Any hope for error update error code 80070490

Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to check for
updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.

All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?

Copied яesponse from MowGreen  [MVP]

   MowGreen 11/10/2009 7:17 PM PST

  For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212>

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the  installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
<http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx>

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update Services
changes in content for 2010
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199>

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have to
be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen
======

OR

Here is the thread which has many potential steps you may try for the issue
related to the same:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8&mid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8>
-=-

taracc wrote:
> Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to
> check for updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.
>
> All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?

Operating System?
Service Pack level?
Was this a *used* computer?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/22/2010 11:53:43 PM
   • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

   • Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

taracc wrote:
> Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to check for
> updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.
>
> All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?

0
PA
6/23/2010 12:22:01 AM
For the many affected that are scouring the Net for a solution to this
problem there is hope! After much digging I found the "System Update
Readiness Tool for Windows" (REF:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us).

After installing this tool / update on a Vista SP1 x86 installation I was
able to download the > 90 updates available. Please note that the fix took
some time to complete and I rebooted the affected machine before downloading
and installing the delta updates.

Hope this is helpful!

Richard A. Schwartz

Sr. Consultant, Avanade Inc.

"taracc" wrote:

> Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to check for
> updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.
>
> All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?

Updating DSV Deletes All named Queries
I have a project to build multiple Report Builder (RB) models utilizing the same underlying database. Each model will have its own DSV due to the fact that each model will be based upon a business department's needs. During the course of developing these models, the underlying database was changed quite a bit due to an application upgrade. Whenever I try to update the changes to the underlying database in the RB data source veiws (DSV), all named queries get deleted form the DSVs. I have tried to use the 'refresh" option in the DSV and I have tried to used the ...

Internal Error
I get a "Money has encountered an Internal Error" message when I start Money. It does it twice, then goes back to my desktop. Any ideas? I have backups. Thanks. Try to start the sample.mny file - you can double click the file to launch it. Do not change it. Exit if it displays okay. If that fails too then the question is. did you change anything to your system like software or hardware? arthur == On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:41:01 -0700, William <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get a "Money has encountered an Internal Error" message when I start ...

Account Balance Incorrect
Hey everyone, I am writing from work so don't have the particular's, but I received an error the other day in money saying roughly that there was an error with the was that money stores my information that may result in account balances being incorrect. It said that money would try and fix the problem itself. It didn't so hear I am... My account balance is very very negative when I look in account summary. When I look in the account details and view all transactions, the correct bank balances are shown. However, if I show only unreconciled transactions (preferred for my vi...

Bar Codes not Scanning the Bar Code Printer
We have a set up using a Zebra Barcode Printer and a MetroLogic Scanner. For some reason, the Scanner will not scan the bar code the printer puts out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and the sooner the better!) Thanks in advance Doug I'm going to assume that the scanner is reading preprinted barcodes fine and that this is limited to labels printed on this particular printer. Make sure the barcode is not running off one edge of the label. Along the same lines, make sure the barcode is not too close to the label edge - if it's too close, the edge can be read as an ...

Export to XLS error: A file error has occurred...
Running Win 7 64-bit Ultimate and Office 2003 When I try to export my contacts to an Excel Spreadsheet, the following message appears: Title Bar: Translation Error Text: A file error has occurred in the translator while trying to save a field map. The file "C:\Documents and Settings\ReleaseEngineer.MACROVISION\Application Data\Microsoft Excel.ADR" was not found by the translator. Check the spelling of the file name and path. If the file is on a network or an external device, the volume must be mounted and registered with the system. Huh? MACROVISION? Documents and Se...

SystemPages and 9665 error
I have Exchange 2003 sp1 running on Windows 2003, single Exchange with P4, 2GB RAM, 64GB drive for 30 users about 11GB of space taken for private store. I applied /3GB userva=3030 in boot.ini and HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold = 0x00040000 SystemPages is setup to 0x000c3000 (798720) from installation. Shortly after that I started getting 9665 error. I recently found info that it SystemPages should be between 24000 and 31000. Any direction which setting is best and if we should change it manually? ...

CAsyncSocket::OnClose() giving errors on -1
For some reason my CAsyncSocket derivative is being passed -1 to the parameters of its OnClose() member. According to the MSDN, the VC++ 6.0 version of CAsyncSocket::OnClose() should be passed 0, or a series of WSAE macros which are in the 10000 range. What does it mean if I get -1? ...

Program Error: OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
I get this continuous program error: "OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. you will need to restart the program. An error log is being created" I am using: MS Windows 2000 Pro SP 4 MS Outlook 2000 SR 1 MS ActiveSync 3.71 MS Outlook Pocket Contact Synchronizer 1.2 Plaxo I have removed Plaxo, as this is the only program that I've loaded recently that could have caused this program error, as it must not work well with MS ActiveSync 3.7 or MS Outlook PCS. I have tried the knowledge base suggestions of renaming extend, removing add-ins while in outlo...

Save after adding or updating a field.
Hello. In Code Builder what do I write so that I can have the field save after a adding new data or updating the info in it? Thanks. Iram/mcp ...

Unspecified Error
I have a couple of users on Windows XP with Outlook 2003, using Exchange 2003 Enterprise. If a message is started, and user is interrupted for a period of time, when they try to send the message, it pops up an unspecified error. If the message is copied to a new message, with the same recipients, it will send. It only happens when there is a delay between typing the email, and sending it. I have searched Microsoft, and the web, but have not found anything that resolves the issue. Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide. In news:b7e9d86b3a5f4f6a8995a84fb3cbe69c@ureader.com, L...

Bulk Update Clsoed Opportunities
Do you know whether it is possible to make bulk updates/edits to Closed Opportunities (they are read-only, so you can’t use the standard “Bulk Edit” function). Is there something that can be done via the web services API? Hi Clare, Yes, you may do it through the CRM web service SDK. You may checkout my blog for the code snippet. http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com/2008/12/close-opportunity-via-sdk.html Hope this helps. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe Horwath http://www.crowecrm.com On Dec 17, 4:38=A0am, Clare Norfolk <ClareNorf...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Do you...

Exchange crash hopefully last post
Hello Everyone, Thanks for your past replies. The errors I am getting after the motherboard crash and repair is the 7001 system attendant service which failed to start because of following error %%0. I am thinking about just doing a clean install on a new machine.Couple of question though. I am checking is these steps seem correct. I only had one w2k member server running as exchange server 2k. 1. Can I simply remove exhange through add/remove programs on this box. Is there anything else I need to do to remove exchange? 2. After removed should I run forestprep and domain prep again? The...

Calendar sync error for connector
i receive my e-mail in outlook and i am able to send e-mail. i am not able to sync my calendar from outlook to the web calendar. What is the exact error message? Did it ever work? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile? ...

DDE errors in Excel
I have a VB application from which I am attempting to open an Excel document via the ShellExecute function. Until just a few minutes ago, the function was calling Excel but was then generating a DDE error message and failing to open the document. I went into Windows Explorer and used Folder Options / File Types to change the command used to open .XLS files, removing the "/e" at the end of the command. Now the Excel document opens properly... but *the error message is still appearing*. The message appears in a window with a title of Microsoft Excel, and the message says &q...

GL Posting date is missing or invalid error message
Hello, When trying to post a Sales order through Sales transactions entry window, we get an error message 'General ledger posting date is invalid or missing' The dates seem correct. The fiscal periods are all set up correctly. This happens whether we try to post an individual transcation or a batch. The batch looks like it is posting, but all the posting reports have zero mamounts in them & the batch still sits there even after posting as if it has never been posted. We are running GP 8.00g34 What is causing this & how do we fix it? Thanks Did you recently change your pos...

MapViewOfFile Error
All: Code: SampleTransferType *FileBuffer; long FileSize = NumberOfSamples * sizeof(SampleTransferType); HANDLE hmem = ::CreateFileMapping((HANDLE) 0xFFFFFFFF, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, FileSize, FM_ADCMAPFILENAME); FileBuffer = (SampleTransferType*)::MapViewOfFile(hmem, FILE_MAP_WRITE, 0, 0, FileSize); MapViewOfFile is returning a NULL, and GetLastError() is returning an "Access Denied" when displayed using the FormatMessage() function. This error only happens when the FileSize goes over a certain size. Is there a limit to the size? -- Regards; Bruce Kingsley O...

Many of you hope for the same
That Kevin Panzke, our resident mental patient, would finally meet his personal garbage truck driven by a drunk driver. Today Kevin generated approx. 16 spamming messages which you don't see here, but we can see thru Google Groups and i wonder if FBI will finally take this guy seriously and end his trail of cretinism. "Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in message news:O0cWV1FtKHA.3660@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > That Kevin Panzke, our resident mental patient, would finally meet his > personal garbage truck driven by a...

Will online updates ever be reliable?
Maybe I just have too many accounts at the same institution, but it's very frustrating to not have reliable money updates. Am I alone? Should I be looking into other products or is this not MS Money specific? On 13 Dec 2006 18:20:25 -0800, "pat" <pcsmith811@gmail.com> wrote: >Maybe I just have too many accounts at the same institution, but it's >very frustrating to not have reliable money updates. Am I alone? >Should I be looking into other products or is this not MS Money >specific? I have Money do my updates directly with my banks, brokerages and cre...

XML Send Error
Hi, I'm trying to send (valid) XML using the function below and get an Access Denied Message on the line objXMLHTTP.send(xmldoc) when running the aspx on a Win2003 Server but the very same code works on Win2000 server. Private Function SendToSS3(ByVal Input As String) As String Dim xmldoc As New MSXML2.DOMDocument40 Dim objXMLHTTP As New MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP40 xmldoc.resolveExternals = False xmldoc.async = False '## Dim Loaded As String = xmldoc.loadXML(Input) objXMLHTTP.open("POST", https://sitename, False) objXMLHTTP.send(xmldoc) Loaded = xmldoc.loa...

Update apparently causes Outlook to lock up
I too did the Office security patches on 11/21/03 and Outlook now locks up and the goes to "not responding". I don't recall that there was an Outlook patch in the group; however, there was one for Word and as Outlook uses Word to format messages, I suspect that the patch for Word caused issues with Outlook XP. What are you doing when it locks up? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:403a01c3b131$39ad04e0$a601280a@phx.gbl, Jake w...

Invalid Add-in error message
When I open Outlook 2003, I keep getting the following error message: C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\outlvba.dll is not a valid Office Add-in. Then I am booted from Outlook. How can I fix this? Try renaming outlvba.dll to outlvba.bak. Go to the add/remove applet in the control panel and perform a detect and repair on Office/Outlook 2003. /neo ps - outlvba.dll normally exists at \Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ADDINS. I've never seen it under a user profile. "urbangirl" <urbangirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

report error message
Hi all, I have created a query, which runs just how it should do and shows the results I require, I created a report based on the query which again shows the correct resuts, I then created a pop up form for the user to enter criteria for the query, this works ok too and the report shows the correct results, but when I go to close the pop up form I get the error message below ? any help please "The Microsoft Office Database Engine cannot Find a Record in the table 'PartData' with key matching field(s) 'Boiler UIN' Here is my SQL info SELECT [Main Data T...

Cannot Run Report
I created some reports last year that totalled by Quarter. Everything ran good for me (Administrator) and the Office Manager (also an Administrator). The person taking over the Marketing Reports tried to run the reports himself the other day, and got the following error: An error has occured during report processing. (rsProceesingAborted) Query execution failed for data set 'blahblah_mscrm'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) EXECUTE permission denied on object 'Fn_GroupQuarter', database 'blahblah_mscrm', owner 'dbo'. I've run t...

No Baseline after each update
Hi, In our PWA site (MS project 2007), we have graphical indicators to measure our progress. When we create a project through Microsoft project professional we set base line (tools-tracking-set baseline) and then we publish it. In our project center view (in /PWA site) we can see the graphical indicators. The problem is when we update a task through PWA site (change percentage from My task or anything that needs save and publish again) it requires “save & publish” to get applied in project center. After we do “save and publish” through edit project properties we lose our...

Error changing document template after updates
Is there a Word or Windows update released in the last 2-3 months that could cause Word Templates to function incorrectly? Specifically, if Word is opened by an outside program, that program loads a file into Word, then tries to attach a different template to the document, it fails, throwing error 5947 - Could not change document template. This stopped working after windows update was ran on 11/10/09. Manually uninstalling all the updates from that time period allowed the code to work, but I cant tell our clients that in order to use our products they cant update windows. I'd l...