Installation of KB982311 Failed

Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002.  Attempted
install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
error code is 0x80070643  - and the system keeps trying to install this
particular update.

I am running Windows XP SP3.  All other updates from june 11th 2010
installed without problems - only this one failed.

I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.

"SMBetz" wrote:

> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002.  Attempted
> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.
I do not know the solution to this issue as I experience exactly the same as
"petermad" with MS Office 2003 PowerPoint Viewer. Have only this from the
whole MS Office suite and the problem replicates as described by "petermad".
Have submitted this to MS Support via e-mail, waiting for their solution.
Will share if would be given one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> error code is 0x80070643  - and the system keeps trying to install this
> particular update.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP3.  All other updates from june 11th 2010
> installed without problems - only this one failed.
>
> I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
>

> "SMBetz" wrote:
>
>> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002.  Attempted
>> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

0
Peter
6/11/2010 6:44:49 PM
Thanks Peter

I don't have .net installed, so that can't be the reason.

My setting in "Services" for "Office Source Engine" was "Manual" - I tried
setting it to "Automatic" and started the service, but it didn't help - I
still cannot install KB982311.

I have installed several other Office Updates, so I don't think that the
Office Source Engine is the problem here.  There must be something wrong with
KB98231, that prevents it from being installed under certain conditions.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> > error code is 0x80070643  - and the system keeps trying to install this
> > particular update.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP3.  All other updates from june 11th 2010
> > installed without problems - only this one failed.
> >
> > I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> > Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> > caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
> >

> > "SMBetz" wrote:
> >
> >> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002.  Attempted
> >> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.
>
> .

I have the same problem.  Running Windows XP Pro SP3.  Office 2002. Followed
instructions in
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643.
 Set Office Source Engine t oAUtomatic and started it. Rebooted and verified
the settings - automatic and started.  Tried to install update but it still
failed. Thanks for any help.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> > error code is 0x80070643  - and the system keeps trying to install this
> > particular update.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP3.  All other updates from june 11th 2010
> > installed without problems - only this one failed.
> >
> > I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> > Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> > caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
> >

> > "SMBetz" wrote:
> >
> >> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002.  Attempted
> >> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.
>
> .

I had the exact same problem, and this is how I solved it:

I tried the hints in
'Windows Update error 80070643' (http://tinyurl.com/y9zypwv)
and started the service 'Office Source Engine', which was set to manual
in my case. After trying to install KB982311 again, it still failed.
I don't think this helped at all, but maybe the 'O.S.E.' service needs
to run for the next actions to work.

I googled KB982311 and I downloaded the update from
'Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB982311)'
(http://tinyurl.com/2b6rwrb)
This is an exe, which can be opened with winzip, and contains 4 files:
ohotfix.exe, ohotfix.ini ohotfixr.dll and MSO.msp.
I extracted them to a temporary folder and executed MSO.msp. I could
just double-click it, but if it is not associated with any program you
should open it with c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe.
Then the update installed just fine.
At the end it asked to restart the computer which i was too lazy (and
impatient) to do at that time.

To check if it had really succeeded I ran windows update again, and then
it wanted to install 5 office related updates:
KB982311   (Yes still there, perhaps I should have restarted, but now it
succeeded!!!! )
KB982122
KB982133
KB983503
and
KB982134
The last one failed with error 0x80246002.....
But after a restart it also installed without any problem.

So in the end, everything is installed, no more nagging messages!
Thanks Microsoft, for this user-friendly experience, and the non-help in
the given solution.

Posted at http://microsofthelpforums.com

0
thedre

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

My IMAP account in Outlook Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in Outlook always works
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2. IMAP account in Outlook Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in Outlook always works. Error below: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Configuration: Account: Director Server: Server1 User name: AD\Director Protocol: IMAP Port: 143 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 800cccd1 I realize the workaround is domain/username/alias for the Outlook Express username. That still fails. I even made the alias the same as the username. Also fails. This very same workstation can access the...

Value Pak Installer

Installation #4

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL SPELL CHECK?
Go to www.c360.com. You can download a small spellcheck "add-on" that works with iespell. It's free and it works well. Regards, John ...

Excel won't start after install
After installing office XP excell goes through the motions but never actually starts...help Jon, Try the following: Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010701c3aad2$20f75500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing office XP excell goes through the > motions but never actually starts...help ...

Excel 2003 installation error
I have been using my PC with excel program for 3 years and when I tried to open an excel spreadsheat today and it would not open. "Installation error: file not found" appeared. File not found was SKU011.CAB and I have not been able to reinstall as I don't have the installation CD as I bought the PC second hand with programs on it. Can anyone help? If you have access to another computer you could save the file from one computer to a disc and copy it in to the appropriate file folder in the computer with the error. "derk22" wrote: > I have been using my PC wit...

installing updates. Never ends
when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says do not turn off computer.\\ well what do I do when the update never ends? TIA Snooky wrote: > when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates > and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. > > I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says > do not turn off computer.\\ > > well what do I do when the...

Office 2004 Mac install issue
Hi, Just visited a client with the following setup: 1 x brand new G5 iMac running Mac OS 10.4 1 x 2nd hand eMac 1 x copy of teacher version (3 licences) of Office 2004 Mac. The install on the iMac was faultless. The eMac is a different issue. As it was 2nd Hand we restored it to "out of the box" with the supplied DVD's (no old data remained on the machine). That brought it to 10.3.9. we then upgraded it to 10.4 using a fresh copy bought by the client. Trying to install Office the following happened. Using the setup assistant, the first screen was OK (telling us to be logge...

Installation of Money 04 with anti-virus
When I started to install Money 2004, I got a message saying that my McAfee Virus Scan might interfere with Money setup, and "can prevent you from using Money to download stock prices and other info..." Any advice? Take the message seriously. And search the archives of the newsgroup at http://groups.google.com; use advanced search and search newsgroup microsoft.public.money. "Clarence" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08e201c3ce58$bc73dea0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When I started to install Money 2004, I got a message > saying that my...

installing office home and student
I purchased a copy of office home and student and was wondering if I needed to uninstall the copy that came preinstalled on my computer before installing the new copy. This newsgroup is for questions and answers about Microsoft Access database software - Microsoft Access is not included in Office Home and Student. Even if you were asking about installing a version of Office that does include Microsoft Access, you would be better served by asking your question in a newsgroup devoted to Office. That said, it is often beneficial to uninstall an existing copy (esp. a trial copy)...

Installation
Hi, Do i need to have exchange and SQL run on the same server as the CRM package? Is Office 2003 compatible? Would appreciate some guideline to install CRM on a machine that doesn't have exchange and/or SQL running, instead, the exchange and sql database services run on a different machine within the same forest. Does the CRM server need to have Active Directory Installed? Thanks, Ash Ash Microsoft CRM needs to be installed on a server that is part of a windows 2000 or now 2003 Active Directory enabled domain. SQL and exchange do not need to be on the same machine. In fact CRM can ...

Installing Office Mac 2004
I've tried installing Office Mac 2004 onto a new computer and when I try to open any of the Office applications I get an "Upgrade Verification" box saying, "This software is an upgrade to an earlier version of the software. To continue installation, click Browse, and then select the folder that contains the earlier version of the software (Microsoft Office 2001 folder, for example). The folder can be located on either your computer or the CD-ROM from which you originally installed the earlier version of the software." Again, this is a brand new iMac, so there shou...