WMP will not play WAV files.

I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
error...
"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.

I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
OK.

My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
WMP version 11.0.5721.5263

Thanks in advance.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:25:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
>error...
>"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
>additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
>Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.
>
>I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
>OK.
>
>My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
>WMP version 11.0.5721.5263

See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio

Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil
12/1/2009 10:02:01 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:25:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
> >error...
> >"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
> >additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
> >Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.
> >
> >I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
> >OK.
> >
> >My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
> >WMP version 11.0.5721.5263
>
> See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
> playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
>
> Cheers - Neil
> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
> .
> Neil,
    Thanks for your input.
I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.

I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer), but
not with WMP.

Regards,
   GK.
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:51:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:25:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
>> >error...
>> >"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
>> >additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
>> >Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.
>> >
>> >I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
>> >OK.
>> >
>> >My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
>> >WMP version 11.0.5721.5263
>>
>> See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
>> playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
>>
>> .
>> Neil,
>    Thanks for your input.
>I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
>suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.
>
>I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer), but
>not with WMP.

Sorry to be so late, been ill with flu then trying to catch up.

So regardless of whether you believe it's not applicable to your
problem, what was the effect of actually trying the steps (updating
audio drivers etc) on media player ?

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio

"Q: I'm having sound problems (muffledness, echoes, errors, speed
issues, etc).
Q: I'm getting error 0x80040256 trying to play back content... "

"A: Check for sound card driver updates, both from your vendor and
from Windows Update"

WMP uses the strict "windows way" of delivering media in windows,
which doesn't correspond to the way many other players use the
hardware. So we're back to the question : What happens if you actually
try the proposed solution ?

Out of interest : When you clicked Web Help as proposed by the player,
you would have ended up at a web page at Microsoft. What was the exact
web address, copied and pasted from the web browser's address bar ?

Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil
12/10/2009 11:29:23 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:51:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> >> See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
> >> playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
> >>
> >> .
> >> Neil,
> >    Thanks for your input.
> >I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
> >suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.
> >
> >I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer), but
> >not with WMP.
>
> Sorry to be so late, been ill with flu then trying to catch up.
>
> So regardless of whether you believe it's not applicable to your
> problem, what was the effect of actually trying the steps (updating
> audio drivers etc) on media player ?
>
> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
>
> "Q: I'm having sound problems (muffledness, echoes, errors, speed
> issues, etc).
> Q: I'm getting error 0x80040256 trying to play back content... "
>
> "A: Check for sound card driver updates, both from your vendor and
> from Windows Update"
>
> WMP uses the strict "windows way" of delivering media in windows,
> which doesn't correspond to the way many other players use the
> hardware. So we're back to the question : What happens if you actually
> try the proposed solution ?
>
> Out of interest : When you clicked Web Help as proposed by the player,
> you would have ended up at a web page at Microsoft. What was the exact
> web address, copied and pasted from the web browser's address bar ?
>
> Cheers - Neil
> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
> .

Thanks again Neil.
The sound module is imbedded on the motherboard, and there are no newer
updates available.
"NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface" - Driver Date: 07/26/2005 -
Driver Version 6.14.465.0

I tried all the suggestions in http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio, and I am
not a novice, but the issue still persists.

When I click "Web Help" as proposed by the player,  goes to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5268&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=8007007E

I have also tried all the suggestions on that site.

Just discovered that WMP also will not play MIDI audio files.

Thanks,
  GK
8007007e is ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND , usually indicating that either the file is
corrupt or that the system is missing a DLL.

You might want/need to use System Restore here if reinstalling the relevant
software doesn't help. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:51:01 -0800, GK <GK@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:

>> >    Thanks for your input.
>> >I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
>> >suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.
>> >
>> >I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer),
>> >but
>> >not with WMP.
>>
>> Sorry to be so late, been ill with flu then trying to catch up.
>>
>> So regardless of whether you believe it's not applicable to your
>> problem, what was the effect of actually trying the steps (updating
>> audio drivers etc) on media player ?
>>
>> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
>>
>> "Q: I'm having sound problems (muffledness, echoes, errors, speed
>> issues, etc).
>> Q: I'm getting error 0x80040256 trying to play back content... "
>>
>> "A: Check for sound card driver updates, both from your vendor and
>> from Windows Update"
>>
>> WMP uses the strict "windows way" of delivering media in windows,
>> which doesn't correspond to the way many other players use the
>> hardware. So we're back to the question : What happens if you actually
>> try the proposed solution ?
>>
>> Out of interest : When you clicked Web Help as proposed by the player,
>> you would have ended up at a web page at Microsoft. What was the exact
>> web address, copied and pasted from the web browser's address bar ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
>> .
>>
> Thanks again Neil.
> The sound module is imbedded on the motherboard, and there are no newer
> updates available.
> "NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface" - Driver Date: 07/26/2005 -
> Driver Version 6.14.465.0
>
> I tried all the suggestions in http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio, and I
> am
> not a novice, but the issue still persists.
>
> When I click "Web Help" as proposed by the player,  goes to
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5268&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=8007007E
>
> I have also tried all the suggestions on that site.
>
> Just discovered that WMP also will not play MIDI audio files.
>
> Thanks,
>  GK

0
zachd
1/5/2010 3:23:50 AM
Thanks zachd for your input.
  Already tried all the basics, and I am not a novice.
WAV and MIDI files are good, they play fine on my other XP-Pro machines with
WMP-11, but not on this one.

I even (temporarily) restored a complete C-drive image from one year ago
which had WMP-10 installed, and still the same issue.

If the system is missing a DLL, and if I knew which DLL, then I could copy
that DLL from my other systems running the same version of XP-Pro and WMP-11.
But I don't think that is the case. MP3 audio and all types of video formats
will play fine with WMP.

Seems to be a compatibility issue between WMP and my sound module.

Thanks,
  GK.

===============

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> 8007007e is ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND , usually indicating that either the file is
> corrupt or that the system is missing a DLL.
>
> You might want/need to use System Restore here if reinstalling the relevant
> software doesn't help. =\
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> >> Sorry to be so late, been ill with flu then trying to catch up.
> >>
> >> So regardless of whether you believe it's not applicable to your
> >> problem, what was the effect of actually trying the steps (updating
> >> audio drivers etc) on media player ?
> >>
> >> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
> >>
> >> "Q: I'm having sound problems (muffledness, echoes, errors, speed
> >> issues, etc).
> >> Q: I'm getting error 0x80040256 trying to play back content... "
> >>
> >> "A: Check for sound card driver updates, both from your vendor and
> >> from Windows Update"
> >>
> >> WMP uses the strict "windows way" of delivering media in windows,
> >> which doesn't correspond to the way many other players use the
> >> hardware. So we're back to the question : What happens if you actually
> >> try the proposed solution ?
> >>
> >> Out of interest : When you clicked Web Help as proposed by the player,
> >> you would have ended up at a web page at Microsoft. What was the exact
> >> web address, copied and pasted from the web browser's address bar ?
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil
> >> ------------------------------------------------
> >> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
> >> .
> >>
> > Thanks again Neil.
> > The sound module is imbedded on the motherboard, and there are no newer
> > updates available.
> > "NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface" - Driver Date: 07/26/2005 -
> > Driver Version 6.14.465.0
> >
> > I tried all the suggestions in http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio, and I
> > am
> > not a novice, but the issue still persists.
> >
> > When I click "Web Help" as proposed by the player,  goes to
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5268&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=8007007E
> >
> > I have also tried all the suggestions on that site.
> >
> > Just discovered that WMP also will not play MIDI audio files.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  GK
>

> .

You could use windbg then to potentially track down where that error is
coming from.

MOD_NOT_FOUND might indicate that the sound module/driver is not properly
installed and/or nonfunctional.

Does dxdiag report any issues... ?

--
> Thanks zachd for your input.
>  Already tried all the basics, and I am not a novice.
> WAV and MIDI files are good, they play fine on my other XP-Pro machines
> with
> WMP-11, but not on this one.
>
> I even (temporarily) restored a complete C-drive image from one year ago
> which had WMP-10 installed, and still the same issue.
>
> If the system is missing a DLL, and if I knew which DLL, then I could copy
> that DLL from my other systems running the same version of XP-Pro and
> WMP-11.
> But I don't think that is the case. MP3 audio and all types of video
> formats
> will play fine with WMP.
>
> Seems to be a compatibility issue between WMP and my sound module.
>
> Thanks,
>  GK.
>
> ===============
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> 8007007e is ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND , usually indicating that either the file
>> is
>> corrupt or that the system is missing a DLL.
>>
>> You might want/need to use System Restore here if reinstalling the
>> relevant
>> software doesn't help. =\
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Thanks again Neil.
>> > The sound module is imbedded on the motherboard, and there are no newer
>> > updates available.
>> > "NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface" - Driver Date:
>> > 07/26/2005 -
>> > Driver Version 6.14.465.0
>> >
>> > I tried all the suggestions in http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio, and
>> > am
>> > not a novice, but the issue still persists.
>> >
>> > When I click "Web Help" as proposed by the player,  goes to
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5268&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=8007007E
>> >
>> > I have also tried all the suggestions on that site.
>> >
>> > Just discovered that WMP also will not play MIDI audio files.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >  GK
>>

>> .

0
zachd
1/21/2010 2:44:12 AM
Thanks again zachd.
1) I downloaded and installed "WinDbg", but how do I use to trace the
problem with WMP?
2) Sound module is installed properly, and driver is must current. Can play
"wav" and "mid" extensions with other media players (except with WMP).
3) Dxdiag is not reporting any problems.
=========================
"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> You could use windbg then to potentially track down where that error is
> coming from.
>
> MOD_NOT_FOUND might indicate that the sound module/driver is not properly
> installed and/or nonfunctional.
>
> Does dxdiag report any issues... ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks zachd for your input.
> >  Already tried all the basics, and I am not a novice.
> > WAV and MIDI files are good, they play fine on my other XP-Pro machines
> > with
> > WMP-11, but not on this one.
> >
> > I even (temporarily) restored a complete C-drive image from one year ago
> > which had WMP-10 installed, and still the same issue.
> >
> > If the system is missing a DLL, and if I knew which DLL, then I could copy
> > that DLL from my other systems running the same version of XP-Pro and
> > WMP-11.
> > But I don't think that is the case. MP3 audio and all types of video
> > formats
> > will play fine with WMP.
> >
> > Seems to be a compatibility issue between WMP and my sound module.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  GK.
> >
> > ===============
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> 8007007e is ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND , usually indicating that either the file
> >> is
> >> corrupt or that the system is missing a DLL.
> >>
> >> You might want/need to use System Restore here if reinstalling the
> >> relevant
> >> software doesn't help. =\
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.
> >> --
> >> "GK" <GK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

WMP and jscript
How can I, using jscript, retrieve the name of the data-stream or file that WMP is playing at the moment? My goal is to post the name in a specialized text log, which will have have "xxxx is playing at mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss" entries for each time a sample is taken from WMP. If this can't be done in jscript, perhaps vbscript? Or some other "batch" language? Your thoughts appreciated! Thanks. ....Charlie You can do this using the WMP Object Model, which is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd564679%28VS.85%29.aspx The sections regardi...

Cash Drawer will not pop open
We are using a Star SP 300 printer which connects the our cash drawer. The cash drawer used to pop open after a sale but no longer does. As far as I know nothing has changed. Any suggestions? Check your Tender Types - make sure the appropriate ones are still marked to "Pop cash drawer". Are you using OPOS or Windows drivers. If OPOS, make sure the Windows drivers are NOT installed. Also, check the cable - make sure that both ends are securely connected and that there's no damage to the cable itself. If you have a spare printer (always a good idea) try swaping the ...

transfer 98 Money file to XP Money
I have recently purchased an XPE computer. I was running MS Money on 98 Windows system. I would like to transfer my Money file to the new system. When I use the restore feature under XPE to upload my file, the system does not recognize the file. How do I transfer my data from one system to another? Don't use restore. Copy the, usually, My Money.mny file to the new PC. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "E...

What "function" will work to compare two columns of information?
Good morning. I have two columns of information (customer names). I need to compare the two columns. And when one name equals the name in the other column I need to place an x or flag that name. Help!!! Any direction would be much appreciated! Thanks, Scott Hi Scott! See: Chip Pearson: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates See the rest of that page for most of what you need on handling unique and duplicate data problems. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax a...

Credit Card on file
We are using GP 9.0 and in SOP we are entering the credit card payments for each invoice. I was curious to see if there was any way to keep a credit card on file for all of our customers. I know you can enter one on the customer card but what if they have a separate Visa, MC or AMEX that they use randomly. Any input on this or direction would be appreciated. I would think it would be a useful tool to have in GP or is it a 3rd party product. Thanks ...

Publisher will not print, but Word and EXCEL do
I have a printer problem using MS Office Publisher 2003. My friend just installed a Brother MFC-3820CN USB printer to his Windows XP Home (V2002 SP2) computer. He can print from his Word and EXCEL (2003) programs, but not his Publisher (2003 SP1) program. When the “Print” function is selected in Publisher, the following message appears: “A printer has not been installed on the system. Install a printer for Publisher to use. The fonts in your publication may look different as a result of the printer selection.” The printer functions fine in all the other programs. Currently, Publisher ...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Print Excel to Microsoft Document Image File (MDI)
On my home PC I can print files to a printer called Microsoft Document Imaging File (TIFF). I want to do the same on my work PC. It too has the MDI Program; but, I can't figure out how to set it up as a printer the way I do on my home system. Both run WindowsXP Pro as the OS. The real difference is that my home system is running Office Professional Edition 2003 with OneNote 2003. My work PC has Office 2002, with the MDI Program. My question...is there a way to set up a printer with MDI on my work PC with the software I have? Thanks in Advance! Dave David MODI should be p...

Where are Outlook 2007 Personal file folders located on my HD?
I would like to transfer all emails within a number of Outlook 2007 Personal mail folders from one computer to another. I know that I can zip each folder, but would like to zip all of them at once and copy the zip file to a USB drive. If I am able to do this, can I simply copy the zipped file to another computer, unzip the folder contents and place them in the correct location so that Outlook will see and list the folders (and the messages therein) on the second computer? Both computers have Outlook 2007. I think that I need the directory location (and file extension?) for the ...

Convert a SharePoint 2007 Calendar to a PDF File
Hi Everyone, As the subject says, can anyone advise if it is possible for me to convert an existing SharePoint calendar to a PDF file? I would then post the PDF version of the calendar on an external site so that people can download it to view the calendar. The external users don't need to edit, they only need read access to view the calendar. I know you can export to a calendar to an Excel spredsheet, however my client does not like this option. Thanks in advance, Vik Hello Vik, You definitely need to build this yourself. I'd advise you to buy a 3rd party ...

Outlook will not open #7

Hyperlink to TXT file
I have a TXT file that is created from another software program. I' like to create a hyperlink to that TXT file in Excel. When I click o the hyperlink I'd like the TXT file to open with Excel, not the defaul Notepad. Is this possible to do -- ranebo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ranebow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2373 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37403 You might be able to fiddle with your file associations--but I wouldn't do that. There's ...

File in Use problem
I'm revisiting some VBS scripts that I wrote several years ago to generate resumes for me (via Word macros) and would like some guidance on a couple of errors I am getting. I'll post about the two errors separately so that each has its own thread. My VBS script is pretty simple: ======================= ' Get arguments into variables If WScript.Arguments.Count > 0 Then MsgBox "Too many arguments; expecting none." WScript.Quit End If ' Find path for MyDocuments folder Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objFolder = o...

Highlighted box will not move.
Highlighted box will not move around with the arrow keys, why not? Screen shifts with arow keys, but need mouse to move to next box. Return key moves highlight as usual. Press the Scroll Lock button and try again. HTH Michael "kreule" wrote: > Highlighted box will not move around with the arrow keys, why not? Screen > shifts with arow keys, but need mouse to move to next box. Return key moves > highlight as usual. > ...

Money 98 file to Money 06
My .mny file from Money 98 will not open with Money 06. Any suggestions? Any error message? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Marilyn" <Marilyn @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4E30AC2-37BF-49AD-83F2-A70A791CB948@microsoft.com... > My .mny file from Money 98 will not open with Money 06. Any suggestions? ...

"Ghost" files in pictures library
WMP 12 Vista Home Premium I have deleted a number of pictures from my hard drive, but the file names continue to show up in Windows Media Player Pictures Library. How do I get rid of these? What exactly happens when you right-click these pictures, select Delete, choose "Delete from library only" or "Delete from library and my computer" (try both options), and click OK? If you rebuild the library through Tools - Advanced - Restore media library, does that help? Note that rebuilding the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too. ...

Outlook 97 Will Not Load Since Installing SP2
Sunsequent to installing SP2 my Outlook will no longer load. I use Office 97 on a Compaq Presario with XP installed. ...

Movie info in WMP
I use WMP 11 to stream movies from my PC to the XBox 360 on my TV. Movies that stream from Netflix, Zune, etc. have an area that provides a description of the movie, actors, etc. I also rip DVD's from my home collection to a media library on my PC and stream those to the XBox. Videos being streamed from my home PC also have an area for a description of the movie, but it is obviously blank. I would like to be able to add info here so that it is available when browsing through these movies, but have not been able to figure out how to add any such information. One suggestion w...

Oops, saved over and closed original xls file... (recovery possible?)
Please help me out here. Unfortunately I saved over an original file and then closed excel. Lost quite a bit of work. Thanks in advance, jermacg --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sorry, unless you have a back up file or you are on a Network which saves the days work, if you've overwritten your file its gone forever, Alan. "jermacg" <jermacg.ypfhz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jermacg.ypfhz@excelforum-nospam.com... > Please help me out here. Unfortunately I saved over an original file > and then closed excel. Lost quite a bit of...

Excel 2003 Will Not Save On Exit
I have a user whose Excel 2003 does not prompt to save on Exit. I have completely uninstalled Office and reinstalled but it still does not prompt him to save. For instance if he goes into excel and starts a new spreadsheet, never saves it and closes Excel he looses all his work. I have made sure Office is fully patched and up to date. Anyone have an idea how to solve this? Hi Tmyhlfgr, > I have a user whose Excel 2003 does not prompt to save on Exit. I have > completely uninstalled Office and reinstalled but it still does not prompt > him to save. Sounds like an addin is both...

rating files on WMP
I like rating my own music on my WMP, though the 5 star system seems a little limiting to me. i want to be able to rate at 1/4, 1/2 stars etc. I've tried. is this possible? might it be possible in the future? The "pre-rated" files have these rating, yet i personally can't rate my own music that way. i really want to be able to rate in fractions of a star. who can help or advise? apparently i'm using WMP 9.2. -- Media Player much preferred over iTunes Try this link for more info. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/m...

outlook will not allow me to import my roadrunner e-mail accounts.
I want to import both my roadrunner e-mail account into outlook and creat folders and have outlook blow these e-mails sent and recieved to their assigned folders. Outlook express has allowed me to import the e-mail, but I want to use outlook so I can use Business Manager too. I contacted roadrunner and talked to five different tech's and it would not work. Why not just enter them manually? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be delet...

Add RSS enclosures to WMP playlist
Is there any kind of functionality in outlook to add RSS enclosures of audio files to a windows media player playlist, or just dump them in a specific location? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make a VBA macro to do this, if not. ...

Unable to create a file in Workflow
Hi All, I created a workflow activity and this is my code. [CrmWorkflowActivity("CreateCustomActivity")] public sealed partial class CreateCustomActivity:Activity { protected override ActivityExecutionStatus Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) { FileStream file = new FileStream("C:\\sita\\invoice.txt", FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write); StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter("C:\\sita\\invoice.txt"); sw.Write("Sita Test"); sw.Close(); } } I put a breakpoint and I not...

Make a file save and close itself based on the value of a cell
If Sheet1!A1's value is = 1, then I would like for the file to save and then close itself. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Michael Try this Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1" '<== change to suit On Error GoTo ws_exit Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then If Target.Value = 1 Then Parent.Save Parent.Close End If End If ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub &...