Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
including the updates that go with them? ..

Hello sherlockomes,

you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
with the error 80070643.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
-=-

Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
after doing so:

How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

    How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

    1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

sherlockomes wrote:
> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

0
PA
6/8/2010 9:54:07 PM
Thanks for info..Followed link and used repair tool for .NET Framework then
tried to re-install update with no success.I took a chance and just
un-installed the .NET 1.1 framework from add/remove programmes which also
removed all the previous 1.1 Framework fixes with it.I then re-installed it
via wndows updates with success.I restarted computer and then checked for
windows updates as normal which included KB979906 and it installed perfectly
without any errors.The earlier hotfixes did not appear as necessary updates
so i  can only imagine they are now no longer required as KB979906 perhaps
incorporates all necessary fixes but i am only guessing.
  Luckily i did not have to uninstall all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
3.5 and reinstall them which would be a long process but the quick
alternative worked ok for me (so far)....

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello sherlockomes,
>
> you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
> with the error 80070643.
>
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
> -=-
>
> Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ©¿©¬
> -=-
>
> "sherlockomes" wrote:
>
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> > having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> > including the updates that go with them? ..
Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2 people .Net
not working.

It seems these two are causing the problems:

KB979909
KB982168

We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
what's going on.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
> after doing so:
>
> How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187
>
> If no joy, see...
>
> When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
> receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>
> Then proceed per the following:
>
> =====================
>
> Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
> versions are currently installed:
>
>     How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>
> After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
> Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
> you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
> then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.
>
> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
> Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
> Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>
> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
> Framework versions in the following order:
>
>     1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
>     2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>     3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>
> NB: KB923100 references this page:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
> ALL of it as well as the related page
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>
> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
> updates offered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> sherlockomes wrote:
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> > without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> > 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..
>
> .

What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2 computers.
Who knows why but only you can fix it.

See my previous reply or...

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

TruckerHarley wrote:
> [...]
>> read
>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>
>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
>> updates offered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> sherlockomes wrote:
>>> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
>>> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
>>> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it
>>> safe
>>> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
>>> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3
>>> and
>>> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

0
PA
6/9/2010 4:05:36 PM
It's .net.  They barf.  Their "servicing" process sucks.  There's no way
to predict what machines may have patching issues or not.  You just have
to be ready when .NET has updates.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling
>>> .NET Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0
>>> SP2;
>>> then Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your
>>> .NET
>>> Framework versions in the following order:
>>>
>>>     1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
>>>     2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>>>     3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>>>
>>> NB: KB923100 references this page:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.
>>> Please read
>>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>>
>>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security

0
Susan
6/9/2010 6:11:44 PM
No need to preach to the bass section of the choir, m'dear...

Susan Bradley wrote:
> It's .net.  They barf.  Their "servicing" process sucks.  There's no way
> to predict what machines may have patching issues or not.  You just have
> to be ready when .NET has updates.
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2
>> computers. Who knows why but only you can fix it.
>>
>> See my previous reply or...
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909
>>
>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
>> 1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or
>> 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
>> your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls
>> that are associated with security updates.  When you call, clearly
>> state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
>> update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).
>>
>> Or you can...
>>
>> Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>>
>> Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates
>> also can visit the following page for assistance:
>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
>> Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>>

>> TruckerHarley wrote:
>>> Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2
>>> people .Net
>>> not working.
>>>
>>> It seems these two are causing the problems:
>>>
>>> KB979909
>>> KB982168
>>>
>>> We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
>>> what's going on.

0
PA
6/9/2010 11:20:31 PM
Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
Mike

On 2010-06-10 11:53 a.m., unclemikenebr wrote:

> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?

  ... I wasn't aware that anybody had. :-)

   Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed

unclemikenebr wrote:
> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
<snip>

0
PA
6/10/2010 12:45:07 AM
Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).

It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.

As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE of
these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
the first place!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Same problem here on my PC.  The MS TS email response I got was (basically
the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
those who come after):

The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time,
please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

 Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool

================================

1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
[Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]

 2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link
to the local Desktop and extract it.

3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.

4. Please follow the instructions given.

In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
versions".

5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.

6. Restart the computer.

 After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

Please download and install the following updates in order.

 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

 Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all
the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

R. Melville wrote:
> Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
> have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).
>
> It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.
>
> As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
> the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE of
> these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
> information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
> the first place!

Programs and applications that were installed by the OEM or you have
installed require the .NET Framework in order for them to function.
ATI's Catalyst Control Center and Quicken are 2 such apps/programs
amongst many others.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
6/10/2010 5:45:00 PM
That fix method will only make matters worse if .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is
installed & removed!

remdds wrote:
> Same problem here on my PC.  The MS TS email response I got was (basically
> the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
> those who come after):
>

> The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this
> time,
> please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
>
> Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool
>
> ================================
>
> 1. Please download the tool from the following link:
>
> http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
> [Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
> company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
> otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]
>
> 2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above
> link
> to the local Desktop and extract it.
>
> 3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
>
> 4. Please follow the instructions given.
>
> In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
> versions".
>
> 5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
>
> 6. Restart the computer.
>
> After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
> to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.
>

> Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

> Please download and install the following updates in order.
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
> 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe
>
> Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
> follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading
> all
> the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

0
PA
6/10/2010 5:58:25 PM
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

R. Melville wrote:
> Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first
> time
> I have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).
>
> It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.
>
> As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed
> that
> the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE
> of these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
> information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
> the first place!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

0
PA
6/10/2010 5:58:39 PM
Had to run this same scenario last October for KB953297. It gets irritating
to have to run this time consuming fix again in less than 1 year. Would like
to underline the word irritating.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Another county heard from...]
>
> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>

> unclemikenebr wrote:
> > Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
> <snip>
>
> .

I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.

We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
install those two patches!!

A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...

J:confused:

--
j_65_uk

j_65_uk
6/10/2010 8:34:34 PM
 Hi j: I started this thread looking for an answer and although i recommend
PA BEAR [MS MVP]'s solution of complete removal and intallation of all the
..NET Frameworks in correct prescibed order as being safest method, i took a
risky shortcut (as i always do) and just uninstalled the .NET 1.1 Framework
alone and then just reinstalled it again as i am a bit lazy.I was very
pleased when i checked for updates the problem KB979906 was there and
installed perfectly without a hitch.I have had no problems since then
(although it is early days). I think the problem is that the .NET 1.1
Framework has become corrupt with all the fixes and patches so a simple
re-installation does the trick.
 I hope you could maybe try this as an option for all your computers but
don't blame me if it is unsuccessful. I am practical but no computer buff. It
is worth a try though if your only other alternative is complete removal /
re-installation of all .NETs. on all 200 machines. cheers S...omes

"j_65_uk" wrote:

> I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
> Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
> kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.
>
> We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
> install those two patches!!
>
> A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
> frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...
>
> J:confused:
>

> --
> j_65_uk
>
> .

I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less than
two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this corruption - the
only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall everything...

I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because it's
the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there just
a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?
@PA Bear,
That was an AT&T vulnerability, not an Apple vulnerability as originally
reported.

@Harry,
Yeah, people are switching - or simply buying Macs to begin with -
especially students.  I run Hackintosh on all my home PCs for better
performance than I can get with Windows 7.

I'm also having the problem described in this thread, and as of Patch
Tuesday, I now have three patches backed up that won't install on one of my
servers.  Thanks to all who've posted here.
-Katapaltes

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Another county heard from...]
>
> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>

> unclemikenebr wrote:
> > Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
> <snip>
>
> .

If the shoe fits, ...

Katapaltes wrote:
> @PA Bear,
> That was an AT&T vulnerability, not an Apple vulnerability as originally
> reported.
>
> @Harry,
> Yeah, people are switching - or simply buying Macs to begin with -
> especially students.  I run Hackintosh on all my home PCs for better
> performance than I can get with Windows 7.
>
> I'm also having the problem described in this thread, and as of Patch
> Tuesday, I now have three patches backed up that won't install on one of
> my
> servers.  Thanks to all who've posted here.
> -Katapaltes
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Another county heard from...]
>>
>> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
>> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>>

>> unclemikenebr wrote:
>>> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
>>> <snip>
>>
>> .

0
PA
6/11/2010 9:33:00 PM
What solution?  Without quoting the post you're replying to, who knows what
your talking about?

Tiletron wrote:
> I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less
> than two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this corruption
> - the only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall
> everything...
>
> I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because
> it's
> the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there
> just a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?

0
PA
6/11/2010 9:33:34 PM
The HoopleHeads are on the loose!

: What solution?  Without quoting the post you're replying to, who knows
what
: your talking about?
:
:
: Tiletron wrote:
: > I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less
: > than two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this
corruption
: > - the only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall
: > everything...
: >
: > I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because
: > it's
: > the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there
: > just a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?
:

0
Bickford
6/11/2010 9:52:39 PM
Ok, I am going to post this alternative in hopes that it works for someone
else:
Download the manual install file from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5e55ee58-f00a-4237-bddc-492b63a18b96
Save the file then shutdown all programs (IM Programs like MSN and Yahoo,
Outlook, etc) that access the internet. Next turn off ALL internet
communications and disable the wi-fi.
Run the downloaded program and it should install without incident.
Worked for me & I didn't have to reinstall the .NET framework.

(I hope this solves the problem, I can not begin to say how much all of you
have helped me in the past, so this is me trying to give a little back)

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
Hei
jeg har det samme probleme

"Sherlockomes" skrev:

> Kjører: Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
> Har forsøkt installere KB979906 et par ganger og også ned oppdatering
> Manuelt, men ikke kan installere denne oppdateringen. Motta feilen 0x643.Is det trygt å
> Avinstallere. NET Framework 1.1 og re-installer som muligens korrupt, uten
> Å måtte avinstallere / re-installere alle andre. NET rammeverk 2, 3 og 3,5
> Inkludert oppdateringer som går med dem? ..
Here's what works for me, and how I got there. Note that I'm a mac user, and
don't have the patience for the long drawn up fixes.

A long time ago, I ran into a similar problem. An old version of Norton
Utilities found a several missing files in the .Net installations. I copied
these files from backups, ran the updaters, and everything seemed to work. I
also saved a copy of the missing files in case the problem recurred. It did.

This time around, here's what was missing from my installation:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\_dataperfcounters.h

In the past, other files that have disappeared include
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CORPerfMonSymbols.h

After copying these files over, I ran Windows update, and the patch worked
this time.

Your results may vary.

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
I'm using XP Pro SP3.  I've got the same KB979906 won't install problem.
I've downloaded a copy of the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 file, dotnetfx.exe.
If I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 using the Add or Remove Programs function
in Control Panel, and then run this dotnetfx.exe file, is that what you are
describing you have done that worked?
Thanks for your help.

"sherlockomes" wrote:

>  Hi j: I started this thread looking for an answer and although i recommend
> PA BEAR [MS MVP]'s solution of complete removal and intallation of all the
> .NET Frameworks in correct prescibed order as being safest method, i took a
> risky shortcut (as i always do) and just uninstalled the .NET 1.1 Framework
> alone and then just reinstalled it again as i am a bit lazy.I was very
> pleased when i checked for updates the problem KB979906 was there and
> installed perfectly without a hitch.I have had no problems since then
> (although it is early days). I think the problem is that the .NET 1.1
> Framework has become corrupt with all the fixes and patches so a simple
> re-installation does the trick.
>  I hope you could maybe try this as an option for all your computers but
> don't blame me if it is unsuccessful. I am practical but no computer buff. It
> is worth a try though if your only other alternative is complete removal /
> re-installation of all .NETs. on all 200 machines. cheers S...omes
>
> "j_65_uk" wrote:
>

> > I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
> > Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
> > kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.
> >
> > We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
> > install those two patches!!
> >
> > A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
> > frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...
> >
> > J:confused:
> >

> > --
> > j_65_uk
> >
> > .

Client for Outlook Install problem
I am attempting to reinstall the Client for Outlook, as the original install was bugged. (For some reason the CRM Appointment screen would not load from the toolbar) Upon reinstalling and opening Outlook 2003, it tells me that there was an error loading the CRM forms. Additionally, by Event Log is referencing the COM+ Event System detecting a corrupt IEventSubscription object and has removed it. The timing seems to be related to the install itself. Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks other than using a hammer, try uninstalling completly (ie uninstall CRM for Outlook, and S...

I can't install office it says the setup file is already running
I can't install office it says the setup file is already running. I installed office on my system a few weeks ago. now I get the error message, that says I should upgrade to SP2. But I thought I was running that and I have never had that message before on any system I have installed it on. Can someone tell me wat I am to do. So what happens if you run MS Update & install Critical updates? "Bighammo" <Bighammo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6F30ADA-FA05-4A1F-83C7-4056D65971DB@microsoft.com... >I can't install office it says t...

Trouble Setting Up Accounts for Online Updates
Hello! Has anyone else been having problems getting online updates on their existing accounts and/or setting up new accounts for online updates? I've been getting "Updates are temporarily unavailable" and "Account setup temporarily unavailable" messages for their respective cases for more than 19 hours now. - Clay It would be useful if you would indicate which version of the program you're using and in which country you're in. There IS a problem with downloading stock quotes from the Canadian quote server right now, using the Canadian versions of Quic...

moving from 1 server to another
I have a new exchange server 2003, I will be transfering data from my old 5.5 server. How do I set my 5.5 server not to accept any messages while I am doing the transfer? "Gonzosez" <tbyam@hinklemfgNS.com> wrote in news:OT4#GI5gEHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl: > I have a new exchange server 2003, I will be transfering data from my > old 5.5 server. > How do I set my 5.5 server not to accept any messages while I am doing > the transfer? I'm not exactly sure how you have it set up without more detailed information. You could disable the IMC while you transfer...

Money not updating online
It seems that Money goes to www.spcomstock.com to get quote updates (look in my information sheet) ... however that site has change to www.comstock- interactivedata.com. Now online updating in Money doesn't work ... at least mine doesn't. Try to go to the www.spcomstock.com and you'll time out with an error. I don't see any way to change how money accesses the web site. Thoughts .... am I off base. Have read other notes on the subject and suggestions around firewalls etc. I haven't changed mine, but just in case turned it off and still money won't update....

Can't install Microsoft office small bus. ed. 2003 on new computer
My computer quit last week, so bought a new one. My old computer had Windows XP and my new one has Windows 7. My old computer had Works 8 on it and then the Office Small Business Edition 2003 upgrade. Tried to install these two on my new computer, Works installed ok but have had trouble with the Office. I first thought it had to do with it being Windows 7, but from what I've read that shouldn't be a problem. There was also a trial version of office 2007 on my new computer and I thought that maybe was a problem. I had trouble uninstalling that, but finally got it done. N...

UPDATE RM20101 on posting SOP invoice
Hi, I am wanting to have the RM20101 Description field be updated with the SOP10100.refrence field when the SOP invoice\return is posted. Currently the description field gets populated with the SOPNumber. A combination of batch and transaction posting is used, and when whatever is done - I only want it done for the current set of SOP docs that are being posted. Please advise the best way (and steps or script if possible) this can be done - without Dexterity: 1) VBA (maybe on the SOP Posting Journal) 2) Trigger on the RM20101 3) SQL Job 4) Anything else that I have not listed Thank you ...

Help
CRM 3.0 refuses to install on my SBS 2003 R2 premium server. I was encountering the known issues with CRM 3 on SBS R2 using the CDs that came in the Action Pack subscription so I downloaded the updated CRM CDs from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69ad-422d-92fa-87fdb2538e2c&DisplayLang=en This copy gave me a different set of problems. The default setup mode pops up a couple errors. The first one is the lack of full text search so I installed that and ran the setup again. The next error was: "The edition 'Workgroup Edition' of the specified SQL...

12.1.1 Updare
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Do you have to install SP1 in order to install the latest update? I re-installed office + 1st update but did not install SP1 after all the problems. None of the 'fix' suggestions worked for me. "mortfe@officeformac.com" wrote: > > Do you have to install SP1 in order to install the latest update? I > re-installed office + 1st update but did not install SP1 after all the > problems. None of the 'fix' suggestions worked for me. Yes, it's a requirement for 12.1.1. -- Diane ...

Cannot send updates for existing reoccurring meetings
Hello All, Some users I support are having an issue when attempting to change, then send out an update on existing reoccurring meetings in their managers calendar. Currently we are running in a AD domain with Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 as the client. What's happening is this: When the original reoccurring meeting was created it was done by a user who rights were not correct for that calendar. Now that these rights have been modified to be correct the reoccurring meeting does not allow an update to be sent such as a date change or time change. When this is attempted the "Cl...

Error After installing SFO
Hi, I got errors as following: Fatal execution engine error ( XXX) outlook exe - common language runtime debugging services Process id : XXX This error occured after i installed SFO. Current version of my outlook is Outlook 2002 with SP 2. Symptom that i noticed was when starting my outlook, the SFO toolbar was missing. When performing workaround by adding the toolbar as mentioned in KB 829450, the toolbar is existed. However the outlook become not responding. How to solve this issue?? Thanks Carrie Has anyone experienced the same problem?? I finally reinstalled the SFO. However, th...

location of MFC71*.dlls when installing a program ?
My program consists of only a single .EXE, with dependencies on MFC71*.dlls. Isn't it correct that I should install the MFC71*.dlls in the SAME directory as my .EXE, instead of installing them in WINNT/SYSTEM32 ? I believe I read that this is the 'common practice'. If this is correct, then why ? Thanks so much !! That is correct. If you put it into the system folder, you could overwrite a different version the same library causing other clients of it to stop working (although I think the current versions on Windows do not allow to copy anything into the system folder). ...

Installation Problem
Hello, I am a licensed user of publisher97; lost my cd install key and just have the media. I also have the product ID; but when I go to submit a support incident it says that I've used all my support incidents up for that product. I've never called on that product before. Anyone know a way I can get my install key back from microsoft? My HDD died and I had to reformat, this is why I am reinstalling. Thanks Brian What kind of support do you need? If I remember correctly, the product ID is all you need to install. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://dgl.microsoft.com/ http://mvp...

ASP.NET Performance Counters
I'd like to monitor and get a baseline of some counters before we add more consumers to our ASP.NET 3.5 IIS 6.0 server. Can anyone tell me the difference between ASP.NET, ASP.NET Applications and ASP.NET v2.0.50727? Thanks Alex ...

Reports CRM 1.2
I have a new install of CRM 1.2 on a windows 200 advanced server and have not been able to display reports through either the outlook client or IE6 I get an error that reads "An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator" Try Again or Cancel. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Can you access Microsoft CRM at all? Have you added a CRM license to your Microsoft CRM administator. Also check the crystal services are runnin on the Microsoft CRM web server -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Communi...

auto numbering 1,2,3,.....
Hi see you other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:30C9E412-FF9E-4205-B800-461CD7B89EB8@microsoft.com... > Maybe you are trying to Autonumber the rows in Excel. here is the solution: In cell A1 type 1. In cell A2 type 2. Select both cells with the mouse. In cell A2 there is a thick square in the bottom left corner. Click it, hold the left mouse button and pull down. Now you see a yellow boxes showing the numbers - 2, 3, 4... and so on. If you need the numbers from 1 to 10, release ...

Net Framework 08-31-10
I am having a problem with the Windows update sight in that it continually wants to download updates for Net framework. It has already succuesfully downloaded them several times but continues to tell me they need to be downloaded. Update site shows succuesful downloads no failures. I have deleted all versions of NF and redownloaded. Apart from "hiding" these updates any ideas ? BC wrote: > I am having a problem with the Windows update sight in that it continually > wants to download updates for Net framework. It has already succuesfully > downloaded them severa...

Installing Office 2007 over Office 2000
Hi My computer came with Office 2000 pre-installed several years ago. (I don't have a disc for it). I now have just recently purchased a complete version (not an upgrade) of Office Home and Student 2007. What I would like to know is, is it a simple matter just to install Office 2007, and the installation "Wizard" will do what is necessary or, do I need to uninstall any part of 2000 for it to perform correctly? I have searched other questions about this but I am a little confused with the answers I read, (my 71 year old brain gets confused easily these days.) I ...

Dynamics GP Web Services installation error
On running the installer for Dynamics GP Web Services, I immediately receive the error: "The eConnect installation cannot be found" upon which the installer completes without doing anything. Not only is eConnect (9.0) installed, I tried to un-install and then re-install. No help. Running Dynamics GP 9.0 w/ SP1 Any ideas? There is an installation file for econnect. The installation file for eConnect and Web Services need to be in the same folder when you run the web services installation. I ran into the same problem and did the same things. -- Charles Allen, MVP &quo...

Alert for modification/update of cases
I have recently installed CRM 3 professional and i've come across a feature that our sharepoint server has that CRM doesn't and i would like to know if it is possible to achieve this. Anytime anyone updates or changes something on sharepoint list/discussion board the user can opt to have an email sent to them informing them that something has changed on that particular board or list. Can the same thing be done in CRM for cases? -- Regards, Matt Yes, you could do this with a post-callout. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com...

Keyboard shortcut for editing links with updating
Can some one post the keyboard shortcut: When editing a link in a worksheet I don't want it update with new value when I hit Enter because it takes long to update(going over anetwork) and have many links to edit. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi there, There isn't a shortcut that I know of per se - what you can do is go to Tools-->Options on the Calculation tab change it from Automatic to Manual. This will apply to all links and calculatio...

Issues Installing Hotfix for KB 931270
Good Afternoon All, I have a couple of users who are running the new client installer for CRM. They were both experiencing the Outlook Crashes due to CRM so I requested the Hotfix installer from Microsoft. There were two msp files that MS sent me, one for the desktop client and one for the laptop client. When I attempted to run the Hotfix installer on 1 desktop machiner and 1 laptop machine, the installer will flash on the screen for about 3-5 seconds and then disappear. I have tried running the installer numerous times, starting the installer and leaving it for an hour, and other ...

Update type conversion error with nulls
I need to simply divide one currency value by another currency value. Sounds simple????? Here are two sql statements I've tried. Most records are null, it is only the ones that I want to update and close that will have a value in Net_PL. UPDATE Diagonal SET Diagonal.Final_ROR = IIf([Diagonal]![Net_PL] Is Null,0,[Diagonal]![Net_PL]/[Diagonal]![Tr_Trade_Risk]); UPDATE Diagonal SET Diagonal.Final_ROR = Nz([Diagonal]![Net_PL])/Nz([Diagonal]![Tr_Trade_Risk]); I get the error message "...didn't update x number of fields due to a type conversion error......."...

How to update a link field with preserve format using VBA?
HI All, How to update a link field with preserve format using VBA? Anthony Without knowing more about what you are trying to do it is difficult to advise. You could for example switch to print preview and back or you could use the example code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm both of which will update fields in your document. If, as your e-mail address suggests, this is a link to an Excel range then I suspect your concern may be more to do with maintaining the formatting than updating the field. That will depend on the type of link you have inserted. If you ...

Can't update private meeting on room resource
I have a room resource that everyone has author access to. One of the users keeps marking the meetings as Private. When he needs to change something on the appointment, it shows the following messages: One or more recipients in this item were not usable. You need to recreate this address. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation. I have to open the mailbox of the resource and update the meeting. Then the user has to remove the resource from the update request. Is this normal? Do I have the permissions set incorrectly? ...