Automatic update non functional

When I try to start the automatic update service I get a message "Error
0x80070570 The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." Something
happened on 11/12/2009 when i startedup my computer after a month long
absence. Any suggestions??
--
Neil Morrison

Neil Morrison wrote:

> When I try to start the automatic update service I get a message "Error
> 0x80070570 The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." Something
> happened on 11/12/2009 when i startedup my computer after a month long
> absence. Any suggestions??

Neil,

*Which* edition of Windows and what Service Pack level is it now at ?

For XP, *right* click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu
and choose Properties. The information is under System:

For Vista \Win7, *right* click Computer either on the Desktop or Start
Menu and choose Properties. The information is under 'Windows edition'

You can reset the updating components by running the Fixit found on this
page:  How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

As to what happened on 11/12 ... hard to say. It may have been an
attempt to install the latest release of the Windows Update Agent, which
requires a reboot and the system was not restarted until then; it may be
an issue with an update that came out that week; it may be a sign of an
infection.

Please post the section of the WindowsUpdate.log that contains this
*specific* entry from 11/12 and the next 25 lines or so that shows the
installed 'target version = and 'required version = :

2009-11-12	08:01:12:351	 980	3d0	Setup	***********  Setup: Checking
whether self-update is required  ***********

Since this system has been updated to the latest release of the WUA, it
shows:

2009-11-12	08:01:12:351	 980	3d0	Setup	  * Inf file:
D:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Default\wsus3setup.inf
2009-11-12	08:01:12:471	 980	3d0	Setup	Update NOT required for
D:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll: target version = 7.4.7600.226, required
version = 7.4.7600.226
2009-11-12	08:01:12:551	 980	3d0	Setup	Update NOT required for
D:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll: target version = 7.4.7600.226, required
version = 7.4.7600.226

etc., etc.

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
0
MowGreen
11/14/2009 8:58:53 PM
My Windows version is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 3. I tried the Fixit and when it got to the point where it
required the Automatic Update Service to start up, I got a message that it
refused to start up. I am getting the same message as before when I try to
start it. How do I get at the "WindowsUpdate.log"? I have run all my various
malware scans and everything is clean, they say.
--
Neil Morrison

Neil Morrison wrote:
> My Windows version is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002
> Service Pack 3. I tried the Fixit and when it got to the point where it
> required the Automatic Update Service to start up, I got a message that it
> refused to start up. I am getting the same message as before when I try to
> start it. How do I get at the "WindowsUpdate.log"? I have run all my various
> malware scans and everything is clean, they say.

  ** What are you using to do the 'various malware' scans ? **

Have you tried Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) ?
http://www.malwarebytes.org
There's a free version available there.

Sorry, Neil, I forgot to include this:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Prior to running the Fixit, suggest you clean boot XP MCE:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

But, if the issue starting Automatic Updates is malware-related then
doing the above will prove fruitless.

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
0
MowGreen

Latest xp update causing Money to crash????
Ever since I installed the latest XP updates, Money 2005 keeps crashing on me. Anyone else experiencing this problem???? No issue here. Have you tried to restore to a point previous to the update? "JRB" <JRB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:219988AA-0980-4055-A772-835E45B9DB3F@microsoft.com... > Ever since I installed the latest XP updates, Money 2005 keeps crashing on > me. Anyone else experiencing this problem???? XP: eXtra Pain arthur == On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:40:27 -0800, JRB <JRB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ev...

Exchange 2000 SP3 updates ans security patches
I have Exchange 2000 Version 6.0 (Build 6249.4: Service Pack 3) running on Windows 2000 Server SP4. What is the best way of checking for missing security patches and updates? Would it be enough if I run MBSA 2.0 and rely on it only? MBSA is not showing any patches/updates missing however the above build number seems to me a lillte old comparing to those I saw when researching the web about Exchange 2000. Does the updates not change the build number? Thank you. "mtler" <mtler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have Exchange 2000 Version 6.0 (Build 6249.4: Service Pa...

Leopard 10.5.2 combo updater released!
This might help with a lot of the problems Office 2008 users are experiencing. Get this combo updater rather than using Software Updater to download. A combo updater will go back and rewrite files that could be corrupted. Software Updates are incremental updates. Mac OS X 10.5.2 Combo Update: 343 MB <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1052comboupdate.html> More on types of update file: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/combo.html> -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Ent...

Automatic CC

Instances doesn't get updated when the master stencil changes
Hi, I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master shape. At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds) and this is such a pain. How can I solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated, Max On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: >Hi, > &...

64 bit language pack and 64 bit cumulative update of december 2009
I want Project Server 2007 64 bits language pack. but i cant find this . In net there is language pack of project server 2007. but there is no define 64 bits. I need 64 bit language pack for 64 bits project server 2007 . and also I need cumulative update (december 2009) of 64 bit project server 2007 and windows sharepoint services 3.0 (64 bit) kindly tell me the correct link from where i will download. ...

Automatic axis format

Update global address book not working!
Hello, I've noticed that users I've setup over the last two days aren't appearing in the global address book in people's outlook but you can see them in the All Users Address book. Can someone inform me how to update this so the user is visable in the global address book. Thanks If you're running Outlook 2003 cached mode you're working off the offline address book, so start looking there. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "John D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Windows update problem. Clueless
Here is my windowsupdate.log for today, I cannot connect to windowsupdate website period. Not sure what is going on. Can someone help me decode this nonsense? 2010-05-25 17:20:51:671 1484 b98 AU ############# 2010-05-25 17:20:51:671 1484 b98 AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates 2010-05-25 17:20:51:671 1484 678 DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: Regulation Refresh [Svc: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}] *********** 2010-05-25 17:20:51:671 1484 678 DnldMgr Contacting regulation server for 20 updates. 2010-05-25 17:20:51:671 1484 b98 AU ######### 2010-05-25 17:20:51:687 1484 ...

Local Software Update service for Office 2004?
Is it possible to run a local software update server for Microsoft Office on my LAN? With my Xserves, I am using Software Update Service for Apple updates, but can't figure out if there is a way to run a local software update service without using my Internet connection. I can get it from the central servers fine, but was wondering if I could run a local server to manage the Office Updates and monitor the update levels per station. Phillip Remaker wrote: > Is it possible to run a local software update server for Microsoft > Office on my LAN? > > With my Xserves, I am using...

I cant get any updates to install.
Everything is on that is to be on. Any light would be great, thanks. -- Skip Rock Maybe you have them all? "Skip" <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CCB3033-4CD5-4197-A8A9-C4778A6636DA@microsoft.com... > Everything is on that is to be on. > Any light would be great, thanks. > -- > Skip Rock Skip wrote: > Everything is on that is to be on. > Any light would be great, thanks. Speaking of light... Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard) --> type...

Varying left criteria based on 1st Letter....If Function?
Hello, I am using Pivot Tables for Inventory purposes. I'd like to use a shortened description based on the first letter of the description. Can I use an If Statement? Such as if 1st letter of Description is M - use 1st Left 5 characters, if 1st letter of description is L - use 1st Left 8 characters? Steve =IF(LEFT(A1)="M",LEFT(A1,5),IF(LEFT(A1)="L",LEFT(A1,8),"If not then display this")) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�--...

Font will not function correctly

FW: Try corrective update
--lkdjfwcphrqtozfp Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ygblvpmg"; type="multipart/alternative" --ygblvpmg Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="lcxxrzqr" --lcxxrzqr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain the security of yo...

Automatic Forward
How can I automatically forward messages received from a specific sender to another's e-mail person? Thanks, ...

CE6: How to Disable SIP popup automatically
Hi, I know SIP popup can be disabled by the following registry setting in CE5: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] "TurnOffAutoDeploy"=dword:1 But It doesn't work in CE6. How to disable SIP auto-Popup in CE6? Thanks. Eric The SIP Auto Deploy in CE is due to Windows Controls invoke SHSipPreference (exported by AYGSHELL.DLL). So the easiest way is to avoid including AGYSHELL (SYSGEN_AYGSHELL) But if excluding AYGSHELL is not an option, you may need to modify the SHSipPreference (PRIVATE\SHELL\SHELLPSL\HAVEAYGSHELL\shellpsl.cpp) to supress SIP s...

how do i update assigned tasks when completed
I get an email back to say the task is complete but it hasn't updated the task on my list with the information. Do i have to update it myself? If a copy of the task remains in the sent folder and its not updated when you open the update message, yes, you need to do it yourself. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSL...