Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered...

I keep getting this message when using Update:
Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer

I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install any
updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.  What
gives?

Running XP Pro

I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
support using the cmd mode.  I seem to remember seeing in other posts related
to this problem, that there were some files that were not suggested, so I'm
really not sure if all the files needed were registered.  I also did a reboot
after registering the files.

"aztony" wrote:

> I keep getting this message when using Update:
> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
> on your computer
>
> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install any
> updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.  What
> gives?
>
> Running XP Pro
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

aztony wrote:
> I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
> support using the cmd mode.  I seem to remember seeing in other posts
> related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
> suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were registered.
> I also did a reboot after registering the files.
>
>> I keep getting this message when using Update:
>> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
>> installed on your computer
>>
>> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install
>> any updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.
>> What gives?
>>
>> Running XP Pro

0
PA
6/22/2010 3:02:21 PM
SP3
McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
startup.  The others are done manually.
No 3rd party firewall.
I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem with
it when they issued an upgrade.  I ended up uninstalling it and going to
McAfee.  It was not a trial version.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> aztony wrote:
> > I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
> > support using the cmd mode.  I seem to remember seeing in other posts
> > related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
> > suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were registered.
> > I also did a reboot after registering the files.
> >
> >> I keep getting this message when using Update:
> >> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> >> installed on your computer
> >>
> >> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install
> >> any updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.
> >> What gives?
> >>
> >> Running XP Pro
>
> .

> McAfee Security Suite

Pick one: McAfee Internet Security; McAfee Total Protection; McAfee Security
Center.

Had your ZA subscription already expired by the time you installed this
McAfee application?

Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

Is Spybot Resident Tea Timer enabled?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
--
~PA Bear

aztony wrote:
> SP3
> McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
> SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
> startup.  The others are done manually.
> No 3rd party firewall.
> I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem
> with
> it when they issued an upgrade.  I ended up uninstalling it and going to
> McAfee.  It was not a trial version.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than

>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> aztony wrote:
>>> I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
>>> support using the cmd mode.  I seem to remember seeing in other posts
>>> related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
>>> suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were
>>> registered.
>>> I also did a reboot after registering the files.

>> .

0
PA
6/23/2010 9:28:25 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I never received a notice that my
message was replied too and I haven't been on my desktop.

McAfee Security Center is the program I have.
No, ZA wasn't expired at the time of installation.  I used ZA's uninstall
program to make sure everything was deleted.
No, Tea Timer is off.

Just for reference.  Update was and had been working up and until I didn't
use the pc for 3 weeks.  When I went to turn it on and run windows update is
when this issue started.  What happened from the time I turned it off until
then I have no idea.  Is there a way to maybe repair Windows with the CD?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > McAfee Security Suite
>
> Pick one: McAfee Internet Security; McAfee Total Protection; McAfee Security
> Center.
>
> Had your ZA subscription already expired by the time you installed this
> McAfee application?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it?
>
> Is Spybot Resident Tea Timer enabled?
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> [Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
> DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> aztony wrote:
> > SP3
> > McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
> > SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
> > startup.  The others are done manually.
> > No 3rd party firewall.
> > I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem
> > with
> > it when they issued an upgrade.  I ended up uninstalling it and going to
> > McAfee.  It was not a trial version.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .
>
> .

You missed one...

> Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> you bought it?

Is McAfee Security Center a freebie from your ISP?

Did you try doing a Reset yet?

aztony wrote:
> Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I never received a notice that
> my
> message was replied too and I haven't been on my desktop.
>
> McAfee Security Center is the program I have.
> No, ZA wasn't expired at the time of installation.  I used ZA's uninstall
> program to make sure everything was deleted.
> No, Tea Timer is off.
>
> Just for reference.  Update was and had been working up and until I didn't
> use the pc for 3 weeks.  When I went to turn it on and run windows update
> is
> when this issue started.  What happened from the time I turned it off
> until
> then I have no idea.  Is there a way to maybe repair Windows with the CD?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> McAfee Security Suite
>>
>> Pick one: McAfee Internet Security; McAfee Total Protection; McAfee
>> Security Center.
>>
>> Had your ZA subscription already expired by the time you installed this
>> McAfee application?
>>
>> Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
>> you bought it?
>>
>> Is Spybot Resident Tea Timer enabled?
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> How do I reset Windows Update components?
>> [Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
>> DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> aztony wrote:
>>> SP3
>>> McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
>>> SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
>>> startup.  The others are done manually.
>>> No 3rd party firewall.
>>> I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem
>>> with
>>> it when they issued an upgrade.  I ended up uninstalling it and going to
>>> McAfee.  It was not a trial version.

>> .

0
PA

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Using outlook express as newsreaedr from outlook
I have added the News command to the menu items of outlook, this is supposed to Open oulook express as the newsreader, however when I select news it opens a folder 1033 instead of Outlook express. How do I correct this problem? Thanks for any help Bob Answer has been posted countless times. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the...

How to earase background of a Toolbar using OnEraseBkgnd method
Hi, How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. Regards, sowmya. On Jul 21, 5:39=A0am, bhavana.sow...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override > OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. > > Regards, > sowmya. What is the problem in doing so? Are you not able to paint it correctly. Keep in mind that if you make it transparent, its going to show the color of underlying dockbar. -- Ajay ...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to deal with empty element using ReadXML
below is a very simple XML file. I use ReadXml to read data. When it reaches an empty element as <Product /> below, my program crashes. The error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. How can I assign a value to this empty element? Thanks Bill --------------------- - <Inventory Type="Physical"> <Product /> <TankNumber>0031022207-1</TankNumber> <UserDefinedTag>0</UserDefinedTag> <DateTime>2007-07-11T03:52:00</DateTime> <Volume>0</Volume> <Ullage>1...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

12.0.1 Update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Hi there I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" Any ideas why this is happening? "danson@officeformac.com" wrote: > I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: > > "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" > > Any ideas why this is happening? See if Spotlight can find the "Setup Assistant". Next try to ap...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

How do I use Goal Seek?
i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Sure we can help. Bur what's the problem you want to solve? -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Brianne" <Brianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89542242-B37E-42E7-9165-E6C50423E47C@microsoft.com... > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? > > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Here's an simple example. Suppose to want to calculate the square root of the number in A1. In A3, put =A2...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

hello! Want to buy software Retail or OEM, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, Corel Symantec
WE BUY SOFTWARE EMAIL: theebayshark@aol.com <mailto:theebayshark@aol.com> WITH ANY SOFTWARE OFFERS. Sellussoftware.com WTB: WINDOWS XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES Email: theebayshark@aol.com <mailto:theebayshark@aol.com> with what you have. WE ARE BUYING WINDOWS XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES Email: theebayshark@aol.com <mailto:theebayshark@aol.com> with what you have. WE...

How do I configure Outlook to use a set email for a certain recipient
Hello, Is it possible to set Outlook 2003 in a way (either with rule or some other method) that it uses a set email address for a certain recipient? Let me clarify it. I have 2 different email accounts: one for work and for personal stuff. When I email to my friend -whose email address is stored in my address book - I want outlook to use my personal email address, even though my work email address is set as the default one. Is it possible with a rule, or some other way? I couldn't find any info on the net. Thanks, Zee Not in any current Outlook versions, no. --� Milly Staples [MVP ...