KB977816 keeps notifying

Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup.

The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates, including
KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to "add/remove
programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps notifying
that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs it,
it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute later,
the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again.

Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service
and starting it again, did not help....

I know it's already installed, and I just want to get rid of that auto
update notification coz it's really annoying....

Any ideas?

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9778616

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.  There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates.  When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB977816).

Or you can...

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following pages for assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Grant Lui wrote:
> Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup.
>
> The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates,
> including
> KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to
> "add/remove
> programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps
> notifying
> that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs
> it, it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute
> later, the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again.
>
> Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service
> and starting it again, did not help....
>
> I know it's already installed, and I just want to get rid of that auto
> update notification coz it's really annoying....
>
> Any ideas?

0
PA
4/18/2010 11:12:19 PM
Grant Lui,

 Just out of curiosity, what service pack are you running?
-=-

"Grant Lui" wrote:

> Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup.
>
> The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates, including
> KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to "add/remove
> programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps notifying
> that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs it,
> it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute later,
> the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again.
>
> Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service
> and starting it again, did not help....
>
> I know it's already installed, and I just want to get rid of that auto
> update notification coz it's really annoying....
>
> Any ideas?
Hi... I'm running service pack 4, basically all critical updates are up to
current, except this KB977816 issue is rather irritating.

I also tried to enable install mode by putting the command "change user
/install" in the command prompt, didn't help either.

Nevertheless, I tried to do it manually by visiting the windows update
website, again, it said update successful... no errors had happened.... I
even tried to install it manually by downloading the patch from MS and
install it with install mode... again... the installer claims that update is
successful and that the patch also successfully recorded in the "add/remove
programs".

I check also the log... also told that the update went successful.

Really have no idea what went wrong :(

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Grant Lui,
>
>  Just out of curiosity, what service pack are you running?
> -=-
>

> "Grant Lui" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup.
> >
> > The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates, including
> > KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to "add/remove
> > programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps notifying
> > that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs it,
> > it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute later,
> > the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again.
> >
> > Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service
> > and starting it again, did not help....
> >
> > I know it's already installed, and I just want to get rid of that auto
> > update notification coz it's really annoying....
> >
> > Any ideas?
If you review the names / dates of the files updated by the patch, most
likely you will find that one or both did not get updated properly.

From TechNet Article:
'MS10-026: Vulnerability in Microsoft MPEG Layer-3 codec could
allow remote code execution' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977816)
Windows 2000 file information
For all supported editions of Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Collapse this tableExpand this tableFile name File version File size
Date Time Platform
L3codecx.ax 1.6.0.51 143,422 21-Jan-2010 19:46 Not Applicable
L3codeca.acm 1.9.0.306 307,260 21-Jan-2010 19:48 Not Applicable

On the few machines that I was seeing this issue on, L3codeca.acm, in
%WINDIR%\System32 was not updated, even though the patch reported as
successfully installed.

Suggestion would be to manually copy L3codeca.acm from a different
machine and replace on the problem machine.

This process resolved the issue for me.

--
US Tech 1932

US
4/25/2010 3:06:21 AM
I am having the same problem but I do not have another machine to copy
L3codeca.acm.  Any other way to fix this?

"US Tech 1932" wrote:

> If you review the names / dates of the files updated by the patch, most
> likely you will find that one or both did not get updated properly.
>
> From TechNet Article:
> 'MS10-026: Vulnerability in Microsoft MPEG Layer-3 codec could
> allow remote code execution' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977816)
> Windows 2000 file information
> For all supported editions of Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> Collapse this tableExpand this tableFile name File version File size
> Date Time Platform
> L3codecx.ax 1.6.0.51 143,422 21-Jan-2010 19:46 Not Applicable
> L3codeca.acm 1.9.0.306 307,260 21-Jan-2010 19:48 Not Applicable
>
> On the few machines that I was seeing this issue on, L3codeca.acm, in
> %WINDIR%\System32 was not updated, even though the patch reported as
> successfully installed.
>
> Suggestion would be to manually copy L3codeca.acm from a different
> machine and replace on the problem machine.
>
> This process resolved the issue for me.
>

> --
> US Tech 1932
>
> .

Windows Update extracts the files that are part of the patch here:
%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\{long series of numbers and
letters}\{Sub Folders}  (Don't have exact folder name for this patch)

Search for "L3codeca.acm" there.

--
US Tech 1932

US
5/6/2010 8:28:38 PM
Install Media Player Nine and its subsequent updates. 977816 will then
detect correctly. I bet this issue only is occuring with machines still at
media player version 6.4.

"Grant Lui" wrote:

> Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup.
>
> The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates, including
> KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to "add/remove
> programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps notifying
> that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs it,
> it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute later,
> the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again.
>
> Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service
> and starting it again, did not help....
>
> I know it's already installed, and I just want to get rid of that auto
> update notification coz it's really annoying....
>
> Any ideas?
US Tech 1932

I did exactly what you suggested. It cleared the annoying problem.
Although in my case the l3codecx.ax was not updated aoutomatically.
0
David
7/2/2010 8:50:42 AM
Ur speil chukkers broke two

David Rachmani wrote:
> US Tech 1932
>
> I did exactly what you suggested. It cleared the annoying problem.
> Although in my case the l3codecx.ax was not updated aoutomatically.
0
PA

Keeping Window Location
Hello, I've written a DLL which consists of a dialog box. This dialog box gets invoked when a user pressess a specific button in parent app. When this dialog box is invoked, a user can move it around the screen and close it (fun stuff!). My question is this: is there a way to remember the last position of this dialog box so when it is closed and invoked again, it will start from its last position? I think Dialog Properities can enable this functionality but I am not sure which box to check to make it work. Any suggestions? Thank you, Victor. >My question is this: is ther...

Outlook 2003 keeps restarting
After downloading 25005 emails from a pop3 account my Outlook now keeps restarting. The Outlook file is 2.7Gb, and whilst it was downloading it said there was 282Mb of emails. I have tried scanpst and it has not worked. Can anyone suggest what to do next? doozadooza@gmail.com <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote: > After downloading 25005 emails from a pop3 account my Outlook now > keeps restarting. The Outlook file is 2.7Gb, and whilst it was > downloading it said there was 282Mb of emails. I have tried scanpst > and it has not worked. Can anyone suggest what to do next? If this...

Keep old Money file or start a new one?
I've been using MS Money for more than 3 years and now have a lot of data, that is be very valuable for averaging and correct statistics. Last month I separated and now the whole budged has changed, now I will use new bank account and pay new bills. My question is if I should start a new file from scratch and so have it "clean" or is it still better to keep the old data and just reconfigure the Money. In the latter case I guess, I always will see the old accounts that I don't use anymore and it can become confusing. Any suggestions on this? Thanks! "Anton&q...

How do you keep a 3-digit number starting with a "0" (ie. 058)
How do you keep a 3-digit number starting with a "0" (ie. 058)? Use a custom number format of 000. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1DC5D52-B4EB-44EF-A1B1-DD1DDD7CECFB@microsoft.com... > How do you keep a 3-digit number starting with a "0" (ie. 058)? Hi format the cell with the custom format 000 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeit...

How do I keep Publisher from cutting off part of a border?
Publisher keeps cutting off the bottom and side border when I print (depending on what type of set up I have). Right now I'm trying to print postcards (Avery 3380), 4 postcards to a page and it keeps cutting off the border on the right side. skmarshall <skmarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Publisher keeps cutting off the bottom and side border when I print > (depending on what type of set up I have). Right now I'm trying to > print postcards (Avery 3380), 4 postcards to a page and it keeps > cutting off the border on the ri...

keeping zeros
I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access deletes my zeros if the number starts with a zero. How do I prevent that from happening? Make the field text, not numeric. Realistically, since you're not going to be doing arithmetic with the value, you don't need it to be a number. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "jkjmwilliams" <jkjmwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:554BC1C1-371B-47D4-B9FE-35D4C724865F@microsoft.com... >I use last digits of SS# for StuId. However, access dele...

KB977816 keeps notifying
Hi, I have a W2K server with auto update setup. The thing is that, few days ago it downloaded a bunch of updates, including KB977816 and installed all of them. It is however, according to "add/remove programs", the KB977816 has been installed, but auto update keeps notifying that the update is ready to install. When ever I let auto update installs it, it just shows update was successful, no error. But less then a minute later, the auto update notify the KB977816 is ready for install again. Tried restart many times, did not help, tried stopping auto update service an...

KB977816 fails to apply to 2000 server
KB977816 fails to apply to 2000 server. After server reboots, update reappears and asks to be installed. I have noted that tech support has asked for the windowsupdate.log and the updateshandler.log in other incidents. The windows update.log is below, however I did not find an updateshandler.log (or anything close) on the server. I did find the KB977816.log and that also follows. The following errors are in the system log: ______________________________________ 4/26 16:01 Event Type: Error Event Source: Windows Update Agent Event Category: ...

How do I keep original picture order in Picture Manager?
How do I keep Picture Manager from alphabetizing my photo titles when I just want the original order? Any help appreciated. You could rename them in the order to which you want the photos to display. www.irfanview.com will do this as a batch. Get the plug-ins too. It is a free program. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "jadegirl" <jadegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8E1B8C7-DE3D-4203-AC85-0680BECE813F@microsoft.co...

Keep Money 2004 or 2005 to maintain internet accout updates longer
I am parallel testing M2005 and M2004 and so far have not encountered any problems. I was particularly concerned about the internet update option and the problems people were having with Yodlee. I don't thjnk my M2005 is using Yodlee, but if it is there's no problem. However I seem to recall a thread here regarding having to buy a new version every 2 years beginning with M2005 or the internet account updates would stop working...and that this "feature" applied to versions starting this year. Is that correct...ie if I keep M 2004, there is not pre-defined cutoff date for s...

Switch to Outlook but keep Yahoo address?
Hi, My wife has a laptop and uses Yahoo as her primary e-mail. Is it possible to set things up so she can keep the same Yahoo e-mail address, but switch to Outlook as the e-mail program? If so, can someone provide some specfics? Thanks, - Dan Dan, The first question would be; does yahoo allow you to set the yahoo account up as a pop3/smtp account? If this is not an option for you then yahoo is unable to be configured in outlook. If youcould configure it Outlook express then you will be able to put into Outlook with no issue. If you have any further questions just ask! Cheers &q...

Keeping track of things
How do you experienced Access gurus do it? I have only a few reports and a few tables and already I'm having difficulty figuring out which queries go into which report, which queries are stuff I was testing out and which ones I can safely delete without breaking a report. Do you follow some sort of naming convention? Why not build a table that list your table-query-form/report information? Have another table to track changes made in the database (Configuration Management). Keep a copy that relfects any change to the database configuration using date/version in the name. -- KARL DEWEY ...

Keep Together
I have a main table and then for each row I have another table inside the main table. What I dont understand is why the keep together function does not work in the inside table will not work. I do not want the inside table data to split among pages. It should be able to stay together but does not. Why is this such a pain? Ben Ben, Did you find an answer for this? My problem is simpler but the keep together is still breaking in the middle of repeat region. Thank Kevin Vogler "Ben Watts" <benryanwatts@live.com> wrote in message news:%231%232vg7j...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...

Keep it alive
Hello! Is it possible to declare an Access.Application object in a module of another db (let's call it db1), display the application window to the user interface and keep it alive even when db1 is closed? Because the database object is closed as soon as the memory used by db1 is released.. Thanks for any suggestion! Answered in another group where you posted this. ...

deposit to keep??
When you cancel a layaway and rms ask you if you want deposit to keep and you say ok, what happens to the money and where does that money go? and is there a way to turn off that button? ...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...