Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
including the updates that go with them? ..

Hello sherlockomes,

you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
with the error 80070643.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
-=-

Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
after doing so:

How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

    How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

    1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

sherlockomes wrote:
> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

0
PA
6/8/2010 9:54:07 PM
Thanks for info..Followed link and used repair tool for .NET Framework then
tried to re-install update with no success.I took a chance and just
un-installed the .NET 1.1 framework from add/remove programmes which also
removed all the previous 1.1 Framework fixes with it.I then re-installed it
via wndows updates with success.I restarted computer and then checked for
windows updates as normal which included KB979906 and it installed perfectly
without any errors.The earlier hotfixes did not appear as necessary updates
so i  can only imagine they are now no longer required as KB979906 perhaps
incorporates all necessary fixes but i am only guessing.
  Luckily i did not have to uninstall all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
3.5 and reinstall them which would be a long process but the quick
alternative worked ok for me (so far)....

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello sherlockomes,
>
> you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
> with the error 80070643.
>
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
> -=-
>
> Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ©¿©¬
> -=-
>
> "sherlockomes" wrote:
>
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> > having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> > including the updates that go with them? ..
Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2 people .Net
not working.

It seems these two are causing the problems:

KB979909
KB982168

We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
what's going on.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
> after doing so:
>
> How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187
>
> If no joy, see...
>
> When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
> receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>
> Then proceed per the following:
>
> =====================
>
> Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
> versions are currently installed:
>
>     How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>
> After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
> Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
> you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
> then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.
>
> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
> Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
> Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>
> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
> Framework versions in the following order:
>
>     1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
>     2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>     3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>
> NB: KB923100 references this page:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
> ALL of it as well as the related page
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>
> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
> updates offered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> sherlockomes wrote:
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> > without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> > 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..
>
> .

What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2 computers.
Who knows why but only you can fix it.

See my previous reply or...

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

TruckerHarley wrote:
> [...]
>> read
>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>
>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
>> updates offered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> sherlockomes wrote:
>>> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
>>> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
>>> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it
>>> safe
>>> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
>>> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3
>>> and
>>> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

0
PA
6/9/2010 4:05:36 PM
It's .net.  They barf.  Their "servicing" process sucks.  There's no way
to predict what machines may have patching issues or not.  You just have
to be ready when .NET has updates.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling
>>> .NET Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0
>>> SP2;
>>> then Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your
>>> .NET
>>> Framework versions in the following order:
>>>
>>>     1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
>>>     2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>>>     3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>>>
>>> NB: KB923100 references this page:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.
>>> Please read
>>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>>
>>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security

0
Susan
6/9/2010 6:11:44 PM
No need to preach to the bass section of the choir, m'dear...

Susan Bradley wrote:
> It's .net.  They barf.  Their "servicing" process sucks.  There's no way
> to predict what machines may have patching issues or not.  You just have
> to be ready when .NET has updates.
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2
>> computers. Who knows why but only you can fix it.
>>
>> See my previous reply or...
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909
>>
>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
>> 1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or
>> 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
>> your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls
>> that are associated with security updates.  When you call, clearly
>> state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
>> update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).
>>
>> Or you can...
>>
>> Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>>
>> Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates
>> also can visit the following page for assistance:
>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
>> Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>>

>> TruckerHarley wrote:
>>> Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2
>>> people .Net
>>> not working.
>>>
>>> It seems these two are causing the problems:
>>>
>>> KB979909
>>> KB982168
>>>
>>> We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
>>> what's going on.

0
PA
6/9/2010 11:20:31 PM
Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
Mike

On 2010-06-10 11:53 a.m., unclemikenebr wrote:

> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?

  ... I wasn't aware that anybody had. :-)

   Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed

unclemikenebr wrote:
> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
<snip>

0
PA
6/10/2010 12:45:07 AM
Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).

It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.

As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE of
these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
the first place!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Same problem here on my PC.  The MS TS email response I got was (basically
the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
those who come after):

The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time,
please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

 Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool

================================

1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
[Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]

 2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link
to the local Desktop and extract it.

3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.

4. Please follow the instructions given.

In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
versions".

5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.

6. Restart the computer.

 After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

Please download and install the following updates in order.

 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

 Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

 Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all
the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

R. Melville wrote:
> Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
> have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).
>
> It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.
>
> As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
> the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE of
> these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
> information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
> the first place!

Programs and applications that were installed by the OEM or you have
installed require the .NET Framework in order for them to function.
ATI's Catalyst Control Center and Quicken are 2 such apps/programs
amongst many others.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
6/10/2010 5:45:00 PM
That fix method will only make matters worse if .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is
installed & removed!

remdds wrote:
> Same problem here on my PC.  The MS TS email response I got was (basically
> the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
> those who come after):
>

> The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this
> time,
> please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
>
> Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool
>
> ================================
>
> 1. Please download the tool from the following link:
>
> http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
> [Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
> company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
> otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]
>
> 2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above
> link
> to the local Desktop and extract it.
>
> 3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
>
> 4. Please follow the instructions given.
>
> In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
> versions".
>
> 5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
>
> 6. Restart the computer.
>
> After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
> to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.
>

> Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

> Please download and install the following updates in order.
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
> 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe
>
> Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
> follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading
> all
> the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

0
PA
6/10/2010 5:58:25 PM
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

R. Melville wrote:
> Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first
> time
> I have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).
>
> It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.
>
> As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed
> that
> the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from  the control panel indicated that NONE
> of these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
> information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
> the first place!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

0
PA
6/10/2010 5:58:39 PM
Had to run this same scenario last October for KB953297. It gets irritating
to have to run this time consuming fix again in less than 1 year. Would like
to underline the word irritating.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Another county heard from...]
>
> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>

> unclemikenebr wrote:
> > Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
> <snip>
>
> .

I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.

We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
install those two patches!!

A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...

J:confused:

--
j_65_uk

j_65_uk
6/10/2010 8:34:34 PM
 Hi j: I started this thread looking for an answer and although i recommend
PA BEAR [MS MVP]'s solution of complete removal and intallation of all the
..NET Frameworks in correct prescibed order as being safest method, i took a
risky shortcut (as i always do) and just uninstalled the .NET 1.1 Framework
alone and then just reinstalled it again as i am a bit lazy.I was very
pleased when i checked for updates the problem KB979906 was there and
installed perfectly without a hitch.I have had no problems since then
(although it is early days). I think the problem is that the .NET 1.1
Framework has become corrupt with all the fixes and patches so a simple
re-installation does the trick.
 I hope you could maybe try this as an option for all your computers but
don't blame me if it is unsuccessful. I am practical but no computer buff. It
is worth a try though if your only other alternative is complete removal /
re-installation of all .NETs. on all 200 machines. cheers S...omes

"j_65_uk" wrote:

> I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
> Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
> kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.
>
> We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
> install those two patches!!
>
> A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
> frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...
>
> J:confused:
>

> --
> j_65_uk
>
> .

I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less than
two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this corruption - the
only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall everything...

I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because it's
the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there just
a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?
@PA Bear,
That was an AT&T vulnerability, not an Apple vulnerability as originally
reported.

@Harry,
Yeah, people are switching - or simply buying Macs to begin with -
especially students.  I run Hackintosh on all my home PCs for better
performance than I can get with Windows 7.

I'm also having the problem described in this thread, and as of Patch
Tuesday, I now have three patches backed up that won't install on one of my
servers.  Thanks to all who've posted here.
-Katapaltes

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Another county heard from...]
>
> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>

> unclemikenebr wrote:
> > Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
> <snip>
>
> .

If the shoe fits, ...

Katapaltes wrote:
> @PA Bear,
> That was an AT&T vulnerability, not an Apple vulnerability as originally
> reported.
>
> @Harry,
> Yeah, people are switching - or simply buying Macs to begin with -
> especially students.  I run Hackintosh on all my home PCs for better
> performance than I can get with Windows 7.
>
> I'm also having the problem described in this thread, and as of Patch
> Tuesday, I now have three patches backed up that won't install on one of
> my
> servers.  Thanks to all who've posted here.
> -Katapaltes
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Another county heard from...]
>>
>> Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
>> http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed
>>

>> unclemikenebr wrote:
>>> Who has time for this?  Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
>>> <snip>
>>
>> .

0
PA
6/11/2010 9:33:00 PM
What solution?  Without quoting the post you're replying to, who knows what
your talking about?

Tiletron wrote:
> I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less
> than two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this corruption
> - the only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall
> everything...
>
> I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because
> it's
> the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there
> just a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?

0
PA
6/11/2010 9:33:34 PM
The HoopleHeads are on the loose!

: What solution?  Without quoting the post you're replying to, who knows
what
: your talking about?
:
:
: Tiletron wrote:
: > I'm afraid that solution won't work for me. I've had my machine for less
: > than two years from Dell and it's the second time it's had this
corruption
: > - the only way to fix it was to backup my stuff and reinstall
: > everything...
: >
: > I suspect this problem is never really going to go away, simply because
: > it's
: > the way Dell fiddle with the OS so their hardware can work!  Isn't there
: > just a simple direct-download link for this file like everything else?
:

0
Bickford
6/11/2010 9:52:39 PM
Ok, I am going to post this alternative in hopes that it works for someone
else:
Download the manual install file from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5e55ee58-f00a-4237-bddc-492b63a18b96
Save the file then shutdown all programs (IM Programs like MSN and Yahoo,
Outlook, etc) that access the internet. Next turn off ALL internet
communications and disable the wi-fi.
Run the downloaded program and it should install without incident.
Worked for me & I didn't have to reinstall the .NET framework.

(I hope this solves the problem, I can not begin to say how much all of you
have helped me in the past, so this is me trying to give a little back)

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
Hei
jeg har det samme probleme

"Sherlockomes" skrev:

> Kjører: Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
> Har forsøkt installere KB979906 et par ganger og også ned oppdatering
> Manuelt, men ikke kan installere denne oppdateringen. Motta feilen 0x643.Is det trygt å
> Avinstallere. NET Framework 1.1 og re-installer som muligens korrupt, uten
> Å måtte avinstallere / re-installere alle andre. NET rammeverk 2, 3 og 3,5
> Inkludert oppdateringer som går med dem? ..
Here's what works for me, and how I got there. Note that I'm a mac user, and
don't have the patience for the long drawn up fixes.

A long time ago, I ran into a similar problem. An old version of Norton
Utilities found a several missing files in the .Net installations. I copied
these files from backups, ran the updaters, and everything seemed to work. I
also saved a copy of the missing files in case the problem recurred. It did.

This time around, here's what was missing from my installation:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\_dataperfcounters.h

In the past, other files that have disappeared include
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CORPerfMonSymbols.h

After copying these files over, I ran Windows update, and the patch worked
this time.

Your results may vary.

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..
I'm using XP Pro SP3.  I've got the same KB979906 won't install problem.
I've downloaded a copy of the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 file, dotnetfx.exe.
If I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 using the Add or Remove Programs function
in Control Panel, and then run this dotnetfx.exe file, is that what you are
describing you have done that worked?
Thanks for your help.

"sherlockomes" wrote:

>  Hi j: I started this thread looking for an answer and although i recommend
> PA BEAR [MS MVP]'s solution of complete removal and intallation of all the
> .NET Frameworks in correct prescibed order as being safest method, i took a
> risky shortcut (as i always do) and just uninstalled the .NET 1.1 Framework
> alone and then just reinstalled it again as i am a bit lazy.I was very
> pleased when i checked for updates the problem KB979906 was there and
> installed perfectly without a hitch.I have had no problems since then
> (although it is early days). I think the problem is that the .NET 1.1
> Framework has become corrupt with all the fixes and patches so a simple
> re-installation does the trick.
>  I hope you could maybe try this as an option for all your computers but
> don't blame me if it is unsuccessful. I am practical but no computer buff. It
> is worth a try though if your only other alternative is complete removal /
> re-installation of all .NETs. on all 200 machines. cheers S...omes
>
> "j_65_uk" wrote:
>

> > I run a network of over 200 machines and use WSUS to deploy our
> > Windows/Microsoft patches. Since patch tuesday (2 days ago) kb979906
> > kb979909 were approved and sent out to all machines.
> >
> > We now have 68 (and increasing) machines all showing errors trying to
> > install those two patches!!
> >
> > A full removal of .net is simply not an option so this is very
> > frustrating - I'll watch this thread with interest...
> >
> > J:confused:
> >

> > --
> > j_65_uk
> >
> > .

RE-Installing

Total a column from sheet 2 based on value in sheet 1
Col B Col C Col F Mary Team 1 $331.00 George Team 1 $222.00 Sam Team 2 $186.00 Tom Team 2 $100.00 Above is an example of my data on Sheet 2. On Sheet 1, I want to total all the total funds raised per Team shown on Sheet 2. I am trying to create a summary of what each team raised. I tried using the formula: =SUM(('sheet 2'!F2:F482=Sheet1!B2)) and I get just a dash in my total col. Can anyone provide some help? Thanks Look in HELP for the SUMIF() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Nee...

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Page Numbering (Starting Number Other Than 1)
I am at a loss as to how to start page numbering with number other than 1. I am using Office Pro 2003 with Publisher 2002. When I go to Tools/Options, I do not find the familiar menu "Start Numbering With . . " menu. What to do?? Regards, Bill Go to Page 1, Insert|Section -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "Bill" <russeng@kiowaonline.net> wrote in message news:09b701c4257b$9d972530$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am at a loss as to how to start page numbering with > number other than 1. I am using Office Pro 2003 with > Publisher 2002. > When I ...

Value Pak Installer

ADModify.net
where can i download latest ADModify.net ? http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 It's currently down for maintenance, but should be back in a few hours... "drpepper" <drpepper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:100642C4-A0B8-4A89-A4A3-10FEB15B0C06@microsoft.com... > where can i download latest ADModify.net ? That site is not available.. I been to that site already.. is there another site ? Also, can ADmodify move exchange objects by exchange mailbox server ? Is hard to specify by users if i ...

1 email fill my queue!!!!
Hi, I'm testing a deployment of the CRM 1.2. I test the exchange filter to get email sent to support@company.com. This works fine... but... every 30minutes the same email is added to the queue again!!!! I have done 2 tests, and these 2 emails are copied every 30minutes... what's wrong??? thanks Jerome ok its corrected I have omit to check the "associated external account" option in the Exchange advanced options. "J�j�" <willgart_A_@hotmail_A_.com> wrote in message news:%23AviAQxgFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'm testing a...

M2003 updates error
I have been getting this since last evening: "An unknown error has occurred. Please try the operation again. If the problem persists, reinstall Money from your original product disks" Anyone else seeing this? Any easier way to resolve this than re-installing Money? The program seems to be working fine otherwise ... -- Aloke --- to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com ...

Installation #4

Installer for my access application

Locate existing record-update it on the form
I placed a command button on a form and want to use it to search for an existing record and then populate the form with that record so I can update/add to it. The form's record source is a table (tblRFPTracking). I'm having a mental block on how to accomplish this and appreciate any help. Linda Here's one approach... Add a combobox (unbound) to the form (I stick mine in the header). Have that combobox list the records available for editing. I usually only include the bare minimum necessary to distinguish one record from another. Use a query to "feed" t...

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Installing XP over Linux

Security Update error code
The automatic security download from Microsoft has tried several times to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Win2000 and WinXP KB979906 and the installation has failed. Error code is O or 0x643. I am using WinXP Home Edition, Ver 5.1 and SP3. No help from MX on-line do-it-yourself stuff. Not sure what to do next. Any help or suggestions? -- Pink Lady [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup] OPTION A: See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906 For home users, no-charge support is available by calli...

CRM SBS install error

Re: How to remove xmlns attribute from XML document (.net)
Here is an updated link: Prevent Namespace Prefixes from Being Copied to the Output http://www.braintrove.com/Xslt/Articles/8/Prevent-Namespace-Prefixes-from= -Being-Copied-to-the-Output --=20 Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP] Visit Brain Trove ( http://www.BrainTrove.com ) ...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL SPELL CHECK?
Go to www.c360.com. You can download a small spellcheck "add-on" that works with iespell. It's free and it works well. Regards, John ...

Excel won't start after install
After installing office XP excell goes through the motions but never actually starts...help Jon, Try the following: Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010701c3aad2$20f75500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing office XP excell goes through the > motions but never actually starts...help ...