Cannot access windows update via Control Panel

But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
windowsupdate from the Tools menu.

When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
    1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
    2. Click the Security tab.
    3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
    4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
    5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
           * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
           * http://*.windowsupdate.com

I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
went from IE6 to IE8.

Using XP Pro.

0
richard

richard wrote:
> But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
> windowsupdate from the Tools menu.
>
> When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
>     1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
>     2. Click the Security tab.
>     3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
>     4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
>     5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
>            * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>            * http://*.windowsupdate.com
>
> I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
> idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
> went from IE6 to IE8.
>
> Using XP Pro.

Was the installed security software (antivirus/security suite) actively
monitoring the system when IE8 was installed ?

BTW, add this site to Trusted Sites, also:

http://update.microsoft.com

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
3/17/2010 6:45:02 PM
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Is this a sudden, new problem?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

richard wrote:
> But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
> windowsupdate from the Tools menu.
>
> When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
>    1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
>    2. Click the Security tab.
>    3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
>    4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
>    5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
>           * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>           * http://*.windowsupdate.com
>
> I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
> idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
> went from IE6 to IE8.
>
> Using XP Pro.

0
PA
3/17/2010 6:56:31 PM
On 3/17/2010 2:56 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.

The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
and select Update from the Tools menu.

Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.

And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
--but still no joy.
0
richard
3/17/2010 7:35:58 PM
On 3/17/2010 3:35 PM, richard wrote:
> On 3/17/2010 2:56 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
>> reply.
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?

>> bought it)?
>
> I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
> Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
> apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.
>
> The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
> always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
> and select Update from the Tools menu.
>
> Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.
>
> And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
> --but still no joy.

New info: I discovered that if I go to Control Panel and then to
Security--in the column on the left side of the screen there is an
option to get updates--that works!
BUT, when I first call up the Control Panel, there is a column on the
left side of the screen that includes under See Also: Windows Update.
That is the one that does not work and which gets me the message that I
quoted in my earlier post. And that is the one that used to work in the
past.
So, I have no idea why that one works no longer or why the one in the
Security screen does. Baffling.
0
richard
3/17/2010 8:30:39 PM
richard wrote:

> I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
> Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
> apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.
>
> The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
> always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
> and select Update from the Tools menu.
>
> Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.
>
> And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
> --but still no joy.

*Please specify exactly* what you use to do in Control Panel to access
Windows Update, Richard.

Can you access Windows Update from the link on the Start Menu ?

FWIW, XP can be manually updated via the Start Menu link as that opens
IE to the WU site.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
3/17/2010 8:33:09 PM
Are you sure the computer doesn't update via WSUS (seeing as Forefront's
installed)?

What AV app was installed before Forefront?  Was a Norton or McAfee free
trial preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?  Which was installed
first, IE8 or SP3?

richard wrote:
> On 3/17/2010 2:56 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
>> reply.
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?

>> bought it)?
>
> I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
> Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
> apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.
>
> The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
> always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
> and select Update from the Tools menu.
>
> Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.
>
> And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
> --but still no joy.

0
PA
3/17/2010 11:07:01 PM
"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message

> New info: I discovered that if I go to Control Panel and then to
> Security--in the column on the left side of the screen there is an option
> to get updates--that works!

> BUT, when I first call up the Control Panel, there is a column on the left
> side of the screen that includes under See Also: Windows Update. That is
> the one that does not work and which gets me the message that I quoted in
> my earlier post. And that is the one that used to work in the past.
> So, I have no idea why that one works no longer or why the one in the
> Security screen does. Baffling.

Use Fiddler2 and ProcMon to find out.   My guess is that one is so obsolete
that there is no longer a redirect for it (e.g. assuming the symptom is
caused by a problem with HTTP); otherwise ProcMon could show you what
program and command line is being used in each case.   FWIW I'm not on XP
now but IIRC there is a stub program which initiates a session with the WU
site which initially is not IE.   Remember that when XP first came out we
didn't even have WUv4.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert

Hiding macros in macro popup window
Hello, Is there a way to suppress display of procedures in the macro window the user can run from the Tool menu from Excel? I can't make the subs private since they are in a general module and called from worksheet event procedures. Regards PO 1. Add "Option Private Module" at the top of the module or 2. Add an argument to the subs... Sub ValuableInformation (ByRef blnDummy as Boolean) End Sub Of course, then all calls to the sub would require an argument. or 3. Add an optional argument... Sub ConfusingData (Optional ByRef blnStuff As Boolea...

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

How to fill docking window client area with CFormView?
Hello, I would like to fill the client area of my docking window with the view of a CFormView derived class. But somehow the create method of the CFormView seams not to be accessible. Give it another possibility to do this? I also tried a CDialog derived class but I don’t know how to make that it becomes child of my docking window. Knows someone an example? Best regards, Thomas Are you using a CDialogBar? AliR. "Thomas Sedlaczek" <ThomasSedlaczek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5626D53-07B8-40A3-945A-E96592575C22@microsoft.com... > Hello, > >...

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

can you make one worksheet update another
I have two similar worksheets within the same workbook. One sheet is sorted by name and the other sheet is sorted by a date for a speicfic name. Is there a way to change the date on the sheet, sorted by name, and that will automatically find the name on the other sheet(sorted by date) and change the date to the second sheet? Jaime, The normal way is to have one table, and sort it as needed when needed. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Jaime S." <Jaime S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

DATE update, on Save?
The only file, (in Doc Libr), does not have today's date. ? Is there some setting I need to make? ...

Upgraded to windows 7
i have just upgraded to windows from vista i reinstalled outlook and when i logged in my email account was totally empty i had about 60 emails saved to my account which now seem to be lost. i did a custom install and have a file called windows could my emails be in that file somewhere. any help would be great That might depend on what type of mail account, pop, imap or? Whether Win7 was a clean install? Outlook is not in any case a mail account A custom install of what? And what version of Outlook? "coolcl" <coolcl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Outlook Web Access #19

cannot update accounts
I have two seperate money files (one for my accounts, one for family accounts) - one is working perfectly as always, the second will not update any account. The family accounts are at the same institutions as my own accounts. I have tried every suggestion I could find. Can someone please suggest something... I use Money 2007 Deluxe on XP Pro SP2 In microsoft.public.money, GHM wrote: >I have two seperate money files (one for my accounts, one for family >accounts) - one is working perfectly as always, the second will not update >any account. The family accounts are at the sa...

Accounting with Ms Access

Frustrating problem with Windows Media Player
I opened Windows Media Player today and went to minimize it while I did other things, and it informed me that it would revert to it's miniplayer mode (the thing where it moves to the right side of the taskbar and makes a miniature player; not skin mode) and I checked the box that says "don't show me this message again" I don't even know why it was telling me this, since that is what it has until now always done, since I had already gotten that message and ok'd it ages ago. When I clicked "Ok", it did not revert to the miniplayer at all, and now...

Excel window keeps changing
Hi, I have a weird problem on my home computer while using Excel. If I don't use the screen for a few minutes, the Excel window shrinks to about a fourth of its size. So I have to click it again to either Maximize or resize to about 90% full size, which I prefer using. It is by no means a fatal fault, but verry annoying! Any pointers? Amer ...

BP3 Site Settings access