleted
Items.

> No need to create the new identity if Sent Items exists. Jus let her know
> the 'do's and don'ts' of OE for the future.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Bruce! I did check with her, and indeed the folders exist;
>> they're just empty. She had said they were gone. I should have asked her
>> to clarify.
>>
>> I think she's going to let the missing messages go. She uses her computer
>> for work and is not allowed to download any but company-approved
>> programs. She uses Outlook for her work email and OE for her personal
>> email--and much prefers OE, despite the glitches.
>>
>> I will suggest to her that she create a new identity; I did that at your
>> suggestion a while back, and it has worked very well.
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Does she have a Sent Items folder in OE? She can't if there is no dbx
>>> file. I have never seen that happen though. Empty folder yes, but no
>>> folder? Have her close OE reboot and open OE. No Sent items folder in
>>> OE? Almost impossible.
>>>
>>> Tell her to create a new identity and import her messages. That won't
>>> get back missing messages from the old Sent Items, but she will have a
>>> fresh start.
>>>
>>> If she really needs those Sent Items messages, she's going to need
>>> DBXpress.
>>>
>>> DBXpress:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
>>>
>>> She may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal
>>> recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
5/13/2010 2:13:29 AM
Perhaps your friend did not understand 'compaction' in this OE context,
thinking it meant compression (as I did many years ago).

Simply out, compaction in OE is a process that releases space created by
deleted messages.  Without compaction the folder stays at the same size as
if the messages had never been deleted.  It is easy to observe in small
folders in constant use like the Outbox (if you use it, that is).  Pass a
few messages with large attachments through it and you can soon build up,
say, 20 MB, even on empty.  Compaction  will reduce back to about 59 kB

You can view your folder sizes by navigating to the message store using a
file manager like Windows Explorer.

Doing this also helps you monitor if the folders are getting too big.  As
our MVPs have said many times, 2 GB is the absolute limit but should be much
smaller if possible.

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
> Thank you, Bruce! I'm hoping she read what I forwarded her from this
> newsgroup. Maybe she'll believe you when she apparently didn't believe me.
> I had told her a while back to compact all her folders, not just Deleted
> Items.
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> No need to create the new identity if Sent Items exists. Jus let her know
>> the 'do's and don'ts' of OE for the future.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, Bruce! I did check with her, and indeed the folders exist;
>>> they're just empty. She had said they were gone. I should have asked her
>>> to clarify.
>>>
>>> I think she's going to let the missing messages go. She uses her
>>> computer for work and is not allowed to download any but
>>> company-approved programs. She uses Outlook for her work email and OE
>>> for her personal email--and much prefers OE, despite the glitches.
>>>
>>> I will suggest to her that she create a new identity; I did that at your
>>> suggestion a while back, and it has worked very well.
>>>
>>> Thank you again!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

0
DAS
5/16/2010 5:43:52 PM
Thank you, DAS! I'll pass this along to her.

Jo-Anne

"DAS" <nobody@spam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Perhaps your friend did not understand 'compaction' in this OE context,
> thinking it meant compression (as I did many years ago).
>
> Simply out, compaction in OE is a process that releases space created by
> deleted messages.  Without compaction the folder stays at the same size as
> if the messages had never been deleted.  It is easy to observe in small
> folders in constant use like the Outbox (if you use it, that is).  Pass a
> few messages with large attachments through it and you can soon build up,
> say, 20 MB, even on empty.  Compaction  will reduce back to about 59 kB
>
> You can view your folder sizes by navigating to the message store using a
> file manager like Windows Explorer.
>
> Doing this also helps you monitor if the folders are getting too big.  As
> our MVPs have said many times, 2 GB is the absolute limit but should be
> much
> smaller if possible.
>
> DAS
>
> To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
> --
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Bruce! I'm hoping she read what I forwarded her from this
>> newsgroup. Maybe she'll believe you when she apparently didn't believe
>> me.
>> I had told her a while back to compact all her folders, not just Deleted
>> Items.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> No need to create the new identity if Sent Items exists. Jus let her
>>> know
>>> the 'do's and don'ts' of OE for the future.
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo

deleted folder
Icannot empty my deleted box allo ar once only one at a time "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:221DFD33-3CC9-47F5-8A51-2E3058A64AA5@microsoft.com... > Icannot empty my deleted box allo ar once only one at a time Enable the spell checker please, and try again. mac Hello Tim, The options in PROBLEM ONE of the tutorial below may be able to help you get this sorted. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html Hope this helps, Shawn tim;1209818 Wrote: > Icannot empty my deleted box allo ar...

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

Public Folders using Outlook 97
We have several users still using Windows 98 running Office 97 connected to our Exchange server in Windows SBS 2003 server. How do I get the public folders to show up in this older version of Outlook? Thanks Ron If the user has permission to view the folders, they should appear in = the Folder List.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Ron Boetger" <rboetger@bblink.net> wrote in message = news:9je3511te7i986ampmsb8t...

Change Folder List order
I'm running OL 2003 SP2 under XP Pro. In my Outlook Folder List I have 4 open folders: MAIN, Archive 1995-2000, Archive 2000-2005, and Other. That's the order in which they appear. I'd like to move "Other" up into the 2nd position, but can't figure out how to change the order. How do I do this? you'll have to rename it - outlook puts the non-default folder sets in alphabetical order. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Task...

Shortcuts to folders: Outlook 2003 #2
Hi there, I have just started using Outlook 2003. In Outlook 2002 (XP?) it was possible to create a shortcut link to a folder in the file system into which emails could be dragged and dropped. This does not seem possible in Outlook 2003. Can this be done or not? TIA, Kim. Kim Bracknell <no_spam_please_kbracknell_at_foi.wa.gov.au> wrote: > Hi there, I have just started using Outlook 2003. In Outlook 2002 > (XP?) it was possible to create a shortcut link to a folder in the > file system into which emails could be dragged and dropped. This does > not seem possible in Outloo...

Opening other user's folder in Entourage X
Does anyone know how to open other user's folders, such as Calendar, in Entourage X (Mac version of Outlook)? Thanks for your assistance, John Try posting in a Mac Entourage group - the applications are very different. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, john smith asked: | Does anyone know how to open other user's folders, such as Calendar, | in Entourage X (Mac version o...

how to remove e-mail attachments from public folders
Is there way to configure public folders to strip and remove e-mail attachments, when users move emails from their inbox to the public folders? In my public folders I have setup a lets say projects folder for users to move e-mails they get from outside vendors involving different projects. The problem I have is this; E-mails come with file attachments and users forget to delete the attachments before they move the e-mails to the project folder. As result my public folder has grown too large. Is there a way I can set things up when an e-mail is moved from the users inbox to the public fo...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

Customising Outlook defaults for new folders.
Is there a way to set the default settings for new Outlook folders? I am using Outlook 2003. I personally do not like the reading pane, I find emails sorted in group difficult to read and I also find the default ordering of the columns in the list of message quite unproductive for me. I appreciate the many may like the defalt order, however I would simply like to have the option of establishing the defaults I find most productive. Have I missed something in the Outlook set-up options? View->Current View->Customize. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

Can I remove the Favorites folder from the public folders tree?
The subject line pretty much says it all. thanks all. "Armin" <armin@musicarc.org> wrote: >The subject line pretty much says it all. > >thanks all. No. That folder is there for end users to synchronise public folders to their OST's. It's not on the exchange server, it's on the client. Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm & http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm ...

Permissions on public folders
I want to lock down the public folders so that users cannot download the contact information they contain to handheld units. I also do not want them to be able to copy, cut, download, export, etc. this information, either from their desktop or using OWA. Outlook 2000, Exchange Server 2000. Thanks! Not really possible. You could have everyone use terminal services to access the server instead of running Outlook locally - this will stop them from syncing to a handheld, but you can't stop them from copying, forwarding, anything to which they have read access. Angie wrote: > I want ...

Accessing documents in public folders slow after move
I originally had a single server Exchange 2000 orgnization and decided to upgrade to Exchange 2003 by adding a an Exchange 2003 server and performing the steps in kb art. 822931, "How to Remove the First Exchange 2003 Server Computer from the Site". I have not uninstalled Exchange from the original server yet, but it is turned off for a few days to see if any problems arise without it. The problem i observe is this: When opening documents that have been published in PF`s Outlook appears to hang, a 20k word document may take up to two minutes to load. Plenty bandwith avail...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Mail preview in e-mail folders
Hi.... I've learned many years ago that the preview pane in email folders in outlook was a sin. The email had to be opened to be shown, and that could lead to the activation of malicious code. Even to day as I make new folders, the preview pane is automatically there. I have many, many email folders in my outlook 2007, all of which has gotten their preview pane reactivated after a recent hard disk crash. Now I wonder: Is using the preview pane lowering the security level? Is there an easy one step way to turn off the preview pane in all folders? Is there a way to prevent Outlook to ...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

How to check Public Folder Content has fully replicated?
Hi, I am near the end of an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration and have just created replicas of my public folders on the new Exchange 2003 public folder server. Is there any way I can check that the content for the public folders have fully replicated to the new 2003 public folder server? The Pub.ebd on both servers are different sizes (the exchange 2003 is bigger). We have over 7000 public folders, so it is not a realistic to check the size of each public folder on 5.5 then on 2003. Can anyone suggest a utility that will compare the number of messages on each server within the publ...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

lost folders
A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items folder there. Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. Th...

lost authenticity number
I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is there any way to get the number off of my computer? If you mean your Product Key, you can call Micorosft for it. I'm assuming you have to reload Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Amy Gentzyel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ecd01c48d27$cfcdaba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is > there any way to get the number off of my computer? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://w...

upgraded from MS98 to XP pro and lost emails in Outlook Express
I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them back? >-----Original Message----- >I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. >That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook >Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them >back? >. >I have just upgraded also, I have the problem when I export my mail and import to XP all attachments are gone! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Offi...

newsgroup access lost
Hi y'all, I set up access to Newsgroups by adding to the Go Menu as per on-line directions. I used the newsgroup and shut the program. Somewhere along the way it disappeared. I tried to set it up again, but now it's missing (completely). I tried a repair. No good. Any suggestions? Thanks. Robert Do a hard reset on the Toolbar by renaming outcmd.dat to outcmd.old. You should then be able to add it again. Also see the following for more options; http://www.sparnaaij.net/faq/news.htm -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outloo...

Lost Email after Uninstall
I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup my emails. Did I really loose my email or did Microsoft's uninstall program leave the email file somewhere. I have looked for .pst and ..dbx files but can't find any. Thanks, strad Uninstalling never removes your PST file. Keep looking. Make sure you've enabled the display and search of hidden folders. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "strad" <stradwork@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c90a0f78.0310300748.3897db85@posting.google.com... > I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup...

7MC Movie Folder Display
Back in the a kept my movies in neat little folders under the 'Video' group. I could click on video and see my shares, click on a share and see some movies and some folders, and dig through the file structure. Now. . . 7MC offers me a 'Movie' group and I moved my movies there, but now my file structure disolved and I lost the ability to sort on file date. Mmm. . . Any way to get that back? Bill? If you are listening. I don't mind that you decide for America how they should view their videos with your software, but it seems to me that it would be easier t...