Computer becomes unresponsive after installing updates.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been
having.

I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the
computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx
65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence
updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open
IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to
shutdown.

After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via
IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0xD0000005".

Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what I could do
to remedy this situaiton? I suppose I could just omit those two updates
and let the rest download, but I don't understand why the computer
reacts the way it does after downloading those two updates.

I'm using WindowsXPPro SP2 using Automatic Updates.

--
Spindle

Spindle

"Spindle" <Spindle.446yo4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been
> having.
>
> I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the
> computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx
> 65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence
> updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open
> IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to
> shutdown.
>
> After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via
> IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0xD0000005".
>
> Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what I could do
> to remedy this situaiton? I suppose I could just omit those two updates
> and let the rest download, but I don't understand why the computer
> reacts the way it does after downloading those two updates.
>
> I'm using WindowsXPPro SP2 using Automatic Updates.
>

> --
> Spindle

On searching the web, I found:
Problem: Error 0xd0000005 is caused by missing system files or broken system
registry structures. This is a critical sign of an unstable system that is
typically caused by improper maintenance of the computer.

Symptoms: Error 0xd0000005 symptoms can include program lock-ups, slow PC
performance, system freezes, shut down and startup problems, and
installation errors.

For more info:  Search for "Are you having trouble with Error 0xd00000005".
There is a repair tool available, but since I have never needed it, I cannot
vouch for its success.

Jim

0
Jim
1/3/2010 2:46:13 AM
Search the internet for Error Code: 0xD0000005".  The site
Error-Repair-Help.com/0xd0000005 has a fix.
Jim

"Spindle" <Spindle.446yo4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been
> having.
>
> I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the
> computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx
> 65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence
> updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open
> IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to
> shutdown.
>
> After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via
> IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0xD0000005".
>
> Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what I could do
> to remedy this situaiton? I suppose I could just omit those two updates
> and let the rest download, but I don't understand why the computer
> reacts the way it does after downloading those two updates.
>
> I'm using WindowsXPPro SP2 using Automatic Updates.
>

> --
> Spindle

Jim
1/3/2010 2:51:11 AM
Run this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working and a new
Validation tool
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

"Spindle" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been
> having.
>
> I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the
> computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx
> 65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence
> updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open
> IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to
> shutdown.
>
> After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via
> IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0xD0000005".
>
> Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what I could do
> to remedy this situaiton? I suppose I could just omit those two updates
> and let the rest download, but I don't understand why the computer
> reacts the way it does after downloading those two updates.
>
> I'm using WindowsXPPro SP2 using Automatic Updates.
>

> --
> Spindle
>
> .

Why were you 62 updates behind?  Why didn't you install SP3 first?

Spindle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been
> having.
>
> I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the
> computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx
> 65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence
> updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open
> IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to
> shutdown.
>
> After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via
> IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0xD0000005".
>
> Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what I could do
> to remedy this situaiton? I suppose I could just omit those two updates
> and let the rest download, but I don't understand why the computer
> reacts the way it does after downloading those two updates.
>
> I'm using WindowsXPPro SP2 using Automatic Updates.
0
PA

Can't send or receive e-mails from "client" network computers
I have a small peer-to-peer network of three computers, and use MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) as my e-mail program. All computers are XP (SP2). I've recently had to reinstall my setup following a system glitch on the host machine. Everything is fine, except for one thing. I can neither send nor receive e-mails from the two client machines. I can access the central address books, Personal Folders etc. without any problem; just can't actually send or receive via the client computers. If I try to send or receive from the clients, after a few moments searching I get "The POP3 /...

reinstall to new computer probs
After experiencing many probs with new Publisher 2002 bought new computer and need to reinstall. Know need new number to reactivate but can't find how to contact microsoft. Spent whole morning at site going thru hoops only to be rejected for both online and phone help. Have proper product key & id numbers. Please give contact info. NOT general ref to microsoft .com---have already wasted hours in that morass. j.east@att.net In the activation window there is a phone number... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.ht...

Money2007 trial--update problem
Every time I open the trial version of 07, it tells me it needs a software update. Fine. I close money, it downloads and begins to install the new files (with a pretty long hang). Then, around 99% completion, I get an error that it cannot complete the install because I don't have enough memory or my internet conx is bad. Both cases not true. I use norton firewall, and disabling/unistalling using msconfig does not help. My IE6 settings for Intranet are at default. Trial version number is 16.0.10.705. I am SOOO reluctant to purchase, as I am having multiple crash scenarios, which...

moving administrative installation of MS Office 2000
please help someone ! we have one server with existing administrative installation on it for Office 2000 CD1 and 2 in same folder \\%servername%\office$\data1.msi and \\%servername%\office$\data2.msi Visio 2000 in different folder \\%servername%\office$\visio\??.msi Project 2000 in different folder \\%servername%\office$\project\??.msi now we have for reformat and installed the new server with different name and in the same operation we would like to split installation for cd1 and cd2 in 2 differents folders like for other (visio and project). How can I do it with at least administrative m...

Computer replacement
We have three computers networked, using RMS, running XP Pro. The front computer is our main POS terminal and it also hosts the RMS database. We point the other two computers to this one for all reports and receipts. I'm going to swap out this main computer with a newer machine (also running XP Pro). Any pointers for how this computer should be set up so we don't have to re-do all of the receipt and report pointing and networking from the other two computers? If I give the new computer the exact same name and register number as the one it's replacing and if I plug it in...

Currency Exchange rates do not update!
Following the last M05 major update, I noticed that the currency echange rates do NOT update online (automatically) anymore. If one goes onto settings / currencies, their is a check box for online update - but it does not seem to work. Any advice? ...

Forgot my computer administrator password
As a result of the above i cannot change any settings or basically do anything with my computer, also as a result of the above i think my computer has been comprimised by another person somwhere. Google or Bing for Windows Password Recovery Tool. There is no shortage of options. Some may require you to have another PC on which you can create a Linux boot CD. from an iso image. "Giganticpull" <Giganticpull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80C82913-CC83-4E7E-854D-5C465012B97A@microsoft.com... > As a result of the above i cannot change any settin...

Transferring a file between computers
When copying a workbook file (with 2 worksheets) to a floppy or zip drive, and then transferring to a different machine and pasting the workbook file, one of the worksheets (sheet 2) comes up missing. Anybody ever have this happen? I've never seen excel do anything like this. I'd double check my work--make sure I'm sending the correct file, saving the correct file, and opening the correct file. Brent wrote: > > When copying a workbook file (with 2 worksheets) to a > floppy or zip drive, and then transferring to a different > machine and pasting the workbook f...

check Exchange installation / Organization INTEGRITY
We tried to remove our test exchange organization by launching "setup /removeorg". Few seconds after, the setup reports: === Setup failed while installing sub-component Microsoft Exchange Organization-Level Container Object with error code 0xC1037AE6 (please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again. (RETRY, CANCEL) === After retrying a couple of times - we were forced to cancel - interrupting the uninstallation process. Now we found out that we _don�t_ want to remove the organization anymore - bu...

Computing Payroll Hours
I am using Excel 97, and would like to know how I can total payroll hours daily, for my employees. Each day they punch in in the morning then out for lunch....then again punch in after lunch and finally out at the end of the day.... as you can tell I am not very good in Excel. Any help will be appreciated... thanks,,,,, Herbie if the times are in A1, B1, C1, D1 respectively and the hourly rate is in E1, in F1 you can put =(B1-A1+D1-C1)*24*E1 then you can sum column E Time is stored as a fraction of a day. So multiplying by 24 converts the time values to decimal hours. assume ...

Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer?
Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer so you don't have to re-creat them? Custom Quick Style sets are stored as *.dotx files in the %appdata%\Microsoft\QuickStyles folder. Just make a copy of the file and paste it into that same location on the other computer. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Joe" wrote: > Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer so you don't > have to re-creat them? ...

debug on client's computer ?
I have a VC++ application that just crashes on one tester/client's machine. It runs fine everywhere else. What are the other options to debug (on the client's machine) without installing VC++ (on the clinet's machine)? Is this possible at all? Thanks. WJ I'm not that good at stuff like that, but maybe Remote debugging: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y7f5zaaa.aspx AliR. "WJ" <WJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3BB479-7517-44F5-9BF2-3A0B4FD32A6F@microsoft.com... >I have a VC++ application that just crashes on one tester/...

outlook copy to new computer
I need help in copying my Microsoft Outlook info to a new computer. ...

Installing Windows Service Pack 3 without a Windows CD
I can't find my CDs from my computer - so it won't let me install Service Pack 3 without them. Is this a problem for me? Will my CD run properly without the Pack 3? What do I do about 'getting personal copies of my dell window's package' from my purchase of my desktop CPU? Does anyone have a copy that I can use if that is possible? AND Can I just download it from someone? I am so stressed out with this. CAN ANYONE ANSWER ME? "Charzone" <Charzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECCD915B-A8D0-4EA9-9284-8259560D91EA@microsoft.co...

Microsoft Installer
Recently I installed an HP OfficeJet j4550 and later wanted to replace it with a PSC AIO 2400xi, so I uninstalled the J4550. I first used the install disk uninstall. The 2400xi would not install and failed. So I used HP's All In One Removal utility. Ran it four times and tried to install it again. Long story short I did this many times and now when I click on Windows Exploerer, Control Panel, My Computer, My Networks, and My Documents, I receive a Windows Installer for SmartWebPrintingOC asking for disk 1. If I hit cancel two or three time the application will run. I did ...

Entourage database failure after 10.6.3 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I ran the new Snow Leopard Update 10.6.3 (from 10.6.2) and now every time I power on, I get an error message telling me the MS Office database daemon has a problem and do I want to close / restart. I've rebooted / retried, rebuilt the database, but it just sits there and repeats every couple of seconds. Anyone else seen this? On Mar 31, 2:02=A0pm, priusg...@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: I= ntel Email Client: E...

CRM Install Error-SQL Reporting
I have an SBS 2003 Prem. Server, not R2, on which I'm trying to install MS CRM 3. This server has the Autodesk Vault installed on it which runs on SQL 2005 Workgroup (w/ reporting services). When I try to install MS CRM 3, I get an error stating that it is not compatible with SQL 2005 reporting services. I have tried to install SQL 2000 reporting services but the installation errors out. Any suggestions? MikeMc When using SQL Server 2005 you have to install SSRS before installing MSCRM 3.0. SSRS needs to be installed and configured so that ReportServer is accessiable. -- Rg...

Securing Web Access on Public Computer
Good Morning! What do I need to tell my employees to check for in order to insure their username and password are not being stored when they check their emails via Web Access on a public computer? All help would be greatly appreciated! TIA Ken Ken Klingensmith <kwkling@go2heaven.com> wrote: > Good Morning! > >What do I need to tell my employees to check for in order to insure their >username and password are not being stored when they check their emails via >Web Access on a public computer? All help would be greatly appreciated! > >TIA > >Ken I...

How do I complete installation of Publisher 2003
I cannot complete installation of Publisher 2003, I found the wizard that allows you to complete the install but it took me to registration. I did that but Publisher does not show up as a program. Are you getting an error? Locate missing .msi files http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011185721033.aspx Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Designs" <Designs@discussions.microsoft.com>...

playing music from my old computer
I blew my old dell and got a new laptop. A friend loaded all my harddrive into the new one. I went to play my old music and a popup comes up saying I need the windows media plug in for netscape navigator. When I go to microsoft to down load the software an error comes up. I need idiot instructions on how to download a plug in or whatever I need to be able to play my stuff. Ive got over 200 cd's on there, so its not going to be so easy to reload. I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks. On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:59:01 -0800, mr.spotts <mr.spotts@discussions....

Display From Computer to TV
I connected my computer to my TV using a VGA cable. How do I set it up in Vista Home Premium? Thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt C and A Bredt wrote: > I connected my computer to my TV using a VGA cable. > > How do I set it up in Vista Home Premium? > Thanks, CB > First hit on Google: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Connect-your-computer-to-a-TV Bill "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:O1cCh%23BhKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >C and A Bredt wrote: >> I connected my computer to my TV usi...

Update report 03-29-07
I want to make change to the report design, but the database is already issued to the group, every time I open the report in design view, it tells me: I don't have the exclusive access to the database at this time, I may not be able to save them. What should I do if I want to make the change to the database. Thank you!!! Based on the message, I'm guessing that your database is but a single copy, shared by all users. This design can result in higher risk of corruption, and it makes it more difficult to do things like, say, update a report design! The preferred design is to us...

Update table from query
I have a query that converts dates that were brought in from a txt file. I am using IIF(IsDate(Format([TheField],"@@@@-@@-@@")),CDate(Format([TheField],"@@@@-@@-@@")),Null) and now have the query with the dates correct. How do I go about replacing the new dates in the proper fields? Have you looked into Access HELP on "update queries"? By the way, update queries modify data ... before you start, BACKUP! Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Ment...

office 2010 install problem
keep getting a error 1310 verify you have access to that directory i am the only user "lewisvdw" <lewisvdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8E9E1B1-494D-4CB9-B0D4-A6394FD506DE@microsoft.com... > keep getting a error 1310 verify you have access to that directory > > i am the only user For all Office 2010 beta issues, please post to the forums you were advised of when you downloaded the install for the beta programs. That way Microsoft will be able to spot potentially troublesome problems and correct them prior to rele...

Updating cell references
HI all, I a have a range of cells that have reference to other cells Eg. a1 b1 c1 a2 b2 c2 Is there a quick way to change the refernces to the following a8 b8 c8 a9 b9 c9 ie, increasing the row value in the reference by 7. Cheers Sha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In A1:C2 enter: =INDIRECT("F"&$D1) =INDIRECT("G"&$D1) =INDIRECT("H"&$D1) =INDIRECT("F"&$D1+1) =INDIRECT("g"&$D1+1) =INDIRECT("H"&$D1+1) In D1 enter either value of 1 or 9 Fill F1:H2 and F9:H10 with desi...