Failure on Security Essentials package installation.

Within the last week or so I got a new update for Microsoft Security
Essentials, an upgrade package - KB2254596, I think.

I've got a machine with WinXP+SP3 and I am also running:
Avast Anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall.

Now, the installation of the package failed (error 0x80070643:, I believe).

I rebooted the machine - still failed.

Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
anti-virus/anti-spyware installed. Well, I just stopped the Anti-virus and
then stopped all the services related to it, hoping this would work.

It didn't - now my Microsoft Security Essentials is gone (??) and obviously
I had to activate Avast again.

Any hint about:
- cause?
- solution?

(Do I really need to uninstall Avast?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

> Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
> anti-virus/anti-spyware installed.

There was a very prominent notice about this when you installed MSE.

> Do I really need to uninstall Avast?

Yes.  Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed & loading at
boot!

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

CarlosF wrote:
> Within the last week or so I got a new update for Microsoft Security
> Essentials, an upgrade package - KB2254596, I think.
>
> I've got a machine with WinXP+SP3 and I am also running:
> Avast Anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall.
>
> Now, the installation of the package failed (error 0x80070643:, I
> believe).
>
> I rebooted the machine - still failed.
>
> Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
> anti-virus/anti-spyware installed. Well, I just stopped the Anti-virus and
> then stopped all the services related to it, hoping this would work.
>
> It didn't - now my Microsoft Security Essentials is gone (??) and
> obviously
> I had to activate Avast again.
>
> Any hint about:
> - cause?
> - solution?
>
> (Do I really need to uninstall Avast?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

-2
PA
7/1/2010 9:01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.

No, neither Norton or McFee, ever - only Avavst.

And now, how do I recover/reinstall MSE back? It's not showing up in Windows
Update anymore.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
> > anti-virus/anti-spyware installed.
>
> There was a very prominent notice about this when you installed MSE.
>
> > Do I really need to uninstall Avast?
>
> Yes.  Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed & loading at
> boot!
>
> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
>
> Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
> anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
> computer?
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> CarlosF wrote:
> > Within the last week or so I got a new update for Microsoft Security
> > Essentials, an upgrade package - KB2254596, I think.
> >
> > I've got a machine with WinXP+SP3 and I am also running:
> > Avast Anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall.
> >
> > Now, the installation of the package failed (error 0x80070643:, I
> > believe).
> >
> > I rebooted the machine - still failed.
> >
> > Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
> > anti-virus/anti-spyware installed. Well, I just stopped the Anti-virus and
> > then stopped all the services related to it, hoping this would work.
> >
> > It didn't - now my Microsoft Security Essentials is gone (??) and
> > obviously
> > I had to activate Avast again.
> >
> > Any hint about:
> > - cause?
> > - solution?
> >
> > (Do I really need to uninstall Avast?)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> .

Uninstall Avast & reboot.

Do a clean install of MSE & reboot.

For further assistance, post in the appropriate MSE forum:

CarlosF wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> No, neither Norton or McFee, ever - only Avavst.
>
> And now, how do I recover/reinstall MSE back? It's not showing up in
> Windows
> Update anymore.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
>>> anti-virus/anti-spyware installed.
>>
>> There was a very prominent notice about this when you installed MSE.
>>
>>> Do I really need to uninstall Avast?
>>
>> Yes.  Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed & loading
>> at
>> boot!
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
>>
>> Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
>> anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
>> computer?
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> CarlosF wrote:
>>> Within the last week or so I got a new update for Microsoft Security
>>> Essentials, an upgrade package - KB2254596, I think.
>>>
>>> I've got a machine with WinXP+SP3 and I am also running:
>>> Avast Anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall.
>>>
>>> Now, the installation of the package failed (error 0x80070643:, I
>>> believe).
>>>
>>> I rebooted the machine - still failed.
>>>
>>> Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
>>> anti-virus/anti-spyware installed. Well, I just stopped the Anti-virus
>>> and
>>> then stopped all the services related to it, hoping this would work.
>>>
>>> It didn't - now my Microsoft Security Essentials is gone (??) and
>>> obviously
>>> I had to activate Avast again.
>>>
>>> Any hint about:
>>> - cause?
>>> - solution?
>>>
>>> (Do I really need to uninstall Avast?)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> .

0
PA
7/2/2010 6:14:01 AM
Many thanks PA Bear, I'll do that.

(Although the thought of being momentarily unprotected is a bit unsettling..)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall Avast & reboot.
>
> Do a clean install of MSE & reboot.
>
> For further assistance, post in the appropriate MSE forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
>

> CarlosF wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > No, neither Norton or McFee, ever - only Avavst.
> >
> > And now, how do I recover/reinstall MSE back? It's not showing up in
> > Windows
> > Update anymore.

> >> There was a very prominent notice about this when you installed MSE.

> >> Yes.  Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed & loading
> >> at
> >> boot!
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>
> >> Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
> >> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
> >>
> >> Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
> >> anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
> >> computer?
> >> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .
>
> .

Make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled & connect via a router, if
possible.

NB: You can download the installer for MSE while Avast is installed then go
offline to uninstall Avast & reboot.  But you must be online to be able to
install MSE (and Validate).

CarlosF wrote:
> Many thanks PA Bear, I'll do that.
>
> (Although the thought of being momentarily unprotected is a bit
> unsettling..)
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall Avast & reboot.
>>
>> Do a clean install of MSE & reboot.
>>
>> For further assistance, post in the appropriate MSE forum:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
>>

>> CarlosF wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> No, neither Norton or McFee, ever - only Avavst.
>>>
>>> And now, how do I recover/reinstall MSE back? It's not showing up in
>>> Windows
>>> Update anymore.

>> .

0
PA

Select SQL during installation
Hi Everybody, MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help. I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000 and Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003. (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT) The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another instance (SP3). When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL Server is installed (SBS). I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the instance of SQL Se...

GP10 Security
Hello, I have a few users with the poweruser role but do not want them customizing the system with modifier, VBA or extender. I am very cautious when it comes to customizations. All users will need the ability to access the completed customizations. What is the best way to handle this? Can I hide menu options? Thanks. Hi TT ok so there are a few things to look at here: 1) Powerusers have access to EVERYTHING. If you want to restric your users you need to give them different roles. 2) access to the modified version of the windows and reports is given through the Modified forms ...

Security Updates Fail to Install
The following Security Updates contine to fail to install. Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB960003) Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969613) Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB973704) Does anyone know how to fix this problem. tealeaf wrote: > The following Security Updates contine to fail to install. > > Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB960003) > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969613) > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB973704) > ...

Installation problem #5
My old Microsoft Publisher 98 CD will not install. Message says files may be corrupted. Help, please. ...

Password problem with Essentials
I started to create a new credit card account, found the proper institution, clicked next. I received the following message: >To get online updates from this bank or brokerage, you must change Money's settings to use a >Windows Live ID at sign-in and activate the MSN Money My Accounts service. >To change your settings so you can use online updates for this bank, click Next. I do not want to store my passwords at MSN in Live ID, but I don't seem to have any other choice. What am I misunderstanding, and what must I do now? Thank you for your attention T, t...

communication failure
I am receiving a Microsoft exchange directory ID: no: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM when trying to open an inbox. Make sure the Exchange services are started. ...

Social Security Numbers & Leading Zeros
I imported over 3000 records that are tied to social security numbers. The SS numbers come in as text and I need to change them to numbers. How do I do this and retain leading zeros? -- Thanks, CSS Wasn't aware that social security numbers could begin with a zero they must have changed things. In any case you want to use text for such identifying "numbers". The usual problem reported is with credit card numbers that are 16 digits and Excel only handles 15 significant digits so you must use TEXT or suffer the consequences of unbillable "numbers" since the last...

Run-time error in packaged version
I developed a database in Access 2003 and used Access 2007 developer tools to package an Access runtime version. I have used this in the past successfully but this time when testing the packaged version, I get "Execution of this applicatin has stopped due to a run-time error. The application can't contiune and will be shut down." This happens when trying to open to of the forms. The rest of the forms and reports seem to open fine. It's hard to test to thouroughly since the two forms that don't open are where most of the info is entered. Any help woul...

DHCP failure
Hi, Currently we have a DHCP service installed on a DC. This issues Ip's until 10.10.250.100 (from .1) I want to install DHCP service on another server that will issue Ip's from 10.10.240.101 to say 10.10.250.150. Is their anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks Hello biren, Assuming that the x.240.x.x is a typo, no. You have to make sure, as already done, that they didn't overlap or configure it according to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780311(WS.10).aspx Doesn't matter if you use 80/20 or 50/50. Best regards Meinolf Weber ...

Customer Source failure
Has anyone else had problems viewing the tax updates, service packs and just about everything else on CS? I have had a ticket open with MS for more that 2 weeks and they still cannot resolve the problem. They say they are aware of the problem, and even told me it was fixed once (it was not). I pay a fair amout of $ in maintenance not to be abe to access these documents and updates. Whats the deal? ...

Windows Vista/Windows XP Application Load Failure
Hello, I seem to be having an issue with Visual Studio 2005 Professional on Windows Vista Ultimate. It seems to me that whenever I build an MFC application (which contains several DLLs and an exe), the application runs beautifully on Windows Vista (e.g. my development machine). However, when I attempt to run it on Windows XP I essentially get a failure to load DLL/Merge Module issue. Upon inspection of the event viewer on XP I see the following error as being logged: Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The reference assembly is not installed o...

rules to move delivery receipts \ failure notifications
Hi, is it possible to move, redirect of autoforward delievery receipt emails? We have a custom app that sends out mail and all replies, including delivery receipts, undeliverables etc.. come back to an exchang inbox. The exchange inbox, needs to re-disperse the delivery reciepts or failuresin to a corresponding public folder. It seems that the delivery receipts in most cases come up as a different message class, (Report.IPM.Note.DR), others come up as regular messages (IPM.Note). It appears that rules don't work on the Report.IPM.Note.DR ones...Has anyone ever seen this or know...

CInternetSession Assertion Failure #2
Hi! I'm a biginner c++ programmer that needs help. Here is my code: #include <AfxInet.h> int main() { CInternetSession mySession; return 0; } This program compiles fine but ouputs the following output error: "Debug Assertion Failed! Program: C:\WebSearcher\Debug\play_around1.exe File: afxwin1.inl Line: 27 When I take a look at afxwin1.inl, the problem originates from the following lines: // Inlines for AFXWIN.H (part 1) #ifdef _AFXWIN_INLINE // Global helper functions _AFXWIN_INLINE LPCTSTR AFXAPI AfxGetAppName() { ASSERT(afxCurrentAppName != NULL); return afxCurr...

2003 publisher printer has not been installed system
2003 publisher, printer has not been installed system with Vista Basic. It can print anything but Publisher 2003 it keeps saying printer has not been installed system. ...

microsoft windows installer
hi what is microsoft windows installer On May 27, 6:12=A0pm, nicol <nicol.youn...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi > what is microsoft windows installer & how i could remove microsoft windows installer 3.1 ??????????? Why do you want to remove? It's needed to uninstall anything installed with it. -- ---- Craig Berntson Microsoft MVP "nicol" <nicol.young20@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ab488281-9f16-41de-bd85-58981b7af719@m33g2000vbi.googlegroups.com... > On May 27, 6:12 pm, nicol <nicol.youn...@gmail.com> wrote: >> hi >...

Is it possible to suppress the Security Warning Popup for Selected Excel Files
My diary is based in excel. It has Macros in it. Is it possible to disable the Security Warning Pop-up for that single excel file without disabling it for all other excel files. TIA Gerry. Gerry You can sign the workbook and get rid of the "enable macros" without changing security level to low. For the macros warning, if just for your own use on your computer, you can use the SelfCert tool to create a certificate that sets the macros in a workbook to "Trusted" and does not display the macros warning. Check out Help on Digital Signing and the the Self-Cert utili...

Login Failure
I use Microsoft Money 2000 and it has worked just fine from the beginning. The last couple days though I receive the following message as I try to log in. "Money is unable to verify your Online Sign In. Money will now log you in using Work Offline sign in." ETC. Naturally this offline login prevents me from using background banking and other features. I am using the "Passport" identification I've always used so ... what's the trick? This has worked for many -- Open Internet Explorer and delete all temporary files and cookies. This doesn't ap...

2003 install to win 7 64 bit error
Trying to install office 2003 to Windows 7 64 bit machine. It starts, gets to "Waiting for cabinets to be cached to local installation source" Then announces it can't find MO56105.cab. However MO56105.cab is right there where it should be. No amount of dinging around can make the installer see it. Very frustrating. I've used this disk before with no problems. Is it a 64 bit thing? A windows 7 thing? Thanks John ...

Archiving Failure
As of the end of December, 2003, I can no longer archive my calendar entries. I maintain one year of data in my Personal Folders and monthly archive all data over one year old. This has worked for me since I first set up Office XP when it was first released. Now, it appears to be working and the "Archiving" message appears in the bottom right of the window, but nothing is archived. The old data is not removed from the Calendar folder nor is it added in the Archive Calendar folder. Is there a limit to how much data can be maintained in the Archive or is there another problem...

File Transfer Add In Failure
when I use the Client Access file transfer Add In, Excel gives me the error message: " Macro fShowTTODialog cannot be found" How do I fix please ? As in "client access", or Microsoft Access (the database program)? If you don't mean MS Access, is this a different program? On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:52:20 -0700, "Paul Wyatt" <Paul_Wyatt@Moores.co.uk> wrote: >when I use the Client Access file transfer Add In, Excel >gives me the error message: >" Macro fShowTTODialog cannot be found" >How do I fix please ? This might be it: http:...

Unwanted Money 2002 install
I keep getting a Money 2002 install utility popping up....and I can't get it to close or stop trying to install! Whenever I hit "cancel" it just pops right back. I suspect I've picked up some virus or trojan, but I've run anti-virus (McAfee) and spyware (Microsoft Antispyware) software with the latest updates, but nothing seems to be catching it. I've also downloaded the latest Windows updates. I'd appreciate ANY ideas on how I could get this to stop! PLEASE email me at heresharry(removethis)@juno.com. THANK YOU! ...

After a power failure I lost all my info in outlook
I rebooted after a power failure and my inbox, Calendar, Tasks and contacts have all disappeared. Where are they? They're stored in a file with a .PST extension. Search your hard drive for all .PST files and make sure you search in hidden and system folders if you use Windows 2000 or XP. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:%23xn8k9K3EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, singapore tom wrote: > I rebooted after a power failure and my inbox, Cal...

Exchange 2003 security
How do I make sure no one is using my exchange 2003 server to relay spam? Also, what secruity issues should I be looking for? Thank you.. "Mike K" <Mark@noEmail.com> wrote in news:#tuJxmHAEHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl: > How do I make sure no one is using my exchange 2003 server to relay > spam? Also, what secruity issues should I be looking for? Thank you.. If you haven't messed with the default settings your server is locked against unauthorized relaying. Is your exchange server directly connected to the internet? If so you might consider a infrastructure cha...

Outlook 2007 client for Vista doesn't install
I am having trouble getting the Outlook 2007 client (online only) for Vista to install. During installation, the verification step says that there is a pending computer restart. I'm sure that this is not the case, since I had not installed any software or updates since last restarting. Should I perhaps restart immediately prior to installing the client? And after the installation is complete? I did neither and just started Outlook. A dialog appearing saying that there is an error loading CRM functionality and to try restarting Outlook. I did that twice and the same error occu...

OWA login failure / Outlook log on failure
After three prompts... HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized Only two users cannot access their mail through OWA. The other 50+ are ok. yes, I just created a new account and I can access it remotely (first I had to log into the mailbox once using Outlook, but then it worked). (Why do I get 3 lines (User Name, Password, Domain) when I access the OWA from some places and only 2 lines (User Name, Password) from others. I have tried username@company.local and company\username and neither works for these 3 accounts. I am getting a success audit in the security log for Successful Network Logon. Noth...